Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4
OT: Brett Favre
Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: July 15, 2008 20:06

This is a hot topic right now in the NFL. Anyone here give a shit? I find it quite amusing. He's still able to play - last year showed that. But he's getting old and has very little time left. A sort of resemblance to the Stones signing with a new label for way too much money for the same old bag wit no hints of anything promising (reissues with a second disc of bonus leftover tracks, box sets, studio and live, video comp) other than..the same old bag.

The only difference is people would get to buy a new team jersey with his name and number on it and still no 100% certainty of a Super Bowl (not that there really ever is one anymore).

Re: OT: Brett Favre
Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: July 15, 2008 20:49

I saw the first full length interview with him last night.
I love to watch Favre play. Its like watching someone who truly LOVES what he is doing. I have always been a Favre supporter too, even when he's ripping my teams heart out. But I must say in his interviews he's coming across as a 10 year old child who isn't ready to leave the waterpark. I would wish they kept the arguing about his future behind closed doors and just made the final announcement when all is said and done.

If the pack cannot use him, then release him. Don't stick him on the bench because your afraid his talent elsewhere will kill the packers. If you really feel he can beat your team as an opponent...then give him his job back.

Posted by: sweet neo con ()
Date: July 15, 2008 21:25

We here in Wisconsin have MIXED EMOTIONS about all of this.

We love the Packers and we LOVE Brett Favre.

I'll try to keep this brief...
Even after he RETIRED and then changed his mind...the Packers
planned to welcome him back....and planned to fly to Favre's
home to work out the details. Before they had a chance to
visit...Favre contacted Green Bay again to say that he
changed his mind again...and would remained RETIRED.

The Packers accepted Brett at his word and began publicly
showing their support for the NEW quarterback (Aaron Rodgers
has been waiting in the wings for a few seasons...but
seems to be injury prone).

Then...all of a sudden Brett wants to come back AGAIN. (???)

What to do?
Packers tell him that Rodgers is now their man...they have to plan
for the future and can't keep playing the retired/not retired game.
Packers apparently (not wanting to back down on their promise to Rodgers and
diminish their reputation with the rest of the team etc...) offered to
let him comeback as the back-up QB. (did i mention - Rodgers is injury prone?)
Brett didn't like this. Asked to be released so that he could play
with a team of his choice. This would not be smart for the Packers organization.
If Brett would not come back as a back-up...Packers own his contract and
don't want him to play for another NFL team...especially not one in their
division. Packers have the right to trade him to a team of their choice
but......

There's also skepticism about General Manager Ted Thompson
and his motivations.

I agree that Favre's acting like a child.
But the fact is...Brett did all of this to himself.

Personally, I did not want him to retire in the first place.

I went on the record (on this forum) and said that he would not
stay retired. I want him to allow the Packers to keep their word
and come back as a back-up. It is inevitable that Brett would eventually
be the starter again (IMO). But...that doesn't look like it's going to happen.

After seeing some of the interview clips...it is apparent to me that
Favre is still confused and acting like a stubborn kid. It's
doubtful that Aaron Rodgers will be another Brett Favre but it's not
about that anymore....

IORR............but I like it!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-07-15 22:06 by sweet neo con.

Date: July 15, 2008 23:42

Another thing - if he were to go to say Chicago how much longer could he play? He has been pulling this crap for the past 2 or 3 years now. So even if he did play for the Bears and they beat the Packers, it would only be for one year. I would think. He's not gonna be a Chris Chelios and play until he's 46.

Yeah, they should let him go. He could go to a division rival - but if they don't have anyone worth a shit to catch the ball...what does it matter then?

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: July 15, 2008 23:44

I was not aware about his double retirement reversal
It sounds as if he did bring this on himself in a big way.
What's the Pack to do?

He was phenomenal last year and got his team fired up enough to make the playoffs.
I think as hard as it might be, they should realize he is the franchise as long as he says he is, and welcome him back. Rodgers to the bench.

The Pack would be of more interest nationally then they would with Rodgers.
I would look forward to watching them this year with Favre. (and I'm not a pack fan)
If AR is in charge I'm not interested at all.

Tough to be a cheesehead right now I imagine....

Date: July 15, 2008 23:49

Here are more details (Packers' Timeline):

I don't think Favre disagrees with this version of the timeline
but...when interviewed, he seems to gloss over the areas in
which the Packers tried to accommodate him.

[www.jsonline.com]

I think it's too late for Brett to return to the Packers....
..even if the Packers said "if you come back, you're our starter"
there's already been too much said.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-07-16 00:00 by sweet neo con.

Date: July 16, 2008 00:11

I think they should bring back Sterling Sharpe, last I knew he was just playing club gigs anyways.

Date: July 16, 2008 00:18

knockyourteethout
I think they should bring back Sterling Sharpe, last I knew he was just playing club gigs anyways.

ha

I just saw an EXTRA LARGE Sterling Sharpe on TV Sunday...playing in
a "celebrity" golf tournament with Michael Jordan, Ray Romano & others.
Sterling played well.

SS had to retire early due to a neck injury.

Posted by: WMiller ()
Date: July 16, 2008 00:30

I'm not a Packers fan. I'm not a Brett Farvrerer fan either. Actually, I don't care much for him given how he has been @#$%& with the Packers for the past 3 offseasons. I can't stand when players start holding their teams' hostage for ransom. I do recogize the greatness of his career, though.

Some of my thoughts on the matter...

I don't know what his coming back now would do to their salary cap number. If his $$'s came off of the books when he retired and they've since spent it on other players, they probably don't have a lot of freedom in the "choice" to let him come back or not. Sure there are players that they could cut to free up the money, but they'd have to replace those players with those of likely lesser abilities. Doesn't really help the team much.

If the cap number isn't a significant issue, I think that the best thing overall for the Packers to do would be to trade Aaron Rodgers or Brian Brohm and let Brett start. They could probably get a 2nd or 3rd round pick for either of those guys. Based on the season he had last year, you gotta think that he's got at least one more good season left in him and they nearly made it to the Super Bowl last year (though they probably overachieved some). I think Favre gives them the best chance to win now and securing another draft pick would help them down the line. Also, I think that they may be forced to release him due to the rules of the collective bargaining agreement (I don't consider having him come back to be the back-up to Rodgers a realistic option - it would destroy the locker room). No since releasing him and getting nothing in return.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-07-16 01:32 by WMiller.

Posted by: roryg ()
Date: July 16, 2008 01:06

I tend to agree with my fellow Wisconsinite. We both know what the team was like before his arrival and the Hamlet schtick of the last few years is getting stale. If the team, including Favre, hadn't completed a great season, this wouldn't even be a story. Too much said from each side? Maybe. If they can't work it out, the team should trade him. Besides, who does he think he is, Te Rolling Stones?
Hey neo, what did you think of the news coverage of the HUGE Brett rally that drew a whooping 100 people? How ridiculous...

Posted by: Lukester ()
Date: July 16, 2008 01:22

What, is Bart Starr too old?

Date: July 16, 2008 01:48

its fine for packers not to want him anymore but they really should let him go and allow him to do what he wants..i think he's earned that right..

frankly i find the packers organization's behavior really pathetic..they are obviously paranoid he will resign with another team and make them look like asses.. but when you're dealing with one of the top players a team has ever had, well in those cases the player should be treated with a bit more respect

if the packers no longer want him they should let him go..they can't tell a guy like favre that if he wants to play he can only do so if he agrees to be a backup...thats just not the way that an organization with class handles things..

Posted by: doubledoor ()
Date: July 16, 2008 01:53

Brett must hold the record for retirement tears shed by a player who has not missed a game in more than a decade

Posted by: WMiller ()
Date: July 16, 2008 02:02

stoned in washington dc
its fine for packers not to want him anymore but they really should let him go and allow him to do what he wants..i think he's earned that right..

frankly i find the packers organization's behavior really pathetic..they are obviously paranoid he will resign with another team and make them look like asses.. but when you're dealing with one of the top players a team has ever had, well in those cases the player should be treated with a bit more respect

if the packers no longer want him they should let him go..they can't tell a guy like favre that if he wants to play he can only do so if he agrees to be a backup...thats just not the way that an organization with class handles things..

It's definitely a PR nightmare for them. I wonder if he'd fork over a prorated portion of the signing bonus they paid him when he signed his last contract? If he'd do that, then I'd say, release him. Otherwise, there's an obligation to maximize the value they can get for him.

Another wrinkle is the fact that the Packers are publicly owned, aren't they? Therefore, they have obligations to the shareholders. I can smell shareholder lawsuits coming down the pike or class action suits by Packer fans if they don't let him come back. As usual, the lawyers are gonna get theirs.

Posted by: stone-relics ()
Date: July 16, 2008 02:18

Slightly off topic.....I love the guy, but he dont belong here....unless he has some great tapes...
JR

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: July 16, 2008 03:21

Yeah I'm getting more than a little sick of the Favre drama myself. He has waffled on this for years. It's always tough for superstar atheletes to know when to hang it up. But it's even tougher for the borderline guy trying to make the team every year. Favre can have any TV job he wants,millions of dollars in endorsements. What happened to that tearful retirement speech. Now he is going to ask the Packers for his release? Of course they won't release him,he'll end up on the Vikings or Bears and come back to haunt them. Brett,go fishing and hunting or buy an arena team. But give it up huh?

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Posted by: shadooby ()
Date: July 16, 2008 03:49

sweetcharmedlife
Yeah I'm getting more than a little sick of the Favre drama myself. He has waffled on this for years. It's always tough for superstar atheletes to know when to hang it up. But it's even tougher for the borderline guy trying to make the team every year. Favre can have any TV job he wants,millions of dollars in endorsements. What happened to that tearful retirement speech. Now he is going to ask the Packers for his release? Of course they won't release him,he'll end up on the Vikings or Bears and come back to haunt them. Brett,go fishing and hunting or buy an arena team. But give it up huh?

Allright seriously man. Is your lone sole agenda to be an @#$%&? If so, mission accomplished. I don't really care if you like Favre or not. Your loss if you don't. But to come on here with the sole purpose of being a dick is a short lived strategy. Maybe you get your Rocks Off this way. People telling you to go F-yourself. I've heard of stranger things. But it's been my experience that no matter how much this style of posting turns you on. It will be short lived. See ya later jerk.

Date: July 16, 2008 03:56

wtf?

Date: July 16, 2008 03:58

Lukester
wtf?

It was simply an inside joke between me and my good friend.

Date: July 16, 2008 03:59

grrrr

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-07-16 04:27 by Lukester.

Date: July 16, 2008 04:03

shadooby
Lukester
wtf?

It was simply an inside joke between me and my good friend.

It was? How, by repeating one of my old posts directed at you! Man you are freaky.thumbs down

Date: July 16, 2008 04:11

Bears just signed RB Kevin Jones, could Favre be next?

Posted by: stone-relics ()
Date: July 16, 2008 04:18

Send him to the Raiders..

JR

Date: July 16, 2008 05:44

WMiller
stoned in washington dc

It's definitely a PR nightmare for them. I wonder if he'd fork over a prorated portion of the signing bonus they paid him when he signed his last contract? If he'd do that, then I'd say, release him. Otherwise, there's an obligation to maximize the value they can get for him.

Another wrinkle is the fact that the Packers are publicly owned, aren't they? Therefore, they have obligations to the shareholders. I can smell shareholder lawsuits coming down the pike or class action suits by Packer fans if they don't let him come back. As usual, the lawyers are gonna get theirs.

Wash DC - sorry, but you have a naive view of big business pro sports.

WMiller - they have "shareholders" but not in the traditional sense. There
will be no class action lawsuits etc....

Both the Packers & Favre screwed up...Favre more (IMO). His personal
confusion is what's causing the problem. It's definitely a case
of the tail wagging the dog.

Date: July 16, 2008 06:33

sweet neo con
WMiller
stoned in washington dc

Wash DC - sorry, but you have a naive view of big business pro sports.

WMiller - they have "shareholders" but not in the traditional sense. There
will be no class action lawsuits etc....

Both the Packers & Favre screwed up...Favre more (IMO). His personal
confusion is what's causing the problem. It's definitely a case
of the tail wagging the dog.

its very clear that the packers screwed up more..they wanted to get favre to retire, he felt pressured and acquiesced then changed his mind

the whole thing is beyond stupid as favre had one of his best years last year.. they should have pressured him to stay...

if they don't want him to stay they will have to let him go... or else he's going to show up in camp and after a loss or two he will be starting again.

Date: July 16, 2008 06:47

AP)—Brett Favre says he’s tempted to show up at the Green Bay Packers’ training camp just to call the team’s “bluff.”

In the second part of an interview with Fox News, the 38-year-old quarterback said he knows his arrival in camp would cause a media circus. Packers players are scheduled to report July 27.

“It’s tempting just to, as everyone said, you know, call their bluff or whatever,” Favre said. “I think it’s going to be a circus in itself already, whether I go there, whatever.”

But, Favre added: “I don’t want to go back there just to stick it to them.”

The interview on the show “On the Record with Greta Van Susteren” was broadcast Tuesday night.

Favre, a three-time MVP, said he feels “a little bit” bad for would-be successor Aaron Rodgers and insists he doesn’t want to be a distraction to his teammates. Or are they his former teammates?
“I like my teammates,” Favre said. “I had a lot of fun with them. I have talked to numerous guys throughout this whole ordeal. I wish them the best, I really do. I hold nothing against those guys. We had a lot of fun together. We had, it was an amazing year last year. I don’t want to make it any worse than it is.”

And right now, it’s pretty bad. Favre and the Packers appear headed toward a messy divorce after Favre demanded his release last week.

The decision blindsided the Packers.

“This is an ongoing situation,” team spokesman Jeff Blumb said Tuesday evening. “We’re working through it, and we’re going to do the right thing.”

Team officials have been careful not to criticize Favre, instead laying out a detailed timeline of their offseason dealings with him. The team hopes that fans would understand why the Packers wouldn’t be willing to abandon their offseason plans with Rodgers just because Favre changed his mind.

After retiring in early March, Favre told the Packers he was having second thoughts and was ready to return a few weeks later. General manager Ted Thompson and coach Mike McCarthy had made plans to take a private plane to Mississippi to seal the deal on Favre’s comeback, only to have him change his mind again and stay retired.

Favre conceded that the latest in his long line of reversals on his football future has been tough on Rodgers, the Packers’ first-round pick in 2005.

“The one thing in this, I do feel bad for Aaron a little bit,” Favre said. “I think he’ll do a fine job, to be totally honest with you, I do. He has been injured. I mean, the two injuries are not his fault. Couldn’t control. I know this has been tough on him. I think he’ll do a fine job. And this has nothing to do with him, this whole deal.”

That said, Favre doesn’t seem inclined to take a back seat to Rodgers.

“We’ll pay you $12 million, but you’ve got to hold the clipboard and ball cap?,” Favre said. “That’s probably better for them as opposed to letting me go somewhere and me coming back. Then their legacy, the management, would, you know, could be in jeopardy.”

Would he go into camp to compete for the starting job?

“Why?” Favre said. “That’s what I would ask them: Why?”
Thompson and McCarthy also have said they are concerned about Favre’s legacy, but Favre said that’s his problem, not theirs.

“You don’t worry about my legacy,” Favre said. “And, you know, it’s a bunch of bull. It’s all it is.”

Favre conceded a trade might be the only way to get his way.

“They’re not going to do it with a big rival or competitor or whatever, but that may be our only option,” Favre said. “I don’t know what else to do.”

Favre was asked about fan rallies held in Wisconsin this week to support him, but it was not mentioned that rallies held in Green Bay and the Milwaukee suburbs drew sparse attendance despite widespread local media attention. The Green Bay rally on Sunday drew less than 200 people, and Monday’s rally in the Milwaukee suburbs drew about 30.

“Once again, Green Bay’s a special place,” Favre said. “Wisconsin’s a special place.”

The interview marked Favre’s first significant public comments since informing the Packers he wants to be released. The one thing Favre still hasn’t said, however, is that he is completely committed to playing in 2008.

In the portion of the interview aired Monday night, Favre conceded that “the bottom line is, I may not play anywhere.” He also said, “If I’m going to play, it’s going to be 100 percent commitment.”

Asked if he is 100 percent committed to playing in the upcoming season, Favre gave a qualified yes: “Where is a different story.”

“I very well may not play,” Favre said, depending on “the circumstances.”

“I’ve always been a Packer, always will be a Packer,” Favre said. “Will I play somewhere else? Remains to be seen.”

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: July 16, 2008 10:22

And here is how this makes this, pardon the stupidity but I just have to do it, relevant to iorr.org in a very very very very weak way - Brett just might not get what he wants but he just might find he'll get what he needs - either another team or nothing at all.

To take the side of the team, what if they do say OK, here you go. And he comes out and...just is not that good? That is possible.

If I were the Packers, I'd probabbly suck it up and let him play - for ONE more year - and then move on. But I'm guessing they'll say tough shit, either stay home or go somewhere else.

It will get figured out. It's going to be entertaining at the least.

Date: July 16, 2008 14:56

thanks for the AP story. I just heard audio from the Fox interview too.

Even though, as I've said, I love Favre and wish he would've never retired...
it's interesting how the boy that cried "wolf" has tried to turn
the truth on its ear.

Every bit of Brett's predicament was caused by Brett.
His personal confusion about retirement has been going on for years.

On the other hand...if he's trying to expose Packers management by
bluffing...that's a different story.

If only Brett had not retired 2-3 times....none of this BS would
be happening. He still sounds really confused. His confusion
and this situation allows him to put all of his frustration
on Packers management and blame them.

True..management may have not bent over backwards to make
him feel like a KING but there are other options besides
threatening (& following through with) retirement.

GM Ted THompson has a reputation of being a bit cold..a bit
arrogant...and intent on getting his acquisitions on the field.

Favre has a reputation of being a bit of a prima donna...with his
own locker room (away from the team)...and other special priviledges...
...and in many cases doesn't know his teammates names.

Personally I think the Packers should call Favre's bluff now...and
declare him the starting quarterback. awkward.

Posted by: 1cdog ()
Date: July 16, 2008 16:12

I am indifferent toward the Packers or Favre. I often pull for the Packers but I would not call myself a Packer fan.

But in my view with this instance Favre really comes across as a big spoiled brat prima dona.

I wish he would just go away.

Date: July 16, 2008 16:39

I just watched the entire FOX interview...

Even though I don't think Brett is handling this in the best way....
I agree that he has the right to change his mind.

The thing is.....he doesn't seem to completely comprehend
that he caused this confusion.

On the other hand...(even though the Packers timeline seems to
say that the Packer made an effort)...management was very quick to
push him out the door and schedule GB HOF induction & Number 4 retirement.
It was very strange how quickly all of that happened...like "don't
let the door hit you on the way out!".

Can you tell I'm more and more on the fence?

Afterall, had he never said "i retire"...he'd still be the starting QB.
And since he didn't actually submit the paperwork yet..and changed his mind before
training camp..I guess he should be welcomed back...but....now it's
just become a big out-of-control whirlwind. Not sure if
you can put Humpty Dumpty back together again.

Packers Super-Glue?

Anybody have a TIME-Machine!?!?!?

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1976
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home