Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Honky Tonk Women at 40
Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: August 25, 2009 18:29

No,not 40 year old MILFs, but the song.

Could you imagine in 1969 listening to a 40 year old song? A song from 1929? Too weird.

Great song though (I know we've all heard it plenty) - Charlie and Keith really weaving, the cowbell, the risque lyrics, the bass coming in at the chorus,a nice raunchy attitude.

I still love it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-08-25 18:29 by Elmo Lewis.

Re: Honky Tonk Women at 40
Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: August 25, 2009 18:32

... Could you imagine in 1969 listening to a 40 year old song? A song from 1929? Too weird ...

Oh man, you are so right. Never thought of it this way.

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: rootsman ()
Date: August 25, 2009 18:38

Well, my father sure listened to jazz from 1929ish in 1969...
Maybe that says something about me/us here?

Posted by: glencar ()
Date: August 25, 2009 18:43

Exactly! It's our music & it's incredibly good to us but I wonder if the 20-somethings of today even know it. So many of them seem quite clueless.

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: August 25, 2009 18:45

well, the stones in 68/69 were listening to the blues of the thirties...

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: August 25, 2009 18:46

Elmo thanks for pointing out that the bass doesn't come in till the chorus, in HTW...it is one of the keys to playing it, and so many people I've played it with don't realize it..!!

one of the best songs ever!

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: August 25, 2009 19:07

probably my all time fav stones song

Date: August 25, 2009 19:28

duke richardson
Elmo thanks for pointing out that the bass doesn't come in till the chorus, in HTW...it is one of the keys to playing it, and so many people I've played it with don't realize it..!!

Bass also doesn't come in until the chorus on "Start Me Up". In both songs, it takes it to another level. Long live Bill.

"No Anchovies, Please"

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: August 25, 2009 19:43

i listen to a helluva lot more from 1929 than i do from 2009, so, yeah, it's not difficult to imagine at all....

Date: August 25, 2009 20:36

True - some great songs written back then, but not on most people's radar in 1969 or 2009.

Posted by: Filip020169 ()
Date: August 25, 2009 20:53

Quote: maumau
"well, the stones in 68/69 were listening to the blues of the thirties..."

... and so did 'we' (I was born january 2, 1969 smoking smiley ), Stones people, in 1969!
We heard the Stones play "Love in Vain" back then, right!? ...
Robert Johnson, 1937- as you all know.

... Okay; 'only' 30 (not 40) years old that one, at that time. But you catch the drift...

Posted by: NickB ()
Date: August 25, 2009 21:41

Yeah number 1 the week I was born.

NickB

You can't always get what you want.....

www.myspace.com/thesonkings

Posted by: Bärs ()
Date: August 25, 2009 22:05

Elmo Lewis
duke richardson

Bass also doesn't come in until the chorus on "Start Me Up". In both songs, it takes it to another level. Long live Bill.

Are you sure about the bass on Start Me Up?

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: August 25, 2009 22:07

Rolling Hansie
... Could you imagine in 1969 listening to a 40 year old song? A song from 1929? Too weird ...

Oh man, you are so right. Never thought of it this way.

I always think of it that way...

Date: August 25, 2009 22:09

the chorus on start me up is how the song begins....so it was sort of a trick question/comment....

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: August 25, 2009 22:21

I'm sure around the time Of HTW Keef liked to listen to and play old country or blue grass songs, or blues that were 40 years old or more.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2009-08-25 22:22 by ryanpow.

Posted by: stein ()
Date: August 25, 2009 22:57

Nearly nobody exept those who listend to classic music in 69 was listning to music older than 10 years. HTW and a lot of other big hits released in the 60 is to good to be forgotten

Date: August 25, 2009 23:12

stein
Nearly nobody exept those who listend to classic music in 69 was listning to music older than 10 years.

how do know this? many of the guys who wrote the book on bluesrock were listening intently to the likes of robert johnson and charley patton for inspiration...the claptons and johnny winters still talk about it....

Posted by: Tumblin_Dice_07 ()
Date: August 25, 2009 23:20

glencar
Exactly! It's our music & it's incredibly good to us but I wonder if the 20-somethings of today even know it. So many of them seem quite clueless.

While I have to agree that many, if not most, 20-something's and younger wouldn't know the song, I was quite pleasantly surprised to hear it on my 18 yr. old girlfriend's Ipod a couple days ago. She and her younger sister (13) were grooving to it. But her playlist also included "Gimme Shelter", "Brown Sugar", and "Torn And Frayed", and I'm sure that her interest in the Stones music comes from my influence, but hey, at least the youngin's are listening to them.

Date: August 25, 2009 23:26

i think some here might be surprised how many 20-somethings "get it" - and get it better than many of us even did back in our 20's....i know alot of 20-somethings personally who could teach many here a thing or two about good music. i was also very heartened at the recent phish shows i went to - almost entirely 20-somethings who weren't just incredibly knowledgeable about phish, but about a wide range of music...old and new. don't underestimate the kids of today - if the music is good, true music fans will find it....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-08-25 23:35 by StonesTod.

Posted by: bassplayer617 ()
Date: August 25, 2009 23:53

Two, no three comments:

1. One of my nephews, an aspiring bassist in his twenties, uses "HTW" as his ringtone.

2. I was 12 when the single was released, and this is still my all-time favorite Stones song.

3. I regularly listen to music that is hundreds of years old (Mozart, Wagner et al).

Date: August 25, 2009 23:56

yup...most of what i listen to is at least 40 years old - much of it much older. it's not necessarily that older music is better than newer stuff - but, as dylan once said - there is just so much more of it. listening to some 70 year old blues as i type, btw....

Posted by: LOGIE ()
Date: August 26, 2009 02:30

One of THE greatest records ever!!!

I took the day off school to go and buy it from my local record store, but on the way there, was sidetracked by the local girls' school's annual sports day that was taking place in the park.

Five hours later, sweaty, with my clothes covered in grass, I finally made it to NEMS who, alas, had just sold their last copy.

That four-day wait for fresh stocks to arrive, seemed to last about six months.

Lesson 1: NEVER put girls before essential Stones purchases.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: August 26, 2009 02:38

Wow LOGIE ..... Thought I was readin' Stone Alone there for a sec...

ROCKMAN

Posted by: LOGIE ()
Date: August 26, 2009 02:45

LOL!!!!!!

Nice one, Rockman!!!!

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: August 26, 2009 02:50

As long as ya scored mate .........

ROCKMAN

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: August 26, 2009 03:08

In '69, Contry Honk def. was a throw back to a different era.

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: August 26, 2009 10:11

glencar

Clueless? Of songs 40 years old... maybe.
They're listening to stuff of today.
And there is good new music if you know where to look.
And it ain't the radio.
Too many grumpy old farts refuse to give younger people credit these days.

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: August 26, 2009 10:20

there's a lot of great music today, and yes you would not find it on main stream radio stations. a lot that, as the stones did 40 years ago, gets inspiration from old blues, country and folk music, just doing it in different ways

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: August 26, 2009 11:00

StonesTod
don't underestimate the kids of today - if the music is good, true music fans will find it....
You're right! I'm glad several people here actually see it this way. I suppose some youngsters did listen to jazz from '29 back in '69. But today with the internet and ipods and itunes and spotify, etc., young people have cheap access to huge amounts of music and it's very common for today's kids to collect very different kinds of music at once.

In '69, you had such a revolution of rock 'n' roll (and other "young" styles) that the kids had no reason to associate with older genres, but today you notice that most youngsters turn to the music of the '60s, '70s and '80s sooner or later because it's often more interesting than new music.

Just my $.02.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1763
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home