Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 3 of 7
Re: Mick says next tour will be worldwide.
Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: May 19, 2010 15:51

I do wonder what the success will be of another tour. Honestly, I do. Their relevance fades exponentially with each passing year, and they are not garnering new fans the way a lot of other "older" acts are. They have priced themselves out of the market of younger fans, and even a lot of the fans from 1989-present too I think. I know I will not be shelling out $500 again to hear the same ol', same ol'. No matter how much I love them or want to see them, it's just not going to happen. They'd need to bring back Mick Taylor before I'd consider those prices again, and since each tour the ticket prices only go up, you can all but guarantee that a single ticket will be closer to $400 next tour.....

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: May 19, 2010 16:32

It really comes down to two things for a lot of diehards - insanely high priced tickets and the performance delivered for that price.

They could do a Hot Rocks show - not a bad song in the bunch right? - but if there are, let's say, some elements of the band that are not up to the par of the pricing to see them, well, that's where a lot of the disappointment is I think, hence some of the remarks made here. Nothing wrong with any of it really. It's obvious the idea of being disappointed is disappointing. And based on the last few legs of the Bang tour, well, you're only as good as your last note so...

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: May 19, 2010 16:33

melillo
71Tele
deuce
melillo
71Tele
colonial
Thats the sort of thing I like to hear. smoking smiley

Not me. More decline and degradation musically. More high ticket prices. More warhorses. More Ron Wood. Count me out if this is the plan.

dude can u please give ron wood a break, he has been there for 35 years now i think it is safe to say he has the gig

He didn't deny that he has the gig. That was one of his reason's for not wanting to go.

Thank you.

then isnt it silly of you to be a stones fan? lol

In a word, no.

Posted by: urbanjungle90 ()
Date: May 19, 2010 16:49

As someone who hasn't seen the band, this is great news.

Posted by: OneHit ()
Date: May 19, 2010 16:52

urbanjungle90
As someone who hasn't seen the band, this is great news.

This. Great to know there's others out there.

Posted by: scaffer ()
Date: May 19, 2010 17:11

urbanjungle90:

Go - I bet you won't be disappointed. It's a tremendous event. The last tour they turned Keith and Ronnie way up and they sounded great. The Stones always do at least a couple of new things each tour, plus the war horses generally sound awesome live and get a huge reception from the crowd.

I've seen the Stones in every decade since (and including) the 1960's - ignore the naysayers, the show will be fabulous.

Posted by: chrismusic ()
Date: May 19, 2010 17:23

I just hope that when they tour they play great versions of the songs they choose. I have not been a fan of Tumbling Dice for years...& was dissapointed in the "recent" live Loving Cup versions. Would be nice to hear Mick play it on a grand piano ..as oppossed to Chuck (no offense) on a keyboard.

Posted by: orson ()
Date: May 19, 2010 17:25

They will not only play in big football stadiums, they never did a tour only playing in big stadiums, they always played also in cool places like Madison Square Garden, and they will do that on the next tour againand it will be great!!
I´m ready for the tour!

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: May 19, 2010 17:27

Father Ted
"Larry King: When do you tour again?

Mick Jagger: I don't know yet, but I look forward to doing it."

There you have it - there is no tour planned but MJ enjoys touring. Given that many fans here have come to resent the Stones, why worry whether they will or will not tour as you obviously won't be going to see them anyway?

As for me they may tour as much as they want and even let their techs play guitar and do other things (whatever that may be) instead on stage. We're supposed to live in a free world and nobody is forced to go to see or hear them. So that's not the issue here. The issue is: are they still musically interesting to hear in whatever environment they play. My answer is: no way in stadiums, and in other places only if the guitar section is capable. With Ron and Keith it's obviously not. So bringing in Taylor and Wyman would be a means to make them musically attractive to me. But I don't see Taylor come back, let alone Wyman. But who knows? In the world of the Stones everything seems possible. So I wouldn't exclude that scenario.

Posted by: pgarof ()
Date: May 19, 2010 17:30

I just can't believe what some of you are saying, we are on this forum just waiting for them to anounce a tour and as soon as they hint about going out on tour there are moans and groans. for Gods sake, what do you want?

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: May 19, 2010 17:32

Father Ted
"Larry King: When do you tour again?

Mick Jagger: I don't know yet, but I look forward to doing it."

There you have it - there is no tour planned but MJ enjoys touring. Given that many fans here have come to resent the Stones, why worry whether they will or will not tour as you obviously won't be going to see them anyway?
It was a standard response to a standard question and absolutely nothing should be read into it.

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: May 19, 2010 17:39

It is perfectly legitimate to discuss whether they still have the goods musically. Those who only go for the spectacle won't be disappointed, as Stones tours always provide that. Those who go hoping to hear their favorite band play with any semblance of their former power may be disappointed (again, if you saw the last tour). Those who don't care how many original members are left, who is actually playing the guitars, what songs are chosen, will get a good "show" - nothing wrong with that. But the comments some here make about anyone who says anything critical about the tours are childish at best. I will say it again: Part of being a "fan" is applying some degree of critical judgment and objectivity. To surrender your critical faculties and just take whatever product is dished out, regardless of the quality, is just being a cheerleader and blind follower. One can be critical of the performances of the band and still be a fan. Some don't seem to understand that. The Stones have set very high musical standards (the phrase "Greatest Rock & Roll Band In The World" comes to mind). One shouldn't get upset at people who compare the current product to those same standards.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-05-19 17:42 by 71Tele.

Date: May 19, 2010 17:45

Yes, I would love to see the Stones tour again. Stadiums are fine and I know the boys will throw in a few gems mixed among the warhorses. I am not the least bit concerned about Ronnie or Keith's ability to play great music and put on a good show. If they tour it will be great and thousands of concert goers will walk away happy and satisfied after the shows. It's not 1967, '69 or '72 or even '81 anymore. It is what it is and in spite of all the so called "hardcore fans" bitching about how they won't go to any of the shows I know many of them will show up anyway.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-05-19 17:47 by its good to be anywhere.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: May 19, 2010 17:47

Pgarof, based on how the Bang tour ended (as well as the DVD set and Shine A Light offering fantastic reminders of some of the moments that make a lot of people cringe) it seems to quite a lot of people that they should stop. And some are saying that they shouldn't do another tour. Everybody pretty much knows what they're most likely going to do so there's an element of disappointment.

Which is perfectly normal I'd think. When I go to see other bands I like (that I can actually go see) half the time I'm not exactly thrilled because they play the same songs year after year. Of course it's a certain group of songs that make bands as well known as they are but some of the songs could be set aside for some other songs. So the Stones have a HUGE chunk of that element. And when you combine that with how they performed on the Bang tour, well, it certainly doesn't thrill many people - they've just come to admit that perhaps it is time they stop.

And obviously it's becoming more and more about the vaults - and why not? It's the only thing left that is of any interest. A new album will mean nothing except it's just another album by the Stones imitating themselves. And hopefuly they won't release ANOTHER hits comp. They've already got 300 of the damn things. It's simply time for the Stones to reflect on their legacy with unreleased tracks to warrant any kind of a release or genuine interest.

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: May 19, 2010 17:55

71Tele
It is perfectly legitimate to discuss whether they still have the goods musically. Those who only go for the spectacle won't be disappointed, as Stones tours always provide that. Those who go hoping to hear their favorite band play with any semblance of their former power may be disappointed (again, if you saw the last tour). Those who don't care how many original members are left, who is actually playing the guitars, what songs are chosen, will get a good "show" - nothing wrong with that. But the comments some here make about anyone who says anything critical about the tours are childish at best. I will say it again: Part of being a "fan" is applying some degree of critical judgment and objectivity. To surrender your critical faculties and just take whatever product is dished out, regardless of the quality, is just being a cheerleader and blind follower. One can be critical of the performances of the band and still be a fan. Some don't seem to understand that. The Stones have set very high musical standards (the phrase "Greatest Rock & Roll Band In The World" comes to mind). One shouldn't get upset at people who compare the current product to those same standards.

The constructed argumentative line just those blessed with practical musical
knowledge and abilities are the few who are able and entiteled to judge about
quality and the forced contradiction the poor rest is just enjoying "the spectacle" sucks once more.

Who´s expecting them to come at least close to their "former power" is "childish at best".

Criticism is one thing,but when crticism is just a vehicle to bash at every offered possibility ,it´s ridiculous,to say it mildly.

Polemic ? Of course...but that´s just the reply to yours.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: May 19, 2010 18:00

i love mick taylor's guitar work ,his wonderfull VIBRATO ,and his out of the world tone ,but he resigned at the end of 1974 .ditto for bill wyman when he resigned after the steel wheels/urban jungle tour89/90.

Posted by: ablett ()
Date: May 19, 2010 18:01

"Go - I bet you won't be disappointed. It's a tremendous event. The last tour they turned Keith and Ronnie way up and they sounded great. The Stones always do at least a couple of new things each tour, plus the war horses generally sound awesome live and get a huge reception from the crowd.

I've seen the Stones in every decade since (and including) the 1960's - ignore the naysayers, the show will be fabulous."

Great reply. The last tour was great, the Twicks show I saw was superb, whatever anyones says.

Yeah later shows weren't great but IMO Keith came back too soon after the fall. Before that ABB was a great tour.

I reckon that a Stones tour would be abit like the last Tina Turner tour. The band will be hitting nearly 70!! Let them have their fun and I bet ur ass many saying they won't go on here will....

Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: May 19, 2010 18:06

pgarof
I just can't believe what some of you are saying, we are on this forum just waiting for them to anounce a tour and as soon as they hint about going out on tour there are moans and groans. for Gods sake, what do you want?

I guess just on a forum like this one you'll find people who are not thrilled by the idea
of another stadium tour. Not because we have "knowledge" to judge what is good or not
so good music, but because there are many here who have seen the band in all its glory.
I guess a lot of us want to cherrish these good memories.

But in the end, we all have to decide for ourselves to go or not to go. There is no need
to judge each others decision.

Posted by: lualua ()
Date: May 19, 2010 18:13

I'll go without hesitation, but something about this picture rings a bit true.

Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: May 19, 2010 18:35

bassplayer617
So, the Stones will do another massive world tour, and some of you are not excited? Excuse me for saying, but perhaps YOU folks should retire. Believe it or not, the so-called "hardcore" fans are a very small percentage of the concert audience. Get over yourselves! Just stay home and listen to your precious bootlegs, alright? I love this forum but some of you take it all much too seriously.

With respect bassplayer, isn't it you that is taking the comments here too seriously? It doesn't matter to me if they tour or not as I won't be going, one too many subpar shows I'm afraid, but if they do then I hope those who do go have a blast. No need to disparage those who can't see paying hundreds of dollars to see a band that is propped up by a core of backing musicians because their principal instrumentalists can no longer play well.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-05-19 18:41 by ChrisM.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: May 19, 2010 18:35

71Tele

bingo. it's the difference between being an informed fan vs. a band cheerleader.

Date: May 19, 2010 18:36

The Greek
i love mick taylor's guitar work ,his wonderfull VIBRATO ,and his out of the world tone ,but he resigned at the end of 1974 .ditto for bill wyman when he resigned after the steel wheels/urban jungle tour89/90.

thanks for the news update, TG. is brian still playing with them?

Date: May 19, 2010 18:41

StonesTod
71Tele

bingo. it's the difference between being an informed fan vs. a band cheerleader.
Well said 71Tele and Tod for leading the cheer, er, agreeing with him. My sentiments exactly...

Date: May 19, 2010 18:46

not that there's anything wrong with being a cheerleader...as long as the pom-poms don't whack others in the face....

Posted by: Addicted ()
Date: May 19, 2010 18:51

Ah, we're NOT easy to please - are we?
Some people have already stated they're NOT going to see the Stones on a new tour. For reasons like: Too expensive! To many other people in the concert crowd! Too many old songs! To few not so famous songs! Not my favourite guitarist! Brian's dead! And so on.
I really have difficulties taking this seriously. What an awful cocktail of spoilt, whining brats and grumpy old folks!
If they go on tour - WHEN they go on tour that is - I'll show up, scream my lungs out and have a great time. In the mean time, I'll just play more of that wonderfully remastered EOMS and the "new" tracks - funny little gems - and look forward to the movie.
OK, whiners - exactly what does it take to make you guys happy? I'm pretty sure it's not related to the Stones.

Posted by: Happy24 ()
Date: May 19, 2010 18:54

Good post Addicted

Date: May 19, 2010 18:56

Addicted
Ah, we're NOT easy to please - are we?
Some people have already stated they're NOT going to see the Stones on a new tour. For reasons like: Too expensive! To many other people in the concert crowd! Too many old songs! To few not so famous songs! Not my favourite guitarist! Brian's dead! And so on.
I really have difficulties taking this seriously. What an awful cocktail of spoilt, whining brats and grumpy old folks!
If they go on tour - WHEN they go on tour that is - I'll show up, scream my lungs out and have a great time. In the mean time, I'll just play more of that wonderfully remastered EOMS and the "new" tracks - funny little gems - and look forward to the movie.
OK, whiners - exactly what does it take to make you guys happy? I'm pretty sure it's not related to the Stones.

10 million dollars; but, then i've always been pretty easy to please.

Posted by: Addicted ()
Date: May 19, 2010 19:00

Can't help you with that kind of money, sir. And if you're unhappy without those 10 million, my bet is you'd have been unhappy even if you had them.

Date: May 19, 2010 19:03

Addicted
Can't help you with that kind of money, sir. And if you're unhappy without those 10 million, my bet is you'd have been unhappy even if you had them.

they say money can't buy happiness, but i need to find out first-hand. yes, it's clear from my disappointment in my favorite band that i'm a miserable old sot. everybody knows that....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-05-19 19:04 by StonesTod.

Date: May 19, 2010 19:03

Addicted, as 71Tele eloquently stated, being a Stones fan doesn't necessarily entail loving everything they do. One can be critically objective without being a "whiner"' or "naysayer." There is plenty I love about the Rolling Stones and some things I don't. It is overly simplistic to refer to someone in a pejorative manner who does not see something as you do. If they do indeed tour and you go, I hope you have fun, but to simply dismiss those who don't agree with you as "spoilt, whining brats and grumpy old folks" is much easier to do than engage in a rational and intellectual discussion and does nothing to further any accord...

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 3 of 7

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1494
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home