Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Tom Petty's a Ronnie Fan
Posted by: mckalk ()
Date: October 10, 2008 16:28

Does anyone listen to Tom Petty's xm radio show? He was extolling the virtues of Mr.Wood the other day and played "Seven Days" and "Flying" back to back. They sure sounded good in digital. I know it seems like Ronnie has lost is way a little bit, but the man has a rock and roll guitar sound for the ages. I personally always thought he was better when he had to carry the load himself.

Re: Tom Petty's a Ronnie Fan
Posted by: mr edward ()
Date: October 10, 2008 16:37

He truly was better before 1976. Just listen to Stay with me!

Posted by: Amused ()
Date: October 10, 2008 16:54

mr edward

mr edward, I get your point but listen to Black Limousine! ;-)

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: October 10, 2008 17:09

mr edward

Check out his licks on Some Girls and Tattoo You and say that again. The Faces stuff doesn't hold a candle to that. Also listen to the slide on The Worst.

JumpingKentFlash

Date: October 10, 2008 17:27

JumpingKentFlash
mr edward

Check out his licks on Some Girls and Tattoo You and say that again. The Faces stuff doesn't hold a candle to that. Also listen to the slide on The Worst.

Great recordings, but still, Ronnie has never sounded as brutal (and important) as on Stay With Me with the Faces. 'Licks' vs. 'Riffs', Kent.

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: October 10, 2008 18:37

JumpingKentFlash
[

Nonsense.

Ronnie's incendiary guitar during his pre-Stones days on those Faces and Rod Stewart Mercury albums isn't a "candle"--it's a flame-thrower burning down the house with those chunka-funka riffs on "That's All You Need" and "True Blue" "Stay With Me" "I'm Losing You" etc. etc.

He was his own man back then....not Keith's little doggie on a tight leash allowed to yap every once in a while. And then kept out of the house (like he's suddenly not house-broken) during the Bigger Bang sessions.

If your world-view of Ronnie is that of the sideman in the Stones, perhaps you prefer that incarnation of him.

I liked Ronnie best when he had his own style and his own personality. When the only weaving he did was with Mac's blustering keyboards.

Date: October 10, 2008 18:58

Exactly, loog droog.

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: October 10, 2008 19:27

Tom Petty and I are on the same page.
Damn, that makes me pretty cool, huh?

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: October 10, 2008 19:35

Actually, I find that its more the sound of the Wood era Stones (at least in the 75-78 period) to be "Ronnized" rather than Wood being "Keithized", if you get what I mean (that is if there is any meaning in what I say).

It was only after I got deep down into the Faces music that I understood what an impact Ronnie had on the Stones sound.

C

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: October 10, 2008 19:49

ronnie played (or at least was on stage) during a dylan/petty msg show in '86...

Posted by: milio77 ()
Date: October 10, 2008 20:17

Ronnie is one of the greatest.

And that's all I have to say about this.

Date: October 10, 2008 20:39

milio77

And that's all I have to say about this.

forrest? forrest gump?

Posted by: Adrian-L ()
Date: October 10, 2008 20:48

milio77

one of the greatest, what?

Posted by: Rank Stranger ()
Date: October 10, 2008 21:33

I certainly would like to hear a few of Tom Petty's radio shows; can anybody please post a non-torrent link!?!

Posted by: Hound Dog ()
Date: October 10, 2008 22:16

Tom Petty does a great version of Down Home Girl.. Hearing his version makes you realize how so many Stones songs from the 60s could be reinvented live today and sound great.

And about Ronnie, to me his time in the Faces was brilliant, nothing he has done with the Stones even compares. Yes he had some nice tours where he played great with the Stones but with the Faces he was on another level.

Posted by: SimonV ()
Date: October 11, 2008 01:21

JumpingKentFlash
mr edward

What's with the 'holding a candle to something' lately?

Simon
myspace.com/koningsimon

Posted by: mckalk ()
Date: October 11, 2008 05:56

I'm amazed when I watch some of those Faces concert videos on You Tube. It's Ronnie doing it all and he is one focused SOB.

In concert with the Stones it seems like it's a couple of licks here and there, then look and see what Keith is doing. Or he's puffing away on a cig waiting until his slide is needed. I truly believe he is not challenged in the Stones.

Ronnie definitely has had his moments with the Stones, but his guitar sound was The Faces!

Posted by: Adrian-L ()
Date: October 11, 2008 10:47

does anyone have a download link, to the Petty Radio shows?

Posted by: little queenie ()
Date: October 13, 2008 20:36

i'm not surprised - he was in the audience at the wiltern show.

Date: October 13, 2008 21:07

little queenie

and mike campbell...though, as i recall, they weren't sitting together. stills, neil young....hmmmm...i'm forgetting...who else?

Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: October 13, 2008 22:26

JumpingKentFlash
mr edward

Can't agree with you there Kent regarding Ronnie's Faces stuff. The aforementioned Faces tracks and others are some of the best rock and roll guitar I have ever heard. Loog droog, your comments summed it up rather well!

As good as match Ronnie has been with the Stones, he is somewhat fettered by them as he is not allowed to fully shine and stretch out when playing with them over the last 20 years or so.

Posted by: Fan Since 1964 ()
Date: October 13, 2008 22:50

I think if you listen to Ronnie's slideguitar on "You got the silver"
on SAL, it will tell you a lot of Ronnie's quality nowadays.
It's awesome. He was even better in Gothenburg 2007 on that particular track.

Ronnie is a hero to me!

Been Stoned since 1964 and still am!

Posted by: little queenie ()
Date: October 14, 2008 05:24

T&A
little queenie

and mike campbell...though, as i recall, they weren't sitting together. stills, neil young....hmmmm...i'm forgetting...who else?

i saw more actors than recognizable musicians...eddie murphy, benecio del toro (also at the 2nd beacon)...plus sugar ray leonard.

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: October 14, 2008 05:36

Ronnie played on all of Rod Stewarts early solo stuff, with and without the Faces (as did Mac). He really shone back then too.

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: Jack Knife ()
Date: October 15, 2008 09:11

I love Ronnie. He is an integral part of the "Stones sound" that most people recognise today. Not Taylor, not Brian.

Posted by: yap is not dead ()
Date: October 16, 2008 10:37

Jack Knife
I love Ronnie. He is an integral part of the "Stones sound" that most people recognise today. Not Taylor, not Brian.

YEAH!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-10-16 10:39 by yap is not dead.

Date: October 16, 2008 10:53

Ronnie continued with the same Faces-sound in 75/76 imo. Maybe even better. After that, his playing became more lick-oriented, instead of the muddy riffs and the extended solos he did on his first tour with the stones.

When I listen to Hot Stuff, Hey Negrita and If You Can't Rock Me from 75/76, I hear an even better guitar player than he was in the faces.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-10-16 10:53 by DandelionPowderman.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1968
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home