Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Censored "Star Star" on original LP question....
Posted by: R ()
Date: August 20, 2009 20:23

...Man, I thought I was pretty knowledgeable in all things Rolling Stones having followed them for 40+ years and visited this site daily for nigh on a decade but, lo-and-and-behold, I was fooling myself. Pardon me if this has been addressed but....

Yesterday I was listening to the new UMG version of Jump Back which is the only 'remaster' I have purchased as I'm happy with the Virgin versions. Anyway, I remember people here saying that Goats Head Soup was the most improved of all the UMG remasters thus far and, sure enough, "Angie" on the collection sounds much brighter and stronger, the guitars seemingly more prevalent. This led to my listening to the Virgin version of GHS which in turn got me wondering how IT compared to the original Rolling Stones Records (Atlantic) pressing from the early '70s. SO I got out the LP copy of GHS I've owned since 1973 and, between the pops and scratches, realized the Virgin remaster was a huge improvement. WHAT I DID NOT REALIZE however, was that Star Star on the original LP pressing had been censored by, apparently, cutting the offending "Better keep you p-ss- clean" line and turning it upside down and backwards on the tape so that it comes out as jibberish. I always recalled the line being fuzzed over and buried in the mix but this was something very different. This leads me to wonder:

1. Were all versions of the original LP censored or is mine unusual?

2. Is the obvious tape flip how all said versions were censored or did they fuzz and bury the line on some as I recall?

3. Is the tape flip how the new UMG version is censored?

Thank you for your patience. I look forward to constructive replies and discussion.

Re: Censored "Star Star" on original LP question....
Posted by: Four Stone Walls ()
Date: August 20, 2009 23:56

I'm pretty sure that my original (or second issue) UK vinyl copy has the line clear intact.
I'll check it when I become reacquinted with it next week.

In which country did you buy your original copy?

Posted by: midnrambler ()
Date: August 21, 2009 00:58

Only the US album was censored, not the European ones.

Posted by: electricmud ()
Date: August 21, 2009 01:09

Again: only the original US-albums had the censored version. The line "better keep your pussy clean " is doubled with "thats what I call obscene". You can clearly hear both lines with headphones. The europians and I think all other countries had the normal uncensored version. The US-version was just a gimmick that you wanted to have in your collection.

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: August 21, 2009 01:17

I worked in a record shop (in the UK) at the time and the first batch of GHS that we received were the American pressings with the censored Star Star.
I grabbed the first one out of the box but was so annoyed when I heard it that I swapped it the following week when the uncensored UK pressings came in.
I wish I'd kept both!
So it was available (briefly) in the UK at least.

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2009-08-21 01:21 by Deltics.

Posted by: HEILOOBAAS ()
Date: August 21, 2009 01:42

In the GHS song book the title of the song is "Star Star" & the chorus is "Starbucker".

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: August 21, 2009 03:10

I think it's "bet it keeps your pus*y clean"

It was censored on the US 8-track a million years ago. Finally got the uncensored version when I bought the CD in the 90's. I'm in USA.

Posted by: R ()
Date: August 21, 2009 16:45

Four Stone Walls
I'm pretty sure that my original (or second issue) UK vinyl copy has the line clear intact.
I'll check it when I become reacquinted with it next week.

In which country did you buy your original copy?

The USA. Honestly, it was so beat up I hadn't played in decades and back when I did I didn't have the quality of equipment I have now. Hearing the censored version was quite a jolt.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2088
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home