Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: Shall we finally stop with 'the best this' and 'top whatever that'?
Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: May 8, 2010 01:09

I didnt know what to say to him.

.........tell him not ta spoil a good drink......

ROCKMAN

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: May 8, 2010 01:35

kleermaker
Well, mr dja, I wrote my last post without having read yours before (I saw it after that). I think in my turn that you come pretty close to what I mean, though StonesTod claims you as a witness of his own opinion, which is just fun.

A nice story. In my opinion you say: I enjoy the music of my daughter very much (of course!) but I know that it's not of great quality. It's simply the reverse of what I said before: one can dislike a piece of art and at the same time acknowledge that it's great art.

You got it exactly... On both counts... I find it fun(ny) that StonesTod thought I was saying the same thing as him/her as well. Must be the language barrier...

I think that where art (of all kinds) is concerned, beauty is most definately in the eyes/ears/soul of the beholder. Can certain attributes be used to measure the quality, sure. The hardest part in judging or rating art is the fact that many times the people doing the judging have little knowledge of the goals of the producers. See: Lester "Roadhog" Moran & The Cadillac Cowboys for an example of this theory.

Gotta Run!

Peace,
Mr DJA

Posted by: keeffriffhard ()
Date: May 8, 2010 01:59

Peace to ya all

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: May 8, 2010 02:41

kleermaker
I once have written something about a version of YCAGWYW and the result was that an expert like HM (yes he is!) said that because of that little piece he could listen with other ears to that version than before (no jokes about the new ears of HM please).

No doubt about it, that was a sweet piece of writing. I'd say your presence here has pushed me to re-evaluate a period I'd once enjoyed, but turned away from. thumbs up

rootsman
I´d rather have/get opinions about "what´s best" than speculations about MT´s possible guitar overdubs...eye rolling smiley

Both in moderation would be nice. smiling smiley

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: May 8, 2010 13:57

SLAM!!!!!!! UP the TOP baby... hey this one was cool when it was rollin'.....

Dick Stratton's --- Pistol Boogie .... On the Tennessee label 700-800 Series..

.........Oh honey does that thing rockkkkkkkk....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: May 8, 2010 14:22

No,we shouldn´t.
It´s most times amazing and interesting.

I prefer the dumbest "best of" / "worst..." thread towards the neverendingwigandbodypartsthreads...

Posted by: AP ()
Date: May 8, 2010 16:28

I think we should proceed. It's always interesting to see what attracts other people.

kleermaker

We're not talking about taste, NICOS. Besides peanut butter is no art. Even producing it is no art: just take some peanuts and stamp your feet on themwinking smiley.

By the way, does the term "art" apply to the Stones music? Personally, I would not consider the music I like (e.g. americana, vernacular music) as the art. Music is more emotion to me and a kind of universal language everyone understands, but not the art.

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: May 8, 2010 16:34

AP
I think we should proceed. It's always interesting to see what attracts other people.

kleermaker

We're not talking about taste, NICOS. Besides peanut butter is no art. Even producing it is no art: just take some peanuts and stamp your feet on themwinking smiley.

By the way, does the term "art" apply to the Stones music? Personally, I would not consider the music I like (e.g. americana, vernacular music) as the art. Music is more emotion to me and a kind of universal language everyone understands, but not the art.

Do you consider classical music (Bach, Mozart, Schubert, Beethoven etc.) as 'art' or do you think music isn't a form of art anyway?

Btw: In my view all arts are about feelings and emotions.

Date: May 8, 2010 17:07

kleermaker
Do you consider classical music (Bach, Mozart, Schubert, Beethoven etc.) as 'art' or do you think music isn't a form of art anyway?

Well, I do not hear any real feeling and emotion in classical music, unfortunately. But when a black guy sits on the back porch with his guitar out of tune and starts singing the blues, I do get appropriate feelings and emotions. Maybe classical music is true and ultimate art, but my blood is still cold anyway after listening to it. Maybe I just need different feelings and emotions, who knows. Nice topic to discuss. I look at my shelves full of music and really do not want to put the "art" tag on it. Art is something too abstract to me. That's my feeling. Maybe I'll be able to formulate it in a better way someday.

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: May 8, 2010 19:03

AP
kleermaker

Well, I do not hear any real feeling and emotion in classical music, unfortunately. But when a black guy sits on the back porch with his guitar out of tune and starts singing the blues, I do get appropriate feelings and emotions. Maybe classical music is true and ultimate art, but my blood is still cold anyway after listening to it. Maybe I just need different feelings and emotions, who knows. Nice topic to discuss. I look at my shelves full of music and really do not want to put the "art" tag on it. Art is something too abstract to me. That's my feeling. Maybe I'll be able to formulate it in a better way someday.

Sometimes it's also a matter of familiarity. It's funny that many lovers of classical music aren't able to hear any feelings or emotions in the music of the Stones. I'm a very limited guy, but I fortunately can hear feelings and emotions in the Stones' music as well as in Mozart's music.

The arts aren't that abstract at all: music, painting, sculpture, literature, theatre, movie. Sometimes even palpable, thus very concrete instead of abstract. Well, I forgot one special art: Dutch footballwinking smiley.

As for classical music: listen regularly to this piece (one of my 'favourites' on YT). Maybe you'll say some day: Yes!! The same feelings and emotions as I can hear in the blues and in the best Stones' music! Then a new world has opened itself for you.

Date: May 8, 2010 19:20

kleermaker

Well, I forgot one special art: Dutch footballwinking smiley.

Well, one Dutch coach left our national team recently, and another one seems to be heading it now for huge money. Not sure if I like it that much, though that latter coach brought the UEFA cup to my hometown...

Thanks for the youtube link anyway.

Posted by: baxlap ()
Date: May 8, 2010 19:28

Forget about best or worst: what's the Stones' most fair to middling album?

Posted by: rootsman ()
Date: May 8, 2010 19:47

baxlap
Forget about best or worst: what's the Stones' most fair to middling album?

Black And Blue?

Posted by: colonial ()
Date: May 8, 2010 22:09

shortfatfanny
No,we shouldn´t.
It´s most times amazing and interesting.

I prefer the dumbest "best of" / "worst..." thread towards the neverendingwigandbodypartsthreads...
shortfatfanny..Your right there Mate..especially that bit about *threads towards the never ending wig and body parts*couldnt of said it better myself what a lot of nonsence that is..how would ya think Mick or anyone else would feel come think of that if they were to see all that silly nonsence on the internet about themselves for the whole world to see..and on a fan club site of all places.

Posted by: doubledoor ()
Date: May 8, 2010 22:31

This is easily a top 30 thread

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1463
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home