Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Overrated Stones Songs
Posted by: Bimmelzerbott ()
Date: January 2, 2009 22:40

Which of the "important" and highly respected Stones classics do you think are overrated?

I know of the importance of (I Can Get No) Satisfaction and that the song and it's riff changed the rock and roll world forever, but for me the song never did anything. I always found it boring, kinda lame. Midnight Rambler is another one. The song is too long for my taste and never really clicked for me.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-01-02 22:41 by Bimmelzerbott.

Re: Overrated Stones Songs
Posted by: drewmaster ()
Date: January 2, 2009 23:05

Brown Sugar. Bores me to tears.

Drew

Posted by: stoneswashed77 ()
Date: January 2, 2009 23:18

i agree on satisfaction as overrated. i also don´t like midnight rambler, but that one is not overrated. how many people who are not stones fans even know it?

Posted by: keeffriffhard ()
Date: January 2, 2009 23:36

Miss You

Posted by: Amused ()
Date: January 3, 2009 00:03

Angie.
I mean, back in the seventies every dog was called that...

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: January 3, 2009 00:04

Emotional Rescue.
"I will be your knight in shining armour
Riding across the desert on a fine Arab charger" indeed!

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Posted by: Tornandfrayed ()
Date: January 3, 2009 00:07

Start Me Up. I can´t stand it.

Posted by: slew ()
Date: January 3, 2009 00:29

Miss You

Midnight Rambler, Brown Sugar and Satisfaction - Are you kidding me??

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: January 3, 2009 00:32

Start Me Up.

Great riff, brilliantly recorded & mixed, but not much of a song.

Classic case of style over substance.

Posted by: TippyToe ()
Date: January 3, 2009 00:33

YCAGWYW.

Overproduced, boring crap.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: January 3, 2009 00:38

Anything from Some Girls except Beast of Burden.

Posted by: NorthShoreBlues2 ()
Date: January 3, 2009 01:59

everything post 1973, no just kidding, i would say the usual suspects: miss you, start me up, love is strong, etc., etc and most of the early records for christ sakes.

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: January 3, 2009 02:07

More Hot Rocks
Anything from Some Girls except Beast of Burden.

Especially Shattered.

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: January 3, 2009 02:08

If " You got me rocking " counts as " important and highly respected " I´d like
to express once again my deep and honest disrespect towards this track.

May it never ever be performed again !

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: January 3, 2009 02:15

Angie - by far. And Ruby Tuesday. Miss You is up there too. Start Me Up - yeah, the studio version is a bit lumbering; the 89-90 live version is exceptional and ever since then it's back to being a pile of crap and it seems they barely make it through.

Satisfaction - if they'd play it like the song goes for once it might redeem itself. But they just plow through it. Where did its swagger and sexiness go?

I still like the viciousness of - the studio recordings - Brown Sugar, Jumpin' Jack Flash, Street Fighting Man but I think live only SFM comes across the way it should. They also plow through JJF - they don't even play it close to how it goes - and the best straying from the actual song live version is heard in Gimme Shelter followed by GYYYO. Since then it's been absolute crap I think.

There are others that I'm not sure qualify as overrated but I'll throw them in anyway - studio and live: Rock And A Hard Place. Pure rubbish. The studio version of Undercover Of The Night is quite good but why do they bother to play it live? I don't get - it never sounds good.

Sympathy falls in too - it was cool that they changed it for the 89-90 tours the way they did but it hasn't evolved since. I loved the version on Love You Live, it was somewhat of a slower brother to the Ya-Ya's 1969 tour version. But it's just a flat out bore now.

I guess this somewhat sums up what a lot of us have been saying lately - time to revamp the set list and play the warhorses with intention, not to get the gig over with.

Date: January 3, 2009 02:17

skipstone, here's a beer...
smileys with beer

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: NorthShoreBlues2 ()
Date: January 3, 2009 02:20

skipstone
Angie - by far. And Ruby Tuesday. Miss You is up there too. Start Me Up - yeah, the studio version is a bit lumbering; the 89-90 live version is exceptional and ever since then it's back to being a pile of crap and it seems they barely make it through.

Satisfaction - if they'd play it like the song goes for once it might redeem itself. But they just plow through it. Where did its swagger and sexiness go?

I still like the viciousness of - the studio recordings - Brown Sugar, Jumpin' Jack Flash, Street Fighting Man but I think live only SFM comes across the way it should. They also plow through JJF - they don't even play it close to how it goes - and the best straying from the actual song live version is heard in Gimme Shelter followed by GYYYO. Since then it's been absolute crap I think.

There are others that I'm not sure qualify as overrated but I'll throw them in anyway - studio and live: Rock And A Hard Place. Pure rubbish. The studio version of Undercover Of The Night is quite good but why do they bother to play it live? I don't get - it never sounds good.

Sympathy falls in too - it was cool that they changed it for the 89-90 tours the way they did but it hasn't evolved since. I loved the version on Love You Live, it was somewhat of a slower brother to the Ya-Ya's 1969 tour version. But it's just a flat out bore now.

I guess this somewhat sums up what a lot of us have been saying lately - time to revamp the set list and play the warhorses with intention, not to get the gig over with.

nice dude, yup, my sentiments exactly!!!

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: January 3, 2009 02:21

I would like to hear Brown Sugar from Live Licks unedited - I thought that's been the best live version yet on an album. It is kicking.

Ha ha. I will have a beer - quite a few actually.

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: January 3, 2009 02:22

Miss You AND Start Me up. Miss You has no relevance unless you miss disco and Start Me Up is irritating ever since they hired it out to Microsoft!
Nearly forgot(before the attacks start) IMHO!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-01-03 02:24 by scottkeef.

Date: January 3, 2009 02:22

Cool! I will have some when I host karaoke tonight. I'll dedicate Wild Horses to IORR.ORG.

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: wee bobby lennox ()
Date: January 3, 2009 02:27

you got me rocking.
its only rock and roll
satisfaction
honky tonk woman
you cant always get what you want
start me up
miss you
out of control
saint of me
mixed emotions

all overrated.

Posted by: Markdog ()
Date: January 3, 2009 02:34

Rock and a Hard place and sad, sad, sad. Maybe not classics I never understood why these were played live.

Hated Miss you until Handsome girls version, the guitars, especially Ronnie are great if you get passed the disco beat.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: January 3, 2009 02:37

Markdog
Rock and a Hard place and sad, sad, sad. Maybe not classics I never understood why these were played live.

..because they were newly released?

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: January 3, 2009 02:59

You Got Me Rockin'.....by several country miles.....

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: January 3, 2009 03:14

I go for "Shattered" although it's not a song that's overated by the averaged Stone fan but on this board.
How can you guy's call Satisfaction, MNRambler and Brown Sugar overrated, Satisfaction a song from '65 with that much power, I can't remeber the song from that time, think the first time I heard the song was in 67... for years it was a song that get everybody on the dans floor and I think some of us mixup overated and borring

Date: January 3, 2009 03:25

YCAGWYW and Start Me Up. Also Keith's Main Offender album.

Posted by: jjflash73 ()
Date: January 3, 2009 03:30

out of control. never liked it.

Posted by: Bimmelzerbott ()
Date: January 3, 2009 03:32

Some girls (the album) is another good example. For me, the only good track is Beast of Burden and even this one I find mediocre at best. The rest, particulary Shattered which I find totally awful, bores me to death.

Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: January 3, 2009 05:08

Miss You, Shattered, Fool To Cry

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: January 3, 2009 05:11

I'm glad this thread is coming out at the same time the (rumoured) tour is "announced."

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1724
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home