Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4
Re: OT: Linda Ronstadt
Posted by: Fingers ()
Date: April 8, 2010 00:01

SwayStones
Fingers
How time marches on......it hasn't been kind.

Who's that ???
Any credits ?

It is Linda Ronstadt

Happy to be here....Happy to be anywhere.....

[www.myspace.com]

[www.facebook.com]

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: April 8, 2010 00:18

We all get older.We all change physically ,but it is the same person in that older body.I would love to look like I was 30-40 years ago but I and my friends and family can look back and see in old photos.It is what is in your body that counts ................not on the outside. smoking smiley

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: April 8, 2010 01:07

Lucky pigs, eh?

Anyway, it's the music that counts!

Posted by: TippyToe ()
Date: April 8, 2010 05:25

Big Al
Lucky pigs, eh?

Lucky?!? I think she ate them!

Posted by: Nina ()
Date: April 11, 2010 03:04

And.......

Of course the man who got both Ronstadt and Nicks ROCKIN' in the studio and on tour was the incredible Waddy Wachtel. Both Linda and Stevie give him credit for that.

Keith said:

"So I started to put a band together... Steve (Jordan) looks at me and says, Who do you want to play with? I said, Guitar? Waddy Wachtel. And he goes to me, My very words. I'd known Waddy since the middle 70s, and I've always liked his stuff. But I always recognized him as a man left alone out there running a chick's band. And I knew this man wants to rock more desperately than he's allowed to. (Laughs.) He's doing Linda Ronstadt, then he's doing Stevie Nicks, and I know my man wants to rock. Waddy and I have always had that empathy, and he understands my music. I don't have to explain anything to Waddy. I say, It goes like this, and everybody else would say, Well, that's weird. But Waddy goes, Oh, that's interesting." -Keith Richards, 1992

As for a suggestion for one of Linda's albums...... definitely get one with Waddy on it. He's fantastic on both electric and acoustic guitar.
Check out more info (with some audio and video) on the Ronstadt pages at Waddy's web site:
[waddywachtelinfo.com]

Posted by: boogie1969 ()
Date: April 11, 2010 06:06

Fingers
SwayStones
Fingers
How time marches on......it hasn't been kind.

Who's that ???
Any credits ?

It is Linda Ronstadt

I'm not trying to pile onto her, but it looks like maybe she hasn't been too kind to herself. Taking care of yourself goes a long way towards reducing the effects of aging. Look at the picture, she's not really ugly, her hair looks fine, her skin looks nice, I don't know if she has had any "work" done, but her face isn't overly wrinkled. She's just fat, and unless that is due to some health issue she can't control, she did that to herself, not the ravages of time.

Posted by: hbwriter ()
Date: April 11, 2010 06:55

all - she's also had serious thyroid issues - an undisclosed (major) surgery a few years ago that some think may have been cancer related - come on - show a little class

Date: April 11, 2010 14:20

OK, so Hasten Down The Wind, Prisoner In Disguise and Simple Dreams arrived from Amazon on Friday. The latter mentioned probably edges it as my favourite – though I’ll admit: none of them match Heart Like A Wheel.

This song and performance is scintillatingly beautiful.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: April 11, 2010 14:35

Big Al
OK, so Hasten Down The Wind, Prisoner In Disguise and Simple Dreams arrived from Amazon on Friday. The latter mentioned probably edges it as my favourite – though I’ll admit: none of them match Heart Like A Wheel.

This song and performance is scintillatingly beautiful.

Heart Like A Wheel has an edge to it that perhaps is down to its superb choice of material like You're No Good, Willin', When Will I Be Loved and the McGarrigles great title track . I only really know that, Simple Dreams and her greatest hits. Maybe the others are slow burners.

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: April 11, 2010 14:40

hbwriter
all - she's also had serious thyroid issues - an undisclosed (major) surgery a few years ago that some think may have been cancer related - come on - show a little class

Exactly - thyroid problems are hormon related and can completely ruin your metabolism and therefore also your weight control.
To the ones, that don't have the problem - be happy.

[www.ronstadt-linda.com]

Date: May 4, 2010 00:16

OK, so Don't Cry Now arrived yesterday from Amazon. I haven't given it a full listen as of yet, but it sounds like another fine LP, full of finely penned ballads and yearning, heartfelt vocalising from the goddess that was the 1970's Linda Ronstadt.

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: March 23, 2011 17:54

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: March 23, 2011 18:57

'Her album with Dolly and Emmy was very, very good'. gmanp

True that. It was called 'Trio'. Her forays into Big Band music wasn't all that great when you hear the real Big Band Singers like Anita O'Day. After you've absorbed her earlier, country-rock hits, you might try 'Canciones de mi Padre', a great Spanish language collection that I saw performed live in the early 90s.

Posted by: boston2006 ()
Date: March 23, 2011 19:40

BrianJones1969
Well, she did cover the Stones' "Tumbling Dice," available on her 1977 album, Simple Dreams. In a July 21, 1978 performance, Ronstadt actually joined the Stones onstage for this song.

Mick Jagger was actually quite enamored with Ronstadt's version of his band's tune, and even encouraged her to start singing more rock-oriented songs.

~Ben

Can't say that I blame him ...........

Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: March 23, 2011 22:12

Great find Title!
Love this woman. If it wasn't for Linda, I wouldn't be a Stones fan.

In the Warhol Diaries, he mentions that Bianca accused Mick of having an affair....but I doubt it, not because of Mick, but Linda.
I remember reading a People magazine article on Bianca from 77 and Linda and Bianca were actually friends. They lived next to each other in Malibu in the late 70s and Bianca expressed her fondness for Linda, the article says they were often seen walking on the beach together....I'm sure Mick tried his best, but I always suspected Linda was too intelligent, together and proper for Mick to have a fling with. SHe had morals and genuinely respected Mick as an artist....and Mick, I imagine, probably didn't know what to do with that because she was gorgeous.

My sister had all her records in the late 70s and Linda was hugely popular then. I became a fan and wanted to read all about her, loved the fact that seemed earthy. I read an article where she talked about how she was "most fond of Mick's ballad singing"...and that was the catalyst. I was curious because of Tumbling Dice and her association with the Stones....and Boom, the Stones came into my life.
But Linda led me there.
Her version of "I Will Never Marry" with Dolly on Simple Dreams is fantastic.
And for those who mentioning Celine Dion or Helen Reddy......
don't be stupid.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2011-03-23 22:19 by stupidguy2.

Posted by: peter ()
Date: March 24, 2011 09:23

I was at the Tucson show & took photos....you can see them on my site....showed Linda backstage here in California 15 years ago...she signed one for me....a real sweetheart... peterstupar.com

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: March 24, 2011 09:30

Seems almost as if the lovely Linda is more admired for being a woman than a musician at this point ... correct me if I'm wrong ...

2 1 2 0

Posted by: sonyzzz ()
Date: March 24, 2011 14:54

I don't think she ever made a real live album.
Why? What a set of pipes on her.

Date: March 24, 2011 23:19

Come On
Seems almost as if the lovely Linda is more admired for being a woman than a musician at this point ... correct me if I'm wrong ...

No, those of us who grew up with her simply have fond memories of her as a very earthy, sexy person as well. Her voice remains one of the greatest instruments in rock and roll. BTW, I didn't find out until years later that it was Linda backing up Neil Young on all those great early songs.

Date: March 24, 2011 23:25

This song, and Waddy's guitar, was my segue into Stonesyness.

Date: March 24, 2011 23:38

Posted by: Jah Paul ()
Date: March 25, 2011 01:25

sonyzzz
I don't think she ever made a real live album.
Why? What a set of pipes on her.

I don't think she ever did, either. However, there are several good soundboards out there on the download sites -- definitely some great stuff.

Really liked her back in the day. Here's my favorite...

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: March 25, 2011 01:48

Her "Western Wall - The Tucson Sessions" album with Emmylou is really good.

This is a cover of Springsteen's "Across The Border" - with Neil Young on harmonica and backing vocals.

Also features a fine version of Jackson Browne's "For A Dancer" (again with Neil Young)

Live version :

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-03-25 01:51 by Gazza.

Posted by: angee ()
Date: March 25, 2011 01:52

I like her version of "You're No Good", more in the rock/blues vein.

Posted by: ineedadrink ()
Date: March 25, 2011 02:32

Date: March 25, 2011 03:24

Jah Paul
Really liked her back in the day. Here's my favorite...

That's a great one! One of the best things she did was introduce and promote people like Lowell George, Warren Zevon and Emmylou to a more mainstraim audience. I first heard of Little Feat through her, and later found out the group was a favorite of Jagger's. I loved her version of Allison when Elvis Costello was just some nerdy-looking guy I saw in the Random Notes section in Rolling Stone magazing.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2011-03-25 03:28 by stupidguy2.

Posted by: drewmaster ()
Date: March 25, 2011 04:17

mickschix
She was quite the looker back then...even though she has gained a few pounds, she's still pretty.

I wholeheartedly agree with the first part of your statement. The second part, ummm, no. In fact, Linda is a perfect example of what happens to 90% of nice-looking American girls. (Glad I never married one!!)

Then..

Now...

Drew

Date: March 25, 2011 14:53

This song is superb, but was sadly left off the Capitol Years collection. Does anyone know where I can track down an MP3?

She's A Very Lovely Woman

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-03-25 14:54 by Big Al.

Posted by: angee ()
Date: March 25, 2011 15:10

ineedadrink

Nice, thank you! Great pipes.

Date: March 25, 2011 15:36

That's a wonderful rendition of Just One Look. Ronstadt is a one-off, IMO. Simply fantastic

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1991
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home