Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Stones related musicians at Wanee Festival
Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: April 19, 2010 18:01

A few Stone related folks played this weekend in Live Oak. FL at the Wanee Festival. Here goes:

Chuck Leavell with the Randall Bramlett Band - Just caught the end of their set, but very good. "Southbound" by The Allman Bros. Band was a highlight. Nice piano break in the middle. Didn't hear any Stones songs.

Stephen Stills - I was expecting a folkie fest and he surprised me by playing a rocking set. Kicked pretty good ass. No "Judy Blue Eyes" though.

Johnny Winter - The old man had to sit but was HOT on that slide. Johnny Lee Schell on rhythm guitar? Not sure.

Ivan Neville's Dumpstaphunk - Played a hot set of Sly and The Family Stone! "Higher" really kicked major ass. Ivan looked very healthy and sounded great.

Funky Meters/Neville Family - Maybe my favorite of the fest. New Orleans funk at its finest. At one point there were 4 Nevilles on stage including young Ian (Ivan's son?). Ivan did a fine job on Billy Preston's "Will It Go 'Round In Circles". Just fantastic. Zigaboo Modeliste of the New Barbarians is no longer with the Meters.

On a "related" note, my son (a helluva player for 15 years old) and I got to go backstage during the Allman Brothers Band's set both night. Awesome. He met Jaimoe and several members of Widespread Panic. He was in dreamland. His Old Man kinda liked it too.

Lots of good music, pretty ladies, and cold beer. Oh yeah, Lukester was there too.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-04-19 18:11 by Elmo Lewis.

Re: Stones related musicians at Wanee Festival
Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: April 19, 2010 18:20

other stones-related acts there:

dr. john (played on let it loose)
luther dickinson of NMAS (daddy played with the lads, too)
sharon jones - sang backup vox on Phish's halloween rendition of EOMS last year

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: April 19, 2010 19:36

Glad you and Lukester had a good time Elmo.smileys with beer

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Date: April 19, 2010 20:29

Thanks, STod. Correct you are. Were you there?

Date: April 19, 2010 20:32

Elmo Lewis
Thanks, STod. Correct you are. Were you there?

only in spirit - will soon be moving nearer to the location - perhaps in a future wanee....or maybe it'll be called "anee" by then - why do they drop letters from this?

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: April 19, 2010 23:37

StonesTod

More currently of The Black Crowes!! >grinning smiley<

Date: April 19, 2010 23:58

VoodooLounge13
StonesTod

More currently of The Black Crowes!! >grinning smiley<

well, it doesn't get more current than this past weekend, when he was leading the NMAS

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: April 20, 2010 15:45

Oooooooooooh didn't realize that! Sorry StonesTod - perhaps it should read Luther Dickinson and NMAS?!! winking smiley I've not yet checked them out, but I would very much like to. I think Luther is an incredible guitar player.

Date: April 20, 2010 17:34

Yeah, Luther is now with the Black Crowes. Played with the North Mississippi All Stars at Wanee. Also, he jammed with the Allmans and the Meters (that I saw). Fine musician.

Date: April 20, 2010 17:45

he's with both bands, though, right? seems like the thing to do in some of these southern bands now - be a member of multiple acts and then see if you can develop a touring schedule that accommodates all parties. it's the tonic for the workaholic guitarists like trucks, haynes and now luther....

Date: April 20, 2010 18:01

Sounds like it to me, ST. Talented guy (like the others you mentioned).

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: April 29, 2010 05:30

Posted by: Lukester ()
Date: April 29, 2010 18:34

Elmo Lewis
A few Stone related folks played this weekend in Live Oak. FL at the Wanee Festival. Here goes:

Chuck Leavell with the Randall Bramlett Band - Just caught the end of their set, but very good. "Southbound" by The Allman Bros. Band was a highlight. Nice piano break in the middle. Didn't hear any Stones songs.

Stephen Stills - I was expecting a folkie fest and he surprised me by playing a rocking set. Kicked pretty good ass. No "Judy Blue Eyes" though.

Johnny Winter - The old man had to sit but was HOT on that slide. Johnny Lee Schell on rhythm guitar? Not sure.

Ivan Neville's Dumpstaphunk - Played a hot set of Sly and The Family Stone! "Higher" really kicked major ass. Ivan looked very healthy and sounded great.

Funky Meters/Neville Family - Maybe my favorite of the fest. New Orleans funk at its finest. At one point there were 4 Nevilles on stage including young Ian (Ivan's son?). Ivan did a fine job on Billy Preston's "Will It Go 'Round In Circles". Just fantastic. Zigaboo Modeliste of the New Barbarians is no longer with the Meters.

On a "related" note, my son (a helluva player for 15 years old) and I got to go backstage during the Allman Brothers Band's set both night. Awesome. He met Jaimoe and several members of Widespread Panic. He was in dreamland. His Old Man kinda liked it too.

Lots of good music, pretty ladies, and cold beer. Oh yeah, Lukester was there too.

Hey Scotty,
That's awesome you and your son got to go backstage for the Allmans. I had a great weekend.

Posted by: CindyC ()
Date: April 29, 2010 19:04

StonesTod

only in spirit - will soon be moving nearer to the location - perhaps in a future wanee.../quote]

you're finally moving - how exciting! good luck with it.

Date: April 29, 2010 20:06

yeah, i'm moving, but i'll still be irritating everyone - just from a different perch - it probably won't even been noticed....maybe a few gratuitous "y'alls" sprinkled in here and there - that's inevitable....

Date: April 29, 2010 21:05

Lukester
Elmo Lewis

Hey Scotty,
That's awesome you and your son got to go backstage for the Allmans. I had a great weekend.

Thanks, Lukester. It was a fine time with some great music. Braves soon. 5 string wants you to email him - new computer and doesn't have our emails anymore.

"No Anchovies, Please"

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2143
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home