Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Most valuable collectors items in the CD era?
Posted by: liddas ()
Date: April 20, 2010 17:52

Probably the CD era is close to be over. Since this new format was introduced, many and many times I was tempted to start collecting stuff, but eventually I gave up.

Just as a matter of curisosity, which items turned out to be the most valuable / rare etc. from a collector's point of view?

C

Re: Most valuable collectors items in the CD era?
Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: April 20, 2010 18:25

I only collect the CD stuff - officially released only for the most part (no CDRs unless that's the only way to add an otherwise iTunes/digital only song to my collection), and offhand I can't think of the title of any of them, but I do know some of the rarest ones are a couple thousand of dollars!! Matt Lee would know in a heartbeat, perhaps UrbanSteel as well. I remember there is one from the Steel Wheels tour, Japanese only, that is up there, top 5 most sought-after/expensive items.

Date: April 20, 2010 19:35

The only series I ended up completing was the Virgin editions with the LP cover replica- Now I see that the Japanese made something similar with the Universal releases. Confess its tempting ...

C

Posted by: FreeBird ()
Date: April 20, 2010 20:19

liddas
Probably the CD era is close to be over.
It's far from over.

Posted by: ghostryder13 ()
Date: April 20, 2010 21:14

there's alot of people out there that do not use computers and ipods heck in my truck i still have a cassette player

Posted by: RSbestbandever ()
Date: April 20, 2010 21:29

ghostryder13
there's alot of people out there that do not use computers and ipods heck in my truck i still have a cassette player

Lol, I hear ya Ghostryder. One thing is for sure, you can get cassettes these days for pennies on the dollar.

Posted by: mattleeuk ()
Date: May 16, 2010 06:16

The most valuable Stones CD is Voodoo Lounge Tour Souvenir (Japan)

Posted by: tumblingdice ()
Date: May 16, 2010 06:45

dang...was hoping my Out Of Control and Saint Of Me Promo's would be worth something!

Posted by: Bimmelzerbott ()
Date: May 16, 2010 10:51

I never felt the urge to collect something on CD. Compared to vinyl CD's are damn unsexy. Just not a collectors item to me.

Posted by: strettonbull ()
Date: May 16, 2010 13:26

FreeBird
liddas
It's far from over.

10 years left max I reckon.

Date: May 16, 2010 13:36

strettonbull
FreeBird
liddas
It's far from over.

10 years left max I reckon.

No, it'll be longer. As far as mainstream audiences go, the CD is the final word in terms of physical media for music distribution.

Posted by: colonial ()
Date: May 16, 2010 14:29

Ive just noticed with some of my CDs lately im opening the cases and the discs have condensation on them.Im going to have to put them in a warmer room or something never had that problem before.

Posted by: ghostryder13 ()
Date: May 16, 2010 14:43

most people like having a physical copy of an album. with owning the cd you can rip your own mp3s

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: May 16, 2010 18:43

The CD will not go away. Hell, DATs haven't gone away - they're just not commercially available in general. In the recording industry they are still used, as is tape.

CDs will always be around. Just as vinyl has always been around. There will always be a need for a hard copy. CDs are still the top selling medium for music. At some point downloading sales will eclipse CD sales.

Personally I have some things I would consider valuable - but also missed some things. The Highwire CD single - I could not find it. I did find the promo. I wish I had the CD single of that one. I have some CD singles of The Cult that I would consider to be valuable - but that's just me.

Posted by: sweet neo con ()
Date: May 16, 2010 18:44

colonial
Ive just noticed with some of my CDs lately im opening the cases and the discs have condensation on them.Im going to have to put them in a warmer room or something never had that problem before.

never heard of that...where do you store your CDs? refrigerator?

IORR............but I like it!

Posted by: tipps ()
Date: May 16, 2010 19:59

My rare stuff is my bootlegs/concert t's. I agree cds will be around for awhile yet.

Date: May 16, 2010 23:10

sweet neo con
colonial

never heard of that...where do you store your CDs? refrigerator?
sweet neo con..Ive just realized what the problem is I had my clothes dryer on this morning with the windows shut and with the cold air its created condensation and got into my CD cases and stayed there until ive opened them up.And with it been colder inside than outside sometimes the condensation has stayed on the discs.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: May 17, 2010 00:47

the discs have condensation on them

Move ta Alice Springs ........

ROCKMAN

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: May 17, 2010 01:04

FreeBird
liddas
It's far from over.

I HOPE it's over. Listening to a cd is like watching a movie on a 10x10cm TV screen. The sampling rate of cd is too poor, like scanning a beautiful print at 35dpi. Who needs this?

Time to make way for some updated audio format, like bluray audio. Neil Young did it with his "Archives" project.

Date: May 17, 2010 01:06

When L&G is released on bluray the fan community will realize it's the (only) way to go, both for audio and video material.
Exile as a BR 25GB disc instead of the crappy 700MB the cd "offers"? It'll sound and feel great!

Posted by: Hendrik ()
Date: May 17, 2010 01:08

Interesting question and not easy to answer. The iTunes area has certainly changed the collectors world and these days its seems less important to have the actual cd aslong as the music is stored somewhere. This definitely affecting prices cause less people are collecting, more items are available on the market: For example 10 years ago people paid a lot of money for the much sought after promotional cd Say Ahhh (CSK 1827), now you can buy it for around US$ 20. Say Ahhh didnt contain rare songs, just a collection of well known songs and it was a 'limited' edition. Obviously not limited enough because its still easy to find but collectors like to make eachother crazy and therefor high prices were paid 10 years ago.
A better question would probably be whats (one of) the rarest cd? The content is irrelevant, 99% of all cd's arent valuable at all, only the very limited, (official) cd's (and albums) can become rare and valuable but at the end of the day, it is what someone really will pay.....
Already ordered your copy of the 7" of Plundered My Soul...? Who knows....some day....
Hendrik Mulder

Date: May 17, 2010 01:18

Rockman
the discs have condensation on them

Move ta Alice Springs ........
Rockman..I think I would sooner put up with the problem of condensation..than having some Dingo walking away with my CDs. My Stones CDs are like my Babies..ya know what I mean.

Posted by: soulsurvivor1 ()
Date: May 17, 2010 01:33

Terrifying Cd Single
Japanese CDs-Some 3" cd singles
Japanese & American CD Tour Samplers are Pricey

There are a few more that escape me..Lert me check my collection for titles

Charlie

Date: May 17, 2010 03:53

dcba
I HOPE it's over. Listening to a cd is like watching a movie on a 10x10cm TV screen. The sampling rate of cd is too poor, like scanning a beautiful print at 35dpi. Who needs this?

Time to make way for some updated audio format, like bluray audio. Neil Young did it with his "Archives" project.
Well, the perceived superiority of formats like SACD didn't help them to succeed in the marketplace, so I doubt Blu-Ray's fate will be very different when it comes to audio-only releases.

I have yet to hear a convincing demonstration of any format sounding materially better than CD. I do know CDs sound significantly better than LPs.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: May 17, 2010 05:20

CDs do not sound significanlt better than albums. CDs do sound cleaner with no pops or skips, but fidelity wise analog vinyl is way superior to CDs digital performance. Like keith said in the recent interview with Fallon, CDS are 0s and 1s not much more you can do with that! But analog vinyl is far warmer with more frequency range.
Blue ray DVDs are amazing! I just got a new Plasma and want a blue ray player.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: May 17, 2010 06:05

The CDs I have that sound really good? They sound really good.

Date: May 17, 2010 11:34

"I have yet to hear a convincing demonstration of any format sounding materially better than CD"

Man, ANY audio format (even cassettes) sound better than cd!

Cd is to audio technology what floppy discs are/were to the computer world. A thing of the 80's.

Posted by: Hendrik ()
Date: May 17, 2010 12:03

See that subject of topic is changing here......

Hendrik Mulder

Date: May 17, 2010 12:35

mattleeuk
The most valuable Stones CD is Voodoo Lounge Tour Souvenir (Japan)

Thank you!

Years ago, at the very beginning of the CD era, I was tempted to start collecting all the new Stones CD releases, and I bought quite a few during the Urban Jungle tour. Then I met this guy that already then had a HUGE collection of CDs, and I realised that collecting was not for me ... Funny that as a reaction I almost neglected all "collectible" items that came out during the following years. That's why I was curious to know if something that I could have bought, but did not, turned out to be somehow valuable.

Fact that I never even heard of a japanese Voodoo Lounge Tour Souvenir suggests that my decision not to collect CDs was a good decision!

C

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: May 17, 2010 12:42

Yes I am sorry I did not mean to hijack the thread, I was just wanting to reply to the above poster about the statement that CDs sound significantly better than LPs. I apologize.

As for collectable CDS...I don't have much and actually not as interested in CDs as I am with vinyl. But having said that. I do like to get the CD singles with bonus tracks. Unfortunately, most of mine are Bowie, I wasn't able to get Stones where I was living.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1368
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home