Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
I can't believe those who don't like or love SHINE A LIGHT
Posted by: Shezeboss ()
Date: February 6, 2009 20:38

I can't believe those who don't like or love SHINE A LIGHT. I dreamt it, and, Scorcese made it. The greatest rock film of all time. If you love Springsteen or AC/DC I understand you can't like or love it. All people I know who saw it found it incredible !!!

Re: I can't believe those who don't like or love SHINE A LIGHT
Posted by: T&A ()
Date: February 6, 2009 20:38

believe me

Posted by: john nicholls ()
Date: February 6, 2009 20:57

Believe me Shezeboss it could have been so much better. All the girls standing at the front of the stage? Yuk!!! Go watch the DVD The last waltz by the Band. Now that Could be the greatest rock film of all time.

John Nicholls

Posted by: ablett ()
Date: February 6, 2009 21:24

"All the girls standing at the front of the stage? Yuk!!!"

All in all that really is not a big deal is it??/

What would you prefer, a few fat pensioners?

The films pretty good and doesn't deserve the continuos thrashing it gets on this board.

But then, if present posters were to be believed the end is nigh anyhow....

Posted by: LSTNT ()
Date: February 6, 2009 21:24

john nicholls
All the girls standing at the front of the stage? Yuk!!!
John Nicholls

When the hell will you people get off that bandwagon, they are barely noticable. The film rocked. The Stones are not 30 years old any more, you need to get over it.

Date: February 6, 2009 21:28

Totally agree!

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: February 6, 2009 21:34

The movie gets a B- score at most.

As usual, had they completely erased the 2nd half with the warhorses...I would've been a bit more impressed. Or at least separate the songs so that the 2nd half isn't just a big block of warhorses that really mesh into 1 large song. The first half is glorious...up until YGTS.

Had Keith (or the editors) took out some of his leads and solos...that would've helped tremendously. I was shocked, in "She Was Hot" Keith does that one noodling lick like 4 times in the whole song. Does he not know he is repeating this lick only within seconds of each other?? Had he continued to play more rhythm instead of taking solos away from Ronnie--who is most defintely equipped to solo--Keith's performance would have been more CONCRETE. But he weaves in and out way too lazily.

The beauty of Keith not playing chords anymore is that the only thing he needs to know is the key of the song and he'll just noodle around that scale. Chords are too much to remember, apparently.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: February 6, 2009 22:18

I give the film an overall C- at best.

B for stage presence.
C for actual performance.
B for setlist
A for camera work (except extreme close-ups of Micks face - scary).
B for historical footage (should have incorporated more)
F for using phony extra's ( looks sterile and unreal)
A for Buddy Guy
B for Jack White
B - for Christina Aguilera
F for including Bill and Hillary Clinton
F for phony/contrived Marty stress over setlist

Posted by: socialdistortion ()
Date: February 6, 2009 22:23

I was there and when they marched in those bimbos my heade xploded. They had no idea about ANY song as they were too young -- and in focusing on them from time to time they were bored out of their skulls and did nothing half the time. I think they would have preferred being in Saks 5th Avenue with their rich moms.

They were TOLD to clap, and yell and pretend (to them) that The Stones were Duran Duran - or something like that. So THE BIMBOS GET THE BEST SEATS. Thanks, Stones!

Figures.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: February 6, 2009 22:27

Yeah but which was ya fave bimbo...????
The 5th one in on Keith's side was one smokin' babe ....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: socialdistortion ()
Date: February 6, 2009 22:29

..the one with the vacant "look"? (Oh no, that won;t help -- that description applies to ALL of them)

Posted by: Strike ()
Date: February 6, 2009 22:32

It`s crap, but they´re the Rolling Stones. Please give us one more ( last ) sign of life.

Posted by: filstan ()
Date: February 6, 2009 22:41

The film was entertaining, but it could have been much better. This topic has been heavily debated, and I don't see the opposing camps changing their opinions at this point. I am happy for those who love the movie, but I side with the detractors and much of their argument.

While I still love the Rolling Stones as they are, the band sadly appears to be in decline. SAL reveals this. This is just how the cycle works. I will always be a huge fan, but this movie was filmed at the wrong time given the negative affects of Keith's head injury. If Keith's playing can come back strong, and Ronnie can get his act together the Stones can roll on. Trust me I think it would be wonderful to see this happen, but really I think it all rides on the guitar players.

Date: February 6, 2009 22:45

Yes I know. Some people are never appy! I love this film.

Posted by: frankie ()
Date: February 6, 2009 22:57

Well, if Jack White hadn't @#$%& up Shine a light, If Aguilera's performance would have been without sound it might have been a good movie. great camerawork though.

Date: February 6, 2009 23:20

frankie
Well, if Jack White hadn't @#$%& up Shine a light, If Aguilera's performance would have been without sound it might have been a good movie. great camerawork though.

Aguilera - well I would!!

Posted by: oldkr ()
Date: February 6, 2009 23:28

socialdistortion
I was there and when they marched in those bimbos my heade xploded. They had no idea about ANY song as they were too young -- and in focusing on them from time to time they were bored out of their skulls and did nothing half the time. I think they would have preferred being in Saks 5th Avenue with their rich moms.

They were TOLD to clap, and yell and pretend (to them) that The Stones were Duran Duran - or something like that. So THE BIMBOS GET THE BEST SEATS. Thanks, Stones!

Figures.

i was at the front, there werent seats to be had- they removed them. It was a movie set not a gig. that is the crucial difference that most of the bashers always seem to miss. And I dont care how authentic it would be I dont wanna see some fat old guy with a beer in a plastic cup in the front row!

OLDKR

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: February 6, 2009 23:41

It was a movie set not a gig. .... Correct

ROCKMAN

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: February 6, 2009 23:42

ablett
"All the girls standing at the front of the stage? Yuk!!!"

What would you prefer, a few fat pensioners?

NO JUST REAL STONES FANS, we were sold out by the stones and marty on this one, DIEHARDS GET SCREWED AGAIN should be the name of the next tour

Date: February 6, 2009 23:44

last waltz was a movie and a gig...how was this any diff?

Posted by: Shezeboss ()
Date: February 6, 2009 23:47

the last waltz was just shit (i.m.o)

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: February 6, 2009 23:49

It's good and it's bad. It's not GREAT. There is no way it's great. THEY were not very good, so the film only shows that.

Date: February 6, 2009 23:50

Shezeboss
the last waltz was just shit (i.m.o)

but it was a movie and gig, opinions on its shittiness notwithstanding

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: February 7, 2009 00:10

If you can't believe those who don't like or love Shine A Light then I guess you love every single thing no matter what, they never have a bad gig or song and you would love to hear Emotional Rescue live and there is nothing wrong with Keith at all!

Posted by: Loudei ()
Date: February 7, 2009 00:18

There is only a few moments in the film that are gold...

1. As tears go by - probably the best Stones performance of any song in decades.
2. Aguileras curves and voice.
3. Keith's rare interview clips (can't find them anywhere.

Moments that prove they should retire or moments that made me cringe or cover my eyes and ears.

1.Keith's guitar playing
2.Ron's guitar playing
3.Mick's ridiculous moves

Date: February 7, 2009 00:46

"NO JUST REAL STONES FANS, we were sold out by the stones and marty on this one, DIEHARDS GET SCREWED AGAIN should be the name of the next tour"

Gimme a friggin break! No one gives two flying flugs about so called 'die-hard' fans except the one's who sit on this board on a friday night and COMPLAIN about a few bits of hot totty at a gig!

Date: February 7, 2009 00:48

hmmm...i think Diehards Get Screwed Again has a certain ring to it - album/tour name. very stonesy-sounding. title track could be played as a medley with ONNYA....

Date: February 7, 2009 00:49

T&A and THAT unique sense of humour again.....

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: February 7, 2009 01:12

ablett
"NO JUST REAL STONES FANS, we were sold out by the stones and marty on this one, DIEHARDS GET SCREWED AGAIN should be the name of the next tour"

Gimme a friggin break! No one gives two flying flugs about so called 'die-hard' fans except the one's who sit on this board on a friday night and COMPLAIN about a few bits of hot totty at a gig!

me, you posted here before i did and if i remember right it was still friday then also, it was a disgrace what they did with those gigs with those airheads who couldnt name a stones song if it were told to them, GIVE ME A FRIGIN BREAK DUDE how can you defend that???????

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-02-07 01:13 by melillo.

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: February 7, 2009 01:20

filstan
The film was entertaining, but it could have been much better. This topic has been heavily debated, and I don't see the opposing camps changing their opinions at this point. I am happy for those who love the movie, but I side with the detractors and much of their argument.

While I still love the Rolling Stones as they are, the band sadly appears to be in decline. SAL reveals this. This is just how the cycle works. I will always be a huge fan, but this movie was filmed at the wrong time given the negative affects of Keith's head injury. If Keith's playing can come back strong, and Ronnie can get his act together the Stones can roll on. Trust me I think it would be wonderful to see this happen, but really I think it all rides on the guitar players.

That's very much as I see it too!!

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1064
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home