Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
An analysis of "Get Yer Ya Ya's Out" and the 1969 NY City Bootlegs.
Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: December 10, 2008 15:57

I found this while digging around for info on the NYC shows from 1969. A pretty thorough analysis. Check it out.

1969 NYC Shows and Bootlegs

Re: An analysis of "Get Yer Ya Ya's Out" and the 1969 NY City Bootlegs.
Posted by: rlngstns ()
Date: December 10, 2008 16:28

have you ever come across any of these albums....???

Posted by: parislocksmith ()
Date: December 10, 2008 16:50

[www.iorr.org]

Thanks to UrbanSteel & Co.

Posted by: rlngstns ()
Date: December 10, 2008 16:52

Thank You

Posted by: WeLoveYou ()
Date: December 10, 2008 16:56

Regarding FYYYO... has anyone noticed that the in-between bits are in stereo and the songs are in mono? A bit odd really...

Posted by: scaffer ()
Date: December 10, 2008 17:12

I bought 'Stoned-M.S.G.', complete with taped-on cover art and purple 'Head Records' label, at an outdoor street record store in L.A. in 1970 for $2.50. Excellent quality, excellent performances (you can hear Mick talking about 'his trowsers.' And a REALLY great medley of 'Under My Thumb/I'm Free.' First rate.

Posted by: parislocksmith ()
Date: December 10, 2008 18:03

And, thanks to Mr. Snow:

[www.hungercity.org]

Posted by: stone-relics ()
Date: December 10, 2008 20:09

The first acetate boot was a super rare vinyl called Broadway. Rare as hens teeth, but great quality, other than super scratchy. I will post a pic when I get home from work. Its a different acetate than the later cds. I know of at least 5 different acetates that all have some difference on them. All are apple, taken from various times during the mixing process.

1. JR 12"
2. JR 12"
3. Person who wishes to me unnamed 2x10" with Ike and Tina and BB
4. F Yer Ya Ya's Out CD acetate
5. Broadway LP aceate

JR

Posted by: pmk251 ()
Date: December 10, 2008 21:07

The song on the '69 tour that took me the longest to catch up to is "I'm Free." It never struck me has a particularly interesting song, music or lyric-wise, until I realized that Taylor had free rein on his solos. And his solos on that song varied widely. His short 20+ second solo on this MSG 27th show is a sweet little on the spot gem. For this band it hits you like a blind left hook. Where did THAT come from?

Posted by: hbwriter ()
Date: December 10, 2008 21:54

i downloaded the above files a while back--is there anything new on there i missed? sounds just like existing ya yas and the soundtracks from gimme shelter--that right?

Date: December 10, 2008 21:59

(I mean, i know some of the mixes are a bit different--but performance-wise--nothing new, right?)

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: December 10, 2008 22:02

That's because I'm Free is not an interesting song. And it is very odd that they bothered to play it on that tour, especially with so many other better songs. Why not Jigsaw Puzzle? That's always amazed me that they've never played that song.

Posted by: harlito1969 ()
Date: December 10, 2008 22:23

skipstone
That's because I'm Free is not an interesting song. And it is very odd that they bothered to play it on that tour, especially with so many other better songs. Why not Jigsaw Puzzle? That's always amazed me that they've never played that song.

True. The early versions on the tour are painful to listen to. I guess they want to make sure the acid was really kicking in.

Date: December 10, 2008 22:27

[www.rollingstonesnet.com]

Here is some more info....both of the acetates on his site are in the JR family. I got them off ebay...

JR

Date: December 10, 2008 22:41

thanks, JR--had not listened to this forever--i love the details on this site--really brings the disc to life in all its crackling nuance

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: December 10, 2008 23:07

It is strange how on some - I recall Love You Live having this as well - the songs sound very clear vocally - the O/D songs, and then the actual talk Mick did between the songs is very...odd sounding. As if it's in the back of the room. Damn overdubbing.

That's what cracks me up so much about LYL's vox O/Ds - they are blaringly obvious because you can hear the live vox bleeding through like a broken levee.

Posted by: peter ()
Date: December 11, 2008 09:55

This analysis of GYYYO first appeared on the www about 12 years ago...I don't know how I found it but I'm pretty sure I wasn't even familiar with IORR at the time...I thought I had found one incredible piece of info surfing around at the time...the orginal posting was several pages long & contained none of the fancy colors/images/photos that this revised page displays...in fact it was more of a document presented like something an attorney would draw up for court...I also believe if my memory serves me right, this document was even MORE detailed than what is presented here...something ONLY an engineer could have provided...the precise edits/cuts for each song...detailed info on overdubs etc...you get the picture....now I don't know who Chris M. is...if he is the author of this document or just signing his name to this revision...I'm a fan of this excellent lp from the 69 tour..but I have to believe that the engineer for this lp was handed master tapes from several shows & asked to 'make it happen'...edit/splice/overdub.....smooth out the warts & use as much of the NYC tapes as possible...he did a pretty good job....Peter

Date: December 14, 2008 08:56

stone-relics
[www.rollingstonesnet.com]

Here is some more info....both of the acetates on his site are in the JR family. I got them off ebay...

JR

Another interesting read.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: December 14, 2008 09:28

Can someone please enlighten me on what exactly the Apple Acetates are? The label says Apple Corps, how can this be? Did the Stones plan to release on Apple. I know they were in talks with The Beatles about joining forces, but nothing came of it. So what is the story of Ya Ya's on Apple Corps?

Posted by: midnrambler ()
Date: December 14, 2008 11:12

parislocksmith
[www.iorr.org]

Thanks to UrbanSteel & Co.
There seems to be something wrong on this website with Baltimore 1969 and Love In Vain...

Posted by: highanddry ()
Date: December 14, 2008 12:15

peter
now I don't know who Chris M. is...if he is the author of this document or just signing his name to this revision..

Chris M. is a long-time hard-core fan of the Stones who has been writing on the internet about various aspects of the Stones live and studio recordings since at least the mid-90s.

He's spent a lot of time painstakingly reviewing the variations that exist in those recordings. He should not be confused with other Chris M.s who have turned up on this and other forums. He REALLY knows his stuff.

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: December 14, 2008 13:55

My God; - if you listen to the complete "Sympathy ftD" (or anything else from that time), - they've been soo hot!!

I really love those 69 tapes!

Did anybody make a disc of all those songs from Chris M.'s alternative YaYa's setlist? So getting a complete (and hopefully best) YaYa's!

Most of those tunes I have myself but I'd still love to have a complete tape/disc of it! So a trade would be nice !

Date: December 14, 2008 19:48

whitem8
Can someone please enlighten me on what exactly the Apple Acetates are? The label says Apple Corps, how can this be? Did the Stones plan to release on Apple. I know they were in talks with The Beatles about joining forces, but nothing came of it. So what is the story of Ya Ya's on Apple Corps?

Not certain, but I do know that the Stones rehearsed for the Hyde Park show, July 1969 at Abbey Road Studios. Perhaps they got some blank acetates then, or for some other reason, just like the blank acetates that Apple had. Good question, though.

JR

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: December 14, 2008 19:59

Don't you mean Apple Studios, not Abbey Road? There's pics of them rehearsing at Apple circa June/July 1969.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-12-14 20:04 by His Majesty.

Date: December 14, 2008 20:29

Oops...of course....Yes....Apple...

Thanks, for the correction. Love to hear those tapes...as I am sure most or all of it was taped.

JR

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: December 14, 2008 20:31

You sure, other pics show no mics on amps or drums?

If they do indeed exist, those tapes would be very interesting to hear!

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: December 14, 2008 20:33

the problem with im free is that it was played to slow early on, but at msg it was properly played which made it spectacular

Date: December 14, 2008 21:48

His Majesty
You sure, other pics show no mics on amps or drums?

If they do indeed exist, those tapes would be very interesting to hear!

I know of people that have seen them 20 years or so ago, but not in circulation.

Would be great to hear.

JR

Date: December 15, 2008 05:37

His Majesty
Don't you mean Apple Studios, not Abbey Road? There's pics of them rehearsing at Apple circa June/July 1969.

Great article, but as a sarcastic Jagger asks the question "can you remember the records Brian plays lead on? Not our early ones - the later ones?"

What is the answer?

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: December 15, 2008 05:42

Not sure about them recording at Apple? By all accounts The Beatles were barely able to record there. Magic Alex supposidly set up a "Cutting edge" studio for the boys, but when they moved during Let it Be from Twikingham to Apple, it was a mess and most the equipment wasn't even working. I would love to know how The Stones set up working at Apple and how they coordinated this, especially since Klein was then trying to rest controll of The Beatles and The Stones were not even talking to him at that point and Jagger warned Lennon about Klein. Only Macca seemed to have the good sense to stay well clear of the crook.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-12-15 09:10 by whitem8.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1538
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home