Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Dead Flowers - Making bets on Kentucky Derby Day?
Posted by: StonesAustria ()
Date: April 23, 2010 03:00

With less than 10 days to wait for Kentucky Derby Day 2010 (May 1st) allow the question: Does anybody know the Stones´relation to this famous horse race? Why does it appear in "Dead Flowers" and have you heard of any specific meaning of "making bets" at KDD? What is Your interpretation of this line in DF? Stones experts, thank You for Your advice!

Do the girls still scream, when you perform on stage? KR: Not on stage, but when I perform, yeah.

Re: Dead Flowers - Making bets on Kentucky Derby Day?
Posted by: nonfilter ()
Date: April 23, 2010 03:05

Silk-upholstered chair, rose-pink Cadillac, rich folks that you know, attending the Kentucky Derby, he's talking about her being high-class while he's in the basement with a needle and spoon. I live in Kentucky and saw this song performed live at Churchill Downs in 06. The crowd went crazy after that line.

[www.non-filters.com]

Posted by: Dear Doctor ()
Date: April 23, 2010 03:23

non - filter is correct.

only other horse race song I recall by them is "lucky in love' Mick solo. Charlie breeds race dogs I believe.

as for the derby the Dr is leaning towards Sidney's Candy, but the favorite may actually win for a change

Posted by: mattleeuk ()
Date: April 23, 2010 03:41

My understanding is that the inspiration for the lyric came from a friend of Keith's who was a bookmaker called Charlie who lived in LA and drove a pink cadillac.

Posted by: colonial ()
Date: April 23, 2010 04:09

Dear Doctor..Both Charlie and his wife are well known breeders of thoroughbred Arabian horses and I think Appaloosas as well.Thats one of the things Charlie checks out while hes on tour sometimes is the horse bleeding in some of these countries that are well known for it.A bit like our Queen.

Posted by: crossfire deux ()
Date: April 23, 2010 05:19

Might add that Mick referenced the "sacred hedge(s)"-before DF song (line of bushes/hedges that accenuate the stretch at Churchill) at that '06 show (stage was before hedgegrow) as noted in a somewhat famous boot by Drake. Rained like hell that night as I remember.

Posted by: crossfire deux ()
Date: April 23, 2010 05:37

BTW- Really "making a bet on Kentucky Derby Day"???? Gotta be the favorite... ESKENDEREYA. And don't short sell CONVEYANCE---Nice Price if the horse wins!

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: April 23, 2010 09:33

>> Charlie breeds race dogs I believe <<

er ... the Wattses do keep dogs, but also own a stable.
as far as i know they're into show horses, not racehorses.
Ronnie is the one who's into racehorses, no?

and the line about making bets on Kentucky Derby Day is simply about making bets on Kentucky Derby Day -
a traditional "high society" activity, as opposed to what the Stones were up to :E

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-04-23 09:49 by with sssoul.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: April 23, 2010 09:46

Wouldn't it be a spin if a horse named Dead Flowers actually won the Kentucky Derby ..........

ROCKMAN

Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: April 23, 2010 11:10

With Sssoul
a traditional "high society" activity, as opposed to what the Stones were up to :E

Or at least would like us to believe they were up to.

Would you say that most Stones songs that were written in the first-person view have
autobiographic elements in them?

(sorry to take this thread into a different direction, but this question came up).

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1280
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home