Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4
Re: How Many Different Versions Of Exile ...
Posted by: FreeBird ()
Date: April 24, 2010 15:23

Erik_Snow
It's the new tracks that I'd be interested in spinning on the turntable.
In all likelihood, the new overdubs were recorded digitally. It makes no sense to release digital recordings on vinyl.

Re: Give Me ALL Your Money
Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: April 26, 2010 16:44

swiss
Gazza
The Stones - for quite a while now - probably make more money from merchandise than they do from recorded music.

For all the promotion and hype around the Exile reissue, it almost certainly wont translate into record sales. They're probably hoping to make up for that in revenue from offshoots such as merchandise.

its still a nice collection of merchandise.

Its the latter day rs.com kitsch, where theyre rapidly approaching the stage where I'm expecting them to try to sell a dog turd that has a Stones tongue on it, that I find incredibly tacky and tasteless

I think they will sell records from it -- thy mighty not make a killing off the music, but they'll see some coin.

I have no opinion about the merch except much of it is pretty cool -- it could be much much tackier. So, although there's maybe an excess of choices, at least it's not gotten to the dog-turd-with-the tongue-wall-hanging level yet winking smiley

It's a matter of time if this is anything to go by...

[rollingstones.shop.bravadousa.com]

Re: ALL THE EXILE SETS FOR PRE-ORDER ...
Posted by: Pelle ()
Date: April 26, 2010 17:30

Oh pretty many of those prices were a little bit too much for me.. I guess I just have to take a huge bite in the turd and keep on smiling, I want some of those boxes smiling smiley

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: April 26, 2010 17:36

Some people will just have to sell their dogs, or at least let them freeze.

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: April 26, 2010 17:53

FreeBird
Erik_Snow
In all likelihood, the new overdubs were recorded digitally. It makes no sense to release digital recordings on vinyl.

confused smiley
Your assumption doesn't make sense! please elaborate.

ABB is a complete child of the digital domain, from start to finish - yet it got released on vinyl.

PMS is out on vinyl - some even tried (in vain) to get it.

Posted by: straycat58 ()
Date: April 26, 2010 19:08

Just ordered my DeLuxe Road case. Orders will not be processed before May 15.

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: April 26, 2010 19:14

confused smiley

oDD to merge recent the thread(s) about Exile merchandise with the thread(s) Exile, the album/ Stones music. IMO.

Date: April 26, 2010 22:13

open-g
You might want to keep the entire signal chain analog (although I'd still argue that open reel tapes or good compact cassettes are a better choice), but you can't do that anymore once the music enters the digital domain, so why bother releasing it on vinyl? It offers no technical advantages and it doesn't have any nostalgic value either.

As for those other releases - they were a bad idea, but it's no excuse to perpetuatue the practice.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: April 26, 2010 23:15

I love the Keith shirt with the 72 tongue...but why only 2 sizes?
I stopped being able to wear large when I got married...

Posted by: sweet neo con ()
Date: April 27, 2010 04:34

sorry if this has been mentioned but....according to the stones merchandise page...the
vinyl EXILE only lists the first 14 songs.

[exileonmainst.shop.bravadousa.com]

do you think this was simply a mistake or did they
put 14 songs on one LP for $30. ??

IORR............but I like it!

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: April 27, 2010 04:40

FreeBird
open-g
You might want to keep the entire signal chain analog (although I'd still argue that open reel tapes or good compact cassettes are a better choice), but you can't do that anymore once the music enters the digital domain, so why bother releasing it on vinyl? It offers no technical advantages and it doesn't have any nostalgic value either.

As for those other releases - they were a bad idea, but it's no excuse to perpetuatue the practice.

I disagree. Vinyl is still an incredible media alternative. And the fact it is analog means you get more depth in the sound. Digital CDs with bianary response means a limited frequency, which is especially noticeable on classical recording and Jazz. But also on my rock albums they sound far richer and warmer than their CD counterparts. Vinyl has made a big comeback for a good reason, it sounds wonderful!

Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: April 27, 2010 07:35

FreeBird
Erik_Snow
Ry Cooder did just that with "Bop 'til You Drop" in 1979 and was the first to do so. He at least thought it was a good idea...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-04-27 07:38 by ChrisM.

GIVE ME ALL YOUR MONEY
Date: April 27, 2010 09:04

PLUNDERED
                                                                  THEIR
                                                                      SOUL

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2010-04-27 15:08 by schillid.

Posted by: folon ()
Date: April 27, 2010 09:42

Super nice. Any chance to order these things in Europe? (I live in Germany)

Or do I have to order from the US? (at least 20% additional cost for customs :-(

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: April 27, 2010 10:18

I can't decide which one to go for! confused smiley

Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: April 27, 2010 11:16

I should stop watching these photos ...IshouldstopwatchingthesephotosIshouldstopwatchingthesephotos

Posted by: Addicted ()
Date: April 27, 2010 13:08

71Tele
Good God, they should include the keys to Nellcote (the real ones).
Yeah! Great idea...
But be carefull, the place is now owned by a Russian billionaire... Get the picture?
He has all kinds of watch dogs and gorillas.

Date: April 27, 2010 14:23

whitem8
I disagree. Vinyl is still an incredible media alternative. And the fact it is analog means you get more depth in the sound. Digital CDs with bianary response means a limited frequency, which is especially noticeable on classical recording and Jazz. But also on my rock albums they sound far richer and warmer than their CD counterparts. Vinyl has made a big comeback for a good reason, it sounds wonderful!
You're entitled to your opinion (even though I see things differently), but if you don't like digital audio at all (and that's what you seem to be saying here), releasing digital recordings on vinyl isn't going to please you either.

As for me, I'd never want to go back to the inferior [tick] inferior [tick] inferior [tick] inferior [tick] inferior [tick] inferior [tick] inferior [tick] inferior [tick] inferior sound of vinyl or any of its predecessors. I like open reel and compact cassette recorders, though. I love analog audio, as long as it's not of the mechanical kind.

Posted by: Ricky ()
Date: April 27, 2010 15:02

3 "Art Licks" prints (hand numbered 1-1000 and one litho is signed by one member Mick, Keith, or Charlie)

I think I'm missing someone here...

Re: GIVE ME ALL YOUR MONEY
Date: April 27, 2010 15:13

If they're like the Stones during Exile...

... then the dice are loaded

Date: April 27, 2010 15:25

... and the shirts are torn and frayed

Gazza
... theyre rapidly approaching the stage where I'm expecting them to try to sell a dog turd that has a Stones tongue on it, that I find incredibly tacky and tasteless.

Yep... they'll call it "Turd On The Run"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-04-27 16:06 by schillid.

Date: April 27, 2010 15:48

FreeBird
whitem8
You're entitled to your opinion (even though I see things differently), but if you don't like digital audio at all (and that's what you seem to be saying here), releasing digital recordings on vinyl isn't going to please you either.

As for me, I'd never want to go back to the inferior [tick] inferior [tick] inferior [tick] inferior [tick] inferior [tick] inferior [tick] inferior [tick] inferior [tick] inferior sound of vinyl or any of its predecessors. I like open reel and compact cassette recorders, though. I love analog audio, as long as it's not of the mechanical kind.

Nope I never said I don't like digital. And that is mostly what I listen to. But I can also separate ease of access with deep sound, and I will stand by a pristine vinyl sound on a great system over digital. Any day. But yeah, I have my tons of CDs and external hard drive crammed packed with digital music. And I do like very much the 24bit Beatles collection, probably some of the best sounding digital music you can get. But every time I go back and compare many of my Japanese vinyl with the same CD, the vinyl in most cases sounds better. There are some exceptions, but also some dramatic revelations. Black and Blue sounds so much warmer on vinyl. Exile sounds great and I am anxious to hear the new vinyl. Love You Live is almost an entirely different disc on vinyl than on CD. Undercover is raw and vicious on vinyl. Some Girls has far more punch and bottom on vinyl. IORR another one that is fantastic on Japanese vinyl. Goats Head Soup sounds better on the Universal re-master, and so does the new Get Yer Ya Ya's Out. But wow, The Rolling Stones Now and most the early stuff sounds way better on vinyl than on CD. In fact it is almost an embarrassment how bad many of those early CDs sound compared the Japanese vinyl.
A few others that are incredible on vinyl. The Who's Quadrophenia is incredible on vinyl. And all of Bowie's early 70's material is far superior on vinyl. And Harrison's All Things Must Pass is sublime on vinyl.
Yeah, so you are right all down to taste, and I have my digital treasure trove, but man give me a album with cool artwork and a good pressing over a CD any day. But damn it they sure don't ship well! And I miss my collection that is still in the US and I am leaning more and more towards shipping them to Jakarta.
Oh and about the tick tick your are referring to. Yes, that can be the time when a record can be annoying, but when you have a pristine copy that is on a top of the line system with a high end needle, wow, stunning. And you know, the good thing about digital is that you can have the pristine digital landscape to save the wear and tear on the albums, but when the craving for a fine dinning experience comes on, light the candle, put that hefty slab of cardboard in your lap and open it up and sit back to listen on a tube system. Forget it, that is pure rock and roll.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-04-27 15:53 by whitem8.

Date: April 27, 2010 15:54

Is this thread about

(a) Digital vs. analog sound reproduction
(b) Rolling Stones music (specifically Exile On Main Street)
(c) RS merchandising
(d) All of the above

The answer is (d), according to the forum moderator.

Date: April 27, 2010 15:58

Oh come on man, it is interesting, and it is all related to the deluxe versions coming out on vinyl and CD...so just flow with it man.

Date: April 27, 2010 16:04

I'm just saying...

The posts in this thread were combined from several different interesting threads about Exile. The threads were about different specific aspects of the new Exile release.

Combining the threads made it confusing to stay with any one topic here, IMO

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-04-27 16:07 by schillid.

Date: April 27, 2010 16:13

Date: April 27, 2010 16:15

And I realize that and have made several contributions to this post about the deluxe sets, and this is another comment about the vinyl Exile and the joy of collecting vinyl. And it is one of the fun things about posting on here when you feel inspired to add substance to the conversation. That's all I am saying.

Posted by: Massimo68 ()
Date: April 27, 2010 16:58

The 125$ fan pack is just a cardboard box...not much interested in buying it now.
Thanks for the pictures Schillid, the 125 bucks are better in my wallet now !

Date: April 27, 2010 17:34

Actually it is not just a "cardboard" box. From the website:
This high end, exclusive box set includes:

• Deluxe edition CD of “Exile on Main St.” with 10 unreleased tracks

• The Rolling Stones - 1972 North American Tour Book by Bob Gruen; shot during the last two shows of the tour in New York's Madison Square Garden; Legendary photographer, Bob Gruen captures the band at the peak of the tour with never before seen photos

• Recreation of the vintage early-Licks “72 Tour T-Shirt” sold on tour- exclusive to this edition

• 24in x 36in (folded) replica poster of original promo Ad from “Exile on Main St.”

• 2 replica backstage passes

• 8 replica ticket stub set of various concerts on the tour

• 3 replicas of Mick, Keith, and Charlie's 1972 STP laminate badges with custom STP lanyard

• A replica '72 hotel room keychain from LA's Continental Hyatt House where band stayed

Weight: 7 pounds
Dimensions: 12.5in W x 9.5in H x 6.5in

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: April 27, 2010 17:41

schillid
I'm just saying...

The posts in this thread were combined from several different interesting threads about Exile. The threads were about different specific aspects of the new Exile release.

Combining the threads made it confusing to stay with any one topic here, IMO

I quite agree and I'd be mighty p'd off if all the threads in the Ratbag Boogie were put into one thread just because they're all about Rolling Stones guitars.

same goes for the Track Talk series. wouldn't that be a mighty mess?

now anyone shouting 'merger, merger, merger' should have a close look first!
titles may sound similar, but the subject isn't.

also anyone starting a new thread should think carefully of the subject and headline title.

...and now we have another subject added in this thread.eye rolling smiley
well it ain't easy, ya know.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1118
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home