Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Semi OT - How was Tinariwen received by the stones crowd at Slane Castle in 2007?
Posted by: VOODOOSEBI ()
Date: April 7, 2010 12:39

Can´t find anything about it in the reviews.

Can someone who was there post a short impression.

Thanks in advance...

Re: Semi OT - How was Tinariwen received by the stones crowd at Slane Castle in 2007?
Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: April 7, 2010 15:31

..with polite bemusement.

Was a bit early in the day and I think most of us were too busy trying to avoid drowning in the mud, and so a troupe of bizarrely attired guys in what appeared to be Sheikh-like headgear singing bluesy style songs in Tamashek and speaking in French probably went over most people's heads.

I thought they were quite good, but I was more interested in staying warm and dry!

Re: Semi OT - How was Tinariwen received by the stones crowd at Slane Castle in 2007?
Date: April 7, 2010 15:37

thanks gazza, you´re the best

when i first heard tinariwen, i thought that this is music which should influence the stones a bit. i thought micks voice would fit in very good and keiths guitar playing also. not so much this time, but at the time the stones risk a bit more, like when they did can you hear the music or continental drift...

so i thought the stones audience must recognize this and like it..

Posted by: DD ()
Date: April 7, 2010 15:52

Hello,

I'd been looking forward to seeing them for ages and I thought they were excellent. Given the festival nature of the day, with 4 or 5 support acts, I think that the crowd were quite happy to have a listen to who or whatever appeared on the stage. As Gazza says, though, the conditions were hardly what the band themselves are used to - it was incongruous to say the least to see a load of fellows in desert gear in a cold wet field in Ireland.

Declan

Date: April 7, 2010 15:56

thank you delan, too!

i´ve seen them in a small club in berlin and i think they were excellent

Posted by: R ()
Date: April 7, 2010 16:56

I was very much looking forward to hearing them as a friend here in the States had turned me onto their record. I was glad to hear they sounded much like the album bringing the same passion and intensity to their live performance. The Irish audience was very polite if not overly enthusiastic. More patient than a US crowd would have been, I assure you. There was some dissatisfaction expressed as they worked to their finale but the folks that braved the weather early that day were obviously passionate music lovers and Tinariwen delivered the goods. I was more taken aback that Irish music legend Frankie Gavin opened the proceedings with Tinarewin following him. What shocked me the most, however, was that in the land of Guiness you could get any beer you wanted at the show as long as it was Heineken.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: April 7, 2010 17:39

VOODOOSEBI
thanks gazza, you´re the best

when i first heard tinariwen, i thought that this is music which should influence the stones a bit. i thought micks voice would fit in very good and keiths guitar playing also. not so much this time, but at the time the stones risk a bit more, like when they did can you hear the music or continental drift...

so i thought the stones audience must recognize this and like it..

In fairness, and speaking from experience, I think Slane isn't really your typical 'audience' for the Stones, or any act who happen to be playing there.

A sizeable percentage of the crowd would attend anyway even if it was you & I onstage having a yodelling competition. For thousands of people, its seen as a festival and a good excuse to get drunk.

The same applies to a lot of outdoor concert events in Ireland.

Posted by: dalmolin ()
Date: April 7, 2010 18:46

Hello boys

I am a french guy who went to Slane Castle in 2007
I arrived very early and i could enjoy Tinariwen show IMO they were quite excellent despite the meteo conditions ( not saharian at all )
it really was a good warmup even if this music could seem a bit strange according to the irish landscape

Excuse me if my english is not so good

Date: April 8, 2010 01:31

thank you all so much much for your reviews! this is a great board!

Posted by: custom55 ()
Date: April 8, 2010 02:39

Ah... memories... I found this video of Tinariwen. I never heard of them before but enjoyed their set that day at Slane.

But I took this video at Slane

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: April 8, 2010 05:32

I tried to arrive early to see the warm-up bands (in the mud). Being the first time in Ireland, it took me almost 4 hours from the time I left my B&B in southern Dublin until we got into the concert grounds. I made it from Dingle to Dublin in 5 to 6 hours, and I was told the drive to Slane from Dublin should takes 45 minutes, maybe a little more with traffic. We finally arrived less than one hour before the Stones hit the stage.

What was the lesson learned? I should have spent the few extra Euros and got a GPS system with my rented car...Next Time.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1677
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home