Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Video moment - Greatest Rock and Roll Band in the World
Posted by: hbwriter ()
Date: August 21, 2009 10:00

Okay, one vote per customer - a defining moment on video that for you solidifies the fact that the Rolling Stones were, are and always will be, the best freaking band in the universe - I mean, that's why we're here, right?

my vote - the Stones doing Chuck Berry in '72 - proof positive that there is a God

Re: Video moment - Greatest Rock and Roll Band in the World
Posted by: Happy24 ()
Date: August 21, 2009 10:39

I vote for the whole Hampton 81 show (but 72 L&G follows).

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: August 21, 2009 11:39

At the moment I think that THIS is it - this clip captures the VERY unique moment of inspiration when the greatest r&r band of the world is actually born - these kind of moments of creative spark comes probably only once in life. And the guys seem to realize that they have a big gun in their hands now, and no hostages will be taken no more!

If I had another votes, I would go "I'm Alright" of NME Pool Winners concert 1964 or "When the Whip Comes Down" of Hampton '81 or....

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2009-08-21 11:50 by Doxa.

Posted by: UrbanSteel ()
Date: August 21, 2009 11:54

X

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-08-17 13:58 by UrbanSteel.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: August 21, 2009 11:59

I think the JJF promo posted by Doxa is the very finest one
[edit: there's actually an even better promo - in colours, but not the "standard one"....officially released on those "singles collection"-sets]
Bye Bye Johnny of 72 gets a high ranking tho'

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-08-21 12:04 by Erik_Snow.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: August 21, 2009 12:41

I agree that JJF is absolutely incredible - it's psychedelic, it's rock, it's punk - it's everything great about rock'n'roll.

This one also does it for me. It's the Stones in all their creeping, menacing psychedelic glory. And boy, don't they just mean it. The lyrics are transcendental - yup, they're probably inspired by Vietnam but haven't we all felt that storm a-threatenin'. Everybody has those Gimme Shelter moments and that's why this song is so timeless and affecting.
Keith's riff feels like it was cooked in a Voodoo stew and left out to simmer while the wind was howling down a night filled with fire and brimstone.

Date: August 21, 2009 12:48

I think what makes a video clip ESPECIALLY dangerous, is when the band itself knows how good and badass they are at that moment. So the JJF video is that way; all of the L&G concerts are that way. And a good bit of the 69 tour is this way. In 69 you can tell that the band was still kind of re-discovering itself and the new stages. but when Jagger cuts loose on e.g "Satisfaction" in 69 it is hot.

Posted by: Happy24 ()
Date: August 21, 2009 12:58

Wow both the JJF posted by Doxa and GS posted by Silver Dagger are hillarious! I have never seen them before. Are they available on some bootleg? The GS clip really should be part of the GS movie! There is obviously so much stuff that could be released officially even without much of special treatment. Both those clips are great quallity. It is a shame that all this stuff is officailly hidden somewhere.

Date: August 21, 2009 13:56

Hi Happy - the JJF clip is one of several promos the band shot to accompany the singly. The Gimme Shelter film comes from a show called BBC Pop Go The Sixties.

Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: August 21, 2009 14:51

From East Rutherford, Let's spend the night together movie.
There are thousands of defining video moments of course. Today I go with this one.

Posted by: souldoggie ()
Date: August 21, 2009 15:54

I second or third, whatever it is, hbwriter's nomination. Bye Bye Johnny.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: August 21, 2009 15:55

hbwriter
Okay, one vote per customer - a defining moment on video that for you solidifies the fact that the Rolling Stones were, are and always will be, the best freaking band in the universe - I mean, that's why we're here, right?

my vote - the Stones doing Chuck Berry in '72 - proof positive that there is a God

the stones at there peak there nastiest bad ass kick ass in your face rock and roll as done by the glimmers .is it just me or is keef chuck berry bastard white child .NO ONE can do chuck berry as good as keef .to bad on recent tours we have been deprived of the chuck berry songs as was done on all the tours prior to 81 .

Date: August 21, 2009 17:16

Doxa--LOVE how you said it

Posted by: rootsman ()
Date: August 21, 2009 17:30

Allright Doxa!

That 1968 promo video of Jumpin´ Jack Flash is absolutely superb!!

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: August 21, 2009 23:39

Silver Dagger
I agree that JJF is absolutely incredible - it's psychedelic, it's rock, it's punk - it's everything great about rock'n'roll.

This one also does it for me. It's the Stones in all their creeping, menacing psychedelic glory. And boy, don't they just mean it. The lyrics are transcendental - yup, they're probably inspired by Vietnam but haven't we all felt that storm a-threatenin'. Everybody has those Gimme Shelter moments and that's why this song is so timeless and affecting.
Keith's riff feels like it was cooked in a Voodoo stew and left out to simmer while the wind was howling down a night filled with fire and brimstone.

Take a careful look at this clip and tell me if you reckon the cameraman or director got Bill mixed up with Keith (maybe because Bill, not Keith, is standing "Keith-side" )? Of course Mick gets the lion's share of the camera's attention, but Bill seems to get the "lead-guitarist's share" and everyone else gets a bit of what's left. Fantastic performance though, and I love Charlie in this clip - eyes shut, absolutely lost in concentration.

However, for the answer to this thread, I'll go with Doxa's JJF clip, which I haven't seen before - when & where was this?

Posted by: Svartmer ()
Date: August 21, 2009 23:55

JJF in Bremen. Splendid. Doesn´t get better than that.

Posted by: Tricky76 ()
Date: August 22, 2009 00:06

It gets way better....

Enough said.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-08-22 00:17 by Tricky76.

Date: August 22, 2009 00:16

Green Lady
Silver Dagger

Take a careful look at this clip and tell me if you reckon the cameraman or director got Bill mixed up with Keith (maybe because Bill, not Keith, is standing "Keith-side" )? Of course Mick gets the lion's share of the camera's attention, but Bill seems to get the "lead-guitarist's share" and everyone else gets a bit of what's left. Fantastic performance though, and I love Charlie in this clip - eyes shut, absolutely lost in concentration.

However, for the answer to this thread, I'll go with Doxa's JJF clip, which I haven't seen before - when & where was this?

Agree. Bill gets a disproportionate amount of viewing time. Always nice to see Bill but how can you not give Keith is dues on one of his best ever riffs.

Posted by: JK ()
Date: August 22, 2009 00:18

A lot of classics posted here.
This one always works:

Posted by: glencar ()
Date: August 22, 2009 00:22

Erik_Snow
I think the JJF promo posted by Doxa is the very finest one
[edit: there's actually an even better promo - in colours, but not the "standard one"....officially released on those "singles collection"-sets]
Bye Bye Johnny of 72 gets a high ranking tho'
I have all those singles collections & will be playing them tonight!

Posted by: saulsurvivor ()
Date: August 22, 2009 03:32

That Bremen, '98, is absolutely filthy.

Date: August 22, 2009 03:56

That Bremen clip is outrageous. Insane! I got a stomach ache watching it. Some bad rock'n roll. They start waving that Union Jack in Keith's face and he's like pounding his chest, LOL. Jagger is great. He stays at the mike whole first part; I love that. Even DJ was getting in on it. Bernard, Lisa..

Date: August 22, 2009 04:23

that happy clip has audio that doesn't match--watch/listen around :36-:37

Posted by: pmk251 ()
Date: August 22, 2009 05:45

BBJ started out in Vancouver with Taylor on lead. Then the song became a guitar extravaganza with Taylor and Richards bouncing the rhythm parts back and forth between leads. Charlotte and the MSG birthday show are terrific as well. That song signals the race to the end. Afterward I felt run over by a Mack truck. Whew! Those guitars!

Posted by: JMoisica ()
Date: August 22, 2009 10:19

Cool topic. Too hard to choose one, so I'll give my one vote and then an honorary mention. Vote goes to GS from Paradiso. Shows why they will always be the best. They outdo themselves--and every other rock act for that matter--here...

Honorary mention: Fort Worth '78. along with the studio recording of 'Down the Road Apiece' this is THE definition of rock and roll:

Who else could pull this stuff off?

Posted by: glencar ()
Date: August 22, 2009 17:58

38 seconds in is the famous Jagdance!

Posted by: bassplayer617 ()
Date: August 23, 2009 01:07

This one:

Posted by: bassplayer617 ()
Date: August 23, 2009 01:14

"Midnight Rambler" 2006 Part II:

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: August 23, 2009 03:11

........just a rehersal....but perhaps one of the greatest moments caught on video of the creative genius that was the glimmers........a great bromance for sure.........hats off to the rest of them too..

Date: August 23, 2009 04:12

Rip - this is my runner up - an amazing piece - watching the '72 form before your eyes (even though this was not in the set)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-08-23 04:12 by hbwriter.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1850
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home