Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Highwire..performed
Posted by: tippy2toes ()
Date: August 31, 2009 19:13

Has Highwire ever been performed live? If so when, where.. I'm trying to find it for a friend.

Re: Highwire..performed
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: August 31, 2009 19:16

No, never performed live.

It's a shame. It could sound great.

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: August 31, 2009 19:17

be a great break for keef

Date: August 31, 2009 20:00

I seriously can't picture Mick doing these Keith-ish open G riffs on Highwire.

Posted by: tippy2toes ()
Date: August 31, 2009 20:14

I think it would be a great song done live.

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: August 31, 2009 21:03

Guðni Gunnarsson

can you picture keith doing keith-ish riffs of any kind these days?

Posted by: straycatuk ()
Date: August 31, 2009 21:04

T&A
Guðni Gunnarsson

OUCH !

Posted by: barbabang ()
Date: August 31, 2009 21:41

Apparently it's Mick who plays the riff on the track. If not than at least he wrote it.

Date: August 31, 2009 22:02

<I seriously can't picture Mick doing these Keith-ish open G riffs on Highwire.>

Well, he did on Sad Sad Sad...

Posted by: JJHMick ()
Date: August 31, 2009 22:04

The lyrics killed the whole thing - just like A Bigger Bang (Dangerous Beauty, Sweet Neo-Con)! Times for profits out of censorship/no air play were gone by then. For sure, NOW everybody is against selling tanks to maniacs like Hussein and Taliban but THEN it was some kind of stabbing in the back of our (US, UK and probably the whole Western hemisphere) boys in Iraq.
I remember some note in the paper that a Britsh member of Parliament was saying "Mister Jagger, sing about the true war criminals,the Germans who sold the killing gas to Hussein" at the time of the Highwire Gulf War.
I talked about the subject of playing live to the troups in Iraq and Afghanistan to (let's call it) 'one of the two bosses of another famous English group founded in the 60s that is still successfully active, especially live'. He said: "We would play for the soldiers but not for our politicians".

Posted by: mickscarey ()
Date: August 31, 2009 22:15

Hey, JJF, while you are RIGHT...be careful

Posted by: deuce ()
Date: August 31, 2009 22:16

It's a great song and may have been remembered more had it not been tacked onto the end of a live album and if the lyrics were different.

I love that middle section though when there are like 4 or 5 guitars going at the same time.

Date: August 31, 2009 22:24

T&A

Good point. He may not have the same technique he used to but still, that riff isn't exactly rocket science. I mean... if Mick could pull it off.

DandelionPowderman
Well, he did on Sad Sad Sad...

IMO totally different sound. That's like Don't Stop or Rain Fall Down. Very Jagger-ish.

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: August 31, 2009 23:39

JJHMick
The lyrics killed the whole thing - just like A Bigger Bang (Dangerous Beauty, Sweet Neo-Con)! Times for profits out of censorship/no air play were gone by then. For sure, NOW everybody is against selling tanks to maniacs like Hussein and Taliban but THEN it was some kind of stabbing in the back of our (US, UK and probably the whole Western hemisphere) boys in Iraq.
I remember some note in the paper that a Britsh member of Parliament was saying "Mister Jagger, sing about the true war criminals,the Germans who sold the killing gas to Hussein" at the time of the Highwire Gulf War.
I talked about the subject of playing live to the troups in Iraq and Afghanistan to (let's call it) 'one of the two bosses of another famous English group founded in the 60s that is still successfully active, especially live'. He said: "We would play for the soldiers but not for our politicians".

Probably (Sir) Mick was wiser than I ever thought...

Posted by: filstan ()
Date: August 31, 2009 23:55

What is wrong with the lyrics to Highwire? I thought they were very well thought out, and expressed a viewpoint about what was going on in the Middle East the first go around. A really good song that was a sign of the times. Would be a fine number performed live assuming these guys can actually go out and play again.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: September 1, 2009 08:11

How come some people just can't accept that Mick does indeed play in open-G like Keith and plays like Keith?

Why wouldn't he? It's quite obvious - he wrote Brown Sugar, he starts Sad Sad Sad, he plays Highwire, yet alone various other tunes (Crazy Mama for one).

Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: September 1, 2009 10:07

It is a missed chance they did not play it live at the Osaka Dome in 2003. Mick would
have shown he really cared if he did put it on the setlist that night.
Oh, please don't make the comparison between the lyrics of Highwire and Sweet Neo Con.
It's like comparing Dom Perignon with Coca Cola.

Date: September 1, 2009 10:48

<IMO totally different sound>

No, the sound on Jagger's OpenG guitar is very similar on Steel Wheels and the Highwire-single. Of course, it sounds a bit different live, but Jagger could hace pulled this off if he wanted to, imo.

Posted by: Slick ()
Date: September 1, 2009 11:36

filstan
What is wrong with the lyrics to Highwire? I thought they were very well thought out, and expressed a viewpoint about what was going on in the Middle East the first go around. A really good song that was a sign of the times. Would be a fine number performed live assuming these guys can actually go out and play again.
what was going on in the Middle East the first go around is not stonesy at all, thats whats wrong with the lyrics. let joan baez sing about that, not stones lol.

Posted by: rootsman ()
Date: September 1, 2009 17:30

Never mind who plays guitar - it´s one of the few later Stones classics IMO!

Also with lyrics that actually tries to say something for a change...

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: September 1, 2009 23:07

Highwire is a strong rocker, unfortunately the Stones ignored it like so many post 1981 songs.

Posted by: gimme_shelter ()
Date: September 2, 2009 01:05

Didn't Flip The Switch play this live???

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1416
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home