Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Mick Taylor at New Morning Paris in July
Posted by: albop ()
Date: May 14, 2009 13:45

Mick Taylor will play at New Morning, Paris, on July 2nd

[www.infoconcert.com]

Re: Mick Taylor at New Morning Paris in July
Posted by: dcba ()
Date: May 14, 2009 17:10

He'd better add a 2nd show since it takes him two gigs to deliver a good performance in Paris (early 90's 1992? mid90's 1996?)

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: May 14, 2009 17:13

Boy France in the beginning of July and the US at the end of the month.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: May 15, 2009 15:27

dcba
He'd better add a 2nd show since it takes him two gigs to deliver a good performance in Paris (early 90's 1992? mid90's 1996?)

Not to mention the Rolling Stones without him.tongue sticking out smiley

Posted by: leteyer ()
Date: May 28, 2009 18:37

Tickets on sale right now.

Posted by: honkytonkwomen ()
Date: June 6, 2009 20:50

This show will be filmed.

Posted by: phd ()
Date: June 6, 2009 21:04

Great info. Thanks.

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: June 7, 2009 00:26

dcba

Takes Stones 10 shows to deliver a good show - remember Stones in Europe in 2007 - Belgium was a complete mess

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: June 7, 2009 11:21

What I meant by this is : in the middle of a Euro tour, that is with an oiled and well-rehearsed band, he lands in Paris and plays an AWFUL show.

Of course he makes up for it during the following gig/night with a great performance but I still wonder: why so little reliability. Exhaustment? Booze? A "Dylan 1991" syndrome aka "you piss me off you paying audience"? ;-)

Posted by: Lightnin' ()
Date: July 2, 2009 20:46

dcba
What I meant by this is : in the middle of a Euro tour, that is with an oiled and well-rehearsed band, he lands in Paris and plays an AWFUL show.

Of course he makes up for it during the following gig/night with a great performance but I still wonder: why so little reliability. Exhaustment? Booze? A "Dylan 1991" syndrome aka "you piss me off you paying audience"? ;-)

Like Dylan said most dryly: "Never two nights in a row..."
He's playing the New Morning, Paris tonight. If any boardmembers are going to attend, let us know how it was.

Posted by: Smokey ()
Date: July 3, 2009 08:57

honkytonkwomen

Might you be able to share it? winking smiley

Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: July 3, 2009 10:20

Someone I know went to see Mick Taylor yesterday at the New Morning ;he e-mailed me just when he came back home early in the morning :

"I just come back from Paris. Very very beautiful evening with Mick Taylor in a sold-out New Morning .Sad to see him drunk and confused in his words.But when he plays his guitar,it's magic again .He ended with Can't you hear me knockin' et No expectations."

I am a Frenchie ,as Mick affectionately called them in the Old Grey Whistle Test in 1977 .

Date: July 3, 2009 12:35

SwayStones
Someone I know went to see Mick Taylor yesterday at the New Morning ;he e-mailed me just when he came back home early in the morning :

"I just come back from Paris. Very very beautiful evening with Mick Taylor in a sold-out New Morning. Sad to see him drunk and confused in his words. But when he plays his guitar, it's magic again. He ended with Can't you hear me knockin' et No expectations."

A friend of mine was there as well and said he played well. He's been a fan for many years, Mick knows him. He spoke to Mick afterwards and said he was totally normal and clear headed but was in quite a lot of pain due to back problems. He also reported MT doesn't drink alcohol anymore.

Posted by: leteyer ()
Date: July 3, 2009 12:40

Yes he seemed to be drunk but he was really funny, he told lots of jokes (many didn't seem to get) and I think he played great. Loved Twisted Sister.

The place was toooo hot, horrible and a nice opening act that I would have appreciate any other day but not last night, just wanted the guy to get the hell out and let Mick start palying. Too hot.

Date: July 3, 2009 12:46

Lightnin'
SwayStones

"I just come back from Paris. Very very beautiful evening with Mick Taylor in a sold-out New Morning. Sad to see him drunk and confused in his words. But when he plays his guitar, it's magic again. He ended with Can't you hear me knockin' et No expectations."

A friend of mine was there as well and said he played well. He's been a fan for many years, Mick knows him. He spoke to Mick afterwards and said he was totally normal and clear headed but was in quite a lot of pain due to back problems. He also reported MT doesn't drink alcohol anymore.

Medecine for back problems can indeed make you look confused.I had unfortunately to take Oxycontin some years ago and I know which kind of effects it has..
So I will give your information if you don't mind to the man I was talking about.

I am a Frenchie ,as Mick affectionately called them in the Old Grey Whistle Test in 1977 .

Date: July 3, 2009 14:03

SwayStones
Medecine for back problems can indeed make you look confused.I had unfortunately to take Oxycontin some years ago and I know which kind of effects it has..
So I will give your information if you don't mind to the man I was talking about.

You would not believe how many times I returned from Taylor's gigs to see internet rumours saying "Taylor was drunk" when he had not had a drop of alcohol. So I just wanted to make clear that what people think they see is not always what is actually going on. I think people should be careful to make negative statements when they don't even know exactly what they're talking about. That's all I wanted to get across.

Date: July 3, 2009 15:13

I think people should be careful to make negative statements

I do agree with you although it's difficult to know what's false or not just by reading what became the faster information media :internet.
As people (I am talking also about myself ) want to know as quickly as possible what happened ,where and how it happened ,rumors and negative statements are unfortunately inescapable.

Lightnin'

You would not believe how many times I returned from Taylor's gigs to see internet rumours saying "Taylor was drunk" when he had not had a drop of alcohol.

Like these ones ?
[rockerparis.blogspot.com]

He left the stage after 1H40 Min and came to sign a few cds to fans without forgetting to get a drink at the bar first.

This doesn't sound very nice indeed because the glass is full of water and ice .It can't be a full glass of vodka or gin .

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: July 3, 2009 20:17

Must say that he looks fine in the video. Also, some beautiful fresh ideas in the KYHMK solo.

I have a couple of questions for those of you who are more into his solo career.

One, why doesn't he use is feet to operate his pedal effects?

Two, when did he quit his wonderful vibrato? He still has it, esp. with the slide. But I noticed that it is not so prominent any more. In particular I miss the beautiful vibrato on the bended note, usually palyed with the ring finger, I don't know if you understand what I mean.

Heavier gauge, maybe?

C

Date: July 4, 2009 16:01

liddas
Must say that he looks fine in the video. Also, some beautiful fresh ideas in the KYHMK solo.

I have a couple of questions for those of you who are more into his solo career.

Two, when did he quit his wonderful vibrato? He still has it, esp. with the slide. But I noticed that it is not so prominent any more. In particular I miss the beautiful vibrato on the bended note, usually palyed with the ring finger, I don't know if you understand what I mean.

Heavier gauge, maybe?

C

The interesting thing about MT is that he hardly ever plays the solo parts in the same way. He always creates a composition within the composition, so to speak.

Regarding the effect pedals: He does use his feet to operate them (switching on and off) but when he sees the need to adjust the settings on the pedals he will sometimes kneel down. And that is because turning the controls with your feet is pretty hard (I have yet to meet a guitar God that can pull that one off).
The CYHMK video posted is the last song from the set at a venue where it has been boiling hot from the get-go. At the end of the show, tiredness is clearly affecting his playing. Not surprising because being a frontman and playing a Les Paul with 0.52 E string for more than 90 minutes takes A LOT of energy.
He stays in kneeled down position for a while, because 1) he's wiped out 2) he is having very bad back pains (he spoke to a friend of mine afterwards about this).

The vibrato: some gigs it's more prominent than others. I think he makes it a bit hard for himself by using the heaviest strings available. Playing a show becomes a matter of physical strength and endurance this way. And although Taylor has always been a pretty tough guy (esp his arms and hands are remarkably strong), it's not easy to do for anyone over 60.

I've had discussions with him on this topic and he believes the heavy gauge strings are essential to "his sound", much in the same way as turning the volume on his amp to 11. He's also stated that guitarplayers that use medium or light picks will never be any good (to his ears anyway). In my opinion there are certain aspects of his playing that come across much better when he puts on lighter strings. Not only the vibrato but also the faster solo parts. For instance I was once at a gig where he played Bye Bye Johnny on a Strat with medium gauge strings and it was like 1973 all over again, maybe better.
The strange thing with Taylor however is that he considers Blues and slower material superior to anything else. He's quite elitist in his approach to music and almost looks down on "simple rock 'n roll" because he thinks there's nothing difficult about it. It's a bit frustrating because not many guitarists can play it the way he does, but for some reason he thinks of it as ordinary or as "selling out".

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: July 4, 2009 16:55

Lightnin'

Regarding the effect pedals: He does use his feet to operate them (switching on and off) but when he sees the need to adjust the settings on the pedals he will sometimes kneel down. And that is because turning the controls with your feet is pretty hard (I have yet to meet a guitar God that can pull that one off).

I was joking, of course, but certainly he seems to adjust these pedals very often!

Lightnin'

The vibrato: some gigs it's more prominent than others. I think he makes it a bit hard for himself by using the heaviest strings available.

I've had discussions with him on this topic and he believes the heavy gauge strings are essential to "his sound", much in the same way as turning the volume on his amp to 11. In my opinion there are certain aspects of his playing that come across much better when he puts on lighter strings. Not only the vibrato but also the faster solo parts.

I suspected that was the reason. The "heavy gauge" syndrome! Guitars with heavy strings do sound better, that's for sure, but a heavier gauge is not so essential on a LP, as opposed to a Fender, especially when the sound is distorted. At least, this is my very personal opinion.

And in any case, what's the need of torturing him self with super heavy strings for the sake of a great tone, when he then kills everything with Boss pedals (I'm not a fan) and lousy PA's systems (at least, this was the case where I saw him last!)

Next time you talk to Mick, tell him not to be stupid and give us back his vibrato!!!

C

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-07-04 16:55 by liddas.

Date: July 4, 2009 20:48

Lightnin'
liddas

Heavier gauge, maybe?

C

The interesting thing about MT is that he hardly ever plays the solo parts in the same way. He always creates a composition within the composition, so to speak.

The CYHMK video posted is the last song from the set at a venue where it has been boiling hot from the get-go. At the end of the show, tiredness is clearly affecting his playing. Not surprising because being a frontman and playing a Les Paul with 0.52 E string for more than 90 minutes takes A LOT of energy.
He stays in kneeled down position for a while, because 1) he's wiped out 2) he is having very bad back pains (he spoke to a friend of mine afterwards about this).

The vibrato: some gigs it's more prominent than others. I think he makes it a bit hard for himself by using the heaviest strings available. Playing a show becomes a matter of physical strength and endurance this way. And although Taylor has always been a pretty tough guy (esp his arms and hands are remarkably strong), it's not easy to do for anyone over 60.

I've had discussions with him on this topic and he believes the heavy gauge strings are essential to "his sound", much in the same way as turning the volume on his amp to 11. He's also stated that guitarplayers that use medium or light picks will never be any good (to his ears anyway). In my opinion there are certain aspects of his playing that come across much better when he puts on lighter strings. Not only the vibrato but also the faster solo parts. For instance I was once at a gig where he played Bye Bye Johnny on a Strat with medium gauge strings and it was like 1973 all over again, maybe better.
The strange thing with Taylor however is that he considers Blues and slower material superior to anything else. He's quite elitist in his approach to music and almost looks down on "simple rock 'n roll" because he thinks there's nothing difficult about it. It's a bit frustrating because not many guitarists can play it the way he does, but for some reason he thinks of it as ordinary or as "selling out".

Interesting comment,I 've learned from it about Taylor playing .

Posted by: Smokey ()
Date: July 5, 2009 10:52

Lightnin'
Not surprising because being a frontman and playing a Les Paul with 0.52 E string for more than 90 minutes takes A LOT of energy.

I've had discussions with him on this topic and he believes the heavy gauge strings are essential to "his sound", much in the same way as turning the volume on his amp to 11. He's also stated that guitarplayers that use medium or light picks will never be any good (to his ears anyway).

In my opinion there are certain aspects of his playing that come across much better when he puts on lighter strings. Not only the vibrato but also the faster solo parts.

Didn't he use light strings with the Bluesbreakers and Stones? It's been widely reported, presumably taken from interviews, that he used 009s then. If this were true, why does he need the fatter gauges now?

Perhaps he should consider using the feedback-laden approach that gave his sound that rich, thick, sustained tone from his Bluesbreakers days.

Lightnin'
For instance I was once at a gig where he played Bye Bye Johnny on a Strat with medium gauge strings and it was like 1973 all over again, maybe better.

'73 . . . sigh . . .

Lighnin'

I guess this explains much of his setlist for the last 15 years.

While it's great to see a show, it would be nice to hear a show other than Variations on a Theme of Shuffle. And include some of that old Bluesbreaker-era sweet, soulful feedback used expressively.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-07-05 10:52 by Smokey.

Posted by: honkytonkwomen ()
Date: July 5, 2009 14:23

Smokey
honkytonkwomen

Might you be able to share it? winking smiley

Hehe, great joke! My hands are very improper for this job - but 8 of 10 peoples in front row had a hard work winking smiley

It was a great show - in spite of the heat. It was not just horrible for the audience - the lightspots on stage don't help to get a refreshement. Respect for the band! Actually - we forget the band in all the reports, I think it's time to say that these guys everytime are playing a real good set!

Posted by: jp.M ()
Date: July 5, 2009 15:33

....show filmed for the "Mezzo" TV....

Posted by: terraplane ()
Date: July 5, 2009 16:02

Mick uses .10 - .52 gauge strings. Not the heaviest you can get actually. They are medium or more accurately light top and heavier bottom. Better sound and also more suited to slide.

Posted by: soulies ()
Date: July 7, 2009 15:21

Mick Taylor Tournée française: octobre 2009

1ere partie: Joel Dayde solo (sauf lille).

5 Rouen (Exo7), 6 Caen (Zenith), 7 Ris-Orangis (Le Plan), 8 off, 9 Vernouillet (Atelier à spectacles), 10 Nancy Jazz ,Pulsations (festival), 11 Chaulnes (centre socio-culturel), 12 Lille Jazz en Nord festival (Zenith), 13 Reims La Cartonnerie (Polen prods), 14 Joué les Tours (espace Malraux), 15 off, 16 tba, 17 Montpellier Opera (festival Les Europeennes de la guitare), 18 Rouillac (centre culturel la Palene), 19 Biarritz (Atabal CMA), 20 off, 21 Nice (Cedac de Cimiez), 22 Marseille (Espace Julien), 23 Perpignan (Le Mediator), 24 Montauban (Le Rio).

[www.definitelyprod.com]

[www.definitelyprod.com]

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: July 7, 2009 19:43

Has he made it stateside yet, or is he still in Europe? Wondering what his setlists look like....

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1702
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home