Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Jigsaw Q
Date: January 1, 2009 00:11

I've seen long threads dedicated to this song. But who do you think plays Bass on Jigsaw Puzzle? Is that Keith or Bill?
And does anyone else hear TWO slides?

Re: Jigsaw Q
Posted by: UnionHall ()
Date: January 1, 2009 01:10

I don't know the answer to your question about who is playing the bass, but what a fantastic song, the way it builds in intensity and the slides going wild. To my ears, it sounds like more than one slide happening, but I'm sure someone on here knows the answer.

Posted by: slew ()
Date: January 1, 2009 03:02

I love this song - I like the lyric about the guitar players They've been outcasts all their lives. Fits Keith and Brian to a T.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: January 1, 2009 15:36

Wyman plays bass, Richards slide, and Jones mellotron at the end. His Majesty posted some great clips concerning the mellotron.

Mathijs

Date: January 1, 2009 18:16

So how do we know Wyman plays Bass?

Posted by: From4tilLate ()
Date: January 1, 2009 18:23

I have the boot (somewhere) of 7 or 8 takes of Jigsaw and have always been curious why Keith (often painfully) laid down the slide with the basic track and then went back and added the acoustic guitar later. It seems to me that, for a solid track, he would have laid down the acoustic guitar first. But what do I know?

Posted by: audun-eg ()
Date: January 1, 2009 18:36

According to one of my book-sources, Keith plays bass on this in addition to slide and acoustic guitar. Bill plays a synthesizer and Brian Jones isn't on it at all. Brian plays mellotron on Stray Cat, though.

[www.reverbnation.com]

Date: January 1, 2009 18:39

What book is that? Because that is pretty much the way I hear it.
But - I bet if one dug out the Satanic Sessions, it would be easier to determine.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-01-01 18:43 by Palace Revolution 2000.

Date: January 1, 2009 18:55

There's various threads on this subject, you can use the search function.

but in short: on the outtakes you can clearly hear Jagger leading the session on acoustic and guide vocals, Richards on slide, Wyman on bass and Watts on drums. While the songs is still in its early stage, several basic elements of the track are already there, like some licks and turn-arounds played by Richards and the walking bass by Wyman.

[www.iorr.org]

His Majesty has posted some clips showing that the whining instrument is the mellotron on a flute, drenched in reverb. There's also a statement by Jimmy Miller that Brian added mellotron to the end of the track, but there's no definitive proof it is him though.

[www.iorr.org]

Mathijs

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-01-01 18:57 by Mathijs.

Date: January 1, 2009 18:57

It's a book by a norwegian author Bård Ose called "30 år med Rolling Stones - en komplett platehistorie" - 30 years with the Rolling Stones - a complete recording history.
He used many different sources for this book, and I can't be sure that this is correct as I have no other sources to back it up.

[www.reverbnation.com]

Posted by: cc ()
Date: January 1, 2009 19:08

I think this is the first track on the album where the bass is electric, played by bill, and not buried under layers of tape distortion. As a result, it's a very distinctive entrance.

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: January 1, 2009 20:12

their most dylanesque song...right outta blonde on blonde....

Date: January 1, 2009 20:22

Yeah, what Mathijs pointed out would substantiate it for me too. Eventhough as we know, the Stones often would deviate form that set-up; even if Bill started out on Bass. Does he play that particular bass style already? I would in no way call that a "walking" bass. It actually is very much Bill's style, of 4ths 5ths and 8ths. It's the presence of the Bass that confuses me. That feels more like Keith to me.
Still - at this pojnt I would agree it is Bill.
I just did not want to go by someone's website or book, that passes off our conjecturing as fact.

Date: January 1, 2009 21:23

Also find the bass-style a bit more Keith-ish. The bass-sound also somewhat different to the rest of the album except for "Sympathy" which is off-course Keith. More of a Fender P-bass sound which Bill never used although Keith tried to make him.

[www.reverbnation.com]

Date: January 1, 2009 21:37

audun-eg
Also find the bass-style a bit more Keith-ish. The bass-sound also somewhat different to the rest of the album except for "Sympathy" which is off-course Keith. More of a Fender P-bass sound which Bill never used although Keith tried to make him.

I agree, the sound is very much like a P bass, and that would put it more in to keith teritory. But, Bill did play a P-bass at least on one session:

[www.iorr.org]

But, the style is much more Wyman than Keith, and there's the outtakes that show Wyman playing the same kind of bass licks.

Mathijs

Date: January 1, 2009 22:05

Mathijs
audun-eg

I agree, the sound is very much like a P bass, and that would put it more in to keith teritory. But, Bill did play a P-bass at least on one session:

[www.iorr.org]

But, the style is much more Wyman than Keith, and there's the outtakes that show Wyman playing the same kind of bass licks.

Mathijs

Ok. There's anyway nothing about the bass-playing that I could point out and say: "That can't be Bill" or "that is Keith for sure!" so Bill it is!

[www.reverbnation.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2208
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home