Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
First Album / CD released after you became a fan
Posted by: tops06 ()
Date: March 27, 2010 03:26

After you became a fan of the Rolling Stones what was the first album they released? What were your recollections of that time?

In 1980, Emotional Rescue had already been released and it got some pretty heavy air play, during the summer, on Philadelphia radio stations. I bought the album and over the next year started to add to my collection (including my Dad's Hot Rocks and Sticky Fingers albums).

I remember one of the local radio stations, WMMR, would have a guy by the name of Kal Rudman on every week and he would basically go down a list of bands and what they were working on. By the Spring and early Summer of 1981, he always had a tidbit or two about the Stones, including possible Tour info, working titles of their new album and songs.

Anyway, I believe it was early August, and one of the stations was going to play the first single off the new album later that evening - Start Me up. After getting home from work I finally heard the song, just lying in bed with my transistor to my ear. Wow, what a great opening to a song!

I bought Tattoo You and loved it. Loved the rocking side one and fell asleep to side 2 on many nights.

Thanks for your replies.

Re: First Album / CD released after you became a fan
Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: March 27, 2010 04:34

Englands Newest Hitmakers.

Posted by: Marhsall ()
Date: March 27, 2010 04:43

Voodoo Lounge

"Well my heavy throbbers itchin' just to lay a solid rhythm down"

Posted by: colonial ()
Date: March 27, 2010 04:47

Emotional Rescue...brought it a few times on tape in the first 12 months after the release..was either worn out.. beer spill on it..stolen..lost ..stood on..left on car dashboard and melted..Different story now my Stones collection is very well looked after.

Posted by: lamemodem2 ()
Date: March 27, 2010 04:53

Steel Wheels. I had to leave work at lunch and go get it. I actually called the record store that morning and asked if they thought they'd still have any copies by the time I could get there.

Posted by: Neil F ()
Date: March 27, 2010 06:36

My brother got an 8-track for his car and we went to local music store and picked out tape that had most songs we recognized...Get Yer Ya'Ya's Out...my brother gave me IORR for Christmas (also an 8 track, pink!) and since then I have purchased every new studio album on the day of release. They all mark a different era for both me and the Stones. I can go back to any of them at any time to experience different sets of memories. Each one has its own story.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-03-27 06:49 by Neil F.

Posted by: guitarbastard ()
Date: March 27, 2010 06:40

undercover. when i was 10. loved the titel track and my best friend had the video and we thought we were the coolest guys to have an "index-clip"....

Posted by: klrkcr ()
Date: March 27, 2010 07:33

Dirty Work was my first, followed very closely by Rolled Gold,just to get their hits.First become aware of the stones around emotional rescue

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: March 27, 2010 09:26

Emotional Rescue...
Some Girls was my first that I got by the boys, and I was captivated. Then I saw Exile on Main Street and was intrigued that it was a double album, and that I had no idea about any of the songs on it! So I got it and was stunned!
I was waiting so frantically for their newest to come out. Listening to the radio every day hoping for news or a new single, and then the summer came and bam! They played Emotional Rescue and I was confused. What is this? This is really a weird song? Am I supposed to not like it? Then the album came out with that weird poster and the art work and no credits...and I loved it! A summer party album with still great memories.

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: March 27, 2010 10:19

Undercover
This album still means a lot to me.

In 1983 there was a TV show where they were supposed to show
the new clip. But it was delayed to the following show. Instead
they were showing Waiting On A Friend. My mother said: "It´s
a song without rhythm!"

I was so excited to SEE them that I said to Ma: "Shut up.
I wanna hear it!" Unbelievable, never said it before and after
again. Forgive me, Mum :-)

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: March 27, 2010 10:25

In 1990 I became a fan and attended a concert, Highwire was the first new Stones record I bought, then I bought the soloalbums that were released by all members, and after years of waiting Voodoo came out, I loved it in 1994, maybe I was too enthusiastic back then, but the album has some good songs.

Posted by: OneHit ()
Date: March 27, 2010 11:40

Shine A Light - LOL.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: March 27, 2010 11:59

Through The Past Darkly.......but the real thing was LIBleed

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: March 27, 2010 12:19

in strict chronological terms it was the debut UK album,
but the first one i had access to was England's Newest Hitmakers

Posted by: stoneswashed77 ()
Date: March 27, 2010 12:23

steel wheels first tour. then became a fan,

so i think that means the answer is voodoo lounge.

Posted by: wee bobby lennox ()
Date: March 27, 2010 17:44

was aware of the stones from the mid 80,s.

became a fan in 1987, thought they had chucked it in the late 70,s so was surprised to find albums like tattoo you, undercover and dirtywork existed.

started buying up a lot of albums in 1988 and in august bought dirtywork, was dissapointed with it and thought the stones couldnt recored good music anymore.

so was pleasantly surprised to hear they were recording a new album in 1989, thought steel wheels was so much better than dirtywork and it was great to get the chance to see them live at hampden glasgow in 1990.

was great to see them continue through the 90,s and right on till 2007.

hope they aint finished.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: March 27, 2010 17:47

Don't Stop - the single

Posted by: tomcat2006 ()
Date: March 27, 2010 18:04

Dirty Work, unfortunately.

But by then Undercover, Love You Live (side 3) and Still Life had got me hooked.

Date: March 27, 2010 18:24

Steel Wheels

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: March 27, 2010 19:02

lurv u live & then some goils

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: March 27, 2010 19:10

The first Stones album I bought was Tattoo You. That was the new album at the time - I had my dad's Let It Bleed, Get Yer Ya-Ya's Out!, Hot Rocks and More Hot Rocks that I had been listening to for ages, growing up wondering what it was like in that world of 2000 Light Years From Home because it sounded so cool on headphones.

I bought Undercover when it came out because at the time I thought maybe Doo Doo Doo Doo would be on it - I had no idea what the song was called at the time. I loved Undercover and still do - and after I figured out what album it was on, I got Goats Head Soup next.

I enjoyed that one for quite a while.

So I think that correct response to the subject is Undercover.

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: March 27, 2010 19:12

Get yer ya ya's out!!

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: March 27, 2010 19:18

skipstone
The first Stones album I bought was Tattoo You. That was the new album at the time - I had my dad's Let It Bleed, Get Yer Ya-Ya's Out!, Hot Rocks and More Hot Rocks that I had been listening to for ages, growing up wondering what it was like in that world of 2000 Light Years From Home because it sounded so cool on headphones.

I bought Undercover when it came out because at the time I thought maybe Doo Doo Doo Doo would be on it - I had no idea what the song was called at the time. I loved Undercover and still do - and after I figured out what album it was on, I got Goats Head Soup next.

I enjoyed that one for quite a while.

So I think that correct response to the subject is Undercover.

a very doxaian answer to a very simple question!

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: March 27, 2010 19:39

Was trying to answer it right! Because I was already a fan but had not bought an album on my own (back then as a 11 year old kid it was quite the experience). Tattoo You was the first one I bought (along with AC/DC's For Those About To Rock the same week or shortly after). Maybe that's why I love the album so much? Just an astounding album cover to me as well - it really stuck out. There's something about the cover that makes you want to get it. It's just beyond cool.

A Doxian answer - ha ha! That's good. I like that! smileys with beer

Posted by: pmk251 ()
Date: March 27, 2010 20:08

My first Stones album and one of the first albums I ever bought was NOW! (mono). It was an expensive purchase for me back then. I still have it and it sounds...very much listened to. Not sure I bothered with replacing phono needles in those days. A classic, almost greatest hits album. Strong songs top to bottom. Like A Hard Day's Night, I think it is the best of each band's early period.

Posted by: slew ()
Date: March 27, 2010 20:46

The first album the band released after I became a fan was Emotional Rescue. I had already taken my sister's Hot Rocks and More Hot Rocks. Before ER came out I had already bought 15 or so albums. First two I bought were Big Hits and Through the Past Darkly and I will always remember the next one I got was Let It Bleed in a collective sleeve with the poster for $5.99 at a used record shop in Needham MA and the kid working at the store was pissed because he was going to buy it when he got off work I still have that.

Posted by: Zack ()
Date: March 27, 2010 21:05

Became a fan at age 8 listening to my older sister's copy of Sticky Fingers. Not sure how many I had when ER came out when I was 16, but I remember checking the local music store every day and buying the cassette on the day they got it.

Was bitterly disappointed at the time. It's grown on me a lot, except Indian Girl of course.

Posted by: adotulipson ()
Date: March 27, 2010 21:15

I think my opinion is in an old post started by myself last year under a slightly different way of asking.
[www.iorr.org]

Posted by: billwebster ()
Date: March 27, 2010 22:39

I had gotten curious when I saw "Wandering Spirit" in a store at the time it was new. I knew my mother had loved the Stones back in the day, so I had a listen. It was great. Next to come out was "Voodoo Lounge". My mother knew I was going to get it but she gave it to me as a present.

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: March 27, 2010 22:46

I started listening to the Stones for real in -93, when I saw Stones at the Max, and bought Jump Back which got me sold on them.

So the first album when I was already a fan was Voodoo Lounge.
After that I dug into their back catalog for real and got Beggars Banquet. Still my favourite Stones album.

My dad had Exile, Hot Rocks and their debut all along.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1731
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home