Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Tour Talk- '99 was a good year and Stones tour
Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: May 21, 2009 04:04

this Tour was the No Security tour...they were sounding great and playing with great enthusiasm, and doing some fantastic versions of 'You Got The Silver' 'Midnight Rambler' 'Route 66' 'Miss You' with long harp solos from Jagger, and sax from Bobby...the BTB song sounded well seasoned: 'Flip The Switch' 'Saint Of Me' 'Out Of Control'
the whole effect was strong but not glitzy, and the playing was inspired, from all...
and I remember a great version of 'Paint It Black' from the show I saw, wish I'd seen more on that tour. I think it ranks among the best.

Re: Tour Talk- '99 was a good year and Stones tour
Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: May 21, 2009 04:10

Memphis, Tennessee, 8 April, smiling smiley

[www.iorr.org]

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: May 21, 2009 04:35

In OKC the version of "Route 66" brought the house down! You can imagine why. But Keith's rythm guitar on "Get Off My Cloud" nearly blew my ears off! I dont know why it seemed so much louder than the other songs. Whew!!

Date: May 21, 2009 04:39

EG did you see that Memphis show? and others? I saw the Charlotte show

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: May 21, 2009 04:41

Yeah, Memphis was my only '99 show.

Date: May 21, 2009 04:42

yeah scottkeef I remember thinking it was a treat to hear 'Route 66'..goes back to their formative years !

Posted by: erikjjf ()
Date: May 21, 2009 09:54

Flip The Switch and Miss You were not played in 1999.

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: May 21, 2009 10:11

This is a thread I have been waiting for! I saw them in Stuttgart and Cologne in 1999 and I have wonderful, wonderful memories from these concerts. In my opinion this was the last tour from the Rolling Stones part 2, 1989-1999. In 2002 the Stones started their part 3 period. The 99 shows had the best intro ever, and Keith was fantastic that year. His communication with Charlie during the songs was fascinating. Ronnie had many blackouts during that tour, but Keith's guitar was sublime.

Posted by: tippy2toes ()
Date: May 21, 2009 12:15

Unfortunately I missed that one.

Date: May 21, 2009 12:55

>>Flip the Switch and Miss You were not played in 1999<<

thanks for the correction erikjjf, I remembered wrong on those 2, it's 'Some Girls" that was played with a long jam in '99...yes 'FTS' was done in '97

Posted by: straycatuk ()
Date: May 21, 2009 17:42

The club show at the S.B. empire was great (No, I wasn't there unfortunately).

SC UK

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: May 21, 2009 17:50

for me the singular highlight was the long overdue dusting off and premiere of one of my top 5 stones tunes: some girls. saw it opening night and four other times subsequently and they nailed it every time. the beacon version is pretty timid and weak by comparison, imo

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-05-21 17:58 by T&A.

Posted by: Lukester ()
Date: May 21, 2009 17:57

duke richardson

Yeah I was there. Great show. One of my all time favorite by any performer. And that relatively new arena has since been razed. You Got The Silver almost brought a tear to my eye, it was that good. Elmo was there too.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-05-21 17:59 by Lukester.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: May 21, 2009 18:23

Saw seven shows that year. Both the Hartford gigs (my first Stones US shows and the first time I saw them indoors) and all 5 UK shows including Shepherds Bush.

An interesting series of concerts with them pulling out some genuine surprises on the US leg and having the balls to drop Miss You and Satisfaction too. Which disproves the theory that you can charge exorbitant prices, drop some big hits and the audiences will still come back. It was great to see a show stripped down and relying primarily on music instead of gimmickry.

Keith was on fine form throughout although he probably had backache by the end of the tour from carrying Ronnie for four months. Woody has said that he has done entire tours that he can barely remember. This was probably one of them. The only other negative was the broken promise from the previous summer to play a series of UK theatre shows to make up for the postponed British gigs in '98.

However, Woody was on top form at Shepherds Bush. Let no one tell you that this show wasn't good. It was fantastic. They did a glorious one off version of 'Moon is Up' that night which was a real highlight.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-05-21 18:25 by Gazza.

Posted by: Pecman ()
Date: May 21, 2009 18:25

Don't forget they played SOME GIRLS!!!!

PECMAN

Date: May 21, 2009 18:27

liked the SB show setlist, but didn't think their playing in general was on a par with some of the better US 99 shows...in general, they seemed pretty winded by the end of the run in the UK...

ronnie was barely a factor on that tour, indeed. thankfully, it was the last great hurrah for keith, who was on point for most of the tour. the last time that the b-stage hadn't been raped by the warhorses, too....

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: May 21, 2009 18:50

T&A
liked the SB show setlist, but didn't think their playing in general was on a par with some of the better US 99 shows...in general, they seemed pretty winded by the end of the run in the UK...

I remember feeling that way at the 2 Wembley shows. First night was pretty good, but the second one they sounded knackered. The Edinburgh and Sheffield shows the previous weekend were better - Sheffield especially, where they put on a really good performance despite a hideous rainstorm.

Date: May 21, 2009 18:57

Gazza
T&A

I remember feeling that way at the 2 Wembley shows. First night was pretty good, but the second one they sounded knackered. The Edinburgh and Sheffield shows the previous weekend were better - Sheffield especially, where they put on a really good performance despite a hideous rainstorm.

rainstorms, historically, seem to propel them to better performances. they should schedule their next tour to coincide with the worst weather months in the respective locales. The Stormy Weather Tour. opens up all kinds of creative possibilities...

Posted by: harlito1969 ()
Date: May 21, 2009 19:52

Edith Grove
Memphis, Tennessee, 8 April, smiling smiley

[www.iorr.org]

Same here, we drove up from Houston. When they played I Got The Blues it made the trip worthwhile. The next day at Graceland was filled with Stones t-shirts. And they ran out of Elvis' meat loaf! Lots of Stones fans liked meat loaf, I guess.

It was a great show and time had by all.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: May 21, 2009 19:53

duke richardson

Duke, I was there (Charlotte)- smoking hot show! The b-stage (Route 66, Imagination, and Rambler) was awesome. Only time I've ever seen "Memory Motel". Pretty NC ladies too.

"No Anchovies, Please"

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: May 21, 2009 19:56

I have VHS tapes of the Memphis and Charlotte(decent quality-you can still tell the calibre of the shows). Charlotte seems to be a GREAT city for the band going back to 72!

Date: May 21, 2009 20:30

yeah that Charlotte '72 boot is now infamous infamy... glad I got to the '99 one, since I didn't see them in '72

that show ('99) was one of Keith's finest. I love the film intro they had for those shows. not a bad setlist:

Jumping Jack Flash
Bitch
You Got Me Rocking
Respectable
Honky Tonk Women
Memory Motel
Saint of Me
Some Girls
Paint It Black
-- Introductions --
You Got The Silver (Keith)
Before They Make Me Run (Keith)
Out Of Control
Route 66 (B-stage)
Just My Imagination (B-stage)
Midnight Rambler (B-stage)
Tumbling Dice
It's Only Rock'n Roll
Start Me Up
Brown Sugar
Sympathy for the Devil (encore)

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: May 21, 2009 20:48

Seems this tour is a lot of fans' favorites...shame it's their only modern tour without any official video/DVD release. That's one tour that deserves to be documented.

Posted by: gmanp ()
Date: May 21, 2009 21:24

I was also in Memphis '99; way up high where we were, the sound was bad/muddy, but I still enjoyed it. It was a great set list and the intro video was indeed cool!
Here's a semi-funny account of the Pyramid
[www.nytimes.com]

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: May 21, 2009 22:19

Justin
Seems this tour is a lot of fans' favorites...shame it's their only modern tour without any official video/DVD release. That's one tour that deserves to be documented.

Great point, Justin - would love some official footage/audio of this tour.

"No Anchovies, Please"

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: May 21, 2009 22:43

Definitely, Elmo!

April 20, 1999 San Jose was defintely filmed for some kind of release. From an IORR review:

Before Saint of Me, Mick called attention to the fact that there were extra cameras filming tonight and then said, “So if you go crazy ….”

Who knows why they've never made anything out of it? Huge shame.

Posted by: straycatuk ()
Date: May 21, 2009 23:00

Yes a great set of UK99 shows. I know thet sounded a bit tired on boots of the wembley shows,but for me.at the time,it was the closest I'd been to the band.A few feet from the b stage on the 1st night,then on night 2 in the golden circle Ronnie's side almost against the barrier with plenty of visits by Keith and he walked right past me in the pit during BS - GREAT MEMORIES

sc uk

Date: May 21, 2009 23:05

Wembley 11 June 99 - easily the best of my 9 Stone shows.

Date: May 21, 2009 23:09

Justin
Definitely, Elmo!

April 20, 1999 San Jose was defintely filmed for some kind of release. From an IORR review:

Before Saint of Me, Mick called attention to the fact that there were extra cameras filming tonight and then said, “So if you go crazy ….”

Who knows why they've never made anything out of it? Huge shame.

both shows (4/19 & 4/20) were professionally filmed. generations from now, the 20 or so folks calling themselves stones diehards will prolly get to see these.

Posted by: No Expectations ()
Date: May 22, 2009 02:05

One of my favorite tours ever. Caught opening night in Oakland and both rescheduled shows in San Jose. Not only was Some Girls debuted on this tour but Moonlight Mile and You Got The Siver as well as the return of Route 66 after 20 some years. I Got the Blues was also a highlight.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1483
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home