Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
OT: African music
Posted by: Wuudy ()
Date: April 13, 2010 12:20

Hi guys,

Some of topic music for once.
Does anyone know great typical african music?

Thanks

Cheers,
Wuudy

Re: OT: African music
Posted by: Sohoe ()
Date: April 13, 2010 12:47

Anything Fela Kuti. You can't go wrong with that

Posted by: humanriff77 ()
Date: April 13, 2010 13:09

I like music from Mali, try Boubacar Traore or Habib Koite. There is endless great African music, here is a cool blog that specilizes in 70's Afro-Funk stuff

[www.voodoofunk.blogspot.com]

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: April 13, 2010 15:36

The "Rough Guide" series are a great way of exploring the many African styles: take your pick, and then you can buy more of anyone you really enjoy:

[www.amazon.com]

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: April 13, 2010 16:20

A good suggestion by Green Lady. Africa's a big continent with a lot of musical styles. Congolese soukous and rumba, Afrobeat, Senegalese mbalax and 60s and 70s Ethiopian music are among my favourites. This magazine on world music sometimes comes with free CDs but also has a free podcast and free app for ipod or i phone:

[www.songlines.co.uk]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-04-13 16:21 by Beast.

Posted by: Zack ()
Date: April 13, 2010 17:07

Ali Farke Toure is the Hendrix of African music. Very repetitive, but extremely cool.

For a poppier sound, seek out Amadou and Mariam, both of whom are blind.

All these people are Malian.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: April 13, 2010 18:17

As stated above, Africa is a very large continent, with hundreds of cultures. What is 'great typical african music' is impossible to answer, without some additional examples, etc.

That being said, one of my favorites is Ali Farka Toure, who I would compare more to John Lee Hooker than to Hendrix. But there is for example also great Rai music from Northern Africa.

Posted by: Wuudy ()
Date: April 13, 2010 22:02

Thanks, guys!
Of course "African" music is not specific enough but I didn't anything yet so I couldn't be more specific.
I was watching "the long way down" a documentary by Ewan McGregor and Charlie Boorman. They rode motor bikes from Jonh O'Groats, Schotland all the way to Cape Town and they had some fantastic "african" music in it.

Cheers,
Wuudy

Posted by: 72stones ()
Date: April 14, 2010 00:29

If you like Highlife music from West Africa (covering Nigeria, Ghana, Benin & Togo,) from the late '60s up to the very early '80s, then you need look no further than two great labels who have been releasing great compilations. I speak of the Soundway label out of Brighton, England and the Analog Africa label out of Germany. I say this with great confidence. If you start picking up stuff from these two labels, you will find yourself in pure bliss.
Two comps got me started and hooked. The first one was the Nigeria Special comp from Soundway. David Fricke of Rolling Stone was the one who wrote about it about three years back. The other one is African Scream Contest from Analog Africa. When I got both of these, my jaw completely dropped after listening to them. This music will knock you out of your socks.
You will find yourself wanting to get other great titles from both of these outfits. Go to your favorite retail outlet online and also do Google searches on Soundway and Analog Africa. You will find their websites very easily. Analog Africa has a blog site where they keep people informed of what's going on. Please people, don't pass this music by. It's old stuff you've never heard before that will be happy you've discovered.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: April 14, 2010 00:45

Maybe you're looking for something like these (from Zimbabwe)

- and check out this guy:

Lots more to find on YouTube.

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: April 14, 2010 01:24

Saw Baaba Maal (from senegal) in Hamburg. Some strange rhythms
were going on where me and my friend had to try a lot until we got into
the groove. It was very interesting, though.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-04-14 01:24 by TooTough.

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: April 14, 2010 04:29

Check this out. That's passion.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: April 14, 2010 06:08

Love the style, but all I really know of it is Paul Simon's two albums.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: April 14, 2010 10:57

Hey here's one for ya......

2007 ... Came outta Savoy Hotel London about 2am and start hailin' a cab
to get across town...A very drunk American Stones fan following sees me score
a cab and tells me she doesn't have far ta go and asks can she share the fare ....Okay

We both jump in cab ... Really BIG black guy driving cab... She
gives directions where she wants to go but after a few blocks she starts an
argument on purpose with cabbie and jumps out at lights and refuses to pay her part of the fare .....
She runs off and he tells me I gotta pay the total fare.... OKAY OKAY MAN but I don't even know her....

I tell him where I wanna go and to calm things down I ask where he's from...He tells me Nigeria ....

Only artist I can think of is King Sunny Ada so I yell out his name and tell him I love the JuJu Music album.....

Cabbie replies WHATTA!! King Sunny he from MY tribe ...MY district ... He royal!!!

He asks Hey wheres you from? .... Tell him Australia.... He can't
believe someone from other side of the world knows of King Sunny so we
talk music and that sorta shit till we get to destination...

Go to pay fare but he says....Hey mon that notta your fault backa
there and you know The King Sunny Ada so you only pay your part of the fare ...

Thanks man....COOL GUY.....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Lorenz ()
Date: April 14, 2010 11:10

make sure you check some music from Mali, they have a great music scene! Tinariwen, Amadou and Mariam, etc. - you will love it. Then there is some great funk/rock from Nigeria from the 70ies and overall, just really a lot to discover. I got into music from Africa around 1-2 years ago and it's fantastic what you can find smiling smiley

Date: April 14, 2010 14:22

ROCKMAN

Date: April 14, 2010 14:28

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: April 14, 2010 14:47

I'm not big on musicals but might have to crack and go and see Fela the musical when it hits the London stage. I did see one of his sons, Femi Kuti, in concert a few times and it was wild! Nothing like it.

Posted by: erikjjf ()
Date: April 14, 2010 21:19

I saw Ladysmith Black Mambazo a few years ago. Worth checking out.

Date: April 14, 2010 21:32

And don;t forget the Master Musicians of Joujouka!

Posted by: behroez ()
Date: April 14, 2010 23:01

Fela Kuti? no my friend the spirit is in REAL African music as found in the villages. Like this one from Lesotho, a very hard instrument to play, believe me i tried.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-04-14 23:02 by behroez.

Posted by: behroez ()
Date: April 14, 2010 23:25

This is not really music but a short clip of dancing from Lesotho. I can tell you when you are there in the flesh and see these boys dance with their fighting sticks you just feel the power coming from it. These are the Basotho after all the only tribe Shaka couldn't conquer, this is the land of the great African warriors.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: April 14, 2010 23:51

Salif Keita, Ali Farka Touré, and the wonderful Ladysmith Black Mambazo!

Date: April 14, 2010 23:54

behroez ..thanks for the clips .....interesting

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Amica ()
Date: May 2, 2012 07:23

Lorenz
make sure you check some music from Mali, they have a great music scene! Tinariwen, Amadou and Mariam, etc. - you will love it. Then there is some great funk/rock from Nigeria from the 70ies and overall, just really a lot to discover. I got into music from Africa around 1-2 years ago and it's fantastic what you can find smiling smiley

I just ordered Amadou and Mariam's Folila - I hope I will like it.

(I thought it may be interesting to try some new music that ist different from what my teenage children are listening to.)

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: May 2, 2012 08:34

I can tell you when you are there in the flesh and see these boys dance with their fighting sticks you just feel the power coming from it.
Yeah I remember those days when a bottle of beer was steady in the hand and we were making moves to the tunes of 'Street fighting man' ....smiling smiley

smoking smileycool smiley
Blues Brothers

2 1 2 0

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: May 2, 2012 09:40

Being with a Zulu girl, my ears are occasionally assaulted by traditional South African music. No, I jest: it's OK. I really know little-to-nothing about contemporsry South African or West African music, though.

Posted by: yorkey ()
Date: May 2, 2012 12:19

Here's modern music from South Africa:

Not what you were looking for? Me neither. Such good music from this country, but this is the shit that tops our charts unfortunately.

You got the Sun, You got the Moon,
and you've got
The Rolling Stones

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: May 2, 2012 12:31

Thanks for posting, Yorky. I dont actually know how clued up the other half is with the current SA music scene. She seems more interested in what's coming out of the U.S. and UK.

I'll get to Joberg one day, I hope.

Where abouts in South Africa are you, btw?

Date: May 2, 2012 13:44

Wait For Me is the meeting of Stef Kamil Carlens and his Belgian collectif Zita Swoon Group with the Burkinabe Awa Démé and Mamadou Diabaté Kibié. The sound is a mixture of raw acoustic blues and folk and the traditional ‘mandigue’ music from West-Africa. Awa Démé sings in Bambara, Stef Kamil Carlens in English and French. The songs deal with the moral and the problems of modern African society.

[www.zitaswoongroup.be]

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1167
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home