Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Fancy Man Blues
Posted by: sonyzzz ()
Date: May 25, 2010 22:44

Why this never made it on the Steel Wheels album I will never
know. Straight ahead blues, it's what they do best.

Re: Fancy Man Blues
Posted by: Havo ()
Date: May 25, 2010 22:48

its great!

Posted by: sweet neo con ()
Date: May 25, 2010 22:51

sonyzzz
Why this never made it on the Steel Wheels album I will never
know. Straight ahead blues, it's what they do best.

because it didn't fit (in terms of type of song)....i think that's why most
"non-lp" b-sides are don't make albums. probably a song they liked
that didn't fit...or they realized that if they put a "prev. unreleased" song
on the flipside..it would mean additonal sales to fans.

IORR............but I like it!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-05-25 22:52 by sweet neo con.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: May 25, 2010 22:58

it's a fine track - well-executed standard 12-bar stuff - nothing more or less. can certainly understand its omission from the album. blues-wise, break the spell is far more interesting...

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: May 25, 2010 23:33

NICE guitar from Keith. NICE harmonica from Mick. Stellar track. Sounds fantastic all the way around. It didn't make Steel Wheels because it was too good. With shit like Rock And A Hard Place and Continental Drift and a couple of others that aren't that bad but still... Fancy Man would have been way out of place (too good) to be included.

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: May 25, 2010 23:43

skipstone
NICE guitar from Keith. NICE harmonica from Mick. Stellar track. Sounds fantastic
all the way around. It didn't make Steel Wheels because it was too good. With shit
Rock And A Hard Place and Continental Drift
and a couple of others that aren't that bad but still... Fancy Man would have been
way out of place (too good) to be included.

Gazza?

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: May 25, 2010 23:53

Gazza knows I don't like Continental Drift. I say my opinion and so does everyone else.

What, is Gazza's word the Psalms on if a song sucks/stinks/blows/is not very good/isn't horrible/is good/great/excellent/etc ?

I've often wondered, it seems the whole Continental Drift liking is strictly a UK thing.

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: May 25, 2010 23:56

skipstone
Gazza knows I don't like Continental Drift. I say my opinion and so does everyone else.

What, is Gazza's word the Psalms on if a song sucks/stinks/blows/is not very good/isn't horrible/is good/great/excellent/etc ?

I've often wondered, it seems the whole Continental Drift liking is strictly a UK thing.

I didnĀ“t know that you have so deep and strong feelings about some jokes not
even pointed at you.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: May 26, 2010 00:00

skipstone

yes!

on many occasions several of us have sought gazza's counsel when we weren't sure if we liked a song or were supposed to. i remember once i thought i hated this one song, but after a little personal "gazzaction" it turns out i really liked it, much to my surprise.

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: May 26, 2010 00:07

skipstone

Never realised the UK is an isle?

Posted by: mrfancyman ()
Date: May 26, 2010 00:44

I should be on any album.....

Mr.Fancyman (Blues)

Posted by: ablett ()
Date: May 26, 2010 01:02

"What, is Gazza's word the Psalms on if a song sucks/stinks/blows/is not very good/isn't horrible/is good/great/excellent/etc ?"

Simply put... yes!

It's Gazza's world and we just live in it!!

Posted by: CaledonianGonzo ()
Date: May 26, 2010 01:06

They can do this sort of stuff in their sleep....a standard blues vamp with little to distinguish it from any 12-bar blues ever.

That said, it is[/is] a lot better than most of Steel Wheels.

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: May 26, 2010 01:11

I was 15 years old in Montreal, drinking under-age in a pub. They had a 7" vinyl jukebox, and the only Stones dics they had was Mixed Emotions/Fancy Man Blues. I wanted to play my friends 'new stones', but didn't want to play the lukewarm Mixed Emotions (nothing on Steel Wheels appealed to many teens at time in Canada). So I took a shot and chose Fancy Man Blues.

It wasn't exactly Exile or Let It Bleed worthy, but I concur, even at the time I perfered this light 12-bar ditty over any of that over-glossed unimportant collection of non-songs from Steel Wheels.

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: May 26, 2010 01:13

ablett
"What, is Gazza's word the Psalms on if a song sucks/stinks/blows/is not very good/isn't horrible/is good/great/excellent/etc ?"

Simply put... yes!

It's Gazza's world and we just live in it!!

right, ...and to add - if you have any questions that keep nagging at you, Skipstone - ask away, here:
[www.iorr.org]

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: May 27, 2010 17:37

sweet neo con
because it didn't fit (in terms of type of song)....

If it would have been on the album, it would have 'fit'

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: May 27, 2010 17:39

Good tune!

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: May 27, 2010 17:51

awwesome track .what the stones do best ,good ole twelve bar blues .way back i got the steelwheels outtakes i forget what it's called but i could not stop playing this track and then rarities comes out and i was in heaven .i wish the stones had a similiar track on abb instead of back of my hand with mick's sears silvertone guitar and his slide .

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: May 27, 2010 18:52

skipstone

i like continental drift and i am not in the uk .to me it's a little deja -vu in a brian jones kinda way .which is the vibe the glimmers were going for i think ?

Posted by: sweet neo con ()
Date: May 30, 2010 03:59

StonesTod
skipstone

yes!

on many occasions several of us have sought gazza's counsel when we weren't sure if we liked a song or were supposed to. i remember once i thought i hated this one song, but after a little personal "gazzaction" it turns out i really liked it, much to my surprise.

this admission is somewhat scary. skipstone might be joking (not sure) but it seems many take Gazza's word as gospel...
..i don't even think gazza takes himself that seriously. this is reminiscent of the IORRer/Lemming that needed others to tell
him which Exile package to purchase.

This post is by no means a jab at Gazza....he is obviously a huge fan with tons of Knowledge
but it's sad when others need help to form (what should be) a personal opinion.

Not even sure why TOO TOUGH posted that....joke or not. winking smiley

IORR............but I like it!

Posted by: tomcat2006 ()
Date: May 30, 2010 23:56

Outstandingly simple and simply outstanding

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2377
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home