Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Help with "Fortune Teller" versions please
Posted by: wiredallnight ()
Date: March 2, 2024 18:01

On this ancient bootleg "Ultra Rare Trax Vol. 5" there is for sure no new and unknown version. It is a very bad compilation from the early CD bootleg times, taken from vinyl with crackles. And the cover information is often wrong.

Re: Help with "Fortune Teller" versions please
Posted by: Kingbeebuzz ()
Date: March 3, 2024 18:12

Martin Elliott has very kindly clarified the entry (below) in his Complete Recording Sessions book.

It was his entry (a) Alternative Version. (2.06) which I did not understand and could not find any info about which triggered me to post.

9 July 1963 Decca, London, England.
S0027. Fortune Teller I (2.18)
(a) Alternative Version (2.06)
S0028. Fortune Teller II (1.56)

Martin has now confirmed "The way Nico has presented his information is the way I understand it. My (a) alternate version was without Brian’s harp. I agree there are two live versions of each track."

This confirms the Stones only ever recorded 2 version of Fortune Teller in 1963 (and then in 1966 added audience sounds to both tracks).

Thanks to all........I can now move on to sort out all 1964 studio takes in my collection.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2024-03-03 18:14 by Kingbeebuzz.

Re: Track Talk: Fortune Teller
Posted by: HenrikBB ()
Date: March 7, 2024 11:14

Great thread, - that made me curious, as I never really paid Fortune Teller much attention. I am really surprised that so many versions/combinations exist on official releases . . .

Blueturns2grey nails it with his #1 & #2

#1 longer version (roughly 2:16) with harmonica and repetition of last two lines.
#2 shorter version (roughly 2:06) lot of tambourine, no harmonica and no repeat.

Both versions have been released as studio recordings, and both versions have been produced and released with audience screaming to imitate live recordings.

#1 came on “Saturday Club” compilation and Dutch “Greatest Hits” in Mono.

In 1968 it was released in Electronically Re-Processed Stereo on ERPS re-release of “Greatest Hits” in Holland.
On “More Hot Rocks” 1972, #1 was in ERPS too, - and so was compilations like
“Solid Rock” and Australien “Stones”

#2 does not seem to have been vinyl released with or without audience screaming.

London CD “More Hot Rocks 2” has #1 in Mono, and so has Abkco 2002 DSD Remasters.

Old Abkco CD “More Hot Rocks” has #2 in Mono with faded ending.

On all vinyl releases of “Got Live If You Want It / Have You Seen Your Mother Live” #1 seems to have been used in both Mono and so called “Stereo” (music plays mainly in the left channel, and screaming in the right).
It fades a little different on various versions . . .
On “Gimme Shelter” pretty early, - at 2:01

The strange London CD GLIYWI - with silence between the tracks, has #1 in reversed Stereo (audience to the left) compared to all vinyls.

The Old Abkco GLIYWI has #2 with a pretty sudden ending at 1:53, -
and this version was also used on the 2002 DSD release of GLIYWI, they are
both Mono.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2024-03-07 11:36 by HenrikBB.

Posted by: ironbelly ()
Date: March 7, 2024 12:49

HenrikBB

both Mono.
I always wonder why those CDs, both old ABKCO 1986 GLIYWI and ABKCO 2002 GLIYWI, are called mono. To my ears they are not mono but rather bad electronically processed stereo. There are tons of artifacts and phase shifts throughout the program. Some songs are effected more than the others. Well, it is something poorly produced 'off balanced' of 'off phase' but it is not even close to mono where both the left and the right channels are identical.

Posted by: ironbelly ()
Date: March 7, 2024 13:15

Let me explain the previous statement with a couple of figures (not related to Fortune Teller, sorry)
The song is I'm Alright.

This sample is from 2002 version of Out Of Our Heads (US)

This is what is left when the right channel is subtracted from the left

You see zero signal in the left channel. I.e. the left and the right channels are identical and the track is in mono.

This sample is from 2002 version of GLIYWI.

And this is after subtraction of the right channel from the left.

The residual signal in the left channel is not even close to zero. You call it the way you want it.

The same can be done for Fortune Teller. Although, this is not a 'clean' experiment
From 2002 More Hot Rocks (no audience overdubs)

After channel subtraction

The track is mono.

Fortune Teller (the same take but with audience overdubs) from 2002 GLIYWI

And after channel subtraction

The very same pattern as for I'm Alright. It is not clean mono. You call the mix the way you like it.

Date: March 7, 2024 14:02

ironbelly
HenrikBB

both Mono.
I always wonder why those CDs, both old ABKCO 1986 GLIYWI and ABKCO 2002 GLIYWI, are called mono. To my ears they are not mono but rather bad electronically processed stereo. There are tons of artifacts and phase shifts throughout the program. Some songs are effected more than the others. Well, it is something poorly produced 'off balanced' of 'off phase' but it is not even close to mono where both the left and the right channels are identical.

Of course you are absolutely correct !
I called them Mono, - as they are not Stereo . . . at least not in a
classical way . . nor are they ERPS sounding like made deliberately.
Btw the Old Abkco GLIYWI has no mention of either Mono or Stereo, -
and the 2002DSD has a funny “This stereo hybrid SACD can be played on any standard Compact Disc Player” description printed on the CD.

Posted by: Valeswood ()
Date: March 7, 2024 14:12

Fortune Teller is also on The Rolling Stones Story - Part 2 (The Rest Of The Best) which is a four LP box set from 1983/1984. Not sure which version it is though.

Date: March 7, 2024 14:34

Valeswood
Fortune Teller is also on The Rolling Stones Story - Part 2 (The Rest Of The Best) which is a four LP box set from 1983/1984. Not sure which version it is though.

Absolutely right ! On “The Rest Of The Best” it is #1 - Mono, - just like it is on “Collectors Only” and Japan compilation “A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss”

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2024-03-07 14:36 by HenrikBB.

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: March 7, 2024 17:22

I absolutely love this track. One of the first Stones songs I ever heard down here in Australia. Sent a shiver down my spine. Still does.

Rod

Posted by: buffalo7478 ()
Date: March 9, 2024 19:02

I had the pleasure/honor of meeting Allen Toussaint (after an Elvis Costello concert and after an Allen solo performance). A true gentleman, in the best sense of the word. RIP

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2501
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home