Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: Exile preview on Amazon.co.uk
Posted by: Bjorn ()
Date: April 23, 2010 18:30

I think Following the river is sooo beautiful...

Posted by: stoneswashed77 ()
Date: April 23, 2010 20:28

i like all of the new songs but could have done without the 2 alternate versions.
and keiths vocals are just so awful bad, i canĀ“t listen to that.

Posted by: Amused ()
Date: April 23, 2010 20:31

I can't listen to them too - it's still unreleased!

Posted by: swiss ()
Date: April 23, 2010 22:00

I love that the Stones released these 30-second samples to whet people's appetites. That's what it's doing for me!

Amused
I can't listen to them too - it's still unreleased!

Wondering what you mean you can't listen to them? do you mean the audio player doesn't work in your country? or maybe you personally don't wanna hear them yet? or do you think it's unfair to have a sneak preview?

I adore Keith's vocals on Soul Survivor. It is going to be so interesting to hear what Keith's original lyrics were -- clearly they're really different from the studio version. can't wait to hear how Mick most likely improved them. Turned Keith's initial vision from a rough sketch into a brilliant song.

So excited!

Date: April 23, 2010 23:15

no swiss, I meant I can't hear the full tracks - no one of us can! previews are working great for me smiling smiley
it was a comment for stoneswashed77 not to judge by 30secs...

Posted by: redsock ()
Date: April 23, 2010 23:27

I would like to wait also, but I am not that strong.
That 30 second bit of ADTL at Amazon.UK -- OMG!!!!!

(Are we sure it's only 4:09? Maybe it's a typo and should read 44:09?)

Date: April 23, 2010 23:33

Oh and isn't the Keith version of SS just a guide vocal with semi-dummy lyrics?

Date: April 24, 2010 00:31

redsock

don't know -- is there a story? would love to hear it!

and ADTL - extremely exciting!

Amused -- aaah, I see, sorry I didn't understand. totally agree -- these are just teasers, but what great teasers!

- swiss

Posted by: slew ()
Date: April 24, 2010 04:41

I am very excited!! The vocals on the outakes are interesting

Posted by: Beelyboy ()
Date: April 24, 2010 07:50

Gazza
swiss
First impression is that -for me- soundwise the reissue may be a bit brighter than I prefer (with any music). But the remastering and remixing will make it possible to hear things that weren't prominent on the original. For that, as a Stones' geek, I am grateful and excited to hear more.

The original Exile album has only been remastered, NOT remixed. Same as all the other UMG reissues.

here's where i still have high hopes actually. i'm total suspicious, and with good reason, of a LOT of remastering jobs on various pop product that highlight frequencies inappropriately or without regard to original sonics being preserved; a subjective engineer usually crams level on highs to the point where it's fatiguing, even tho certain 'hidden' or subtle elements, like say NOW LEAD TAMBOURINE NO THANK YOU VERY MUCH etc... it's hard to tell with computer fidelity...but the amazon clips on mp3s of whatever relative accuracy to actual cd product....sound flipping GREAT to me thus far....which is, for me, an awful exciting thing considering what the heck is ON this release....new and old...
i have really high hopes for the new remastering job...when i get the cd and listen on a reliable good system i'm familiar with a LOT of product on....will be the true test...and i won't make a decision without living with it for awhile..
but man i'm gonna ante up... the bass sounds creamy wondrous...better than ever...drums sound crisp...can't really analyze further without a lotta new listening...but dang i'm gonna enjoy the trip.... sounds purty righteous, even exciting, bass better than ever? anybody hearing this too?

beelyboy...Think About it

Posted by: James Kirk ()
Date: April 25, 2010 04:12

I think the comparison between "Plundered My Soul" and "Free as a Bird" is a fair one, but I think the better comparison is to the "Tatoo You" era.

In a sense PMS is the "Start Me Up" or "Waiting on a Friend" of 2010.

I pretty much look at it as a completely new tune. They had the concept for it in the early 70's and they went back and completed it.

What's more important in the comparison to "Free as a Bird" is that all the orignal artists are alive to complete the work they started many years ago. I don't see where it's really a big deal. This type of thing happens a lot with different acts. I hope they do more of it in the future.

I guess the only argument that can be made is that it should have been put on a new album since it is essentially a new song? Is this really an Exile track is the bigger question.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: April 25, 2010 06:24

I like Mick's new line in Following The River - "my cards are on the table".

Stunning.

Date: April 25, 2010 06:28

Ah shit! Loving Cup, Soul Survivor and Good Time Women are gonna be worth the entire double album alone! It's great to hear them finally like that. Big difference in the sound of the vocals too. How funny.

Posted by: MissNBrian ()
Date: April 25, 2010 07:38

akgameboy
Awesome! thumbs up I have a disease....and the only cure is more Exile.

hmmmm, sounds like we both have the same disease grinning smiley

HURRY UP MAY 18th!!

"Doctor please, some more men please,
To Cotchford Farm, out by the pool...

What a drag it is they couldn't revive him"

Brian Jones 2/28/42 - 7/2/69

Date: April 25, 2010 09:18

swiss
redsock

I think "guide vocal" was mentioned in the Rolling Stone article, maybe from Was.

Posted by: Lorenz ()
Date: April 25, 2010 11:21

skipstone
I like Mick's new line in Following The River - "my cards are on the table".

Stunning.

on what solo song does he use it as well? it's something like "my cards are on the table, you can stand up and walk away...or stay..."

Date: April 25, 2010 13:06

i think it's "hang onto me tonight" off WS.

Date: April 25, 2010 17:30

It is Hang On To Me Tonight.

Date: April 25, 2010 23:23

redsock
swiss
redsock

I think "guide vocal" was mentioned in the Rolling Stone article, maybe from Was.

Thanks -- you're right (just looked it up: " 'Soul Survivor' features Richards on [guide] vocals and completely different lyrics."

Date: April 25, 2010 23:55

Oh and isn't the Keith version of SS just a guide vocal with semi-dummy lyrics?[/quote]

don't know -- is there a story? would love to hear it![/quote]

I think "guide vocal" was mentioned in the Rolling Stone article, maybe from Was.[/quote]

Thanks -- you're right (just looked it up: " 'Soul Survivor' features Richards on [guide] vocals and completely different lyrics."[/quote]

yeah very different lyrics, he seems to be singing about his "heavy throbber!" hahaha

Date: April 26, 2010 00:30

kissinc***incannes
yeah very different lyrics, he seems to be singing about his "heavy throbber!" hahaha

This is what I hear on Keith's Soul Survivor - you think that's what he means?

yeaaah, I may be a fool.
But aaww you have my tool
Oh you know that I do
because...
I just came on by
with my big blind eye
and my swollen nose
you got me cheating...
(fades)

Is this the blush emoticon? :*>
- swiss

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2010-04-26 00:33 by swiss.

Date: April 26, 2010 20:54

georgelicks
30 seconds of all tracks here:
[www.amazon.co.uk]

And the amazing alternate version of All Down The Line here:
[www.amazon.co.uk]

Bjorn
I think Following the river is sooo beautiful...

It is pretty! Does anyone know the story of Following the River? are these all new lyrics?

- swiss

Date: April 26, 2010 22:49

Keith's vocal for me seems like he's just messing around and trying phrases in a very early stage of the song... I take it anyway smiling smiley I didn't think we'd get a Keith vocal from that era on this one... Soul Survivor has to be one of my fave Exile tunes: it only is so similar to the rest of the album it's mixed in and forgotten.

if Soul Survivor was on Sticky Fingers, we'd be praising it 100 more.
but I'm not complaining, it's just a remark. Exile rules, as do Fingers. they're different but match each other perfectly.

listen to what Phish have done with SS... the piano...!

Posted by: CrazyDadda ()
Date: April 26, 2010 22:54

So has this baby leaked yet....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-04-26 22:55 by CrazyDadda.

Posted by: sjs12 ()
Date: April 27, 2010 00:04

Had a listen to the previews and what can I say! The new snippets sound great, even if some have new vocals.

The original remastered album sounds great too from what I can tell. The only real way will be to listen to the CD rather than mp3 but the mastering sounds way better than the job on Sticky Fingers last year. Maybe they actually listened to this before releasing it?

Good news all round.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: April 27, 2010 15:09

Yeah, what a treat, we get probably the best sounding Exile (the vinyl) and a new album! Christmas in Spring! YES!

Date: April 27, 2010 17:13

whitem8
Yeah, what a treat, we get probably the best sounding Exile (the vinyl) and a new album! Christmas in Spring! YES!

Seriously! can you imagine if they waited to release until actual Christmas and we had to spend all of 2010 waiting?!eye popping smiley

thank goodness we don't smiling bouncing smileysmiling bouncing smileysmiling bouncing smiley

Posted by: straycatuk ()
Date: April 27, 2010 17:22

Extended Dirty Work for Xmas.

sc uk

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2071
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home