Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Down Under Bands
Date: April 4, 2010 13:48

Dagger, we mentioned the Church early on. The one thing I have learned about the Church is that is worth to get a good many of their albums, because IMO the better stuff are the obscure album tracks. A bit harder.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: April 4, 2010 13:57

They're a funny old band Palace - sometimes really up and then at other times wallowing in gloomy dirge-like downer rock, which is down to the hedonistic pursuits of band leader Steve Kilbey.
Still love em though. The Sometime Anywhere album has a lot of great upbeat songs as well as the psychedelic doomfests.

Posted by: klrkcr ()
Date: April 4, 2010 14:38

ZOOT- did a good version of Eleanor Rigby.

Posted by: klrkcr ()
Date: April 4, 2010 14:40

Daddy Cool.

Date: April 4, 2010 16:38

I am totally digging that frontman for the Saints. Wish there was some recordings by these guys.
Dagger, I like the album "Priest=Aura" a lot. There is a song called "The Disillusionist" which as a great chorus. Haunting , I guess would be the word.

Posted by: mandu ()
Date: April 4, 2010 17:13

The swingers
The knobs
The clean
Dimmer
Toy Love
The Screaming Mee Mees
The crocidiles
The Bats
flight of the conchords
Hello Sailor
when the cats away

Feel The Fear
And Do It Anyway

Posted by: andrewm ()
Date: April 4, 2010 21:22

Great to see someone cited The Eastern Dark. Great big hooks, frontman/songwriter James Darroch left us way too early, age 26 I believe, back in '86 or so. I'm in touch with their bass player Bill Gibson on Facebook-super nice guy, and has impeccable taste !

Posted by: humanriff77 ()
Date: April 4, 2010 22:39

Yes that was really sad about James Darroch, the Eastern Dark were better than Nirvana, who knows what would have happened if he hadnt died. If I remember right Bill Gibson even toured with Nirvana. I met him many years ago, nice guy and a great musician he had a crazy Beefeart type band called Smelly Tongues which i really liked.

Posted by: andrewm ()
Date: April 4, 2010 23:23

He may very well have toured with Nirvana, he definitely played with Evan Dando in some version of the Lemonheads for a while.

Date: April 9, 2010 05:15

I got the Loved Ones.
They crack me up; look at these titles:
The Loved One
Everlovin Man
A Love Like Ours
Love Song
This Is Love
More Than Love
The Woman I Love
The Loverly Car
I Want You To Love Me

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: April 9, 2010 05:36

Go Palace .... Gerry Humphries looked a moved lil' like Mick ...

Remember going into the Toorak Hotel around 1970 and
Jerry was there working as a barman ....White silk pirate
like shirt ... pouting lips and he even moved like Mick when serving a beer

The Loved One was a massive hit down here ....INXS covered it in early days

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Rubicon ()
Date: April 9, 2010 06:46

Powderfinger have just announced they are splitting up,

approx 1.00 p.m Melbourne time today, Friday, Pity

Date: April 11, 2010 01:52

too bad Rubicon. been getting into Powderfinger and Sleepy Jackson. I;m kind of taking a couple bands at a time.

Posted by: georgeV ()
Date: April 11, 2010 02:18

rover
The Angels are the best Aussie band. Listening to them right now. Pitty they never cracked it overseas. Musically much more versatile and interesting than AC/DC but just never got the big break in the States. Still touring so do yourself a favour......

I remember the Angels back in the 80's when I visited Oz. They were awesome. They had to call themselves Amgel City when they came to North America as some other band had the rights to the name.

Posted by: Deathgod ()
Date: April 11, 2010 02:18

INXS
now that was a band

Australian Crawl
Richard Clapton
Sunnyboys
Noiseworks
Hoodoo Gurus
Rushcutter
Nick Barker

Posted by: colonial ()
Date: April 11, 2010 02:53

THE ANGELS..My favourite album *Dark Room* released in 1980..my favourite song *No Secrets*..Certainly one of the best bands to come out of Australia.I think theyre from Adelaide theres been a few bands out of that City.In 1993 the New Zealand chapter of the Hells Angels asked them to perform for them.

Posted by: NickB ()
Date: April 11, 2010 02:59

What really surprises me is no one has mentioned my 2nd fave band of all time.....Crowded House. Neil Finn is a songwriting GOD.

NickB

You can't always get what you want.....

www.myspace.com/thesonkings

Date: April 11, 2010 13:16

Nick B..I wouldnt go as far as to say Neil Finn was a song writing God.Hes done some good stuff over the years.I like his brother Tims style more and hes a bit more laid back.Both Neil and Tim Finn are still pretty active on the music scene.I think they teamed up with Jimmy Barnes a while ago and done a bit of touring here.

Date: April 15, 2010 00:28

Melbourne AGE - 15 April 2010

ROCKMAN

Date: April 15, 2010 04:55

Rockman..I just checked out Johnny OKeefe Bio.By the sounds of it he lead a pretty hard out life theres a few things there I didnt know about him epecially the booze and drugs..he was that upset about Elvis dead he said to his friends *ill be next* and not after that he died.Hes went the same way as a lot of other musicians have sad really..its an all to familiar life story of a Rockstar.But he was certainly right up there as a singer.

Posted by: Beelyboy ()
Date: April 15, 2010 07:43

i always remember christina amplett and her group. her 'i touch myself' a great tune...loved her live... her look; her ultra fine raspy beautiful beautiful voice...good albums great sound wonderful band .... divinyls definetly top notch band outta there...imo. absolutely top notch stuff. love her... someone, maybe rocky, told me she's been ill in ensuing years etc....hope she's ok...love her voice and music...

beelyboy...Think About it

Posted by: Wuudy ()
Date: April 15, 2010 10:49

I like Powderfinger. Check this video. They are big stones fans as you can see from 3 minutes on :-)

Cheers,
Wuudy

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: April 15, 2010 10:54

The Saints is my inspiration from down under. I've got their recordings pretty complete, even Bailys and Keuppers.
thumbs up

Ed

Date: April 15, 2010 11:16

someone, maybe rocky, told me she's been ill in ensuing years etc

Yeah beely Chrissie has been suffering from multiple sclerosisis
for the last few years... She's also married to Charley Drayton --- XPensive Wino

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Meise ()
Date: April 15, 2010 14:27

AC/DC
Jet

LOve them both!

Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: April 15, 2010 16:53

surely the aussies can claim the Bee Gees...

Date: April 15, 2010 22:04

Eleanor Rigby..The Bee Gees were born in The Isle of Man then moved to Chorlton- Manchester for a few years.Then moved to Brisbane-Australia in the 1950s ..and started that great band The Bee Gees.But theres so many Australian bands that were started by the British here..or to have British members in them one of my favourite Australia bands The Angels lead singer Doc Neeson is from Belfast-N.Ireland...AC/DC was started by Angus and Malcolm Young both born in Glasgow-Scotland.

Posted by: Ernest Craven ()
Date: April 15, 2010 22:13

Went to see Powderfinger at Manchester Academy last year, the played about 3 mins of Midnight Rambler in their encore. Top band, shame they have split up.

Date: April 15, 2010 22:51

Ernest Craven..*Powderfinger* will probadly have a come back tour later on..usual story.

Date: April 16, 2010 00:10

Just received the Angels album.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1314
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home