Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Sax Question
Posted by: Taylor Era ()
Date: June 25, 2009 19:57

On YCAGWYW on 'Brussel's Affair,' Bobby Keys plays an extended sax solo, and although I find what goes on under the solo more interesting than the actual solo itself (Keith and MT's riffing) ..I was wondering if this extended sax solo was typical of performances of that time and tour on that song. Or, are there any decent sounding versions of YCAGWYW from that tour where there is only a MT guitar solo and no sax solo? I'd like to snag such an animal if it exists.

Just wondering.

Re: Sax Question
Posted by: T&A ()
Date: June 25, 2009 20:13

not bobby - we wasn't on the tour - thats' trevor lawrence. bobby, as much as i love the guy, doesn't have the chops to play like that....

Date: June 25, 2009 20:19

not bobby - we wasn't on the tour - thats' trevor lawrence.

- - oh ya? ok, cool; I just assumed it was bobby

ya learn sumthin new everyday in Stonesland

Posted by: Voja ()
Date: June 25, 2009 20:28

It's either Trevor Lawrence or Steve Madaio playing on Brussels

Date: June 25, 2009 20:34

madaio plays the trumpet

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: June 25, 2009 20:37

T&A
not bobby - we wasn't on the tour - thats' trevor lawrence. bobby, as much as i love the guy, doesn't have the chops to play like that....
man i am doing a deja vu ,i thought i was asking that question remember ?

Date: June 25, 2009 20:45

ya ok but are there any decent recording of YCAGWYW from this tour without an extended sax solo? Or is that just the way they were playing it that time around?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-06-25 20:45 by Taylor Era.

Date: June 25, 2009 20:47

The Greek
T&A
man i am doing a deja vu ,i thought i was asking that question remember ?

we have all been here before

Date: June 25, 2009 20:48

Taylor Era
ya ok but are there any decent recording of YCAGWYW from this tour without an extended sax solo? Or is that just the way they were playing it that time around?

i'll defer to others...just going on faint memory of some of my many '73 tour recordings that i haven't heard in eons, but i believe there are versions devoid of trevor solos, yes....

Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: June 25, 2009 20:52

T&A

I am a Frenchie ,as Mick affectionately called them in the Old Grey Whistle Test in 1977 .

Date: June 25, 2009 20:57

according to the best sources i've seen (zentgraf), bobby left the tour at the end of september....so he wouldn't have been at brussels

Posted by: StonesFanatic ()
Date: June 25, 2009 21:03

Bobby was kicked off the tour due to his heroin addiction (oh, the irony) late Sept '73...

I think the sax solo is rather pathetic...it never really goes anywhere and sort of just plays the main riff melody over and over. MT and KR's guitarwork underneath is more interesting...

Date: June 25, 2009 22:54

The best part about the Sax solo is the idea of it; the very first two bars. After that he kind of blows the main riff over and over, albeit nice and clean.
But - most of the renditions of that song are only Taylor on the solo. A while back someone told me the pattern of the Sax solo. It only happened when...(not often though)

Date: June 26, 2009 12:04

I just spoke on the phone with a friend of mine who was on the Brussel show in 1973(lucky man ! )
He confirmed that Bobby Keys played that night.The song was played for almost 10 minutes with,he said ,a Bobby Keys solo .And a long Taylor guitar solo too.

I am a Frenchie ,as Mick affectionately called them in the Old Grey Whistle Test in 1977 .

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-06-26 12:13 by SwayStones.

Date: June 26, 2009 12:57

Bobby plays more diverse solos, imo. Doesn't sound like him, doesn't sound like his tone either. But if your friend says so...

Posted by: StonesFanatic ()
Date: June 26, 2009 14:10

But it's *not* Keyes...he was sacked in late Sept '73!!

Date: June 26, 2009 14:59

T&A
according to the best sources i've seen (zentgraf), bobby left the tour at the end of september....so he wouldn't have been at brussels
zengraf is for sure one of the best source..but he says probably only until September 28) .

I know it was a long time ago -36 years- but I can assure you my friend is not senile yet.
But he was at the belgium show ( 9pm one )

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: June 26, 2009 15:11

It's still unclear if Keys played on the last shows, but pictures from Brussels and Berlin only show Trevor Lawrence or Steve Madaio in front of Wyman. Also the footage of the Brussels show from the French TV does not show Keys playing if I recall correctly.

Also on this tour, some shows (Rotterdam for example) featured an additional percussion player who still is not identified.

Mathijs

Posted by: albop ()
Date: June 26, 2009 15:56

DandelionPowderman
Bobby plays more diverse solos, imo. Doesn't sound like him, doesn't sound like his tone either. quote]

I agree. I'm sax player and I think that the solo doesn't sound like a Bobby's solo. Also, I think that the sax player is not very right by moment.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-06-26 16:12 by albop.

Date: June 26, 2009 17:06

there's not a chance that it's bobby playing that solo on the brussels recording....that's trevor, without a doubt.

Posted by: slasausjes ()
Date: June 26, 2009 17:13

Mathijs
It's still unclear if Keys played on the last shows, but pictures from Brussels and Berlin only show Trevor Lawrence or Steve Madaio in front of Wyman. Also the footage of the Brussels show from the French TV does not show Keys playing if I recall correctly.

Also on this tour, some shows (Rotterdam for example) featured an additional percussion player who still is not identified.

Mathijs

You've got a pic of the man?

Date: June 26, 2009 17:15

slasausjes
Mathijs

Mathijs

You've got a pic of the man?

In the Rolling With The Stones book by Wyman there's a 2-page picture of Rotterdam, and right in front of Billy Preston there's this percussion player.

Mathijs

Posted by: Lukester ()
Date: June 26, 2009 17:15

I thought this was a sex question.

Date: June 26, 2009 17:16

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-06-26 17:23 by slasausjes.

Date: June 26, 2009 17:22

Mathijs, if you mean page 419: maybe O. Brown before his hair-cut? In fairness, I have no clue. Good Question!

Posted by: sean ()
Date: June 26, 2009 17:59

The Keyes to good Sax ? Respect ?

Date: June 26, 2009 18:02

T&A
there's not a chance that it's bobby playing that solo on the brussels recording....that's trevor, without a doubt.

You Can't Always Get What You Want (11:06): Long improvised solo's by Taylor and Bobby Keys highlight the center section of the song. Listen for Keith's rhythm playing during the saxophone solo. A testament to his skill as a rhythm guitarist.

[www.rollingstonesnet.com]

Well,let's say then that both rollingstonesnet.com and my friend are talking bullshit grinning smiley

Although I wasn't there ,were you ?
I mean I can't be sure at 100% Keyes played in Brussells ,so you can't be that point-blank telling it was Trevor.

Date: June 26, 2009 18:05

i can and i did - but i'm kinda special, so....

Date: June 26, 2009 22:13

Some time ago somebody posted some great very large pictures from Brussels, taken from the left side of the stage. Does anyone know where these pics can be found?

Mathijs

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: June 26, 2009 22:23

Anyway Bobby used a"Berg Larsen" mouthpiece,one of the dirtiest you can get cool smiley

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 840
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home