Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Posted by: mr edward ()
Date: December 5, 2008 19:23

Have a nice weekend everybody!

Re: Post: Black Crowes playing Torn & Frayed (video)
Posted by: CindyC ()
Date: December 5, 2008 19:36

Such a great song. thanks for posting.

Wasn't looking too good, but I was feeling real well.

Posted by: HEILOOBAAS ()
Date: December 5, 2008 19:53

Make it stop.

Posted by: wisertime ()
Date: December 5, 2008 20:03

My favorite Stones song covered by TBC is "Loving Cup", only released via itunes I think. It's from Fillmore 2005 (the show released on DVD but without "Loving Cup"). Great one !
I'm not a great fan of their Stones covers though.

Posted by: Tornandfrayed ()
Date: December 5, 2008 20:09

HEILOOBAAS
Make it stop.

thumbs up
Crowes are lame.
These dudes get compered to 72/73 era Stones. Can you believe that?

Posted by: wisertime ()
Date: December 5, 2008 20:45

Tornandfrayed
HEILOOBAAS
Make it stop.

thumbs up
Crowes are lame.

Nobody compared them to the 72/73 era Stones, they're different. They're one of the best r'n'r band around today, they do their own thing, play what they want, If you don't like it keep your judgments for yourself. And make your own band, ha ha !

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: December 5, 2008 20:53

they're closer in spirit and presentation to the 72-era stones than the stones themselves are....

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: December 6, 2008 03:50

I agree they are NOT lame. One of the few newer bands out there still rocking hard. They have a great catalogue of music, and wear their influences proudly. They can rock hard, play blues, country, and original music as well as covers they are influenced by. They are great to see live, they always put a lot of passion into their shows, and give their fans their all. Great band, but their cover of TAF isn't one of my favorite stones they do. I too love their version of Loving Cup, and they do a mean version of Can't You Hear Me Knocking...

Posted by: andy js ()
Date: December 6, 2008 04:48

they put the Stones to shame playing the Stones own stuff

summut aint right about that

Posted by: andrewm ()
Date: December 6, 2008 06:37

Saw them a few months ago and it was a great show. I kept yelling for 'Torn and Frayed' but we got 'To Love Somebody' and 'Mighty Quinn' in the covers set, both of which sounded fine (though they did 'Hey Grandma' by Moby Grape in Vancouver the next night, damn !). What struck me most at the show was how well the two new-ish members fit in. I loved both Marc Ford and Ed Hawrysch, but Luther Dickinson and Adam Macdougall were both outstanding. Macdougall's organ on the build-up at the end of 'Oh Josephine' gave me chills (and I was able to revisit it courtesy of the Instant Live series).

On the whole "they're just a weak Stones rip-off" subject, I think there are a lot of other bands they sound far more similar to, ie. Humble Pie, Free, Zep, the Allmans and, especially these days, the Band. Personally, I have no problem with a band wearing their influences on their sleeves.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-12-06 09:04 by andrewm.

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: December 6, 2008 16:58

The Crowes are definitely cool, however what is with that cubicle setup on stage?

Date: December 6, 2008 17:24

andrewm
(though they did 'Hey Grandma' by Moby Grape in Vancouver the next night, damn !).

WOW. I love MG and especially that tune! The crowes are the best cover band ever....there was a great 5cd bootleg set put together a few years ago of all the covers they'd done on stage up to that point...think we could probably add 2-3 more discs worth to that.....

Date: December 6, 2008 17:39

Here's Hey Grandma!

Date: December 6, 2008 17:47

thanks for posting that mr. edward! very cool. it's pretty clear to me that in the space of faces/pie/70s-stones style rock'n'roll, the crowes have no earthly peers these days. having said that, although it was great to see the crowes rip thru this moby grape classic, it reminds one that the grape themselves really had no peers in their day, either - especially regarding their glorious 3-part vocal harmonies, which would clearly the inspire CSN to even greater effect....

Date: December 6, 2008 17:55

Hey Grandma was their encore the last time I saw them (march 08). I had never heard the song before, but looked it up and bought some Moby Grape music in the last few months.

That's the beauty of the Crowes: every gig provides some great cover versions and it has led me to some great albums. Actually like I used to look up anything the Stones covered when I became a fan.

The Black Crowes definately form the best rock 'n roll based band of the last years. I don't care if someone calls them rip offs. They have a very distinctive own sound and yes, they are the best cover band on earth.

Next year: new studio album and a new Brothers of a Feather album.

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: December 6, 2008 18:02

..........thanks for the gum ball Mickey.....

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: December 6, 2008 18:47

It would be nice if it was sung in key.

Posted by: pmk251 ()
Date: December 6, 2008 20:18

Yesterday I listened a couple times to the Vancouver '72 performance. There is a certain "reality" to that performance that always touches me. It's a wonderful song and in those moments when Keith and Taylor find their stride the song takes off. Exciting to hear two guitar players search and find their way on what became a one-off performance. They inspired my confidence that anything they attempted was worth the listen.

Posted by: Amused ()
Date: December 6, 2008 20:43

thanks for the tasty video.

Date: December 6, 2008 22:33

Tornandfrayed
HEILOOBAAS
Make it stop.

thumbs up
Crowes are lame.

They are not fit to wipe the coke snot from Keith's nose.

"The wonder of Jimi Hendrix was that he could stand up at all he was so pumped full of drugs." Patsy, Patsy Stone

Date: December 7, 2008 01:37

pmk251
Yesterday I listened a couple times to the Vancouver '72 performance. There is a certain "reality" to that performance that always touches me. It's a wonderful song and in those moments when Keith and Taylor find their stride the song takes off. Exciting to hear two guitar players search and find their way on what became a one-off performance. They inspired my confidence that anything they attempted was worth the listen.

Very nice spirit in your post pmk.

Posted by: Tumblin_Dice_07 ()
Date: December 7, 2008 20:21

I actually liked that performance. I'm not overly crazy about the Crowes. They've had some good songs, but I felt like they never really lived up to the promise they showed with their debut album. Still a good band in comparison to other modern rock bands.

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: December 7, 2008 21:03

They are lame? Haha.

This is from a great tour I had the pleasure to witness:

Posted by: Sohoe ()
Date: December 8, 2008 03:01

<<I had never heard the song before, but looked it up and bought some Moby Grape music in the last few months.>>

Moby Grape's self-titled debut is a fantastic album imo. Tracks like Omaha, Fall on You, Sitting by the Window, Hey Grandma etc are all great. And yes, T&A, great harmonies. Love the guitar work as well.

Unfortunately their output suffered from various legal hassles. And finally Skip Spence loosing it completely also did them no good.

Got a soft spot for their '69 album as well, although it's nowhere near as good as their first release mainly because of the loss of Skip Spence.

Date: December 10, 2008 14:27

TooTough
They are lame? Haha.

This is from a great tour I had the pleasure to witness:

Now that's a great opener! There used to be a video on youtube of No Speak No Slave of the Pinkpop 1992 show, loved it.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1330
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home