Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Looking for definitive info on 75 Tour
Posted by: keytohwy ()
Date: October 1, 2009 23:53

I understand that The Meters were selected to open the 75 TOTA, but nowhere can I find a list of shows that they actually opened on. All of them? Is that verified? If anyone has a resource that can show who opened for each show through the years, I'd be very interested.

Further, if anyone is in possession of recordings of those shows, I'd like to be able to arrange a trade for them. I am in possession of San Antonio and Atlanta only, and looking for more.

Thank you for your help,
keytohwy
www.metersbase.com

Re: Looking for definitive info on 75 Tour
Posted by: Mongoose ()
Date: October 2, 2009 00:21

They were the opening act on the show that I attended, July 31, 1975, in Greensboro, NC, and they were great!

My first Stones concert, too.

Happy searching!

Date: October 2, 2009 00:34

Thanks 'goose. If you have anything from that show (photos, stubs, etc), please let me know...

keytohwy

Date: October 2, 2009 00:42

Key, that is a tough one. Ian's site doesn't really break it down, nor does Gazza's site. I used to think that they only opened early on while the Stones were physically around Louisiana. But they went to Europe with them, right? And I see they did way more shows in US too. So all in all must be around 50 shows, or up.

Date: October 2, 2009 00:57

Yeah, I'm trying to piece it together. May be a trip the library pulling old concert reviews form newspapers. But I've got tapes of them at the start, and towards the end of the tour, so maybe they did do them all. I've also got other 75 Meters shows, but the dates don't really match the tour locations, so it casts some doubt on either the dates of the tapes, or whether they opened all the tour. I've never seen any Meters tapes from Europe 76...would love to hear those.

Someone else says they have Seattle 75 on tape, so maybe more will surface.

Keep it coming, everyone!

Thanks,
keytohwy

Date: October 2, 2009 01:04

Key, have you tried contacting someone from the Meters themselves?

Date: October 2, 2009 01:54

Indeed I have. But, I'm looking for definitive info. Some of their history is sometimes clouded by time. And tapes winking smiley They don't have many tapes from that era.

Thanks.

Posted by: polythene sam ()
Date: October 2, 2009 01:57

July 4, 1975 Memphis
Charlie Daniels Band
J Geils Band
The Meters
Furry Lewis
The Rolling Stones

Posted by: Sohoe ()
Date: October 2, 2009 02:10

There's a tape extant from their Atlanta July 30 opening slot

Posted by: Bashlets ()
Date: October 2, 2009 07:45

I'm pretty sure the Meters opened for the Stones at the Boston Garden shows.

Posted by: peter ()
Date: October 2, 2009 09:03

Every year I post this information for fans looking for details concerning Tours/TV appearances/setlists/discography/sessionography/promotional films & videos...I'm beginning to think after 13 years on IORR that I'm the only one who owns this bible..."It's Only Rock & Roll"...the ULTIMATE guide to the Rolling Stones...by James Karnbach & Carol Beanson...forward by Mick Taylor ISBN 0-8160-3547-4 (pbk.)...out of print but worth looking for....everything is here from the beginning thru Steel Wheels 1989...if there is a better source for this info, I'm not aware of it...I've yet to find one single mistake in this book...the Meters opened for the Stones at the Cow Palace/SF in July 75 I know because I was there...KSAN also recorded their set & it exists somewhere...100's of questions posted on IORR can be answered easily if you have this....cheers...peter

Posted by: jeanmarie ()
Date: October 2, 2009 09:56

what i'm sure :

Baton rouge source info New York Times june 2, 1975 (john Rockwell)
San Antonio (2 shows) source San Antonio Express june 4
Memphis source RS magazine N° 193
Seattle source Seattle Times july 20
Atlanta, source The Atlanta Constitution july 31
Greensboro : source a paper report article (BUT don't know the newspaper, maybe Greensboro Daily News !?)

in my compil Press-Book TOTA75

Posted by: jeanmarie ()
Date: October 2, 2009 10:00

jeanmarie
what i'm sure :

Baton rouge source info New York Times june 2, 1975 (john Rockwell)
San Antonio (2 shows) source San Antonio Express june 4
Memphis source RS magazine N° 193
Seattle source Seattle Times july 20
Atlanta, source The Atlanta Constitution july 31
Greensboro : source a paper report article (BUT don't know the newspaper, maybe Greensboro Daily News !?)

in my compil Press-Book TOTA75

METERs AS openning act (what I'm sure)

Posted by: timbernardis ()
Date: October 2, 2009 10:01

mattlee has the official tour handbook and might be able to tell you, handbook made for staff

Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: October 2, 2009 10:25

In 1975, The Rolling Stones requested that The Meters join them as an opening act on their American Tour and their 1976 European tours, over 75 dates were played between both tours.

Do I have to understand that the Meters opened 75 shows with the Stones ?

I am a Frenchie ,as Mick affectionately called them in the Old Grey Whistle Test in 1977 .

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: October 2, 2009 10:38

>> I've yet to find one single mistake in this book <<

with all due respect - and a lot is due! - some of the dates given in the early history don't hang together.
(i never looked further than the early history, so i don't know about the accuracy of the later bits).
that's forgiveable - a lot more information is more easily available nowadays than when that book was being put together -
but it's pretty far from error-free.

Date: October 2, 2009 10:40

>> In 1975, The Rolling Stones requested that The Meters join them as an opening act on their American Tour
and their 1976 European tours, over 75 dates were played between both tours. <<

what source are you quoting there, SwayStones?
the phrasing is a bit ambiguous, so seeing more of the context might help.

Posted by: saltoftheearth ()
Date: October 2, 2009 11:53

The Meters defintely were among the openers for the Stones at the concert in Stuttgart/Germany, Neckarstadion, 19 June 1976, along with Little Feat and the John Miles Band (who replaced the scheduled Robin Trower Band). John Miles was very popula rat the time with his classic song 'Music'!

Date: October 2, 2009 12:08

on page 438 of Rolling With the Stones, Bill says the Meters played every gig on the 76 tour -
that's pretty unambiguous, if it's accurate!

but the original poster's question is about the 75 tour, and all Bill says (on page 431) is:
"The Meters and the J Geils Band played at many venues - not usually the same ones."
which is some help, but not enough.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-10-02 12:12 by with sssoul.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: October 3, 2009 15:35

peter
Every year I post this information for fans looking for details concerning Tours/TV appearances/setlists/discography/sessionography/promotional films & videos...I'm beginning to think after 13 years on IORR that I'm the only one who owns this bible..."It's Only Rock & Roll"...the ULTIMATE guide to the Rolling Stones...by James Karnbach & Carol Beanson...forward by Mick Taylor ISBN 0-8160-3547-4 (pbk.)...out of print but worth looking for....everything is here from the beginning thru Steel Wheels 1989...if there is a better source for this info, I'm not aware of it...I've yet to find one single mistake in this book...the Meters opened for the Stones at the Cow Palace/SF in July 75 I know because I was there...KSAN also recorded their set & it exists somewhere...100's of questions posted on IORR can be answered easily if you have this....cheers...peter

The reason why this book isn't mentioned very often is that it has many, many mistakes. Tour dates are wrong, many set lists are wrong (even from concerts that have been available on boots for many years), their are mistakes in releases and recording sessions and what more.

This book is just best to be avoided.

Personally I still think after 25 years that www.nzentgraf.de is the best source for historical information, and www.timeisonourside.com is excellent too.

Mathijs

Date: October 3, 2009 17:43

I don't QUITE agree with Mathijs re. the Karnbach book. Yes, there are many mistakes, but given when the book was done, and the sheer wealth of info and data I think it is a very workable tool. But I agree that Nico's site is probably the best over all. In the end it seems that a combo is the very best approach; and for that IORR is actually the very best place to go.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: October 3, 2009 21:04

The Jazz Crusaders opened for the Stones at Buffalo's Memorial Aud. June 15th 1975. That was Larry Carlton's band at the time.

Posted by: SeanC ()
Date: October 4, 2009 15:06

hey just on the topic of accuracy I purchased The Complete Works book and was kinda hoping it is an accurate, valuable memner of my Stones book family - any opinions on this title would be great!!
[www.amazon.co.uk]

Cheers!!

Sean

Posted by: stewedandkeefed ()
Date: October 4, 2009 16:15

I believe Rufus opened the two Toronto shows not The Meters.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: October 4, 2009 18:59

Palace Revolution 2000
I don't QUITE agree with Mathijs re. the Karnbach book. Yes, there are many mistakes, but given when the book was done, and the sheer wealth of info and data I think it is a very workable tool. But I agree that Nico's site is probably the best over all. In the end it seems that a combo is the very best approach; and for that IORR is actually the very best place to go.

When Karnbach wrote his book, Nico Zentgraf's info was available to us all. For example, the tapes of the first two Baton Rouge shows where widely available starting the day after the show, and where released on various boots ever since '75, and where mentioned in Nico's Swartzbuch and online. If you then get the setlist wrong in the book you write all I can say is that it might be better to not write the book.

Mathijs

Posted by: curt ()
Date: October 5, 2009 00:27

Definitely in Boston,Greensboro,Memphis.
I think in NYC, Philadelphia and DC too.

Date: October 5, 2009 00:32

Thanks everyone for the continued information. Best I can tell is that there were multiple openers for some shows and some on some shows they interchanged the opener, making research a bit more difficult. I guess I'll have to rely on tapes and newspaper reviews for details.

Again, if anyone has tangible evidence in one form or another, please get in touch.

As for tapes, I have a couple of masters of interest to trade; RS 99 in DC (both shows, Schoeps MK4's) and Mick Taylor in 98(?) at Jaxx in Springfield, VA.

Thanks again!

Posted by: Jimmer ()
Date: October 5, 2009 01:18

curt
Definitely in Boston,Greensboro,Memphis.
I think in NYC, Philadelphia and DC too.

I went to my first ever Stones shows in Philly on June 29-30, 1975! I was 16 years young at the time. Boy how "time waits for no one...!" I believe it was the Commodores who opened for the Stones in Philly that year.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: October 5, 2009 02:46

George Porter- BASS GUITAR MAGAZINE - Issue 36 May/June 2008

ROCKMAN

Posted by: fyp933 ()
Date: October 5, 2009 05:28

stewedandkeefed
I believe Rufus opened the two Toronto shows not The Meters.

i think that the meters opened one of the shows and rufus the other.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1707
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home