Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
O.T - Jack White's got (another) new band!
Posted by: Adrian-L ()
Date: March 12, 2009 14:13

[www.nme.com]

The White Stripes' Jack White and The Kills' Alison Mosshart have formed a new band – The Dead Weather.

The band, which also features Jack Lawrence of White's 'other' band The Raconteurs and Dean Fertita of Queens Of The Stone Age, played a gig in the offices of White's label Third Man Records in Nashville last night (March 11) in front of 150 people.

The collective are set to release an album, 'Horehound', in June, , according to Thirdmanrecords.com.

The album was produced by White and will feature lead single 'Hang You From The Heavens', which you can hear by clicking on the video below. Plus see Thedeadweather.com for more information.

The single will be backed up by a cover of Gary Numan's 'Are Friends Electric?' and is available on iTunes now.

Re: O.T - Jack White's got (another) new band!
Posted by: stone-relics ()
Date: March 12, 2009 14:22

Man, does that guy ever sleep?

Cant wait!

JR

Posted by: Adams ()
Date: March 12, 2009 14:24

He'a a drummer and he sings this time.

Third Man Records, the imprint on which Jack White releases all of his music including The White Stripes and The Raconteurs, now has a physical location in downtown Nashville. White's new Third Man Records building serves as the company HQ and houses the label's offices plus a vinyl record store, photo studio, dark room and performance stage.

In celebration of the building's opening, the label’s newest rock outfit, The Dead Weather, delivered their first public performance with a set including songs from their forthcoming album, Horehound. The band, fronted by Alison Mosshart (known to music fans as one half of The Kills) includes The Raconteurs' Jack Lawrence on bass, Dean Fertita from Queens Of The Stone Age on guitar and Jack White on drums and vocals. In addition to playing, White also served as producer on Horehound. Recording took place earlier this year in just three weeks at the newly constructed Third Man Studio, designed from the ground up by White. Third Man plans a June release for the album.

Around 150 fans, family and friends attended the Third Man Records grand opening event and exchanged their letter-pressed invitations for limited edition 7" vinyl pressings of The Dead Weather's debut single "Hang You From The Heavens" (b/w a stealth cover of Gary Numan's "Are Friends Electric?"). The Dead Weather hand painted each of the 150 7" records that also included a different photo booth strip of the band members. Downloads of these two songs are now available exclusively through iTunes.

Date: March 12, 2009 14:49

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: March 12, 2009 15:22

[www.latimes.com]
From the Los Angeles Times
Jack White's newest stripe
His new band, Dead Weather, plays a 20-minute set, sounding a lot like a stripped-down version of the White Stripes.
By Randy Lewis

March 12, 2009

Reporting from Nashville — Jack White took the wraps off his new band here Wednesday night, launching phase three of his ever-evolving career with a 20-minute live performance by Dead Weather, fronted by the Kills singer Alison Mosshart, at the site of his new Third Man Records headquarters.

The private show, attended by about 150 invitees, took place in the downtown building that houses not only the label's offices but a performance space, a record store specializing in vinyl, a photo studio and a darkroom.

White, playing drums and singing with Mosshart, is joined in the new group by two of his Raconteurs bandmates, guitarist Dean Fertita (also from Queens of the Stone Age) and bassist Jack Lawrence.

During the four-song set, Mosshart writhed at the mike while Fertita and Lawrence provided the heavy blues-rock groove on sibling white single-cutaway Gretsch hollow body guitar and bass. Mosshart joined them with a matching white Bo Diddley cigar box guitar for "So Far From Your Weapon."

White took his place at the drums, the instrument on which he first learned to play music. He came out from behind his kit just once, duetting at the mike with Mosshart on "Weapon."

The band's debut album, "Horehound," is due in June, and the first single will be "Hang You From the Heavens," which Third Man is issuing on a 7-inch vinyl single as well as making it available for download.

Before the performance, White, outfitted head to toe in black, said he had wanted to put together a multifaceted space like the one he's created for Third Man for some time, but his myriad musical pursuits proved too much of a distraction.

"I've been wanting to do this for eight years, but it's taken that long to have enough time -- and I mean like 15 minutes," White, 33, said, as guests, including Sheryl Crow and Martina McBride, chatted in the complex's kitchen-lounge, which was decorated with a '40s and '50s retro vibe.

"The key is the United Pressing Plant is two blocks away. We've set it up so we can put things out immediately."

He said Third Man would focus mainly on his musical projects. He aims to reissue whatever music of his own that's out of print as well as recordings that are out of circulation, and he spoke energetically about restoring some of the physical component of experiencing music that's been lost in the age of downloading and what he calls "invisible music."

"Only 20% of music released during the 20th century is available right now," White said. "That's a lot of music that's getting lost."

It was easy to get lost in "Horehound" during Wednesday's listening session. The album was cranked close to pain threshold on monstrous vintage McIntosh tube stereo amplifiers, one of them whimsically relabeled as a "JackIntosh."

White has managed to find a considerable amount of inspiration in his adopted hometown of Nashville. He has recorded much of his work with the Raconteurs in the country music capital, in addition to the 2004 album he played on and produced for Loretta Lynn, "Van Lear Rose."

The man with a penchant for vintage western clothing bought a house here at the end of 2005 for a reported $3.1 million -- painting the front door and chimney White Stripes red and establishing Music City as his new home with his wife, supermodel Karen Elson, and their two young children.

He turned most of his attention to the Raconteurs after White Stripes drummer Meg White pulled out of a planned 2007 tour because of sudden-onset anxiety. But they reportedly have been recording periodically and resurfaced about three weeks ago for a performance on "Late Night With Conan O'Brien" for the host's final show before taking over his new duties chairing " The Tonight Show."

The shy percussionist, along with the Raconteurs' Brendan Benson, was on hand Wednesday to show support for Dead Weather, which with songs built on gargantuan guitar and bass hooks, thunderous drums and Mosshart's yearning vocals, has more in common sonically with stripped-down White Stripes and, occasionally, the sinister rock of the Kills than that of the Raconteurs.

She wasn't talking, but White's manager said the duo was still alive and well. "They've made a movie and there will be a new album out, probably next year," Ian Montone said.

Regardless of the viability of the White Stripes, White's multi-pronged approach to music-making has made him the poster boy for a new millennial model in which musicians develop different forums for their creative impulses.

"I'm on a major label, obviously," Crow said a few minutes before Dead Weather inaugurated the Third Man performance space. "It's exciting to those of us who face some of the frustrations of being on a major label to think there's a place like this that can help people put more music out quickly."

Ultimately, White's experiment to build a company that can usher music directly from those who create it to those who want to hear it faces the same question Dead Weather poses in the closing track of "Horehound":

"When I set sail

Will there be enough wind? . . .

Will there be enough water

When my ship comes in?"

randy.lewis@latimes.com

Date: March 12, 2009 15:28

Posted by: yorkshirestone ()
Date: March 12, 2009 21:27

I f*cking love everything about Jack White and hope this makes it three brilliant bands he's in out of three. Go Jack for not resting on your laurels.

Posted by: Cafaro ()
Date: March 12, 2009 21:34

Another winner. To me, he is one of the most, if not the most innovative popular musician to come out in quite sometime. I think we finally have the first standout of the new millenium

Posted by: stone-relics ()
Date: March 12, 2009 21:35

He's the new freaking Brian Jones.....GO JACK, GO! That song above ROCKS...

JR

Posted by: rattler2004 ()
Date: March 12, 2009 21:52

loog droog
His new band, Dead Weather, plays a 20-minute set, sounding a lot like a stripped-down version of the White Stripes.

Kind of an oxymoron to say stripped-down version of the Stripes huh? since you can't get more stripped-down than the Stripes (and still call yourself a band)

the shoot 'em dead, brainbell jangler!

Date: March 12, 2009 22:18

Their two songs are @#$%& awesome.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: March 13, 2009 00:11

If that's a fair sample of the new band - can't wait for the rest!

Posted by: Lukester ()
Date: March 13, 2009 06:15

awesome

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: March 13, 2009 07:22

Excellent, thanks! Here's the b-side, "Are Friends Electric?":

Date: April 8, 2009 14:41

[www.nme.com]

The Dead Weather have announced their very show for the public, set to take place in New York next week.

The project features The White Stripes' Jack White and The Kills' Alison Mosshart, along with Jack Lawrence of The Raconteurs and Dean Fertita of Queens Of The Stone Age. The new group recently performed a showcase in the offices of White's label Third Man Records in Nashville on March 11 in front of 150 people.

The band are currently gearing up for the release of their album 'Horehound', which was recorded at Third Man Studios earlier this year, and will be released in June.

The album was produced by White and will feature lead single
'Hang You From The Heavens'
The single will be backed up by a cover of Tubeway Army's 'Are 'Friends' Electric?', and is available on iTunes now.

The New York show will take place at Bowery Ballroom in New York on April 14.

Tickets will go on sale this Wednesday, April 8 at 10am EST, and there will be a two-ticket limit per person.

Posted by: Nanker Phlegm ()
Date: April 8, 2009 15:06

Mr. White doesn't need a new band, he needs a new song.

Date: May 15, 2009 11:20

going to see them in London on June 24th spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: May 15, 2009 15:22

[www.thedeadweather.com]

I like it too.

Date: May 15, 2009 17:06

London tickets still available

[www.seetickets.com]{C1113177-A149-4611-AF89-8B44B4FA6736}&filler1=gigsandt&filler2=search

Posted by: cbtaco19 ()
Date: May 15, 2009 17:26

Pretty ingenious choice of a cover song

Date: May 15, 2009 17:48

I'm going to the first Dead Weather gig here in DC...

I think Jack White's the cats miau.

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: May 15, 2009 17:58

Nanker Phlegm
Mr. White doesn't need a new band, he needs a new song.

Glad you said it- I'm not allowed! LOL

Date: May 29, 2009 13:16

[www.nme.com]

Following the selling-out of their July 16 show, The Dead Weather, have announced a second gig in New York, to take place on July 17.

The gigs, which will take place at Terminal 5, are part of the band’s upcoming debut tour of North America, which kicks off in Louisville, KY on June 11.

The Dead Weather’s debut album 'Horehound' is set to be released on July 14 in North America, and a day earlier in Europe.

The dates are:

Louisville, KY City Block (June 11)
Washington, DC 9:30 Club (July 13, 14)
New York, NY Terminal 5 (16, 17)
Boston, MA House Of Blues (18)
Ottawa, Ottawa Blues Festival (Rogers Stage) (19)
Montreal, Olympia De Montreal (21)
Toronto, Kool Haus (22)
Detroit, MI The Fillmore (24)
Columbus, OH The LC Pavillion (25)
Minneapolis, MN First Avenue (27)
Chicago, IL Vic Theatre (28, 29)
Nashville, TN War Memorial Auditorium (30)
Denver, CO Ogden Theatre (August 17)
Salt Lake City, UT The Depot (18)
Seattle, WA Paramount Theatre (20)
Vancouver, BC Commodore Ballroom (21, 22)
Portland, OR Roseland Theater (23)
Los Angeles, CA Wiltern Theatre (25)
Pomona, CA Glasshouse (27)
San Diego, CA San Diego Street Scene (29)
San Francisco, CA Outside Lands Music & Arts Festival (30)
Austin, TX Austin City Limits Festival – Zilker Park (October 4)

Posted by: sahb ()
Date: May 30, 2009 01:32

Lucky you in US and HMV.Jack is very OK!!!

Posted by: Whale ()
Date: May 30, 2009 11:48

Jack White rules! Really looking forward to this!

Posted by: Whale ()
Date: May 30, 2009 11:53

They'll be in London. Does anybody know whether they will make it to Amsterdam? Last year he played here and it was great.

Date: May 30, 2009 19:13

only playing London, Paris and rumoured Glasto, initially in Europe.
Expect further dates to be announced soon.

Date: June 20, 2009 22:24

live on Conan O'Brien, 18th June

Posted by: Taylor Era ()
Date: June 21, 2009 08:02

the Jack White that butchered 'Loving Cup' on 'Shine A Light because he can't sing??

Uh...what the hell was he doing there? Sorry, but he just ain't that good.

Personally, I can't stand Jack White, his music, the White Stripes, his stupid hair, or his lack of ability to sing or play guitar. Mainly I can't stand him because once in an interview he said Stevie Ray Vaughan was overrated as a guitar player. If anyone is completely overrated, it's Jack White. He's a world class fad.

I am so sick and tired of these snotnose self-appointed musical elitists who listen to lousy, pretentious 'alternative' rock bands and think they're the second fricken coming - bands like White Stripes. There is nothing special about that band at all. The both of them look like sh*t, she has a stupider haircut than he does, if that is possible, their music is dull and Jack White's forced, high-pitched voice sucks, and judging from that Conan clip, this new band of his is even more self-absorbed and just as bad.

Sorry, but someone has got to tell it like it is.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2009-06-21 08:07 by Taylor Era.

Date: June 21, 2009 09:39

Taylor Era
the Jack White that butchered 'Loving Cup' on 'Shine A Light because he can't sing??

Uh...what the hell was he doing there? Sorry, but he just ain't that good.

Personally, I can't stand Jack White, his music, the White Stripes, his stupid hair, or his lack of ability to sing or play guitar. Mainly I can't stand him because once in an interview he said Stevie Ray Vaughan was overrated as a guitar player. If anyone is completely overrated, it's Jack White. He's a world class fad.

I am so sick and tired of these snotnose self-appointed musical elitists who listen to lousy, pretentious 'alternative' rock bands and think they're the second fricken coming - bands like White Stripes. There is nothing special about that band at all. The both of them look like sh*t, she has a stupider haircut than he does, if that is possible, their music is dull and Jack White's forced, high-pitched voice sucks, and judging from that Conan clip, this new band of his is even more self-absorbed and just as bad.

Sorry, but someone has got to tell it like it is.

uhm...not really mac...I happen to think Jack white on shine a light was pretty cool.. at least he was genuine which is more than i can say for most of the rest of the flick..

i'm going to see the dead weather live here in dc.. can't wait .. jack white has never let me down yet..

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1853
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home