Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4
Re: Who did the better Chuck Berry covers: Stones or Beatles?
Posted by: squando ()
Date: May 26, 2010 11:44

No the Stones never officially release ROB mrrockandroll. Just as well to my ears cos I don't believe they aced Berry everytime. MT was very average to.

Harrison was also an excellent Berry style guitarist which I believe has not been noted till now in this thread.

Posted by: Child Of Clay ()
Date: May 26, 2010 12:31

and Jimi Hendrix shows all the world how it's done on Johnny B Goode!

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: May 26, 2010 13:01

I really enjoy the Beatles Chuck Berry covers, but the Stones -and especially Keith - absolutely nail them. Compare the Stones BBC Radio rendition of 'Roll Over Beethoven' to any version by the Beatles: With The Beatles, Live At The BBC, etc. Harrisons execution - both playing, and vocal-wise - make for a very rigid and stiff performance. It lacks the swing of the Stones interpretation. In fact, Harrison seems to struggle a little on several of the Berry tracks on the Beatles BBC CD.

Posted by: slew ()
Date: May 26, 2010 14:37

The Stones EASILY. The Beatles versions are too clean and polished not the way they were meant to be. The Stones sound so much more authentic. Even Roll Over Beethoven where most people give the edge to The Beatles its too clean though it does have the energy needed.

Posted by: slew ()
Date: May 26, 2010 14:41

And let me add that the Stones have the best Chuck Berry style guitarist with the exception of Chuck himnself in Keith Richards.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: May 26, 2010 14:56

stones hands down ,with keef leading the charge and mick's super berry inspired lyrics.

Posted by: CBII ()
Date: May 26, 2010 16:10

By a far margin, The Rolling Stones.

CBII

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: May 26, 2010 16:18

Of the released material, it's not even close. The Stones by a mile. If you include Beeb takes, it gets a little closer, but only because of Lennon's peerless vocals.

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: May 26, 2010 16:31

Keith Richards & the Rolling Stones

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: May 26, 2010 17:22

best single cover of a berry tune (sorry, road apiece doesn't count - not a berry original) by a british invasion band: the animals/sweet little sixteen.

Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: May 26, 2010 17:57

StonesTod
best single cover of a berry tune (sorry, road apiece doesn't count - not a berry original) by a british invasion band: the animals/sweet little sixteen.
Oh yeah? That's,like, just your opinion, man!

Date: May 26, 2010 18:07

ChrisM
StonesTod

it's a fact that it's my opinion, though. you've heard it, right, chris? it's an amazing cover....

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: May 26, 2010 18:10

How is that even a question? Nobody does Chuck Berry as good or better than The Rolling Stones.

Not even Chuck.

Date: May 26, 2010 18:12

skipstone
How is that even a question? Nobody does Chuck Berry as good or better than The Rolling Stones.

Not even Chuck.

how can you possilby say that chuck doesn't do chuck better than chuck????

Date: May 26, 2010 18:14

Because...the Stones do Chuck better than Chuck does.

That's all. Seems rather obvious to me!

Posted by: WeLoveYou ()
Date: May 26, 2010 18:18

akgameboy
You've got to be kidding me. The Stones were the only band able to do Chuck Berry better than Chuck Berry. If that makes any sense...

Agree

Date: May 26, 2010 18:19

skipstone
Because...the Stones do Chuck better than Chuck does.

That's all. Seems rather obvious to me!

yeah, but doesn't chuck do chuck at least as well as chuck?

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: May 26, 2010 18:25

Chuck is Chuck - Keith is his Imitator.

[thepowergoats.com]

Date: May 26, 2010 18:37

I just like how the Stones do Chuck's songs better than Chuck does his songs. There's just more power, they're played better. That's all. I LOVE Chuck, It's that those rockers the Stones have done are just...better than Chuck's versions of them.

Is that so bad? I don't see why that is bad.

Date: May 26, 2010 18:46

skipstone
I just like how the Stones do Chuck's songs better than Chuck does his songs. There's just more power, they're played better. That's all. I LOVE Chuck, It's that those rockers the Stones have done are just...better than Chuck's versions of them.

Is that so bad? I don't see why that is bad.

it's all good, skippy.

as always, there's only preferences, no definitive "bests." in some cases, i'll take the stones' version of chuck's original - you can't catch me being the best example. but, it's pretty hard to top chuck when he's at the top of his game - and he toted some amazing sidemen on those great chess sides, too.

Posted by: bam ()
Date: May 26, 2010 19:02

I've heard two other groups do Chuck Berry covers.

Believe it or not, the best Chuck Berry guitarist may have been Carl Wilson. The Beach Boys stole (or if you prefer, borrowed) many Chuck Berry riffs and even entire songs. Rock and Roll Music, I admit totally sucked. But they actually played a very mean Johnny B. Goode live in the early '70s.

Bruce and the E Street band also play the hell out of Little Queenie. Having seen both live, I slightly prefer the Stones version - but only slightly.

Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: May 26, 2010 20:02

StonesTod
ChrisM
StonesTod

it's a fact that it's my opinion, though. you've heard it, right, chris? it's an amazing cover....
Yes, I have heard it Tod and though it is indeed a great version, however I prefer the sound of Keith's grand "a-ronk a ronk a ronk" against Charlie's back beat. It kills me every time I hear them play a Chuck tune, especially "Let It Rock" from Leeds. Killer! By the way, I hope you got the Lebowski reference in my previous post!

Date: May 26, 2010 20:05

ChrisM
StonesTod
ChrisM
StonesTod

Yes, I have heard it Tod and though it is indeed a great version, however I prefer the sound of Keith's grand "a-ronk a ronk a ronk" against Charlie's back beat. It kills me every time I hear them play a Chuck tune, especially "Let It Rock" from Leeds. Killer! By the way, I hope you got the Lebowski reference in my previous post!

won't argue with you on that....i'm merely trying to inspire berry lovers to seek out this animals track....love the way eric references the beatles in it, too.

big lebowski ref? hmmm...no, i missed that...but then i'm on my 3rd white russian of the day, so.....

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: May 26, 2010 20:58

i have to give a honorable mention to good ole jerry and the grateful dead with there killer version of promised land ,around and around

Date: May 26, 2010 21:03

The Greek
i have to give a honorable mention to good ole jerry and the grateful dead with there killer version of promised land ,around and around

if you have to do that, then i have to do this:

The Band did the best-ever cover of Promised Land.....

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: May 26, 2010 23:09

StonesTod
The Greek

if you have to do that, then i have to do this:

The Band did the best-ever cover of Promised Land.....

Elvis' and Johnny Allan's versions were every bit as great IMO.

Best Stones Chuck Berry cover IMO is You Cant Catch Me. In my top ten Stones songs ever and their best EVER cover.

And never performed live, unfortunately.

Posted by: LeedsLungs71 ()
Date: May 26, 2010 23:13

Stones Berries!!! The Stones are the masters of covering Chuck Berry.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: May 26, 2010 23:16

JMoisica
Off the top of my head, Not Fade Away comes to mind as a cover from Buddy Holly, even though the Stones 'Bo Diddley-ized' it. But overall, I think its true that they maintained the African-American sound better than the Beatles. Still, they made it their own.

Dylan's "Like A Rolling Stone" is another one.

Posted by: StrawberryFields ()
Date: May 26, 2010 23:19

Sadly, the Beatles have only had one single Ringo - the Stones so many of them, so its no wonder the Stones were simply better CB-imitators of. They were fantastic Beatles imitators as well, I truly dig them for that.

[www.northcoastzeitgeist.com]

Posted by: carlostones10 ()
Date: May 26, 2010 23:23

Oh my God. Stones x Beatles again. How many times yet? We are in 2010!

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1525
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home