Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Ike Davis (NY Mets) Stones connection
Posted by: HalfNanker ()
Date: May 25, 2010 05:07

The Mets new first baseman--Ike Davis-- comes to bat each time at home to the sound of Start Me Up. For those of you who may not be baseball fans; generally the team lets a player choose the music he wants played every time he comes to bat. Though Start Me Up is not an exciting choice, it is better than the rap or salsa you generally get with most of today's players, and it's kind of cool to see a 23 year old who has good musical taste. A few years ago another Met--John Franco--would come in to pitch to Johnny B. Goode. Another solid choice. I think I would choose the instrumental to Can't You Hear Me Knocking.

For those of you in Europe who have no idea what i am talking about...sorry! Move on to the next thread!

Re: Ike Davis (NY Mets) Stones connection
Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: May 25, 2010 05:18

..frustrating weekend for Yankees fans..but Ike Davis was entertaining and David Wright...well he's just too cute

Posted by: BrianJPreston ()
Date: May 25, 2010 05:24

Ike is an ASU guy who used the same song in college. The guy is also a not a bad left handed pitcher either. He was arguably the best left handed reliever we had on a team that was one of ASU's best. Yes, the Stones deal is great as well. He is a very nice guy.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: May 25, 2010 05:38

HalfNanker
The Mets new first baseman--Ike Davis-- comes to bat each time at home to the sound of Start Me Up. For those of you who may not be baseball fans; generally the team lets a player choose the music he wants played every time he comes to bat. Though Start Me Up is not an exciting choice, it is better than the rap or salsa you generally get with most of today's players, and it's kind of cool to see a 23 year old who has good musical taste. A few years ago another Met--John Franco--would come in to pitch to Johnny B. Goode. Another solid choice. I think I would choose the instrumental to Can't You Hear Me Knocking.

For those of you in Europe who have no idea what i am talking about...sorry! Move on to the next thread!

Excellent! I am a Mets fan even longer than I have been a Stones fan. DOWN with the Yankees.

Date: May 25, 2010 20:39

BrianJPreston
Ike is an ASU guy who used the same song in college. The guy is also a not a bad left handed pitcher either. He was arguably the best left handed reliever we had on a team that was one of ASU's best. Yes, the Stones deal is great as well. He is a very nice guy.

good to hear hear he is a nice guy and a Stones fan; though next time you talk to him tell him to switch it up a little bit (Start Me Up has been used at too many sporting events for too long). At the moment he is a hero in NY, though--a bright spot on an underachieving team.

Posted by: stones_serb ()
Date: May 26, 2010 03:00

HalfNanker

Hey, I am from Europe and I am quite a rabid baseball fan.Ike is one of the better rookies out there.Good series against the Yankees but The Yanks are in a really bad slump right now.The injuries have completely derailed them.Somehow I don;t see The Yankees in the playoff this season.They shouldn't have ditched Damon and Hideki Matsui.I think that these two proved to be a great cushion for their biggest stars like A-Roid and Jeter.
As for The Mets they seem to have a lot of potential but i doubt that they will be able to jeopardize Philly's progress to the postseason.Anyway, it's still too early to make serious predictions

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-05-26 03:14 by stones_serb.

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: May 26, 2010 03:12

why is it not an exciting choice?

Posted by: baxlap ()
Date: May 26, 2010 06:59

Wouldn't it be a hoot if some ballplayer used the intro to the MC5's Kick Out the Jams as a walk-on? Every time he came to the plate or into the game: "Right now, it's time to [pause] KICK OUT THE JAMS, MOTHERF-CKERS!"

To protect the women and children, however, I'd go with the intro to the Stooges' "I Wanna Be Your Dog."

Posted by: JMoisica ()
Date: May 26, 2010 07:03

I always thought Gimme Shelter would be a great walk-on song for a closer...

Posted by: baxlap ()
Date: May 26, 2010 07:19

JMoisica

The greatest closer ever, Mariano Rivera, has the greatest walk-on ever for a closer, Enter Sandman by Metallica.

"Off to Neverneverland!" Bold words, but he's backed them up for 15 years and, unlike Jonathan Papelbon, has never been a jerk in the process.

Date: May 26, 2010 08:07

baxlap
JMoisica

The greatest closer ever, Mariano Rivera, has the greatest walk-on ever for a closer, Enter Sandman by Metallica.

"Off to Neverneverland!" Bold words, but he's backed them up for 15 years and, unlike Jonathan Papelbon, has never been a jerk in the process.

I don't care. He plays for the Evil Empire.

Posted by: fiftyamp ()
Date: May 26, 2010 08:07

Big Mets fan. Ike is impressive. He seems to handle the pressure very well for a rookie. I think he's the real deal.

If I was a ballplayer, I have to go with @#$%& for my Intro..

Date: May 26, 2010 18:14

melillo
why is it not an exciting choice?

As i said earlier, Start Me Up is played all the time before opening jump balls or kick offs. I think if you want (are allowed) to have fun with your choice, you could get more creative with it, thats all. But hey, I'm not complaining, I can't recall any other players using a Stones song as their choice.

Posted by: Hound Dog ()
Date: May 26, 2010 18:42

I am a big Mets fan and noticed this as well. Also agree that Can't You Hear Me Knocking would be a great song to use for a ballplayer.

Date: May 26, 2010 18:45

71Tele
baxlap
JMoisica

...what great irony....a Rolling Stones fan considers the Yankees the evil empire.....

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: May 26, 2010 21:16

Rip This
71Tele
baxlap
JMoisica

...what great irony....a Rolling Stones fan considers the Yankees the evil empire.....
opening day 2005 red sox at yankees randy (big unit) johnson pitches his first game for the yankees(yanks won the game) the year after the hated red sox broke the curse(by the way the curse is back on )my favorite paper the new york post has the headline "the empire strikes back".stuff this good ya just cant make up !!!

Date: May 26, 2010 21:49

Rip This
71Tele
baxlap
JMoisica

Don't see the connection, but sure, if you like...Can't help it. Dad rooted for Brooklyn. I grew up with the Mets. I hate the American League for the DH, which desecrates baseball and for taking more than a decade to widely integrate black players. Red Sox and Yankees were particularly heinous on that issue.

Date: May 26, 2010 22:07

....oh OK...by those standards remind me to never cross the Mason Dixie line ever again....as for the Mets/Dodgers thing...sweet..but that connection except for maybe Gil Hodges and that they are in the National League is tenuous at best....re: the irony...try charges the most, makes the most, spends the most, delivers mot of the time... for starters....

Date: May 27, 2010 03:36

Rip This
....oh OK...by those standards remind me to never cross the Mason Dixie line ever again....as for the Mets/Dodgers thing...sweet..but that connection except for maybe Gil Hodges and that they are in the National League is tenuous at best....re: the irony...try charges the most, makes the most, spends the most, delivers mot of the time... for starters....

Rivera is a great pitcher, no doubt. It is possible for me to hate the Yankees as an organization and greatly respect certain players: DiMaggio, Mantle, Berra, I love them all. I have worked with the Yankees professionally (I got to outfit Whitey Ford, Berra, and Stottlemeyer). Mets/Dodgers connection is not at all tenuous. The Mets were a very conscious replacement for the lost Dodgers and Giants, including team colors, emblems, early players, etc. National league fans of those teams could not adopt the Yankees.

I still hate Jeter and the DH is an abomination against God.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1357
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home