Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 2 of 5
Re: A Sad State of Affairs?
Posted by: swiss ()
Date: May 17, 2010 02:20

colonial
mickschix
Well personally, I do like Ronnie but I've not been a fan of his lifestyle of late...and it's not my being judgemental because he left Jo, but he just looks ridiculous, and I can see why Mick & Keith and Charlie might be losing patience with him. Plus, he's a huge liability where touring is concerned. In my wildest Stones dreams this is the scenario. Mick Taylor gets well, recovers from his illness and Jagger and Taylor REALLY talk! It's decided that Taylor will be paid in full for all of the money owed to him and he REJOINS the BAND! Of course, a tour follows and the Stones play the entire EXILE on opening night! ( and I'm in the front row, of course! )How's that for a daydream?
mickschix..gee..If Ronnie was left out and replaced by someone else he would be devastated after been with The Stones for 35 years the band is like a family to him..ya can understand that.Mick wouldnt be so cruel to do that and either would any of the others they are all like brothers.Ronnies not going anywhere hes there to the end.

hmmm....sorry nope. The Stones is Mick, Charlie, and Keith. Their "Other Guitarist" has changed over the years, they serve them well during their term, and when their time is over, it's over. The Stones have always been pragmatists---this is something Mick and Keith indelibly have in common. As Keith has said: When you gotta go, you gotta go.

I agree with Mixchix - I'm not involving myself in the morality play or he-said/she-said but the guy's not been behaving like someone who can be relied on to tour with. Also, if he were just a volatile guy with relationship problems it'd be one thing; but all signs point to unhinged behavior due to alcoholism. That level of sloppiness generally doesn't translate into the strength of playing the Stones need, at least on tour. Keith--at his best, given the reality of his having crippling arthritis--may be able to play, but they need a strong second fiddle. Ronnie does not appear to be up for that.

If he proves himself to be, they wouldn't likely dump him. But if he can't pull his own weight, the Stones would have no use for him. Sentimentality aside.

- swiss

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: May 17, 2010 02:48

.....well KR insisting that MT wasn't on the Exile re release may mean that he is in RW's corner....no acknowledgement of MT from KR might be one of the glimmers way of incidently giving the impression that there is certainly some differene of opinion w/in the Stones on how to move forward....

Posted by: melvin ()
Date: May 17, 2010 02:55

I got the feeling that the boys have not played together at all since the last tour. Keith said to Jimmy Fallon that he was rusty. Ronnie to in a state of being constantly being f'd up, Charlie is the only one active! Can't bring in Mick Taylor, he is very sick.
It's all over, man!

Posted by: colonial ()
Date: May 17, 2010 03:00

swiss
colonial
mickschix
Well personally, I do like Ronnie but I've not been a fan of his lifestyle of late...and it's not my being judgemental because he left Jo, but he just looks ridiculous, and I can see why Mick & Keith and Charlie might be losing patience with him. Plus, he's a huge liability where touring is concerned. In my wildest Stones dreams this is the scenario. Mick Taylor gets well, recovers from his illness and Jagger and Taylor REALLY talk! It's decided that Taylor will be paid in full for all of the money owed to him and he REJOINS the BAND! Of course, a tour follows and the Stones play the entire EXILE on opening night! ( and I'm in the front row, of course! )How's that for a daydream?
mickschix..gee..If Ronnie was left out and replaced by someone else he would be devastated after been with The Stones for 35 years the band is like a family to him..ya can understand that.Mick wouldnt be so cruel to do that and either would any of the others they are all like brothers.Ronnies not going anywhere hes there to the end.

hmmm....sorry nope. The Stones is Mick, Charlie, and Keith. Their "Other Guitarist" has changed over the years, they serve them well during their term, and when their time is over, it's over. The Stones have always been pragmatists---this is something Mick and Keith indelibly have in common. As Keith has said: When you gotta go, you gotta go.

I agree with Mixchix - I'm not involving myself in the morality play or he-said/she-said but the guy's not been behaving like someone who can be relied on to tour with. Also, if he were just a volatile guy with relationship problems it'd be one thing; but all signs point to unhinged behavior due to alcoholism. That level of sloppiness generally doesn't translate into the strength of playing the Stones need, at least on tour. Keith--at his best, given the reality of his having crippling arthritis--may be able to play, but they need a strong second fiddle. Ronnie does not appear to be up for that.

If he proves himself to be, they wouldn't likely dump him. But if he can't pull his own weight, the Stones would have no use for him. Sentimentality aside.

- swiss
swiss..Fair enough..we will just have to wait and see then.

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: May 17, 2010 03:05

I agree , they could have done something as a band or even mick and or keith performing with one of the guest bands, it is more surprising that it did not happen IMO

Posted by: bigbang ()
Date: May 17, 2010 03:07

71Tele
I had one observation about Exile Week on the Jimmy Fallon show: We saw Phish, Sheryl Crow, Keith Urban, et. al. playing Exile songs. We saw the documentary. We saw Mick, Keith and Charlie in sketches and interviews. This was all great, and very exciting (I haven't felt this way about a Stones release in a quarter century). But the one thing we did NOT see (not even once!) was our boys getting up there and showing everyone how it is done. Not even one song. They did everything but actually play music. I don't feel angry about this, just kind of wistful.

Naw. We didn't want them to ruin the moment, did we? winking smiley

And the queen is bravely shouting,
"What the hell is going on?"

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: May 17, 2010 03:28

this discussion reminds me of a bootleg I saw of the Last o2 show of a bigger bang that included a jam session from late one night after a show with daryl, lisa and berndard and I think Tim Reis or someone from the horn section. There was a time when It used to be the stones themeslves that got up there and did stuff like that, like they did with Muddy Waters & Co at Chekerboard Lounge in Chicago on the 81 tour. It was kind of sad to think they were probably at home sleeping while the side musicans were out playing. But its to be expected as you get older you don't do stuff like that anymore. Everyone gets older.

If they're promoting something you'd think they'd get it together to do a performance of some sort. Even During the 80's "WWW3" period they did the RNR hall of fame thing and Keith did Hail Hail rock N roll... and over the years either Mick Or Keith have played on SNL to promote solo stuff. they were still getting up there preforming even without a tour. Either this is it, or they're just really slowing down. BUt From these clips its still good to see that youthfullness about them that has never gone away.

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 2010-05-17 05:12 by ryanpow.

Posted by: swiss ()
Date: May 17, 2010 03:34

colonial
swiss

- swiss

Colonial, there's an interesting exchange I jotted down in the Keith interview on AbsoluteRadio thread

INTERVIEWER: I don't know whether you know--Ronnie Wood is a DJ here

KEITH: --he's in JAIL? (har har har har) I thought you said he was in jail again!

INTERVEIWER: No! (not this week)

(both laugh)

INTERVIEW: He has a really fantastic show here Saturday nights...He really loves being in the band, I can tell you that.

(no response from Keith)

Posted by: jjflash73 ()
Date: May 17, 2010 04:47

This is just great, we get a complete week dedicated to the Stones, they fly in from all over the globe and we get negativity? Didnt you hear Keith sat he was 'rusty' or did you not really watch it? Look at the positive.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: May 17, 2010 04:55

urbanjungle90
I don't think the Stones would ever play music outside of a tour. There are bands and people that do this, but I cannot see them doing a one off show.

Pretty much everyone else does. I cant honestly think of another act that doesnt, or rather that WON'T.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-05-17 04:56 by Gazza.

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: May 17, 2010 05:07

jjflash73
This is just great, we get a complete week dedicated to the Stones, they fly in from all over the globe and we get negativity? Didnt you hear Keith sat he was 'rusty' or did you not really watch it? Look at the positive.

yeah, I watched it and I got a pretty positive vibe from it, its good to see them again in any form. And I do remember that part. But facts are facts: they aint playin anything.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2010-05-17 05:13 by ryanpow.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: May 17, 2010 05:08

x

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-05-17 14:43 by His Majesty.

Posted by: colonial ()
Date: May 17, 2010 08:42

swiss
colonial
swiss

- swiss

Colonial, there's an interesting exchange I jotted down in the Keith interview on AbsoluteRadio thread

INTERVIEWER: I don't know whether you know--Ronnie Wood is a DJ here

KEITH: --he's in JAIL? (har har har har) I thought you said he was in jail again!

INTERVEIWER: No! (not this week)

(both laugh)

INTERVIEW: He has a really fantastic show here Saturday nights...He really loves being in the band, I can tell you that.

(no response from Keith)
swiss..(no response from Keith) Keiths..probadly in two minds with Ronnie about a few things at the moment ..But hey..theyre get over it.

Posted by: little queenie ()
Date: May 17, 2010 10:19

Funny though - watching Leavell with (lame) Sheryl Crow I thought - for the very first time in my goddamn life I swear - that Chuck s quite cool actually - and he actually brought some Stones credibility to the performance. It was nice that he did NOT smile.

- Doxa
------------------------------------------------------------

I heard on Tues that he wasn't given much of an introduction. Perhaps that's why he didn't smile. I was at the Wednesday show and he smiled a lot (and got lots of introductions) - I don't know what they showed on camera.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2010-05-17 10:25 by little queenie.

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: May 17, 2010 10:29

Keith Richards said that he did not play for a long time, so it would be a bad idea to perform without preparation, the motivation seems to be gone. We will see what the future will bring.

Posted by: stones_serb ()
Date: May 17, 2010 15:32

Quite honestly I think that they should hire someone like Luther Dickinson,a young and talented guitarist who is true to the sound that made The Stones a household name.That guy could certainly inject a lot of energy into the band and perhaps he would push them to play more songs from Exile.I wouldn't like to see Ronnie leave but if both him and Keith prove to not be in very good shape, then something has to be radically changed if they mean to embark on another world tour.The best solution would be to just bring in another guitar player as support.Some could see this as a sign of weakness and that is not something Mick and Keith would like to convey.However at this stage there's nothing wrong with resorting to such measures.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-05-17 15:33 by stones_serb.

Date: May 17, 2010 15:45

jjflash73

Two of them flew in from 'all over the globe', actually. One already lives about an hour or two up the road and two other ex-members weren't there at all.

Yes, there are plenty of 'positives' about the whole thing. Its great to have something worth getting excited about again aftersuch a long drought, and the Exile reissue is wonderful, but if you cant find anything negative at all about the fact that a band who is running out of time havent worked together now for three years and who dont/wont/cant take the opportunity to do so (be it together or separately) considering the exposure they've been given over the last week or two then I guess maybe you're not seeing the bigger picture.

yes, Keith said he was 'rusty', which is a valid reason in itself for not playing live. Don't you think its also valid to find it a bit sad as to WHY he's become 'rusty' in the first place?

He did say in a radio interview a day or two ago that he broke a finger last year, but I seriously doubt that's the reason why he appears to have been inactive for three years - and when asked about working with the Stones again, seems to be deferring all responsibility to Mick for kickstarting things.

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: May 17, 2010 16:01

I think that as much as we all dream of a Stones tour, the reality of it does not look so good. Gazza is being realistic and I am not trying to imply Ronnie is OUT of the band but there are signs pointing in that direction. I think that maybe Mick did read Ronnie the riot act at their meeting and we'll never know exactly what he said to RW but it couldn't have been wonderful!
Gazza wondered why Keith would allow himself to get that rusty...that is disturbing. Keith, RIFF MASTER, not practicing?? He sure seemed coherent on Jimmy Fallon, not slurring words etc. But it sure seems he has no REASON to practice, no tour to get ready for. And how easy would it be to actually replace Ronnie if they had to? I don't imagine Mick is looking forward to that prospect! It was a nightmare he never recovered from in 1974 when Taylor quit and they were about to tour the next year. All of this is making me nervous!

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: May 17, 2010 16:15

Allowing yourself to become so rusty that you can't even jam with band(s) playing your songs is a joke.

Almost as funny as his lead playing on So Divine. Sorry for the negativity, but that playing troubles me deeply.

Date: May 17, 2010 16:19

Does anyone know 66-67 year old men without ailments?

Keith has gotten 'rusty' because his fingers/arthritis hurt like hell. Did you see his hands on Jimmy Fallon and notice the knuckles? For the past 20 years they have been slowing decaying and this disease must hurt like hell.
I bet he has doctors orders not to play or he will lose the ability to use his hands.

if they go back out on the road, it will be for the fans. And there will be some on this very site that will knock his playing.....

Posted by: stones_serb ()
Date: May 17, 2010 16:39

Judging from Keith's and Mick's recent statements it seems that they aren't considering retirement at this moment.There was even a talk about the new album and as I can recall Keith mentioned once that they would have to change their approach regarding shows due to their age.They would have been on the road already if it hadn't been for Ronnie's transgressions.We just have to relax and see the further development.No reason to be nervous.I don't think anything bad could come out of this.

Posted by: mitchflorida ()
Date: May 17, 2010 16:42

mickschix
And STILL I ask...WHERE IS RONNIE!? I know he was not in on the making of EXILE...but still, WHERE IS HE!?

He is at home right now, relaxing in his backyard.

Next question?

Date: May 17, 2010 17:47

jjflash73
Does anyone know 66-67 year old men without ailments?

Yes. However, no one's criticising them for that.

jjflash73
Keith has gotten 'rusty' because his fingers/arthritis hurt like hell.

How do you know this to be a fact?

jjflash73
Did you see his hands on Jimmy Fallon and notice the knuckles? For the past 20 years they have been slowing decaying and this disease must hurt like hell.
I bet he has doctors orders not to play or he will lose the ability to use his hands.

For 3 years? If thats the case, why are you assuming this will improve and he'll be able to go back on the road? If anything, his fingers look better of late than they have done for quite some time. In fact, so does he. He's actually played on Sheryl Crow's upcoming album. So much for doctor's orders.

jjflash73
if they go back out on the road, it will be for the fans. And there will be some on this very site that will knock his playing.....

I've never knocked his playing and never will, but your comment about them going out on the road 'for the fans' is laughable. If they tour again it'll be because they want to, and because it makes them a lot of money (both of which are reasonable enough). The notion of the Stones doing so as some kind of public service or altruistic gesture doesnt bear any resemblance to reality.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-05-17 17:48 by Gazza.

Posted by: georgeV ()
Date: May 17, 2010 18:34

I am a huge fan but do not see what all the excitement is over a re-release of a 38 year old classic? If the ten new songs were that good, they would have been on the original release. And, if the band put half as much energy promoting a tour or new CD as they do the Exile re-release or Shine A Light movie, they would not have had half-empty stadiums when they came back to the US in 2006.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: May 17, 2010 18:40

windmelody
Keith Richards said that he did not play for a long time, so it would be a bad idea to perform without preparation, the motivation seems to be gone. We will see what the future will bring.

so a guy who basically plays guitar for a living and used to play it for fun when he wasn't "working" hasn't played it in a "long time." folks - if you can't read between the lines yet, i don't know what to tell you.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: May 17, 2010 19:42

StonesTod
windmelody

so a guy who basically plays guitar for a living and used to play it for fun when he wasn't "working" hasn't played it in a "long time." folks - if you can't read between the lines yet, i don't know what to tell you.

Exactly. I don't know in which of these many threads I tried to say the same point. No one is going to say to Keith that "Retire, man. You can not do it anymore" but himself. All the rest of us are just his ass-kissers, or we love him way too much to say the truth, etc. We have seen his abilities as a guitar player to have going down - the last tour was almost a disaster if any objectivity is given place - and if he NOW, after three years, says he is "rusty", what can we imply of it? I think he is trying to find an "easy" way out, and I will respect him for that. No way he is going to say "I can not do it anymore. My bloody fingers don't follow my orders anymore." The man has his proudness, and honestly, I think he has been, for quite many years, coping rather well despite being half-handicaped as a guitar player. But I guess the human limit has been reached by now. He probably has pushed the limit further than any of us can imagine by now.

- Doxa

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2010-05-17 19:46 by Doxa.

Date: May 17, 2010 19:47

jjflash73
if they go back out on the road, it will be for the fan$.

i corrected your spelling...

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: May 17, 2010 20:16

StonesTod
windmelody

I agree with you, I often wrote here that I do not believe in a future Stones tour.

Date: May 17, 2010 20:23

windmelody
StonesTod
windmelody

I agree with you, I often wrote here that I do not believe in a future Stones tour.

if the principals really feel they need one last big money-drop into their coffers, i have no doubt they'll find a way to pull something "marketable" together and use their ingenuity to cover for the increasing deficiencies and liabilities of their axemen....money trumps all....i have faith in our boys to do the wrong thing if the circumstances call for it...

Date: May 17, 2010 20:48

Gazza,
Ok, two out of three flew in. You get the idea though?

Otherwise I disagree with everything you say. This your opinion thats all. I see what happened and what they did. I ask for no more. You want commitments, jams, tour announcements...I don't know what else but you ain't happy.

Aside from the Stones, the Beatles have went back and re released albums and I didnt see the remaining guys get together and tour, play or even do a week of promo?

Finally, Keith doesn't have to tell you wwhy he hasn't played in 3 years. Why do you feel entitled to know and feel it is letdown?

I am surprised at your comments. Sorry, no insults meant by my post but I dodnt get it man.

jjflash73

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 2 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1733
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home