Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
RS.com sez Stu was OFFICIALLY a Stone 1962-85
Posted by: twenny revlights ()
Date: May 10, 2010 15:47

Re: RS.com sez Stu was OFFICIALLY a Stone 1962-85
Date: May 10, 2010 15:55

Neither Chuck Leavell nor Andrew Oldham have at this point been
included as collaborators...

[www.rollingstones.com]

Date: May 10, 2010 15:57

Whoops, Andrew is included. Poor Chuck.

Posted by: Ket ()
Date: May 10, 2010 17:05

They have Charlie from 1962-Present , Don't think he played his first gig with the band until 1963 if I am not mistaken.

Posted by: Father Ted ()
Date: May 10, 2010 17:07

I thought that Stu was officially demoted to being Road Manager/pianist back in the 60s?

Posted by: zumabitch ()
Date: May 10, 2010 17:11

Various articles on Wikipedia and other sources, rightfully, consider the Rolling Stones as a 6 members band composed by Mick Jagger, Keith Richards, Bill Wyman, Charlie Watts, Brian Jones and Ian Stewart. So if rollingstones.com gives relevance to that now they wake up late, it's not the first time.

Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: May 10, 2010 17:16

twenny revlights
Whoops, Andrew is included. Poor Chuck.

Chuck isn't included ? Ooppss...winking smiley

I like the cases & storage part ,plus the Jagger's pic from the 76 tour .
Concerning the news ,it seems they copied & pasted IORR...

I am a Frenchie ,as Mick affectionately called them in the Old Grey Whistle Test in 1977 .

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: May 10, 2010 17:20

Correct, Charlie wasn't in the band when they had their first gig. But whatever - I bet Keith is the one that came up with the years.

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: May 10, 2010 17:35

I like this layout with ALL the core band members... especially the acknowledgement of Stu, and also the placement of the Brian Jones and Mick Taylor links.

Also interesting that five Stones have larger tabs above... those are the five guys that were together for the longest time.

Posted by: nankerphlege ()
Date: May 10, 2010 17:48

Good. Stu deserves it.

Go Dawgs!

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: May 10, 2010 17:49

Ronnie is born 1941. Aha.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: May 10, 2010 18:06

akgameboy
Hopefully Chuck Leavell is kicked out of the band because he is a horrible, horrible piano player. Four main reasons the Stones kinda suck nowadays: Chuck Leavell, Don Was, Mick Jagger's solo career, and Keith's lack of interest in the band.

He isn't a horrible player, but his style is horrible for the Stones. Mid-range plodding and chording is does not go well with a 2-guitar boogie/swing band.

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: May 10, 2010 18:22

By mistake they forgot to erase Wyman from their history.

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: May 10, 2010 18:24

Yes .... and this is breaking news is it ? Hardly.

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Posted by: cc ()
Date: May 10, 2010 19:13

the instrument credits are all somewhat incomplete.

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: May 10, 2010 19:21

I think it was just a tribute to Stu. I'll bet pay wise he wasn't an official member.eye popping smiley

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Posted by: BBrew ()
Date: May 10, 2010 19:27

He deserved to be a member!

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: May 10, 2010 19:30

paulywaul

Yes .... and this is breaking news is it ? Hardly.

Us folks who love Rolling Stones music know all about Stu.

Has there ever been anything "official" like this? (album, tour program, etc.)
That formally includes Stu among the other seven men as a Rolling Stones band member.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-05-10 19:53 by schillid.

Posted by: souldoggie ()
Date: May 10, 2010 19:47

Where's the surprise here? They've listed the official members of the Rolling Stones. Chuck has never been a Stone. Stu was. Chuck's a hired hand. Just like Nicky and Darrel and Keys and Andrew and Jimmy Miller and McLagen and Lisa and Nitzsche and everyone else who has contributed and made the Stones sound so rich and enjoyabe throughout the years.
The Stones are lucky they found Chuck. He's one of the industry's most talented players (ask the Allman Brothers and Clapton etc) but MOST importantly he's loyal, dedicated, available, and he's a great hang.
I think people tend to discount this important reality. You may be the best player in the world, but if you're unavailable, unprofessional, and a jerk to hang out with, the Stones don't want you or need you around.
The great thing about Chuck is that he's both Mick's AND Keith's guy. The Stones love his sound and they love him. If they didn't, he wouldn't have been around for nearly 30 years. LOL.

Posted by: rootsman ()
Date: May 10, 2010 19:58

Interesting that they credit Brian with playing accordion and trumpet,
but not harmonica, marimbas, dulcimer, recorder/flute and mellotron(unless this counts as a keyboard...).
Makes me wonder how much this can be trusted, and what sources they have.confused smiley

Posted by: carlostones10 ()
Date: May 10, 2010 19:59

No Bernard and Lisa.

twenny revlights
Neither Chuck Leavell nor Andrew Oldham have at this point been
included as collaborators...

[www.rollingstones.com]

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: May 10, 2010 20:27

rootsman
Interesting that they credit Brian with playing accordion and trumpet,
but not harmonica, marimbas, dulcimer, recorder/flute and mellotron(unless this counts as a keyboard...).
Makes me wonder how much this can be trusted, and what sources they have.confused smiley

I don't think they are going for much accuracy here, it's a site for general fans, with some lil things like tape and gear pics for the geeks like us.

Posted by: mailexile67 ()
Date: May 10, 2010 21:03

Stu has been an official former member from the first rehearsals in May-June '62 to the end of april '63, this is history!

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: May 10, 2010 21:16

stu had a somewhat murky position in the stones as far as titles go but WE know what he meant to the band.i gotta admit im a bit shocked by how well this line-up is spelled out,its like its been written up by a hardcore fan.

if asked who the ACTUAL stones are[and were ]i would think anyone of us would say mick,keith,bill,charlie,brian,stu,mick t and ronnie.

if nothing else it puts that horrible, casio playing,thin sounding,plinking lumberjack doofus that goes around calling himself"from the stones" and saying"we" and 'us" when refering to the band back in his place.

Posted by: gimmelittledrink ()
Date: May 10, 2010 21:36

Stu was listed as a member when they were inducted into the R&R Hall of Fame.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: May 10, 2010 21:42

lem motlow
if nothing else it puts that horrible, casio playing,thin sounding,plinking lumberjack doofus that goes around calling himself"from the stones" and saying"we" and 'us" when refering to the band back in his place.

oh, you mean that guy who has been singularly responsible for many of the rarities that have made it into the setlist the past 20 years and who is the musical bandleader now that keith can't handle that anymore? yeah - he's a real pain to have around....

Posted by: Beelyboy ()
Date: May 10, 2010 21:57

StonesTod
lem motlow

oh, you mean that guy who has been singularly responsible for many of the rarities that have made it into the setlist the past 20 years and who is the musical bandleader now that keith can't handle that anymore? yeah - he's a real pain to have around....

"the musical bandleader now that Keith can't handle t anymore",,,

exactamente. it's like admitting total defeat but making the guy who brings the body bags the General...

Date: May 10, 2010 21:59

TooTough
By mistake they forgot to erase Wyman from their history.

yeah haw haw they'd have to erase everything EVERYTHING recorded in sixties and seventies too. well u'll always have bridges to babylon!!

Posted by: Rik ()
Date: May 10, 2010 22:04

never knew that the stand out track from Darryl was Street fighting man from 1968, Streets of Love is an iconic song and that Mean disposition was in the set in 1994-1995.
You learn alot!
Pics are great, but they really should take a look at the facts posted

Date: May 10, 2010 22:04

Ket
They have Charlie from 1962-Present , Don't think he played his first gig with the band until 1963 if I am not mistaken.

they started playing with him in spring summer sixty two when, at first, he was drumming for Blues Inc. and mick and keith were reported to be jamming with them...
not sure of the exact history with charles rest of sixty two but think he was IN from virtually the very beginning....

charles was with blues incorporated feb '62 and brian mick and keith saw them (him) in april '62 (according to timeisonourside.com )

then they say mick and keith jamming with blues incorporated a month later!!!
so already w charlie early on it seems..62?
oh here we go timeisonourside quote:
"August 1962: Drummer Tony Chapman, from Bill Wyman's group the Cliftons, answers an ad placed by the Stones and joins the group.

Keith Richards: Tony Chapman

"We didn't dare (gig yet). We were rehearsing drummers. Mick Avory came by, the drummer of the Kinks. He was terrible, then. Couldn't find that off beat. Couldn't pick up on that Jimmy Reed stuff.... (It was) just Mick and myself and Brian (and Stu). We knew Charlie. He was a friend. He was gigging at the time, playing with Alexis. He was Korner's drummer. We couldn't afford him. One day we picked up a drummer called Tony Chapman who was our first regular drummer. Terrible. One of the worst... cat would start a number and end up either 4 times as fast as he started it or 3 times as slow."

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1533
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home