Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Has a Rock 'n Roll moment ever resulted in a major change in your life ?
Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: October 14, 2009 22:31

Anything goes here. Does not need to be Stones-related, but I am guessing we will hear a few Stones stories.

I, honestly, cannot say that any single moment had a major change on my life but check this out:

I noticed a workmate of mine had one of those Grateful Dead stickers on his toolbox at work, so I said: "Hey man, you a Deadhead?"

His response:
Well, I was until August 9, 1995.
On the day Jerry Garcia died, I realized my childhood was over and it's time to get responsible, so that day I proposed to my wife.

My response to that: "Geez, dude!"

That guy has been married to the same lady since then, and she's practically young enough to be his daughter. Lucky bastard!

Anyone else have a life changing experience like this?

Re: Has a Rock 'n Roll moment ever resulted in a major change in your life ?
Posted by: ghostryder13 ()
Date: October 14, 2009 22:52

the day in 1981 when i heard either on 93.3 wmmr or 94wysp (can't remember which philly station) playing a live brodcast of the rolling stones at jfk stadium. i knew very little about the band i was barely 14 and did not know mick from charlie. i knew they had hits with miss you and emotional rescue and recently bought the new lp tattoo you because i loved start me up and hang fire but when i heard the band live on my one speaker am/fm portable radio i was hooked.it was like a mystical experience to me and 28 yrs i still love this bamd

Posted by: DaveG ()
Date: October 15, 2009 00:23

Yes, a couple. The first was in early 1964 when my friend Sammy Lombardo asked me if I had heard the song "I Want to Hold Your Hand" by the group from England, The Beatles. I turned on the radio and heard it within a few minutes. It was my introduction to the British music scene and I was hooked. Seeing "A Hard Days Night" later that summer made me want to be a Beatle. Then, hearing "Satisfaction" the following year hooked me on the Stones. My first rock concert was seeing the Stones at the Hollywood Bowl in July of 1966 and it all really did result in a major change in my life, sometimes for the good, sometimes not. But, whatever the effect, those events grabbed hold of me in a big way.

Posted by: Fan Since 1964 ()
Date: October 15, 2009 00:24

The day I heard "It's all over now" on my record player.
It was a religious moment and I'm still here 45 years later
with the same entusiasm as ever!

Yeah it was a real change in my life!

Been Stoned since 1964 and still am!

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: October 15, 2009 00:55

The day I opened the 7" single boxes from my brothers and sisters think it was '67 or '68 ....and now I'm stuck on IORR

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: October 15, 2009 01:01

I was at first rehearsal in 1994 for the Stones tribute band I'd joined. There I met the 'Keith' of the band's wife's sister, who I married a year later (we divroced this spring).

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: slew ()
Date: October 15, 2009 01:10

Yes - I spent $75.00 on a Stones ticket in 1981 and have not been able to save any $$$ since!

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: October 15, 2009 01:44

Edith Grove
On the day Jerry Garcia died, I realized my childhood was over and it's time to get responsible, so that day I proposed to my wife.

I had a similar experience. Garcia's death didn't effect me much, but the death, just a few days later, of Mickey Mantle did. That was the day I realized MY childhood was over (though, being 36 at the time, I guess I had a pretty freakin' LONG childhood!), and it was time to grow up. I think it was that very same day, or the day after, that I began to get seriously "involved" with the current mrs. tatters (whom I had already known for three years at that point).

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: October 15, 2009 01:55

Listening to a tape with a mixture of London and Brussels ´73 songs combined with
some US Tour ´72 tracks for the very first time in 1980 late at night with headphones at full blast being
15 years left me almost sleepless that night.

Major change;I don´t know,but a lifetime experience for sure...

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: October 15, 2009 02:05

Edith Grove
So I said: "Hey man, you a Deadhead?"

If Obama can win the Nobel Peace Price, you surely should win the Nobel Literature price.

Mathijs

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: October 15, 2009 02:18

Mathijs
Edith Grove

If Obama can win the Nobel Peace Price, you surely should win the Nobel Literature price.

Mathijs

Thank you Mathijs! I pride myself on my sophisticated use of English.

Posted by: sweet neo con ()
Date: October 15, 2009 02:23

i used a bridges to babylon concert (Madison, WI) to propose to my then girlfriend/current wife.

she would jokingly say that she wanted YCAGWYW at her wedding.

the song wasn't played that night....I think it was a "regular" but Mick's voice was bothering him
so i think it was cut from the setlist.

the engagement etc...would've happened sooner or later. probably sooner.

we had great seats on the field that night.

IORR............but I like it!

Date: October 15, 2009 02:51

Stones related - When a friend played 'Satisfaction' in true stereo from the German CD version of Hot Rocks. Up until that time I was a casual Stones fan. I have never turned back.

Non Stones related - When I bought "Never Mind The Bollocks' by The Sex Pistols.

Scotty,
Irvine

Posted by: kish_stoned ()
Date: October 15, 2009 03:38

When i first heard JUMPING JACK FLASH and saw the prmo i have never looked back,
i have been STONED without taking any drugs,just the MUSIC.KEEP ON ROCKING.

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: October 15, 2009 03:52

Back in the summer of 1968 I was listening to KHJ radio here in Los Angeles and the DJ announced he would take the 13th caller to play the safecracker game to win $1,000. The song on the radio during the contest was the Snake by Al Wilson. I was caller 13. And I was 13 years old at the time. I didn't win the $1,000 but I won the consolation prize, a pair of tickets to see Jimi Hendrix at the Hollywood Bowl. That started my concert going career and prompted me to buy my first electric (Gagliano) guitar.

Date: October 15, 2009 06:36

Hey BluzDude, I was listening to KHJ in the summer of '66 and heard the secret sound: I think it was a bird of some sort. I was the first caller. Every other hour the winner would win a pair of tickets to see the Stones at the Hollywood Bowl. The other hours, the winners would get a "pair of Rolling Stones". I won the pair of Rolling Stones. A week later, I got a package in the mail with 2 smooth rocks, painted white, one with a pic of Keith and the other with a pic of Brian. I did get to the concert though. I don't know what ever happened to the "pair of Rolling Stones".

All summer long I would listen to either 93 KHJ or KRLA. What a great time of life!

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: October 15, 2009 07:00

DaveG
Hey BluzDude, I was listening to KHJ in the summer of '66 and heard the secret sound: I think it was a bird of some sort. I was the first caller. Every other hour the winner would win a pair of tickets to see the Stones at the Hollywood Bowl. The other hours, the winners would get a "pair of Rolling Stones". I won the pair of Rolling Stones. A week later, I got a package in the mail with 2 smooth rocks, painted white, one with a pic of Keith and the other with a pic of Brian. I did get to the concert though. I don't know what ever happened to the "pair of Rolling Stones".

All summer long I would listen to either 93 KHJ or KRLA. What a great time of life!

Hey, DaveG and BluzDude...

If you don't know about it already, check out this site...

[www.reelradio.com]

Type in Los Angeles and you'll get to hear airchecks (sometimes an hour in length)
of various AM radio stations. The stuff from KHJ, KRLA is incredible.
Usually they have the commercials, too. Costs about $5 to join, but well worth it.
THey have stuff from all over the US, not just Los Angeles.

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: October 15, 2009 07:07

Mathijs
Edith Grove

Mathijs

Oh, that's nothing. HEre in the sophisticated city of San Francisco
in a sandwich shop the other day, the next Oscar Wilde wannabe turned to me
and said, "I'm so f***ing hungry, dude."

Date: October 15, 2009 07:10

Thanks, tomk. Seeing all the names of the LA deejays brings back some good memories. I remember when my friends and I drove up to the Huntington Sheraton in Pasadena (now the Ritz Carlton), where KRLA was broadcasting. Casey Kasem came out to chat with us. He took our names, and 10 minutes later we heard him dedicate a song to us all as we drove down Colorado Blvd.

Posted by: Beelyboy ()
Date: October 15, 2009 07:22

uh drinkin' owsley spiked wine w the band before electric HOT TUNA w papa john creach, jorma and jack (don't remember the drummer right now...anyone help w dat?)

played Town Hall....whoa. met jorma at manny's on 48th nyc...was teen w my bass player...recognized jorma said hey....he was uber cool so i asked him if he was in town to play...he said sure man we're playing Town Hall tonight....oh man can I come? oh yes...can i bring my bass player? sure tell u what (he grabbed small square of wrinkled paper that was in his pocket and his pen) tell me your name...ok come artists entrance and just say your name....

!. i was huge airplane fan...thought Surrealistic Pillow a major masterpiece...and other plane albums too! loved jack's bass playing...

we showed and it was in like that...dozens back stage...all kinds...female soul trios in lame to all sorts of characters...jorma was like one of the original mindblowin trippers...and translators on the gutiar....
they were shaking a bottle of wine vigorously (won't say actually who)...
it went around...my teen bass player didn't drink...i did. i was too young to figure out it was spiked with that downhome frisco acid...until it started coming on....when it did, i ran into the audience and got our two seats up pretty close....the light show was amazing...the music overwhelming...the rootsiness of old papa john...the shaking rooted ferocity in jormas blues...i could feel the centuries melt away and travel deep to the roots and earth that spawned this music...the ancient rhythms...blah de blah...great acid...mellow...ain't had nothin' like that before or after..it was so ferocious fresh gorgeous...the molecuiles and cells pulsing on the screens...the guitar melting everyone's faces...papa john come in loud and long moaing and squealing and singing aw get down....
uh...not sure what but some kinda theeng happened that nite...
the acid was very very very heavy and there were lots of deep entrenched and intertwined visuals...everything pulsing to dem old blues souped up to the max....electric fiddle huh?
the music stopped i was crushed. i was fine as long as the music was playing. i was stuck in my seat. i could not get up. i could not figure out how to stand up; but i was thinking about it...i was totally lost when that sound stopped...stopped me dead....don helped me out of the theatre; talked me through it...all layers of invisible things streaming and streeking around the room...
...finally we get to the subway. nirvana. the train rolls. the rhythm rocks you back and forth...i went to the first car and looked out at the tracks...saw a subway rat as big as a effin horse...felt at home. nyc. hot summer night. feel the breeze hear the train everything alright

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: October 15, 2009 07:44

Thanks for that Tomk.

Anyone who lived in L.A. in the 60's or 70's, check this out

[www.laradio.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-10-15 07:44 by BluzDude.

Posted by: cirrhosis ()
Date: October 15, 2009 07:55

I once killed a guy at Altamont.

That's what led me to the seminary the first time.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-10-15 07:55 by cirrhosis.

Posted by: HelterSkelter ()
Date: October 15, 2009 07:58

OH OH

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: October 15, 2009 08:18

Wow, cool posts.
A few events.... my first rock show as a teenager, The Who in '79, I was fifteen. I didn't really know The Who at all, I was way into The Beatles, but I knew they were an important Brit invation band and I should go see them. I convinced my mother to let me buy a ticket and went. It turned me on to a whole new world of music.

My first cassette as a young boy, my parents gave me Sgt Peppers and it captivated me for months.

Hearing Miss you when I was in 8th grade. I didn't know The Stones very much either and my first album I got was Some Girls and I was HOOKED. Then I got Exile because it was a double album, and I figured more songs, better value, and thought it would sound like Some Girls and I was captivated by the msytery within those grooves.

The day John Lennon was killed...along with that my childhood ended and I saw just how cruel the world can be. I was devistated.

Meeting David Bowie! Sounds silly, but what an experience!

Posted by: Monkeytonkman ()
Date: October 15, 2009 12:22

When I was 15 years old, I heard a snippet of a Stones song on the TV, was talking about it at school and my old design lecturer said that the Stones were probably the biggest band in the world.

Few days later I was at my Grandparents house, telling them that I'd quite like to hear some more music by the Stones, my Gran told me that if I went into the front room I would find my dads old record collection (who had died when I was 8) she seems to remember him listening to their music when he was younger.

I went into the room, sat crossed legged and went through his collection, only dearching out the Stones records, what I found was original copies of Stickey fingers, let it Bleed, Beggars Banquet etc.

The first song I played was Jumpin Jack Flash. Right from that moment my life changed. 20 years later I'm a fully paid up rocker. Long hair, leather jacket and tattoo's.

I don't think that would have happened without hearing the Stones music. Life changing moment. I love who I am, It's a way of life for me and maybe that wouldn't have happened without hearing the stones and having them have such a profound affect on my life, and for that I am eternally grateful

Rock on brothers and sisters!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-10-15 12:25 by Monkeytonkman.

Posted by: gimme_shelter ()
Date: October 15, 2009 13:52

First time i heard @#$%& blues. I knew my life from then on would be filled with darkrooms, gloryholes and what have you.....

Posted by: sweet neo con ()
Date: October 15, 2009 14:03

Here's a memory..I assume it was similar for others around the US...

Remember when you'd get home from school and turn the TV on to
watch your favorite cartoons or reruns on the UHF channels?
Remember the tv commercials for the Stones K-tel compilation?
I think it was called "Story of the Stones". It featured a bunch of songs
from Hot Rocks & More Hot Rocks...some in stereo..others in mono.

I have the records (2 LPs)..too lazy to dig them out right now.

Some things just stick in your mind.

IORR............but I like it!

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2009-10-15 19:59 by sweet neo con.

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: October 15, 2009 18:14

take heed:

"audience and got our two seats up pretty close....the light show was amazing...the music overwhelming...the rootsiness of old papa john...the shaking rooted ferocity in jormas blues...i could feel the centuries melt away and travel deep to the roots and earth that spawned this music...the ancient rhythms...blah de blah...great acid...mellow...ain't had nothin' like that before or after..it was so ferocious fresh gorgeous...the molecuiles and cells pulsing on the screens...the guitar melting everyone's faces...papa john come in loud and long moaing and squealing and singing aw get down....

love it, great post

Posted by: Mickschick ()
Date: October 15, 2009 19:33

Mathijs
Edith Grove

Mathijs

Hey Mathijs, I know you believe you are the man with no mistakes! But here again,opps! Not perfect! I think you meant Peace PRIZE! So when you get on others for their spelling errors, check your own first!
Oh and as for President Obama! Who of course has a hell of a mess to TRY and clean up, Id like people to know that its not about his presidency as of yet, it's way too early! It is however about the Hope of peace, and the work hes done in his life to facilitate it. He is a good man with an awesome task ahead.

The night they announced Obama won, if you werent watching television you missed it! People were dancing in the streets all over the world! That has not ever happened to any other president as far as I know! People were happy everywhere,in that one moment of time, the whole world was united and happy! The horror of bush/cheney era would soon be over! That is something special! Obama can create change and prosperity,it is just going to take time. And the Republicans have to get over their hatered and do whats best for the people and not for their dying party.
If the peace prize were given to one who created peace forever, the first prize would have been the last prize...correct?
But that is not possible in this world because people are too filled with hate and ignorance. And they like to stay that way and be spoon fed the crap that people like Limbaugh,and O'Rielly spew! They eat up that propaganda! Its sad really.
And that is the end of my political rant for today!smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-10-15 19:51 by Mickschick.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: October 15, 2009 19:53

My Mom and Dad creating me in the back seat of a 57 Chevy on Valentine's Night 1960 (my birthday - November 15, 9 months later) while Elvis sang "Love Me Tender" on the car radio.

...... and ya wonder why I'm so romantic.

BTW, I wrote a song about this event.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1581
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home