Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Wild Horses is basically Gram's composition......
Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: August 14, 2009 02:05

.......according to Chris Jagger......[www.brisbanetimes.com.au]

Re: Wild Horses is basically Gram's composition......
Date: August 14, 2009 02:20

A song like "Wild Horses" either is, or isn't someone's song. That's not just an A to E kind of jam where Gram goes "and then you twang it up a little". The changes, the melody on top, and the lyrics are a little more involved. To me it sound slike a song someone sat and wrote. Maybe what CJ means is that he put the food for thought out there, and from that inspiration was born Wild Horses by Keith and Mick.

Posted by: Honestman ()
Date: August 14, 2009 02:24

Palace Revolution 2000
A song like "Wild Horses" either is, or isn't someone's song. That's not just an A to E kind of jam where Gram goes "and then you twang it up a little". The changes, the melody on top, and the lyrics are a little more involved. To me it sound slike a song someone sat and wrote. Maybe what CJ means is that he put the food for thought out there, and from that inspiration was born Wild Horses by Keith and Mick.

Yepthumbs up
I couldn't say it better, that's what i always thought!

winking smileyHMN

HMN

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: August 14, 2009 02:31

Jump Back reissue liner notes ....

ROCKMAN

Date: August 14, 2009 03:25

.......sounds like someone should have gotten "some" credit.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: August 14, 2009 04:56

With the open G runs and acoustic chord structure in the recording, this is as KR a song as Tumbling Dice.

Ry, Gram, Elvis, and Jesus himself need to be thanked for it.

Date: August 14, 2009 07:14

Palace Revolution 2000

NO that is not what he means! Check out the quote:

He was introduced to country music by Gram Parsons, who is credited with influencing the Stones' sound, particularly on the Sticky Fingers album. "Wild Horses is basically Gram's composition, not that he got any credit for it," he says.

Date: August 14, 2009 12:30

Whoa! If you say so...

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: August 14, 2009 12:56

The song probably came from the jam sessions Gram and Keith used to have in 69. I can just see Gram teaching Keith some old Louvin Brothers and Buck Owens songs. Wish there tapes available of some of those sessions. Bet Keith's got some real stonkers.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: August 14, 2009 15:35

Damn!

Gram wrote Wild Horses
Bill wrote JJF
Mick wrote Brown Sugar
Preston wrote Miss You
Ronnie wrote IORR
Chuck wrote Back To Zero

What the hell has Keith been doing all this time?

Posted by: rootsman ()
Date: August 14, 2009 15:37

Elmo Lewis
Damn!

Gram wrote Wild Horses
Bill wrote JJF
Mick wrote Brown Sugar
Preston wrote Miss You
Ronnie wrote IORR
Chuck wrote Back To Zero

Having a good time!

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: August 14, 2009 16:14

This rumors been around a while, some say Gram wrote it for/about Emmylou Harris, although I think somewhere I read he hadn't even met her yet by the time he put this out. So not sure what to make of the rumor...

Posted by: Adrian-L ()
Date: August 14, 2009 16:16

Elmo Lewis
Damn!

Gram wrote Wild Horses
Bill wrote JJF
Mick wrote Brown Sugar
Preston wrote Miss You
Ronnie wrote IORR
Chuck wrote Back To Zero

fixing fishing tackle into his hair

Date: August 14, 2009 16:25

Really, this song is obviously influenced by Gram's country leanings.

However, I've always understood that Keith had the music and the title line (ala Satisfaction) and Mick wrote the verses to Marianne.

Date: August 14, 2009 16:33

..........the Jagger brothers statements suggest more than just influence.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: August 14, 2009 16:35

Aside from the country influence I don't hear much Gram Parson's influence, certainly not in the chord structure.

Mathijs

Posted by: Addicted ()
Date: August 14, 2009 16:40

After the birth of Marlon, the Stones were off to tour the States. Baby Marlon was 3 months old, and his dad - Keith - felt terrible about leaving Marlon and Anita. That's how "Wild Horses" came along, according to a very reliable Stones historian I know...
There were also rumours about some inspiration from Marianne, who woke up after her suicide attempt in Australia. Mick at her bedside in hospital. "You weren't planning on leaving me, were you?" "Wild horses couldn't drag me away".
Credit to Gram for inspiring the Stones to explore quality country music. He had a hand in it, but the song is "mostly Keith", according to my Stones historian friend.

IORR - not only a Ronnie composition. David Bowie and Mick Jagger also contributed in the studio at the Wick.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-08-14 16:49 by Addicted.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: August 14, 2009 16:40

>> the Jagger brothers statements suggest more than just influence <<

one Jagger brother's statement (Chris's) suggest more, but why? as in: what are Chris Jagger's sources?
Mick's statement doesn't suggest anything other than that Gram was around when they were finishing it,
and that he dug it enough to record it himself (which we already know).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-08-14 16:52 by with sssoul.

Date: August 14, 2009 16:42

Elmo Lewis
Damn!

Gram wrote Wild Horses
Bill wrote JJF
Mick wrote Brown Sugar
Preston wrote Miss You
Ronnie wrote IORR
Chuck wrote Back To Zero

Meant light-heartedly, for the humor impaired. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

"No Anchovies, Please"

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: August 14, 2009 16:44

In "Fallen Angel" the DVD bio of GP, Keith says he 'had already written 'Wild Horses' meaning by the time he and GP were hanging out.

Date: August 14, 2009 16:46

duke richardson
In "Fallen Angel" the DVD bio of GP, Keith says he 'had already written 'Wild Horses' meaning by the time he and GP were hanging out.

Yes, just after Marlon's birth.

Date: August 14, 2009 16:59

why is Chris Jagger trying to discredit Keith?

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: August 14, 2009 17:04

kovach
This rumors been around a while, some say Gram wrote it for/about Emmylou Harris, although I think somewhere I read he hadn't even met her yet by the time he put this out. So not sure what to make of the rumor...

Gram met Emmylou in about 72. In true Stones style she was singing in a bar and he went up to Baltimore with Chris Hillman I think to hear her play.

Here's what he has to say on meeting her.

Date: August 14, 2009 17:11

Addicted
duke richardson

Yes, just after Marlon's birth.

... Keith and Gram started hanging out in 1968. Marlon (of course) was born in 1969.
which isn't meant to imply that Chris Jagger is right - it's just the facts.

why would Chris Jagger know about the circumstances of Keith's writing of Wild Horses anyway?
Marianne's notion that Keith was somehow quoting her by using that phrase is just goofy as well.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-08-14 17:13 by with sssoul.

Date: August 14, 2009 17:17

one Jagger brother's statement (Chris's) suggest more, but why? as in: what are Chris Jagger's sources?
Mick's statement doesn't suggest anything other than that Gram was around when they were finishing it,

...perhaps he heard it over breakfast in Richmond, or tea at the Chateau in France...or maybe even during holiday in Mustique....the Jaggers certainly have opportunity to speak.........I do agree the statement is provocative. Mick places Gram right at ground zero....."I remember we sat around originally......"

....I don't know if Parsons had any thing more than a great country vibe that he shared with the Glimmers but it does once again suggest or even further move along the point that they worked with another artist and didn't give them credit. It gives additional insight into that argument certainly.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-08-14 17:27 by Rip This.

Date: August 14, 2009 17:27

>> It gives additional insight into that argument certainly. <<

... speculating about Chris Jagger's sources or his reasons for saying that is simply speculation.
anyone who feels like speculating is free to, of course, but it's not what i call "insight".
it might be if he'd elaborated on what he meant, who told him that, etc. but apparently he didn't.

Date: August 14, 2009 17:47

....there is no speculation. Chris Jagger made a statement. His source would have to be his brother. He has first hand access. The provocation in the statement suggests they (the glimmers) have not credited people when working with them. How much of a role Gram played in Wild Horses we might never know.

Date: August 14, 2009 17:53

we're talking about one of the finest and most personal of all Stones songs, and here Chris Jagger says GP basically wrote it...? WTF ...

Date: August 14, 2009 18:12

Relax - Chris wasn't there. He was in India getting high - higher and highest, according to his big brother. That big brother later paid for his rehab, where he met his Norwegian wife...

Date: August 14, 2009 18:16

it just ain't right...

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1105
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home