Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Got Live If You Want It E.P. 1965
Posted by: vudicus ()
Date: February 19, 2009 18:20

I hadn't played this one in a while, so I thought I'd give it a spin.

I'd totally forgotten what an amazing record this is.
Great performance with loads of energy, good sound considering theres hundreds of screaming girls in the audience!
Far superior to the live Lp with the same name from 1966 in my opinion.

Anyone else care to comment?

Re: Got Live If You Want It E.P. 1965
Posted by: alimente ()
Date: February 19, 2009 19:14

together with YaYas my all-time favourite official Stones live recordings - and if you add the outtakes (Down The Road Apiece, Time Is On My Side & Everybody Needs Somebody To Love full length version) it gets even better!

Posted by: vancouver ()
Date: February 19, 2009 20:03

[www.sendspace.com]

RS_UK Tour March 1965 3 Tx.flac

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: February 19, 2009 20:36

I love it - still gets the occasional spin. Very raw and exciting and is probably as good a document of the Brian-era live sound we'll ever hear.

All 3 of the Stones EP's are fantastic and worth tracking down. I actually paid very little for mine.

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: February 19, 2009 21:14

Like you said,vudicus-I wonder why the 60s live album carrying the same name couldnt be up to this quality balance wise?? Even the 65 Paris bcast is better than the "Got Live" lp IMO!

Posted by: Sohoe ()
Date: February 19, 2009 21:19

I find the Got Live LP more or less unlistenable.

The EP is brilliant and along with the Paris material it's a great document of what they were like in concert in the mid-sixties. Just too bad there's so little of it.

Posted by: Barn Owl ()
Date: February 19, 2009 21:22

Absolutely superb!

I never get tired of listening to this EP.

Arguably THE most atmospheric live recordings ever made by anyone.

Posted by: scaffer ()
Date: February 19, 2009 21:24

I bought my copy of the 'Got Live' EP new at Viscount Records (yes, Viscount, not Discount Records) on El Camino Real in northern CA around 1971. It had sat in a discount bin at the front counter by the cash register for AT LEAST a year. It cost $2.99. They were also desperately trying to get rid of the studio EP with 'Poison Ivy' and 'Bye Bye Johnny' on it. Same price.

I finally saved the cash and purchased both, and wasn't sure I wasn't a fool for doing it. Great audio quality, BTW.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-02-19 21:25 by scaffer.

Posted by: DaveG ()
Date: February 19, 2009 21:40

This album captures the essence of what the Stones were and what they were all about in the mid-60's. The sheer energy grabs me every time I listen to it. I wore it out when I bought the LP when it first came out.

Posted by: stone-relics ()
Date: February 19, 2009 21:49

The I'm Movin' On, is just a killer...a KILLLER!

JR

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-02-20 13:06 by stone-relics.

Posted by: LOGIE ()
Date: February 19, 2009 23:17

I like the bit in Roy Carr's Illustrated Record where, according to Glyn Johns, he says that they, "...just slung one microphone over the balcony on a length of cable and let both the tapes and the Stones roll!".

Classic stuff!!!

Posted by: texas fan ()
Date: February 19, 2009 23:18

Yep. It's very good and the outtakes are too.

Date: February 19, 2009 23:26

LOGIE
I like the bit in Roy Carr's Illustrated Record where, according to Glyn Johns, he says that they, "...just slung one microphone over the balcony on a length of cable and let both the tapes and the Stones roll!".

Classic stuff!!!

yeah, and an early classic example for the Stones' (or their PR people!) excellent skills in building up myths...!

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: February 20, 2009 09:07

EPs is brilliant stuff. I also got Stones one with Money and Poison Ivy (isn't it another version than from album Around and Around).
This live one had two songs on the charts in Sweden, both on flip side...

2 1 2 0

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: February 20, 2009 09:27

Coincidentally I was at a friend's house this evening and heard DECEMBER'S CHILDREN -- and lamented that this ep wasn't available intact/ in order on cd (except for that silly expensive box set awhile back). What a shame that "We Want The Stones/Everybody Needs Somebody To Love/Pain In My Heart" has yet to be released in the US! (or on a common CD release)

Posted by: Matt ()
Date: February 20, 2009 09:32

Where can I get, or at least hear the outtakes???

Matt

Date: February 20, 2009 09:35

Glam Descendant
What a shame that "We Want The Stones/Everybody Needs Somebody To Love/Pain In My Heart" has yet to be released in the US! (or on a common CD release)

Yep - well, this is the problem with Abcko. It is also a travesty tha the The Rolling Stones and Rollling Stones N0 2 are unavailable on CD: the latter never has been!

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: February 20, 2009 12:57

So help me understand.

Assuming I wanted to create an exact cd copy of the E.P., which are the correct sources from the CD catalog?

C

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: February 20, 2009 14:58

After Ya Ya's, its - by some distance - the second greatest official live release of the band's career.

Date: February 20, 2009 15:14

Gazza
After Ya Ya's, its - by some distance - the second greatest official live release of the band's career.

Agreed - Route 66 is just pure pumping adrenalin and excitement: hearing it on Decembers Children just isn't the same. It needs to be heard in the context of the original EP.

I advise everyone to track it down and if necessary, invest in a turntable just for the purpose of giving it a spin!

Posted by: saltoftheearth ()
Date: February 20, 2009 16:47

LOGIE

Classic stuff!!!

Yeah but you forgot to mention the part where Carr says that the quality of the recordings leaves some doubts if there are real live recordings. I also doubt it although I just love that EP and the additional recordings (thanks, folks, on the IORR Hot Stuff side). If these should be studio recordings mixed with applause and audience reaction they managed to recreate the sound of their concerts.

Posted by: Tseverin ()
Date: February 20, 2009 17:00

It's more exciting than Ya Yas though obviously more primitive musically. It's Alright and I'm Moving On are thrillng in a raising the hairs on the back of your neck-type way. Only a handful of other live songs have this effect on me; Ball & Chain by Janis at Monterey is one that comes to mind.

I'm now excited by the thought of these outtakes that have been mentioned. What boot(s) are they available on?

Posted by: KSIE ()
Date: February 20, 2009 17:16

Glam Descendant
Coincidentally I was at a friend's house this evening and heard DECEMBER'S CHILDREN -- and lamented that this ep wasn't available intact/ in order on cd (except for that silly expensive box set awhile back). What a shame that "We Want The Stones/Everybody Needs Somebody To Love/Pain In My Heart" has yet to be released in the US! (or on a common CD release)

Might not be satisfactory to you Glam, but you can go to Amazon.com and download 256kbps MP3s individually for 99 cents from the "silly expensive" (I agree) Singles box set.

Date: February 20, 2009 19:47

Tseverin
It's more exciting than Ya Yas though obviously more primitive musically. It's Alright and I'm Moving On are thrillng in a raising the hairs on the back of your neck-type way. Only a handful of other live songs have this effect on me; Ball & Chain by Janis at Monterey is one that comes to mind.

I'm now excited by the thought of these outtakes that have been mentioned. What boot(s) are they available on?

the outtakes are on quite some boots but the best one is VGPs Got Live If You Want It which has the original tracks and the outtakes seamlessly mixed together (as if theyre from one - great - master tape, thinking of it, well, thats probably what they are!) whereas on other releases, there are sound differences between the tracks. funny though that although its from VGP it does not mention VGP anywhere on the sleeve.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-02-20 19:48 by alimente.

Posted by: thkbeercan ()
Date: February 20, 2009 22:08

anyone know where I can download a CLEAN skip-free copy of the mono version of the American LP
"Got LIVE If You Want It"?

Posted by: Tseverin ()
Date: February 20, 2009 23:01

Thanks for the tip Alimente, I will commence the search.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1531
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home