Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
OT: Is it just me or is this bad?
Posted by: Justin ()
Date: December 18, 2008 11:23

Chubby Checker, famous for The Twist nearly 50 years ago has a "new" song. Here he is performing it. This new song sounds like it was written in the 80s. Everything about this is a train wreck. The corny song, the tight pants (he's 66), the long and unneccesary guitar solo...I was pretty much dumbfounded.

And for anyone who is interested. In this recent radio interview Chubby goes off on a slight tantrum about not getting into the RoR Hall of Fame...and goes on and on about it. But worst of all, he gets up to "perform" his new song again. Lip synching the whole thing. The worst part is probably him having to move around the furniture just to perform the song. Sad....

Re: OT: Is it just me or is this bad?
Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: December 18, 2008 11:27

Er no ... it isn't just you. God, it's pretty (groping for adjectives here .....) awful - if the truth be known.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: December 18, 2008 11:29

Sorry - thought this might have been something about Chinese Democracy.

Posted by: still ill ()
Date: December 18, 2008 11:59

that would have fitted in very comfortably at Live Aid

Posted by: Bimmelzerbott ()
Date: December 18, 2008 12:49

Still better than most of Jaggers solo stuff.

Posted by: no spare yaps ()
Date: December 18, 2008 13:11

Bimmelzerbott

That was, without ANY doubt, the most stupid, asinine, incredibly dumb, most pathetic, silly, lame, useless, clueless, utterly garbage-like, brainless, moronic, idiotic, shamefull, retarded and pitiful post I have ever, or will ever read on here.

And that is saying alot!

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: December 18, 2008 13:47

Alright, keep Jagger out of this, because those songs and interviews gotta be the most pathetic I've seen in a looooong time. Holy smoke! Talk about ego trip...jeeez. There's dozens of people who have written one famous song and not done anything else worthy of fame. Why would he be any different? Those performances are definite proof that he ain't. Now I'm not gonna waste any more of my time on this. winking smiley

Date: December 18, 2008 19:24

Wow. The comments on here made me have to watch it.

YUH-IKES. Who's that boof imitating a guitar player?

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: December 18, 2008 19:25

"he has sold more than 250 million records", twitters the airhead in the first clip.

On what planet?

Date: December 18, 2008 19:29

Maybe that includes the one single...world wide...

Posted by: shadooby ()
Date: December 18, 2008 19:38

no spare yaps
Bimmelzerbott

That was, without ANY doubt, the most stupid, asinine, incredibly dumb, most pathetic, silly, lame, useless, clueless, utterly garbage-like, brainless, moronic, idiotic, shamefull, retarded and pitiful post I have ever, or will ever read on here.

And that is saying alot!

>grinning smiley<At least Chubby didn't have to put a sock in those pants ala Mick now did he?

Date: December 18, 2008 19:39

Okay...so it's not just me. The second clip is slightly worse, I think. He claims to "not care" about not being inducted the RoR hall of Fame but then he goes on for 5 minutes about how hurt he is that he gets no recognition for creating what he calls is "the world's sexiest dance." He goes into a bit about how sexy he thinks a woman is when they do the Twist. WTF? Is this 1955?

He makes a fuss about how the Beatles "Twist and Shout" is far more popular and credited than his Twist ever was. Not really a huge connection but then he whines about how upset he gets when he sees people dancing the Twist everywhere yet no one knows he created it. Who is still dancing the twist? And how many other songs exist which you can twist to--that's NOT Chubby Checker's "The Twist."??

I love how Chubby, who is so obviously begging to be inducted into the Hall of Fame, threatens to "not show up" if they were to induct him if he were too old. "I know how to say no." the nerve of this guy to lay down an ultimatum. This guy think he started a revolution.

Yeah that goofy guitar player is taking himself waaaaaay too seriously. Jamming out to a below mediocre song.

This takes away whatever little respect I already had for Chubby....

Posted by: Duane in Houston ()
Date: December 18, 2008 19:44

I thought it was GREAT ! Very PoP! The guy knows how to write. It actually sounds like an old Alice Cooper song to me. Very inspirational.

I'm sure this live performance is not as good as the recorded version (at least I hope not) because of the setting and the inherant limitations of a small TV studio.

The funny parts (and there are several) include Chubby's hair, the lack-luster female back up singers and the rdiculously young band though the guitarist shows a lot of "moxie" and actually sounds like Ron Wood on a very good night. The lyrics could use a good re-write though. And I'm not even going to mention those very tasteful skin-tight silver pants. Rock On Chubby, Rock On !

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-12-18 22:57 by Duane in Houston.

Date: December 18, 2008 19:53

What I always thought was funny about him was he had "The Twist", then for the big follow up he just added "like we did last summer" and thats his only claim to fame.

And Chubby Checker does not sound like Alice Cooper! What song could you possibly be talking about?

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: December 18, 2008 20:14

Justin
Okay...so it's not just me. The second clip is slightly worse, I think. He claims to "not care" about not being inducted the RoR hall of Fame but then he goes on for 5 minutes about how hurt he is that he gets no recognition for creating what he calls is "the world's sexiest dance." He goes into a bit about how sexy he thinks a woman is when they do the Twist. WTF? Is this 1955?

Yes, today in 2008 and no one does the twist. but at the time it was huge, and it was a great dance because everybody could do it.

Posted by: cc ()
Date: December 18, 2008 20:19

no spare yaps
What I always thought was funny about him was he had "The Twist", then for the big follow up he just added "like we did last summer" and thats his only claim to fame.

and, oddly, I feel like it's "Let's Twist Again" that I always hear played now, and rarely the original.

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: December 18, 2008 20:32

And the thing is "The Twist" wasnt even really his! Hank Ballard wrote the song and it was released as the B side of his 1959 hit "Teardrops On Your Letter".
The Midnighters'(Ballards group) "The Twist" re-entered the Billboard pop charts
7-18-60 on its own,followed on 8-1-60 by Checker's cover version which twice reached
no 1. And if you've heard Ballard and The Midnighters version, Checker covered it
note for note!!

AND as far as the Beatles "Twist And Shout" I'm sure the Isley Brothers(??) who had a pretty good run with it themselves didnt mind the songwriting royalties! Just like Berry and Carl Perkins didnt mind. Perkins said he bought his Nashville area ranch in the 60s directly as a result of the much needed influx of cash from
The Beatles covering his songs.

Posted by: Tornandfrayed ()
Date: December 18, 2008 20:58

You gotta love those pants he´s wearing during that bizzarre performance in the first clip. That new song sounds like it could have been another filler track on ABB.

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: December 18, 2008 21:03

He does do a good job of lip synching on the second clip!

Posted by: cirrhosis ()
Date: December 18, 2008 21:05

Could I be the one to point out that this is actually a 2 disc set?

And that the second disc is comprised solely of "Knock Down The Walls" remixes?

[www.amazon.com]

Date: December 18, 2008 21:06

Whats the first disc? Remixes of The Twist and Let's Twist Again?

Date: December 18, 2008 21:19

cirrhosis
Could I be the one to point out that this is actually a 2 disc set?

And that the second disc is comprised solely of "Knock Down The Walls" remixes?

[www.amazon.com]

LOL yeah...I saw that but thought it was a typo on that 2nd disc..surely no one would allow an ENTIRE disk to be one song remixed 10 different ways?....but it may just be the case here. Good job Chubby...give us a "new" song and then just get us tired to hell of it.

I have no idea what made me look up chubby checker videos but I remembered seeing this "Knock Down The Walls" performance and thus began my embarassement for the guy.

I have no idea where he is here...a high school prom????

Date: December 18, 2008 21:33

There should be a third disc of all these live performances.

And thanks to ebay...

[cgi.ebay.com]

2-1. Knock Down the Walls [Pop Mix]
2-2. Knock Down the Walls [Top 40 Dance Mix]
2-3. Knock Down the Walls [Urban Mix]
2-4. Knock Down the Walls [Rock Mix]
2-5. Knock Down the Walls [Radio Disney Mix-Top 40 - No Rap Edit]
2-6. Knock Down the Walls [Urban AC- No Rap Edit]
2-7. Knock Down the Walls [Dance Instrumental]
2-8. Knock Down the Walls [TV Instrumental Pop Mix]

Date: December 18, 2008 21:40

Haha...nice cirrhosis. Unbelievable...it's one thing for an aging singer/artist to be proud of their latest material but to have just ONE teeny tiny song played everywhere and to be THIS proud of it...is a little corny.

yeah, a live album would be much appreciated as well as a full concert DVD, me thinks smiling smiley

Posted by: hbwriter ()
Date: December 18, 2008 21:57

i have laughed harder at the posts on this thread than anything in a long time--why i love this site--the brilliant breakdown of this mess is just classic stuff--keep it up, folks smiling smiley

Date: December 18, 2008 22:10

i have laughed harder at the posts on this thread than anything in a long time--why i love this site--the brilliant breakdown of this mess is just classic stuff--keep it up, folks smiling smiley

----
I have no idea where he is here...a high school prom????
---

he's on the set of Full House smiling smiley

Date: December 18, 2008 22:23

hbwriter
he's on the set of Full House smiling smiley

Who needs the rock and roll hall of fame when you're on Full house!

I tellya, there's nothing cooler than a 65 year old singer wearing a shirt that's tucked into his pants. Nothing says ROCK AND ROLL than a guy who looks like he's an accountant. Oh and that huge kick he likes to do...thumbs up on that one, Chubbs.

Date: December 18, 2008 22:24

i was goofing about full house--what it looks like though--planet cheezeball

Posted by: little queenie ()
Date: December 18, 2008 22:33

he's only 66? i assumed he was much older. i was going to say "pretty good for a 76 year-old". since the stones are his contemporaries and everything is relative, then the bar for him is raised and yes, this is bad!

Date: December 18, 2008 22:39

Here's where things take a twist. (See what I just did there?)

The first two videos are from July/October 2008, respectively. No telling when the second was recorded, but CBS probably added the first relatively close to the original broadcast date.

But the third is from a November 2007 performance, which got me curious.

It turns out, "Knock Down The Walls" was released on February 20, 2007. This raises the proverbial question, "When is a new single not a new single?"

[www.amazon.com]

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the best part of this video. At roughly 2:05, Chubby pulls the guitarist forward into the spotlight. The only problem? The guitarist isn't actually playing the solo.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-12-18 22:45 by cirrhosis.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1744
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home