Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: OT:black crowes to enter another hiatus
Posted by: dcba ()
Date: April 21, 2010 01:00

Newbie question : have they ever managed to top their fantastic 2nd album, "The Southern Harmony and Musical Companion"?

Posted by: barbabang ()
Date: April 21, 2010 01:11

dcba
Newbie question : have they ever managed to top their fantastic 2nd album, "The Southern Harmony and Musical Companion"?

For me, yes. Amorica. And By Your Side is no slouch eitherthumbs up

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: April 21, 2010 01:16

thx for the reply!

Posted by: wisertime ()
Date: April 21, 2010 02:00

barbabang
dcba

For me, yes. Amorica. And By Your Side is no slouch eitherthumbs up

"Tall" and "Three Snakes" are my favorites

Posted by: andrewm ()
Date: April 21, 2010 02:04

Yeah, Three Snakes may actually be my favorite, though it seems to get slammed the most.

Posted by: stones_serb ()
Date: April 21, 2010 02:14

dcba

In my opinion,both Amorica and Before the Frost are better albums.I'd go for Before the Frost first,

Posted by: boogie1969 ()
Date: April 21, 2010 03:11

keefriffhard4life
they have a date near me. sucks its on a tuesday and i have no more vacation days to use this year. why do bands do that? a concert on a weeknight i mean

I know what you mean, and I've thought the same thing many times, but unfortunately they can't play everywhere on a Saturday night.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: April 21, 2010 04:33

Yeah my summer holiday is June to July. But I see they are playing the Fillmmore in December! And that I could probably make!

Posted by: polythene sam ()
Date: April 21, 2010 04:52

So Chris would be available to sing with The Rod-less Faces...

Posted by: mickjagger1009 ()
Date: April 21, 2010 06:28

dcba

That was always my favorite Black Crowes album by far. A great album to just put on and play from start to finish. But I think Before the Frost is even better. In my opinion, Southern Harmony is great, but it loses a little steam after the first 5-6 songs. I think Before the Frost is stronger all the way through to the end. They are just about all very good songs and musically very impressive.

"You'll be studying history and you'll be down the gym. And I'll be down the pub, probably playing pool and drinking."

Posted by: Child Of Clay ()
Date: April 21, 2010 07:59

I would choose Before The Frost if I could only have one Crowes' album. Amorica, SHAMC,and Three Snakes are brilliant, and The Lost Crowes is arguably the greatest "unreleased/alternative versions" kind of a release ever by any artist. And the most criminally ignored by the press.
As for not touring Europe, I've got the feeling that it is the easiest for the band to stay inside the world they've created for themselves in the USA. Also there's not as much hassle travelling from one gig to the next. But probably it's just too effing expensive to haul their circus across the pond. After all, they can't fill enormodomes and charge astronomical ticket prices.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-04-21 08:00 by Child Of Clay.

Date: April 21, 2010 08:21

Yeah they are big pot heads so traveling around Europe would be problematic for them.
Amorica is my all time favorite by them. A stunning album full of beautiful conflict. Descending is one of my favorites by them, as is Cursed Diamond... Their worst for me is By Your Side, a few good songs, but some really horrible lyrics by Chris and terrible production.

Date: April 21, 2010 09:11

^ I even prefer Lions over BYS, both have great moments but maybe it's the lyrics on BYS that dip the scales in Lions favour.

Date: April 21, 2010 09:25

lions is a great album. my personal favorite but not their best

BYS would have been good if they released the original songs for it, now available on the lost crowes album, and added "only a fool" and "kickin my heart around"

Posted by: UGot2Rollme ()
Date: April 21, 2010 10:14

whitem8
Yeah they are big pot heads so traveling around Europe would be problematic for them.

?? having moved from US to Europe (Switzerland) 7 years ago, I can tell you that, with the exception of Scandinavia, Europe is much more pot-friendly than the uptight US. Especially with all their fans here, Chris would be well taken care of if he were to venture across the pond (I don't think Rich tokes anymore)

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: April 21, 2010 10:36

I'm not there...!!!

Date: April 21, 2010 11:37

Me neither...

but I didn't miss them at all on the new stuff, and when I listen to the 2009 Fillmore-run, I mostly enjoy what Luther and Adam play on the Ford/Harsch-era stuff. It's different, and it should be. ALL of these guys are musicians and not jukeboxes...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-04-21 11:41 by Child Of Clay.

Date: April 21, 2010 13:59

UGot2Rollme
whitem8

?? having moved from US to Europe (Switzerland) 7 years ago, I can tell you that, with the exception of Scandinavia, Europe is much more pot-friendly than the uptight US. Especially with all their fans here, Chris would be well taken care of if he were to venture across the pond (I don't think Rich tokes anymore)
Yes, I have no argument that you guys are more liberal with Pot, but for the Crowes, they still have to face customs and the hassle of being in the spotlight... I said that tongue in cheek, but they have their rocking tour buss loaded with their comforts and love to hit the spliffs.

Posted by: mr edward ()
Date: April 21, 2010 14:58

From rollingstone.com:

Black Crowes Following "Croweology" Set, Tour With Indefinite Hiatus

Apr 20, 2010 7:00 AM EDT

The Black Crowes are celebrating the 20th anniversary of their multiplatinum debut album, 1990's Shake Your Moneymaker, with new music and a major U.S. tour, then a disappearing act. In August, they will release a studio album, Croweology, a two-disc set of fresh acoustic recordings of hits and deep-catalog songs from across the band's career. That month, the Crowes also embark on a four-month tour, performing three-hour concerts nightly, divided into acoustic and electric sets. But after the final dates, six nights in December at the Fillmore in San Francisco, the Crowes' current lineup - the founding brothers, singer Chris and guitarist Rich Robinson, original drummer Steve Gorman, bassist Sven Pipien, guitarist Luther Dickinson and keyboard player Adam MacDougall - are going on an indefinite hiatus. The official title of the tour: "Say Goodnight to the Bad Guys."

"Two years, five years, 10 years - you never know when you jump into the void," Chris says cheerfully, when asked how long he expects the band to be away. "This cycle we've been on has been incredible. Since the summer of '07, when we made Warpaint, it's been the three most fulfilling years I've ever had with this band.

"But if we kept going, we might be playing with fate too much," he adds. "It would be nice to have a 30th anniversary. But we should walk away from this while everyone's in a good mood."

"Plus, we all have babies," says Rich. "I'm expecting one any day now. Chris and Luther just had kids. It seemed like a good time. To me, 'hiatus' means there is no plan. We haven't said, 'Let's get back together in 2012.' And we haven't said, 'Let's not.' "

This is not the first time the Crowes have officially dispersed. The group broke up in 2002, exhausted by 12 years of touring, fighting with record companies, turbulent personnel changes and the Robinsons' famously volatile relationship. "We should have taken that break in 1997," Chris admits. "We could have taken two years off, and it probably would have changed everything. Sometimes I'm surprised we got back in '05. But this time, it is more of an insurance that we don't get into those places. We can go away, but it doesn't all slip away and feel final."

"It really is just life stuff," Gorman insists. "My dad had an interesting way of saying things, like, 'If you squeeze the puppy too hard, you'll kill it.' That's how I felt the last time. It's nice now, to be able to stand shoulder to shoulder, looking in the same direction and say, 'See ya when I see ya.' "

The idea for an acoustic record came up last year, during discussions about how to mark the anniversary of Moneymaker. The Crowes have done unplugged segments in their concerts, on and off, since the late Nineties. But the spark for Croweology was two all-acoustic shows the band played in 2008, at New York's Town Hall. "We captured something different," Rich recalls. "We wanted to see if we could do something more with that concept." They did it fast too: The group cut Croweology live in the studio, in five days, at Sunset Sound in Los Angeles. "Most of Chris' vocals are live," Rich points out. "He was just doing scratch vocals, but they sounded cool."

Rich cites the new arrangement of "My Morning Song," from 1992's The Southern Harmony and Musical Companion as one of his favorite surprises on Croweology. "It's a song we play all the time, but we felt it become something different and exciting." Even the Moneymaker hit "Jealous Again", he says, "had a new life in that format. Actually, this is heavy for an acoustic record, more like Led Zeppelin III."

Gorman has another comparison. "The best rock & roll song, in my opinion," he says, "is Rod Stewart's 'Every Picture Tells a Story.' That's an acoustic song. But the drums are thumping. The whole thing is a chug. That, Zeppelin III, the Rolling Stones' Beggars Banquet - those were our reference points. This is a surprisingly uptempo record."

"We're definitely going to play a lot of Crowes songs," Chris says of the fall shows, "but this record is the mantle." The Crowes will open each night with a 90-minute acoustic set, then play another 90 minutes of electric music. "But those songs we play acoustic one night, we can switch and play electric, completely different the next night." There is a pause - you can practically hear the light bulb going off over his head. "We could do one set acoustic, and play that exact set electric the next night." He laughs. "There's still people out there who want their minds flipped - and that's what we're into."

Neither Robinson has a specific plan of action ready for the hiatus, although Chris, for whom perpetual motion is a way of life, has already been busy on the outside this year. He sang with Furthur, the Grateful Dead side trip of Bob Weir and Phil Lesh, at Lesh's 70th-birthday show in San Francisco in March. Robinson has also produced an album by the band Truth and Salvage Co., out in May. "For me, when I hear ' break,'" he says, "I instantly think of producing records, doing shows. Who can I play with? Let's jam." Rich is looking forward to devoting more time to his other art form - painting - and doing movie scores.

When asked what he thinks the Crowes achieved in the 20 years since Shake Your Moneymaker, Robinson declares triumphantly, "Chalk one up for the weirdos. We live in an age where everyone else is trying to aggressively own the middle. They'll do anything to be more popular." But why go away when the going is so great? "All the great bands take breaks from each other," Chris contends. "The Stones should have done it more. But if this record we made all of a sudden is the most popular thing in the world, we're never going away! Are you kidding?"

And if it isn't?

"Like I said, it's not a final thing."

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 958
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home