Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
The future of Rolling Stones fan boards
Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: June 23, 2009 13:09

Is there a future for a board like IORR?

I got the feeling it is slowly coming to an end.
There is not much news regarding our favorite band. What is there to blog about without any
news?
And if, and I mean "if", not "when" there might be any news about a new tour or a new album,
the predictable discussions will be here again.
No, the album will not be the new Exile on Main St,
no, the setlist will not contain more then five not previously played songs,
no Ronnie will not play like Mick Taylor,
no, the artwork will not be shocking like that of Sticky Fingers,
no, they will not step on the stage without backup singers, horns and loud keyboards,
no, Keith will not dye his hair,
and yes, Charlie is still good tonight ain't he?

So except for going through all 500+ songs in upcoming track talks, I guess there is not much future
for a fan board like this.

Please convince me I'm wrong.

Re: The future of Rolling Stones fan boards
Posted by: slasausjes ()
Date: June 23, 2009 13:16

We might even get a better lay-out for the board....

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: June 23, 2009 13:17

Haven't been around for a while, Marco? BV has recently mentioned the possibility of a tour in the not-so-distant future.

As for the future of this board, I'd like to think that BV will keep it going, but I would expect participation to diminish after the Stones stop performing.

Posted by: sweet neo con ()
Date: June 23, 2009 13:18

This reminds me of myth that Ben Franklin had shut down the U.S. Patent Office in the early 1800s
"because he thought that everything that could possibly be invented had already been invented!". winking smiley

IORR............but I like it!

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: June 23, 2009 13:24

sweet neo con
This reminds me of myth that Ben Franklin had shut down the U.S. Patent Office in the early 1800s
"because he thought that everything that could possibly be invented had already been invented!". winking smiley

I find that myth astonishingly funny as well because it would be the last thing he would do.

Posted by: RobberBride ()
Date: June 23, 2009 13:28

Edith Grove
I would expect participation to diminish after the Stones stop performing.

Oh, please don´t say that...I feel a small but very potent depression coming on when reflecting on that fact. Its as inevitable as ones parents going to die, but that´s just too painful to think about.

On another note, I think there will always be new fans discovering RS so that grants the forums existence. If we have learned anything this year its that a new decade means a new set of remasters smiling smiley

RB

Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: June 23, 2009 13:31

Edith Grove
Haven't been around for a while, Marco?

Not much really. But returning here once in a while is sometimes shocking. There are so
few new insights to read here. Everything has been said about a zillion times.

I've read the "announcement" by BV, but I'm not impressed by it. We will see what will happen.
I won't hold my breath.

Date: June 23, 2009 13:37

RobberBride
Edith Grove
I would expect participation to diminish after the Stones stop performing.

Oh, please don´t say that...I feel a small but very potent depression coming on when reflecting on that fact. Its as inevitable as ones parents going to die, but that´s just too painful to think about.

On another note, I think there will always be new fans discovering RS so that grants the forums existence. If we have learned anything this year its that a new decade means a new set of remasters smiling smiley

RB

I totally agree. When parents pass, inevitability of fate is staring at your face.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-06-23 13:41 by Chris Fountain.

Posted by: ablett ()
Date: June 23, 2009 13:44

IMO the longer the Stones are inactive the more negative this board gets which in turn jeopardises the longtime future of the board. I notice less people participating by adding threads or comments cause they seemingly turn negative.

Look at the Don Was/Exile thread? We've waited years for the archives to be released then when it starts a tirade of bad feeling erupts.

Same with the New Ronnie Wood Album that soon went into ripping into his present missus???

It goes on and on and I for one spend less time on here because of it.....

Posted by: RobberBride ()
Date: June 23, 2009 13:52

Well put Ablett. Hope you stick around, though.
There are still plenty of well-behaved people here.

Posted by: princerupert ()
Date: June 23, 2009 14:10

Maybe this is not the right place any more for former fans who are done with the Stones. They are not interested in new tours, albums or whatever. Ok, no problem. Stick to the books and the past. But there are many fans who like to stay in contact and talk about a band that will survive 50 years in the rock 'n roll jungle and all the things they still do. So if you don't like it..... ok. It doesn't mean the whole world thinks the same

PR

Date: June 23, 2009 14:13

A simple official tour announcement would energize the forum fan base.

"I've gotta pick myself up and start all over again"

Do you know the song?

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: June 23, 2009 14:36

marcovandereijk

There is not much news regarding our favorite band. What is there to blog about without any
news?
And if, and I mean "if", not "when" there might be any news about a new tour or a new album,
no, they will not step on the stage without backup singers, horns and loud keyboards,

So except for going through all 500+ songs in upcoming track talks, I guess there is not much future

Always the same problem during periods of lengthy inactivity, Marco. With the advent of the internet, people tend to get bored more easily - things have become so easy in recent years. Now people get frustrated if a setlist isnt posted within five minutes of a show ending or if someone hasnt made a show available online within three days. Imagine what it would have been like between 1982 and 1989 had Al Gore got around to inventing the internet earlier.

It could be worse, though. Imagine what it must be like on a board for Elvis or Beatles fans. There's also the feeling that most things have been discussed at some point in the past. Its a natural thing on any forum that runs for a long time.

I dont agree with the statement that a forum isnt the right place for 'former' fans who dont care much for what the Stones are doing recently (or 'when' they do something). The Stones mean different things to different people. We all have our own favourite and least favourite periods of the band's history, and there's different aspects of fandom which intrigue different people. Its a bit Taliban-esque to think people should leave if whatever it is that the Stones represent in 2009 doesnt interest them.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-06-23 21:23 by Gazza.

Posted by: mr edward ()
Date: June 23, 2009 14:55

Gazza: "Its a bit Taliban-esque to think people should leave if whatever it is that the Stones represent in 2009 doesnt interest them."

Exactly.

Posted by: sweet neo con ()
Date: June 23, 2009 15:47

marcovandereijk
There are so
few new insights to read here. Everything has been said about a zillion times.

Don't forget.....there's always new IORR members logging in. I'm certain that when
I first logged on to IORR...I asked a few questions that had probably been discussed dozens
of times before....like "anybody have a Stones tattoo?" , "what's the best bootleg?" & "what's a balloon knot?". winking smiley

IORR............but I like it!

Posted by: Filip020169 ()
Date: June 23, 2009 16:05

Posted by: turd ()
Date: June 23, 2009 16:28

I've been on and off here since 2001 - unashamably. I always think to myself when I go on line - "I wonder what topics the jerks are talking about today".

People here take themselves way too seriously, but it's great being here to have a laugh at what people say, be informed about interesting stuff and discuss things Stonsey.

It's a hell of a waste of time mind......

Posted by: ablett ()
Date: June 23, 2009 16:28

"Well put Ablett. Hope you stick around, though.
There are still plenty of well-behaved people here."

Not just yet....

Why not suggest a few things to keep this board more interesting and less negative?

The tshirt design went crazy for a time?
Poles on the 'future' tour?
Suggestions for a boxset or archive releases (inwhich I mean proper details, not a thread that turns into the usual MT v RW)?

The Stones collection / scan from the attic were good, why not broaden it more? Record collection Influences etc? Fans collections?

Create an online book detailing fans Stones experiences that people here can submit to and take time to write a proper journal???

Blah, blah.......

Posted by: detroitken ()
Date: June 23, 2009 17:10

Well said Gazza....

Posted by: Star.Star ()
Date: June 23, 2009 17:12

marcovandereijk

news?

C'mon, babe.
You know you're wrong.

Posted by: StonesFanatic ()
Date: June 23, 2009 18:39

I don't understand the OP's logic at all. By that thinking, every board I belong to that is dedicated to a now-defunct band (Who, Zeppelin, Hendrix, Cream, Beatles, Stones, Kinks) should be shut down since there's nothing new to talk about...

Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: June 23, 2009 18:41

Gazza

Always the same problem during periods of lengthy inactivity, Marco. With the advent of the internet, people tend to get bored more easily - things have become so easy in recent years. Now people get frustrated if a setlist isnt posted within five minutes of a show ending or if someone hasnt made a show available online within three days. Imagine what it would have been like between 1982 and 1989 had Al Gore not got around to inventing the internet earlier.

It could be worse, though. Imagine what it must be like on a board for Elvis or Beatles fans. There's also the feeling that most things have been discussed at some point in the past. Its a natural thing on any forum that runs for a long time.

I dont agree with the statement that a forum isnt the right place for 'former' fans who dont care much for what the Stones are doing recently (or 'when' they do something). The Stones mean different things to different people. We all have our own favourite and least favourite periods of the band's history, and there's different aspects of fandom which intrigue different people. Its a bit Taliban-esque to think people should leave if whatever it is that the Stones represent in 2009 doesnt interest them.

Nice and wise answer Gazza !

turd
I've been on and off here since 2001 - unashamably. I always think to myself when I go on line - "I wonder what topics the jerks are talking about today".

People here take themselves way too seriously, but it's great being here to have a laugh at what people say, be informed about interesting stuff and discuss things Stonsey.

It's a hell of a waste of time mind......
I do agree about the "havin'fun" but does it mean you don't mind about "technical and bootlegs "threads ?Or is it the opposite ?

I am a Frenchie ,as Mick affectionately called them in the Old Grey Whistle Test in 1977 .

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: June 23, 2009 19:01

there are plenty of robust discussion boards for bands/performers that haven't been around for eons, so i see no relationship between interest and current activity. in fact with the passage of time, a better perspective is often gleaned. i didn't realized how crappy the 80's were for many of my fave acts until many years later, as a for instance....

Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: June 23, 2009 19:13

Well, getting back to Marcus' question : "Is there a future for a board like IORR?", I 'll answer YES !

First of all because there is a huge amount of people posting on IORR .
Then because I am sure that even if the boys won't tour anymore,there will always be stuff to discover on the Stones,we don't know yet but may be unrealeased or whatever....

As for me (I'm not the only one ), as long as I will be able to listen and jump on Monkey Man /Gimmie Shelter 's intro , I would like for sure to share about it.

I talked last week on the telephone with a great man from Belgium (he doesn't speak english so I can tell how much the guy is great and generous ).
He knows so so much about the Stones and saw them for the last time in 1973.

But he understood me in my "fan attitude" although he's only interesting in Stones music and vinyles.

That means open minded.

If I can meet some of you in a next Stones tour,it would be great.
If the Stones don't tour anymore,then I will apreciate the virtual talks on IORR about them ,and for sure will find here some nice people with whom I could tell how much I miss the band on stage -even the Las Vegas one -
How much I miss their music ,how I 'd love to hear a new "sound" from them and how much I need it .

How much I'd like to see one more time Charlie behind his drums,with his famous face and arms 's moves -I can tell by heart -
Keith's fingers on his guitars -even with arthrosis -may be the remede will work out ...
Jagger's hands & hips dancin' in the air and his familiar voice.

I am a Frenchie ,as Mick affectionately called them in the Old Grey Whistle Test in 1977 .

Posted by: winter ()
Date: June 23, 2009 19:26

StonesFanatic
I don't understand the OP's logic at all. By that thinking, every board I belong to that is dedicated to a now-defunct band (Who, Zeppelin, Hendrix, Cream, Beatles, Stones, Kinks) should be shut down since there's nothing new to talk about...

Exactly, (except SF you reflexively put the stones in that list!!). there will still be stones message boards long after the band ends, all the band members die and all of us are gone as well. especially for artists that were big and have 30-50 years of music to pick from, like stones, dylan, dead, neil young....those Zep/Beatles sites are going 30 years later for bands that were only together for 8-12 years!

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: June 23, 2009 19:29

if the music really has legs, there will be people interesting in discussing it for centuries...mozart, beethoven, bach are still regular subject fodder in many circles. i'm not sure the stones music, or rock and roll in general, will have legs that long, but....let's all check back in 300 years to find out....

Date: June 23, 2009 19:56

winter
StonesFanatic

Exactly, (except SF you reflexively put the stones in that list!!). there will still be stones message boards long after the band ends, all the band members die and all of us are gone as well. especially for artists that were big and have 30-50 years of music to pick from, like stones, dylan, dead, neil young....those Zep/Beatles sites are going 30 years later for bands that were only together for 8-12 years!

I put them in for two reasons, because 1) that's what the OP intimated, and 2) I don't like the Stones music of the last 35 years!

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: June 23, 2009 20:37

Gazza
It could be worse, though. Imagine what it must be like on a board for Elvis or Beatles fans.

Yup...Elvis boards are going strong and the man's been dead for 32 years! People still discuss the releases....the constant bootleg releases (most of which are in the utmost quality in the last few months) and everything bout the guy.

Stones boards will live on...there's tons of things to talk about not just when a tour is active.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: June 23, 2009 21:16

The Stones mean different things to different people. We all have our own favourite and least favourite periods of the band's history, and there's different aspects of fandom which intrigue different people.

Well said Gaza.

So this is what I'm waiting for...........

Date: June 23, 2009 21:27

^Same here!

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1159
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home