Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Main Offender seeps in
Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: October 3, 2008 03:16

Been listening to this lately - like most Stones stuff, it slowly seeps in until you're addicted.

If ya ain't listened lately, check it out.

Re: Main Offender seeps in
Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: October 3, 2008 03:38

yes it does its simple but well layered especially the backing vocals;
it grooves in the 'Gimme Shelter' way, sinister-like.

999 is a favorite of mine..

where've them boys (and girl) been lately? I know Steve Jordan is a busy producer/drummer

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: October 3, 2008 03:46

It's one long groooooooooooooooooooooooove...Good for ya heart & soul

ROCKMAN

Posted by: silverstones69 ()
Date: October 3, 2008 04:50

Rockman
It's one long groooooooooooooooooooooooove...Good for ya heart & soul

How true Rockman.

I get the general impression that most prefer Talk Is Cheap but for me it's always been Main Offender.

Right from the get go - how's that for an opening riff to an album!

All the way thru to Demon - just superb.

999, Wicked , Eileen , Yap Yap , Hate It When You Leave , Runnin Too Deep , Demon - I can't split those, but still the other 3 are just as good, so to me this album is a 10 & always has been.

Note To Self - Go home, Open & Drink Cold Beer & Play Main Offender at Maximum Levels.

Great one Keith!

Posted by: oldkr ()
Date: October 3, 2008 06:26

if u wanna know keith- and where his contributions to VL came from give main offender a spin!

OLDKR

Posted by: TeaAtThree ()
Date: October 3, 2008 07:27

OK,
This is (except for Primitive Cool -- which is one of the worst albums ever, IMO) the only Stones related product I just haven't ever been able to get. I liked Talk is Cheap, but this one falls flat for me.

I have always felt like there aren't any SONGS on this record.

Please advise how to listen to Main Offender to appreciate it.

Date: October 3, 2008 07:43

Please advise how to listen to Main Offender to appreciate it....

It's one long guitar riff so just think of it as one hell of a 50minute groove...

Other than that play it LOUD...But if that don't work still leave it on
LOUD take ya clothes off and get ya best friend ta fire a 6-shooter at ya feet...That always loosens things...

ROCKMAN

Posted by: novica ()
Date: October 3, 2008 08:59

Rockman
It's one long guitar riff so just think of it as one hell of a 50minute groove...
... and it's Runnin' Too Deep !

cheers Rockman smileys with beer

Date: October 3, 2008 09:12

Cheeeeeeeeeeeeeeers...novico

ROCKMAN

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: October 3, 2008 09:15

Ive just been listening to this one too. It is like one long groove, aside from Hate It When You Leaevethere aren't any really true "Songs" that stick out, but its cool like that, its just enjoyalbe to listen to them jamming.

Date: October 3, 2008 12:56

Two of the songs even have the same guitar riff (Running Too Deep and Will, But You Won't smiling smiley

Not any songs on the album? What about Hate It When You Leave, Eileen and Words Of Wonder?

Still, Talk Is Cheap has more good songs IMO.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-10-03 12:57 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: shedooby ()
Date: October 3, 2008 14:18

One can't argue about taste of course but imo Talk = cheap
is by far the superior album..

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: October 3, 2008 15:19

Main Offender is an amazing album!! IMO by far the best solo album of all of them. And a fabulous precursor to the magnificent masterpiece to come!! Keef uses the same guitar sounds on both albums, and perhaps that's why I love Main Offender so much - because it sounds soooooooooooo similar to Voodoo Lounge!!

Posted by: Zagalo ()
Date: October 3, 2008 15:45

Eileen should have been saved for the 'Keef last song' on Voodoo Lounge...
...would have made a great album even better.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: October 3, 2008 16:18

VoodooLounge13
Main Offender is an amazing album!! IMO by far the best solo album of all of them. And a fabulous precursor to the magnificent masterpiece to come!! Keef uses the same guitar sounds on both albums, and perhaps that's why I love Main Offender so much - because it sounds soooooooooooo similar to Voodoo Lounge!!

Funny you say this, because one of the reasons why I don't like VL too much is its "plastic" sound, very distant from the amp-in-your-face sound of M0.

C

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: October 3, 2008 16:39

Plastic sound? I think VL is much more in your face than MO - from the very opening riff, to the pounding drums of YGMR, to the gut-wrenching Out of Tears, and final strains of Thru and Thru, which btw, is the best of all Keef's album closers IMO. Love that song, and I've been wanting to catch it live!! VL is a jampacked album start to finish - no fluff. A latter-day masterpiece that for me is the best damn thing this band has ever done!! Yes, I said ever.

I believe the band is currently in the midst of their second "Best" era: VL, Stripped, Some of Bridges (actually it has enough to warrant a good rating), and ABB......for me they are all on equal footing w/ BB, LIB, SF, and EOMS, and in fact, two of the latter day releases are my 1 & 2 favorites of all time: VL and ABB, which knocked EOMS to #3 after continued, nonstop listening for over 4 months while following the boys around. It's a great album, and sure I could do without Sweet Neocon, the album has a whole still holds up - I even like the often dissed SOL, as did most of the world outside the US, where it was a #1 in many countries.

While MO starts to get in your face, for me, it's Voodoo Lounge that delivers that final knock out punch that proves once and for all, that the Stones are still here and ready, willing, and able to ROCK!!!

Date: October 3, 2008 16:46

Mean Disposition was the album closer, wasn't it?

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: October 3, 2008 17:01

On cassette, T&T was the closer. On CD, MD.

VL13, I like VL very much, but hate to compare it to the Golden 4 (or 5 - Yayas) era.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: October 3, 2008 17:25

999 - A nice noisy collage of riffage with a slurry of drums. While not a fantastic track, it's got a great groove and is interesting - who would write about a emergency number? Pretty funny.

Wicked As It Seems - Great tune. The great grandfather of It Won't Take Long, the grandfather of Lowdown, the father of Love Is Strong.

Eileen - Beautiful song. Wonderful melody, one of Keith's better mid-tempo riff 'n' groove songs.

Words Of Wonder - Perhaps the biggest treat on the album, some deep reggae - and Keith even left in the bad bass note that he played! This was even better live.

Yap Yap - If you're playing the album and get kind of far away to where you're not really listening but can hear it, then this song makes sense on here. Otherwise it seems out of place.

Bodytalks - Never have liked this tune. Quite odd.

Hate It When You Leave - Excellent. To think Keith can toss these numbers around over the years to and of various degrees. Fantastic song.

Runnin’ Too Deep - Excellent tune and a wonderful play within the chords.

Will But You Won’t - Essentially the same as Runnin' Too Deep but slightly different - they are almost the same. I still love this tune anyway. A big more aggressive, this sounds like the follow up song to How I Wish in a strange way.

Demon - Possibly one of Keith's most beautiful songs musically - and nice lyrics as well.

I've always loved MO. I love TIC too. They are different albums. TIC might get the nod for being the better album but barely so. MO is just more groove oriented and it's obvious they were on the road - it's a bit looser than TIC.

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: October 3, 2008 17:34

I just love Main Offender. I play it a lot.

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: WeLoveYou ()
Date: October 3, 2008 17:39

skipstone
Bodytalks - Never have liked this tune. Quite odd.

Hate It When You Leave - Excellent. To think Keith can toss these numbers around over the years to and of various degrees. Fantastic song.
/quote]

I've always liked Bodytalks....what a groove. Love the guitar on the bridge..classic Keith riffs. But I agree about Hate It When You Leave...really good tune, with great Hammond organ.

I've never really liked the rest of the MO though..and I feel the same about TIC - only one I like on this one is Make No Mistake. Maybe I'll give these albums another go sometime...

However I much prefer Keith solo to the latest Stones efforts.

Date: October 3, 2008 17:49

Yes it is a great album. What makes it (slightly) less then perfect are Eileen (me don't like) and the idea of putting will after running - the tracks are too similar. But then againg, since I believe this was made on purpose, probably its me that I don't get the idea.

Hate when you leave is the best of the lot, and live it was even better.

Also, WHAT A BAND!

That Jordan / Drayton is one hell of a rhythm section.

Absolutely love Bernard Fowler's work on back up vocals.

C

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: October 3, 2008 18:07

there are a handful of good songs on MO - but the remainder are nothing more than half-formed ideas of songs....he should have spent more time trying to complete these ideas into actual songs....his debut demonstrates the follow-through that this one doesn't. no doubt it will be his swansong - he's not shown any ability to even come up with material as good as the stuff on this album in the past 10 years.

Re: Main Offender slinks in
Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: October 3, 2008 18:11

>> Bernard Fowler's work on back up vocals <<

and Mr Babi Floyd also ... not forgetting the brilliant Sarah Dash

the album's a muscular & wild & very warm-blooded animal on the prowl ... don't panic :E

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-10-03 18:17 by with sssoul.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: October 3, 2008 18:22

Keith - 2 fantastic studio LPs, 1 awesome live LP
Mick - 1 pretty damn good kickin' studio LP, 3 horrible terrible studio LPs

Keith is the better solo artist in my mind simply because he was being true to himself - just playing, playing good songs, playing rock'n'roll. Mick, on the other hand, was trying to be of the moment and with exception to Wandering Spirit, failed wonderfully in making good music. Of the three albums that stink there is the odd song that is decnet - Throwaway, Secrets, maybe Visions Of Paradise or Joy - Blue was good. Of course, Ruthless People was really cool as was that B-side - what was that called? I thought Catch As Catch Can was a great song. How come those didn't make his best of?

Date: October 3, 2008 18:23

T&A
there are a handful of good songs on MO - but the remainder are nothing more than half-formed ideas of songs....he should have spent more time trying to complete these ideas into actual songs....his debut demonstrates the follow-through that this one doesn't. no doubt it will be his swansong - he's not shown any ability to even come up with material as good as the stuff on this album in the past 10 years.

Well, to be honest, This Place is Empty would have been a highlight on both TIC and MO

C

Date: October 3, 2008 18:39

liddas
T&A

Well, to be honest, This Place is Empty would have been a highlight on both TIC and MO

C

to each his own....the song leave me empty...another half-formed idea of a song. and poor executed, at that....

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: October 3, 2008 18:43

If TIC is a 10, MO is a 5.

Date: October 3, 2008 18:53

TooTough
If TIC is a 10, MO is a 5.

MO is a 4.25, then....

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: October 3, 2008 19:01

How is it possible not to love this album? It's just pure Keith right till the end. Only song I could live without is Will But You Won't. The rest is awesome. I admit Talk Is Cheap was more for the "public" but tracks like 999, Wicked As It Seems, Words Of Wonder, Yap Yap, Demon and Runnin' Too Deep are truly great. Not to forget the beautiful Hate It When You Leave, where his voice suddenly sounds like Keith in the 70's!

My point is if you like Keith you gotta love this album.

Like Keith said himself back in 1992 "It sounds good to me (Main Offender). It sounds more like what we should have done the first time around (Talk Is Cheap) - it sounds raunchier"

[www.timeisonourside.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-10-03 19:06 by Guðni Gunnarsson.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1493
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home