Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

When did Mick starting to act like Mick Jagger?
Posted by: keeffriffhard ()
Date: September 19, 2008 22:35

Mick is/was such a powerful guy, a great singer and dancer. But that seems a long time ago....

When I watch Mick in the SAL-movie, it's like he 'acts' that he's Mick...I think that did this start around 1989/1990 (steel wheels / urban jungle-tour).

It's like some parody....

What do you think

PS: the way he sings As Tears Go By (in the SAL-movie) is so 'over the top'...

Re: When did Mick starting to act like Mick Jagger?
Posted by: Justin ()
Date: September 19, 2008 22:38

I'd say mid through No Security it started...picked up a whole lot during Licks...and it's been the same ever since. Seems the older he gets---the more he plays it up...I wish he'd calm it down a little.

I never thought of Mick as "cool"--at least as in the same level as Keith. That guy drips cool. The last time Mick was cool was during the B2B tour and anything before then. Since then...wasn't the same.

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: September 19, 2008 22:43

In 1967 during Let's Spend Some Time Together on Ed Sullivan Show.

Posted by: texas fan ()
Date: September 20, 2008 00:16

I'd say as early as '75 Mick was consciously trying to give us the Mick he thought we wanted. I'm sure others would argue it happened even earlier..The thing is, in '75 he was right -- he was giving me the Mick I wanted.

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: September 20, 2008 02:48

After he saw Tina Turner.

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: September 20, 2008 03:14

I think all performers try to deliver the image they think we want, after all, they're called PERFORMERS for a reason. Why would we find them so fascinating if we thought they were as boring as we are?? If you buy into the fantasy, that's fine, that's the fun! Mick knows that we know he's putting on a bit so I don't see the problem . Charlie is the only one who is not being anything different on stage than off. That's why Mick tried to show us a few other sides of himself in " BEING MICK". You know, Mick at home, Mick in the studio, Mick with family and friends. Am I the only one who really loved that little film? You're probably going to say that was ALL an act too....well, ok, pick the Mick you want. Like Keith loves to say, " Mick is a lovely bunch of fellows!". I always thought that was nasty because Keith pretends to be this pirate when we all know that he puts that cloak on as well.

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: September 20, 2008 03:27

Mick rocks... he's the defining band member for me, not Keith.

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: stone-relics ()
Date: September 20, 2008 03:31

When he was born....duh...
JR

Posted by: Edward Twining ()
Date: September 20, 2008 09:37

The question is really though when did Mick first start becoming a parody of himself and i'd say possibly a little by the the mid seventies, but massively from 1981 onwards. Today, he's lost the essential balance between artistry and spectacle and he's become pretty much a circus clown.

Posted by: Sleepy City ()
Date: September 20, 2008 12:19

Before Phil May, David Johansen, Steve Tyler, Bob Geldof & dozens of others starting acting like Mick Jagger...

Posted by: Happy24 ()
Date: September 20, 2008 12:25

Mick is not parody of himself...

Posted by: marquess ()
Date: September 20, 2008 12:45

I like the Being Mick film as well!

Posted by: bumbum ()
Date: September 20, 2008 12:46

Who is Mick Jagger.
Like Keith said when he was asked about Mick - he answered: Which Mick Jagger?

There are several Mick J.

The one now is not acting Mick Jagger - he is MJ. The last 2 tours, he has put a lot of effort on singing. Before it was too much acting and less singing.

Date: September 20, 2008 17:16

I agree, Mick is NO PARODY! I don't really know why one would want to pick on the GLUE behind this band! NO MICK, NO STONES!

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: September 20, 2008 17:36

Well said, mickschix... I agree 100 percent.

[thepowergoats.com]

Date: September 20, 2008 17:47

If he came on stage wiggling his arse & shaking his maracas THEN he'd be a parody...

Posted by: oldkr ()
Date: September 20, 2008 18:55

he is more a jester than a clown - he has become the logical conclusion of his image/persona just as keith has. There has to be a slight element of - will he still be thin and run around like a mad man- or the casual fan wouldnt attend - i know fans who go to see if Mick can still do it , to catch a sight of the old magic before he fades. Its like going to see chuck berry now- even though he can only manage a duck walk 2 steps in length.

OLDKR

Date: September 20, 2008 19:02

Mick is far more vital and alive than Chuck Berry, that old, nasty fart! I don't think fans' expectations are that LOW and they shouldn't be because MICK STILL DELIVERS! "OLD MAGIC"? I go to see Mick in all of his glory, the old part doesn't factor in; it does with Keith, for sure, but Mick does not look like he's straining to be 25 again; I accept that he's 65, and I'm confident that his performance will transcend time and age. When Mick decides he is not up to delivering HIS performance, don't worry, he'll just stop. And that will be a very sad day, but he will not look foolish, not to worry.

Date: September 20, 2008 19:05

oldkr
he is more a jester than a clown - he has become the logical conclusion of his image/persona just as keith has. There has to be a slight element of - will he still be thin and run around like a mad man- or the casual fan wouldnt attend - i know fans who go to see if Mick can still do it , to catch a sight of the old magic before he fades. Its like going to see chuck berry now- even though he can only manage a duck walk 2 steps in length.

OLDKR

2 steps more than you're likely to do at 82...

Posted by: rooster ()
Date: September 20, 2008 19:08

Or when did he lost the power and anger in his voice

Posted by: FrankM ()
Date: September 20, 2008 22:01

Another ridiculous question imo. How can anyone "act like themselves"? They are themselves. A better question would be when did he start to 'ham it up" if you believe that is what he is doing. Maybe at times he can be the music equivalent of William Shatner when he goes over the top and becomes a ham but who really cares how he acts? As long as the music is good who gives a crap?

Circus clown Eddie? How many circus clowns have people spending hundreds of bucks to see them on a regular basis. The only circus clown is you my friend so get your circus peanuts and have a blast my friend.

Posted by: benon again ()
Date: September 20, 2008 22:09

Everybody has weak points....Mick is artificial sometimes but very strong and true in other moments (Midnight Rambler ).

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: September 20, 2008 23:15

rooster
Or when did he lost the power and anger in his voice

yes. Although he still has a great voice IMO, this is something that has happened over the years, there is less of an edge to it. Although during the licks tour on songs like "Stray Cat Blues" "Rock Me Baby" and "thats how stong my love is" there were some moments that I think re-captured the power he used to have.

I don't think its because He doesn't try hard any more or doesn't have the passion, its just that your voice changes over time.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2008-09-20 23:18 by ryanpow.

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: September 20, 2008 23:25

mick is a great bunch of guys, just ask keith

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: September 20, 2008 23:26

the parody probably began on the 89-90 tour

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2244
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home