Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Madison Square Garden 1969 - Memories?
Posted by: HEILOOBAAS ()
Date: November 26, 2008 22:54

Anybody who was at these shows care to share the experience with us???????

Re: Madison Square Garden 1969 - Memories?
Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: November 27, 2008 00:01

C'mon...paint it black you devils.

Posted by: ROPENI ()
Date: November 27, 2008 01:29

I was there for 2 of the 3 shows didn't make the afternoon show, l think it was 11/27,11/28,it was lots of fun l was sitting on the second level of the garden left side,l remenber seeing Janis and Jimi sitting behind the amps,just digging the music,made some good friends there,as a matter of fact the next weekend The Doors were playing at the Felt Forum,so a few of us went to see them. Also remenber the sharing of illegal substances as the Stones were playing,and the music amazing, i think but not sure that l may be in a couple of shots from G.S.
anyway that was the first time l had ever seen the Stones live,from them on l was hooked and seen them in every tour,..

"No dope smoking no beer sold after 12 o'clock"

Posted by: akgameboy ()
Date: November 27, 2008 08:41

Wow man. I envy you so much. I would give anything to have been at the MSG '69 concerts.

Posted by: timbernardis ()
Date: November 27, 2008 09:28

Anyone who was there, I think, has a special status on these boards. The shows are legendary, therefore u are part of the legend.

plexi

Posted by: Gimme Shelter ()
Date: November 27, 2008 13:20

hi ROPENI. could you please share some DOORS memories. next year a 4 cd set of the felt forum shows will be released. would be cool if the stones did the same with the msg shows...

Date: November 27, 2008 14:39

Gimme Shelter
hi ROPENI. could you please share some DOORS memories. next year a 4 cd set of the felt forum shows will be released. would be cool if the stones did the same with the msg shows...

I will be honest here, its being 39 years and my memory is not that good anymore lol.. l do remenber,having great seats for that show,l don't even think it was sold out.anyway a few of us that had met at the Stones concert the week before met at 34 and 8 ave,and went in,back then the Doors did lots of jamming in their songs on Light my fire they went crazy with it,J.M was higher than a kite, and so were most of the audience,passing botles of wine and smoke to everyone around them,nowdays it would be crazy to drink from the same bottle as a whole bunch of other people have put their mouths in them ,but then it was part of the concert ritual.Anyway lam looking forward to that 4cd set from that concert..

Posted by: WeLoveYou ()
Date: November 27, 2008 16:15

Hi Ropeni....... Can you give us any more details on the Stones MSG concerts? How were they when they came on...picking up the guitars, tuning up, the in between song banter etc. How was the sound, clear or just a huge noise? Do you remember Midnight Rambler? Any other highlights / songs etc?

I realise it's hard to remember (I can hardly remember seeing Dylan in London the 80s!) but it will mean a lot to us here.

Cheers

Posted by: timbernardis ()
Date: November 27, 2008 16:42

and, where was the felt forum, always heard of it?

p

Posted by: JK ()
Date: November 27, 2008 17:43

This is a bit OT but I know that at least one fan has seen all Stones concerts at MSG.

Posted by: VOODOODENTIST ()
Date: November 27, 2008 18:05

Amazing..39 years ago I went to my first Stones show sat in MSG sec 349 direct on center to the stage and those opening riffs of JJF still dance in my mind and have been "hooked like heroin" ever since! A couple hundred shows later they still energize me......ironically I took my teens to the B2B show in Jan 98 and really thought that night would be the last time........an emotional night...but I was WRONG! VERY WRONG!

Thank God we got 3 more tours after that and the party never seems to stop but it has taken a pause since August 26th 2007 the last show at the 02 Arena

Lets hope 2009 is the year we get another tour because I am ready and will close down my buiness for what really could be the "last time"

IORR&
Happy Holidays to ALL!

Posted by: Rufestone ()
Date: November 27, 2008 21:22

Next Tour 2010 - 2012 - 50 Years Rolling stones on the Road ..... spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: hbwriter ()
Date: November 27, 2008 23:22

felt is part of the MSG complex-a smaller theater in the building next to the rotunda--still there, under a new name--

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: November 28, 2008 00:10

I think, if one is honest, you don't remember too much musically from a show that was so many years ago!

Unfortunally I wasn't at MSG, but I saw them the next tour in Europe 1970.
And I hardly remember anything MUSICALLy from those gigs.
It's more a general feeling or little adventures and things that happened around those shows or in the audience that are still in my mind!

I have a few memories of what Jagger did,like pouring beer over some guys who were screaming for Satisfaction all the time.
But those are only a few scraps. It's too long ago . .

Posted by: ERC6761 ()
Date: November 28, 2008 00:24

CousinC
I think, if one is honest, you don't remember too much musically from a show that was so many years ago!

Unfortunally I wasn't at MSG, but I saw them the next tour in Europe 1970.
And I hardly remember anything MUSICALLy from those gigs.
It's more a general feeling or little adventures and things that happened around those shows or in the audience that are still in my mind!

I have a few memories of what Jagger did,like pouring beer over some guys who were screaming for Satisfaction all the time.
But those are only a few scraps. It's too long ago . .

agree totally. I was at one of the MSG shows in 69, couldn't tell you which one (have not kept the ticket or any other reminders of the day), remember enjoying a great concert but nothing else of the day. Was in the middle of the crowd but couldn't be specific as to where. At the time the concert was not of great significance, just another of many big gigs around at the time.

Memories of Woodstock are somewhat clearer, possibly as a result of being "reminded" by the movie.

All just too long ago...............

Posted by: DaveG ()
Date: November 28, 2008 01:26

I have to disagree with Cousin C regarding not being able to remember much about concerts from 39 years ago, in that I remember a great deal of the Stones' '69 show at the LA Forum, not just their performance but the supporting acts as well. A few years ago I came across a recording of the first show, the one I attended, and many of the musical nuances and much of the between song chatter that I had remembered was captured on that recording, just as I had remembered. All these years later it is still quite clear. In fact, there are other concerts I attended at that time of which I have a good memory, such as Cream, Ten Years After, Procol Harum, Three Dog Night, and a few others.

Date: November 28, 2008 01:27

WeLoveYou
Hi Ropeni....... Can you give us any more details on the Stones MSG concerts? How were they when they came on...picking up the guitars, tuning up, the in between song banter etc. How was the sound, clear or just a huge noise? Do you remember Midnight Rambler? Any other highlights / songs etc?

I realise it's hard to remember (I can hardly remember seeing Dylan in London the 80s!) but it will mean a lot to us here.

Cheers
Man for me it was such a high, although l had been a Stones fan since 65 when l arrive in the usa from Cuba,l had never seen them live.
For those shows l bought two tickets for each night(after those shows sold out then they added the afternoon show, (thats the line before JJF "welcome to the breakfast show) anyway the music was loud and clear and everyone was standing up the whole show,Midnite Rambler with Mick beating the stage with his rhinestone belt was the highlight for me,Mick'e omega shirt,Keith pants.The opening, the stage had curtains then the announcer(sam Cutler) used the line "for the first time in three years the greatest rock and roll band in the world" and bang JJF,and then Mick's trouble with his pants,also the ending STFM totally awsome.
As a side story from those concerts l was attending college in NYC and had been after this girl to go out with me and she never pay me no mind,but when she found out l had Stones tickets then she wanted me to take her to the shows,l said f--k you,and on the night of the concerts gave the extra ticket away to some stranger at the Garden door, in hisight maybe l should have taken her,she was FINEspinning smiley sticking its tongue out stupid of me. lol

Date: November 28, 2008 17:51

Ropeni--without a doubt, you have the BEST stories of the era--great stuff, man

Date: November 28, 2008 18:19

hbwriter
Ropeni--without a doubt, you have the BEST stories of the era--great stuff, man
Hey Chris,Thanks,by the way have you interviewd Lisa Robinson?,she was also one of the scene makers from the 70's and a very good writter about the whole new york music scene,her magazines were a must for that time.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-11-28 18:20 by ROPENI.

Date: November 28, 2008 18:21

R--i've met her a few times in nyc but never formally interviewed her--it's funny, she sort of vanished--i'd imagine he has a pretty good book brewing in her--remember rock scene??

Date: November 28, 2008 18:25

"remember rock scene??

Hell yeah, l still have some of those magazines around, it would be nice if you ever can, talk to her, her stories would be great...

Date: November 28, 2008 18:33

R--you know, maybe i'll try and track her down now--you've inspired me once more! smiling smiley

hey remember, if ya ever find any more shots (jagger in pink/purple) from 6/22/75, lemme know! smiling smiley

Date: November 28, 2008 18:35

if memory serves she was at vanity fair--doing music stuff, but not like the really inside rock and roll pieces of the 70s/80s--but i have not seen her name for a bit

Posted by: WeLoveYou ()
Date: November 28, 2008 18:46

Interesting posts. About remembering things, I guess it depends how well you commit things to memory. Also there's your state of mind.....when I saw Bob Dylan I'd had a dew drinks so was very hazy that night. I try to be more sober these days so I can remember concerts!!

Date: November 28, 2008 19:01

hbwriter
R--you know, maybe i'll try and track her down now--you've inspired me once more! smiling smiley

hey remember, if ya ever find any more shots (jagger in pink/purple) from 6/22/75, lemme know! smiling smiley

I remenber a story she did maybe around 75 about lending her panties to Mick for a show, l guess he had forgotten his underwear or something, if you talk to her ask her about it, it should be a funny story.
And yes l have not forgotten about those 6/22 shots hopefully l will be working on those pictures before the year's end..

Date: November 28, 2008 19:05

R--i remember that story--there was even a photo of them drying on a giant fan, right?

and THANKS

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: November 28, 2008 19:05

Speaking of Lisa Robinson, is her husband--rock writer/editor Richard Robinson--still around?? I believe he was the editor of Rock Scene and Hit Parader in the mid-70's

Richard also produced a few albums--David Johansen's first solo record and Street Hassle by Lou Reed.

And he wrote my favorite liner notes for "The Very Best of the Lovin' Spoonful" in which he captured the essence of the band and the era in which they thrived in a handful of paragraphs. Oddly enough, in those notes he cites what he considers to be the best liner notes of all time: the first pressing of Zal Yanovsky's "Alive and Well in Argentina." (The purple Peter Max cover, not the reissue. They are brilliant!)

Lisa worked for the Stones on the TOTA '75. She wrote a story of how Mick did one of those shows in her borrowed underpants.

Date: November 28, 2008 19:18

God i loved that first johansen record--richard was also a magician and ended up developing magic products, i think he hosted a magic tv show, a web site--all sorts of things related to magic in recent years

he also (supposedly) amassed a crazy amount if early, raw video footage in the early 70s of every band coming up and out of nyc--he was an early adapter and had some primitive cameras that he used quite a bit--a saw a sample once of lou reed in his apartment playing sweet jane on a couch in about 1970--amazing stuff

Date: November 28, 2008 21:18

hbwriter
God i loved that first johansen record--richard was also a magician and ended up developing magic products, i think he hosted a magic tv show, a web site--all sorts of things related to magic in recent years

he also (supposedly) amassed a crazy amount if early, raw video footage in the early 70s of every band coming up and out of nyc--he was an early adapter and had some primitive cameras that he used quite a bit--a saw a sample once of lou reed in his apartment playing sweet jane on a couch in about 1970--amazing stuff

Maybe you can talk to Richard into releasing some of that stuff it would be amazing,also how about the ownwer of the club "the scene" Steve Paul(he may be death,l don't know) but Jimi H,Jim M,and whole bunch of other now famous folks would go to his club afterhours to hang out and jam,l got in a couple of times and it was crazy,Sex Drugs and Rock Roll all the way..

Date: November 28, 2008 21:32

Rop--i'm on it smiling smiley

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1807
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home