Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Question: Heartbreaker London 9/9/73
Posted by: straycat58 ()
Date: July 4, 2009 16:08

The ultra-famous version of H. on Bedspring Symphony and all the other boots, taken from London September 9, starts with Jagger saying Thank you very kindly and at the second riff, Jagger says "This is called Doo-doo-doo-doo-doo".
But in the audience recording (compare with VGP Nasty Music) the "This is called d-d-d-d" is not present and there's one riff less.

I guess this introduction has been added later.

Do you know where is taken from?

Re: Question: Heartbreaker London 9/9/73
Date: July 4, 2009 21:34

You make a good point. Is the version different otherwise? Should be easy to tell.
I know that they did not play Heartbreaker at the Brussels show. So H was always added from the Wembley Oct 9th show. Could be that the beginning bars were cut off when they spliced it in

Posted by: HEILOOBAAS ()
Date: July 5, 2009 08:36

Same in L&G. Before Happy in Ft. Worth #1 you see Mick go over to Nicky's piano and hit a key three or four times. The aud. tape of that show does NOT have the piano bars before Happy.

Date: July 5, 2009 10:09

The version is the same but the soundboard has one intro riff more which is the one with jagger presentation.

The sbd version belongs to the KBFH radio show ; here are the relevant info:

[www.rollingstonesnet.com]

but there's no mention of the intro of Heartbreaker.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-07-05 10:10 by straycat58.

Posted by: Paul Kersey ()
Date: July 5, 2009 11:23

Why was the sax removed on DDDD nd Brown Sugar?

Date: July 5, 2009 11:36

I understood the Stones wanted to use these tracks for an official Live album and couldn't make it because of contracts problems.
So, as in the case of GYYYO and L&G they intervened on the audios; they cut Midnight rambler which is 4 minutes shorter and probably added this "This is called d-d-d-d" introduction.
In the L&G they did the same by adding the sax intro in Gimme shelter, an additional guitar intro in Sweet Virginia, spliced Happy audio on the Fort Worth video.
All these differences are detectable by an accurate comparison with the original audience recordings of the Fort Worth 72, London 9/9/73 and Brussels 17/10/73.
They cut also the first riff of Dancing with Mr. D from Brussels.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: July 5, 2009 13:14

straycat58
I understood the Stones wanted to use these tracks for an official Live album and couldn't make it because of contracts problems.
So, as in the case of GYYYO and L&G they intervened on the audios; they cut Midnight rambler which is 4 minutes shorter and probably added this "This is called d-d-d-d" introduction.
In the L&G they did the same by adding the sax intro in Gimme shelter, an additional guitar intro in Sweet Virginia, spliced Happy audio on the Fort Worth video.
All these differences are detectable by an accurate comparison with the original audience recordings of the Fort Worth 72, London 9/9/73 and Brussels 17/10/73.
They cut also the first riff of Dancing with Mr. D from Brussels.

The recording of these shows were never intended for release on an album, but were used for radio broadcasting by KBFH. The edit in Midnight Rambler is done by KBFH to be able to broadcast the show within an hour. I am not sure they added the intro to heartbreaker, it is more likely the intro is missing from the audience tape. Brown Sugar from Brussels was broadcasted in '74 with the sax way low in the mix, and on the '79 bradcasts this was corrected, according to KBFH by Jagger hinmself.

As far as I understand the sax on Gimme Shelter from L&G was not added later, but actually played that way. They did the sax intro on most '72 and '73 shows.

Mathijs

Posted by: rootsman ()
Date: July 5, 2009 13:16

Thanks for your information, Mathijs!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-07-05 13:16 by rootsman.

Date: July 5, 2009 13:32

ps on what boot do you have the 9/9 show? I only have it on Welcome Back to England, VGP 033, and Heartbreaker is from the 8.9 1973 2nd show.

Mathijs

Date: July 5, 2009 13:37

I must check if the two audience sources of 9/9/73 : The bonus disc of SODD-055 and the VGP Nasty Muzik are the same or different ones.
What I know is that in both recordings, after "Thank you very much, Thank you kindly" the "This is called d-d-d-d" is missing.

Sax in Gimme shelter Fort Worth: in other words, you mean the sax is not audible in audience recording but was played as we hear in the sbd?

Date: July 5, 2009 14:58

straycat58
Sax in Gimme shelter Fort Worth: in other words, you mean the sax is not audible in audience recording but was played as we hear in the sbd?

The second show SB does not have the sax, the aud of 1st show does not have the sax, and listening to the L&G version is does sound a bit fake, so I have to conclude: the sax indeed is an overdub.

Mathijs

Date: July 5, 2009 15:21

Mathijs
straycat58
Brown Sugar from Brussels was broadcasted in '74 with the sax way low in the mix, and on the '79 bradcasts this was corrected, according to KBFH by Jagger hinmself.

Mathijs

I'm pretty sure that it was the mid-'80's re-broadcast - not '79 .

Date: July 5, 2009 21:36

Winning Ugly VXII
Mathijs
straycat58
Brown Sugar from Brussels was broadcasted in '74 with the sax way low in the mix, and on the '79 bradcasts this was corrected, according to KBFH by Jagger hinmself.

Mathijs

I'm pretty sure that it was the mid-'80's re-broadcast - not '79 .

You are darn right, it was '87.

Mathijs

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: July 6, 2009 03:54

That Jagger - THANK YOU KINDLY....HAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGG....

HILARIOUS! That must have been some FANTASTIC coke back then!

Posted by: Tumblin_Dice_07 ()
Date: July 7, 2009 22:17

straycat58
quote]

I really don't believe they spliced a different version of "Happy" over the Ft. Worth video. They just overdubbed vocals in the studio. It's the Ft. Worth version of the song, just with different vocals.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1271
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home