Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Don Was talks Exile on NPR
Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: May 18, 2010 20:03

Didn't see a thread about this one either: Don Was talks Exile A nice long interview this.

Re: Don Was talks Exile on NPR
Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: May 18, 2010 20:12

ChrisM
Didn't see a thread about this one either: Don Was talks Exile A nice long interview this.

Tu n'as pas bien regardé ...

[www.iorr.org]

Date: May 18, 2010 20:21

SwayStones
ChrisM

[www.iorr.org]
Fransugo ga dekimasen!

Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: May 19, 2010 10:43

ChrisM
SwayStones
ChrisM

[www.iorr.org]
Fransugo ga dekimasen!

Opps !Sorry,I thought you could understand French because of your signature .
Plus tere was a man on a French Rolling Stones board that had the same signature as yours....winking smiley

I am a Frenchie ,as Mick affectionately called them in the Old Grey Whistle Test in 1977 .

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: May 19, 2010 12:22

Good interview!

Interesting that he says the So Divine vocal is a mix of old and new and no mention that they dubbed guitars on it. Hmmm.

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: May 19, 2010 12:36

Thanks for the link!

The interview is great and has given me renewed respect for Don Was. His description of the Stones' groove and how the alternate version of Loving Cup represents the "furthest frontier of how far the beat can be stretched without falling apart" is spot on. "It's funky and low down and everything rock 'n' roll ought to be". Indeed!

The interviews with Mick and Keith were pretty cool too. That female radio host was very professional and laid back and seemed very educated on the Stones and music. Two thumbs up!

Posted by: Greg ()
Date: May 19, 2010 14:17

What a great, great interview. Loved the analogy of the champagne glass vs the lake for the Stones rhythmic approach.

I listened to So Divine with different ears and am convinced the choruses are sung by the younger Mick; they even have a sixties sound to them.

----------------------------
"Music is the frozen tapioca in the ice chest of history."

"Shit!... No shit, awright!"

Posted by: RobberBride ()
Date: May 19, 2010 14:26

His Majesty
Good interview!

Interesting that he says the So Divine vocal is a mix of old and new and no mention that they dubbed guitars on it. Hmmm.

Yeah, and do we know which lines are new and old - except Gregs recent input? Seems to me that its rather fortunately that Don Was can´t remember which is what. As one who works with sound myself I know VERY WELL which lines are dubbed and not (in my films).

Really liked the interview. As most of you has stated, (a renewed) respect is due for this guy.

About the warehouse - as noted by Father Ted in another thread - is it possible that both Was and the "Stones in Exile" director has visited it? The "Raiders.." comparison surely must be a joke, but if the warehouse is as big as Was claims, somebody must work there and have really good sense of the archive. At least if Was was given a long list from Keith/Mick of possible tracks and then given a HARDDRIVE with the mulittracks on.

Posted by: Greg ()
Date: May 19, 2010 14:32

RobberBride
His Majesty
Good interview!

Yeah, and do we know which lines are new and old - except Gregs recent input?.

Your ears will know and tell you, just listen. It's the (new) opening verses that put you on the wrong foot by making you assume all vocals are new..

----------------------------
"Music is the frozen tapioca in the ice chest of history."

"Shit!... No shit, awright!"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-05-19 14:36 by Greg.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: May 19, 2010 15:54

Interesting comment I thought was that he didn't think the new remaster was such a big improvement soundwise.

Posted by: tumblingdice ()
Date: May 19, 2010 16:13

I find it amusing that for all the complaints about Jagger's vocals being made by some, there is still a debate on what is old or new on some songs! lol
Old or new, it's Jagger. Mick Jagger!!! And it is good.......

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: May 19, 2010 16:38

Koen
Interesting comment I thought was that he didn't think the new remaster was such a big improvement soundwise.

Yeah, it gave me the impression that the Virgin remaster was very faithfully done, with a "virgin" original vinyl (no pun intended) as the blueprint. According to Was, the new Universal remaster has "maybe a little more top end". It will be interesting to compare once, but I'm only buying the new Exile for the second disc.

I sincerely hope that any future archive releases will be standalone discs and not just bonus tracks on the 28th remaster of well known albums.

Posted by: RobberBride ()
Date: May 19, 2010 19:06

tumblingdice
Old or new, it's Jagger. And it is good.......

+1 smiling smiley

Date: May 19, 2010 19:18

SwayStones
ChrisM
SwayStones
ChrisM

[www.iorr.org]
Fransugo ga dekimasen!

Opps !Sorry,I thought you could understand French because of your signature .
Plus tere was a man on a French Rolling Stones board that had the same signature as yours....winking smiley
I speak some though it has been awhile. My father taught French literature at University. My primary linguistic focus is on Japanese these days...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1729
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home