Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Once all the Exile re-heat excitement dies down where next?
Date: March 27, 2010 20:33

The hype concerning Exile masks a paucity of ideas.

Re: Once all the Exile re-heat excitement dies down where next?
Posted by: slew ()
Date: March 27, 2010 20:36

I'd like to see them go back and take Beggar's Banquet and take all those cuts of SFTD and put it out and show how a song evolves in the studio. May not sell well but who cares. Also a 72-73 live release no overdubs and a complete show would be nice. There is a lot they can do with the back catalog.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: March 27, 2010 20:41

Whilst I'm thrilled that the boys are finally taking an interest in the archives, I do wonder how this bodes for their future as a current recording and touring act.

Posted by: slew ()
Date: March 27, 2010 20:48

Big Al - I hate to say it but I think those days may be over.

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: March 27, 2010 20:58

Keith himself mentioned / indicated it may or is over with big stadium tours.
It might continue with remaking of older songs / session leftovers, hardly a new CD, maybe some smaller arena tours.
Bigger Bang was 99% sure the last big stadium tour.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: March 27, 2010 20:59

I think we will see them play live again, but the way in which it happens might be different from the usual touring we've seen.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: March 27, 2010 21:01

His Majesty
I think we will see them play live again

what do you mean "we," kimosabe?

Posted by: The GR ()
Date: March 29, 2010 12:18

The most logical thing would be a 40th anniversary reissue of Sticky Fingers with extras but I guess it all hangs on how well the Exile box does.

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: March 29, 2010 12:44

As I just wrote in the "Exile ripoff" thread, I hope they will continue making vaults releases. But I'm very sceptic towards Tattoo You-like overdubs on Beggars Banquet outtakes. I think it would be better to make pure historical archive releases that will stand the test of time better than 2010 overdubs.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-03-29 13:13 by LieB.

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: March 29, 2010 12:45

His Majesty
I think we will see them play live again, but the way in which it happens might be different from the usual touring we've seen.

HOPEFULLY we'll see them play live somewhere or other again at some point in time, but whatever .... thank F**K the era of mega stadium tours might be over. Long overdue in my opinion. ABB was great, I personally had a blast, and I think they carried it off well, but they really ought to let it rest there as far as tours on that scale are concerned. And it seems as if they've finally recognised that themselves, at least you might conclude that from reading in between the lines of what KR has recently been saying.

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Posted by: rootsman ()
Date: March 29, 2010 13:06

A multi-CD box of unreleased studio recordings from the Brian years 1962 - 1969 would be my first priority!smiling bouncing smiley

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: March 29, 2010 14:11

LieB
As I just wrote in the "Exile ripoff" thread, I hope they will continue making vaults releases. But I'm very sceptic towards Tattoo You-like overdubs on Beggars Banquet outtakes. I think it would be better to make pure historical archive releases that will stand the test of time better than 2010 overdubs.

They wont need to. There simply arent a lot of leftover songs finished for Exile - it was a double album after all. There are several for Beggars Banquet.

Posted by: rootsman ()
Date: March 29, 2010 15:00

Of course the future archive releases should be without overdubs...

The second box would be the Mick Taylor era 1969 - 1974, including the un-overdubbed versions of the Exile bonus tracks!

After that, we´ll need another box for the Ron Wood years 1975 - 1983.

And, maybe, one from the last 25 years, as well...

smileys with beer

Posted by: billwebster ()
Date: March 29, 2010 17:47

I'm hoping for a new album. But there may come further reissues only.
Maybe there will be solo albums. Ronnie's reportedly got one ready for release already, but who will put it out given all of his recent bad press?

After Exile re-heat excitement dies down... what next?
Posted by: schillid ()
Date: March 29, 2010 17:53

Maybe excitement about re=heated Goats Head Soup

Posted by: soulsurvivor1 ()
Date: March 29, 2010 22:11

As long as ABKCO owns the rights to the 60s stuff you will never hear it except on boots. They can't even release all the True Stereo Versions of all the songs recorded in True Stereo. The only way these recordings will see the light of day is when they sell the collection to a big name company like Warner Brothers. Could you imagine if Warner owned the collection? They would have emptied the vaults. We would have everything...DVDs filled with live footage & TV show appearances. CDs with all the True Stereo Versions s well as outakes of all the 60s hits as well as unreleased songs. The bottom line is that ABKCO Stinks! ABKCO is the reason why we will never hear or seee anything different as long as ABKCO owns the rights.Think about it..ABKCO holds the key to unlock a treasure trove of material from one of the greatest rock n roll bands in the world..And they choose to do next to nothing!! Lets see, releasing outakes and rarities has been in fashion for over 25 years. In 25 years ABKCO has released six songs in True Stereo(there are about 25-30 still in the vaults) and five songs from MSG 1969. Eleven sonmgs in 25 years...GIVE ME A BREAK!!

I realize that they did release Rock N Roll Circus...But that was a slam dunk...First of all it was one of the most famous unreleased movies of all time...Second it had multiple artists on the bill so it was sure to be a decent seller....ABKCO gets no sympathy from me...As long as they continue to do stupid thing like release remixes of Sympathy For The Devil by The Neptunes and Fat Boy Slim instead of catering to their DVD, Record CD, Buying Fan Base by releasing 60s gems such as TV show appearances(Shindig,ED Sullivan,Hullaballoo,Hollywood A Go Go,Ready Steady Go and much more)...Would it kill them to release Charlie Is My Darling..Clean up the film and get bonus footage from Peter Whitehead...I'm sure Peter has tons of unused film including the entire 25 minute concert. Wouldn't you like to see a performance fromthe Stones in 1964? I know I and eveyone else here would..As well as anyone else I have asked over the last 25 years...They could bill it as.. UNRELEASED FILM FROM 1964 ...INCLUDES THE ROLLING STONES COMPLETE CONCERT LIVE! BUT THEY ARE UNIMAGINATIVE, PENNY WISE AND DOLLAR FOOLISH! AGAIN, THIS IS NOT BRAIN SURGERY JUST GIVE THE PEOPLE WHAT THEY HAVE BEEN REQUESTING FOR 25 YEARS!! WHAT A BUNCH OF CLOWNS...JUST SELL THE COLLECTION ALREADY...ITS OBVIOUS..YOU DON"T KNOW WHAT YOUR DOING!

AS THE SONG SAYS ABKCO ..WE ARE WAITING!

SOULSURVIVOR

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-03-29 22:25 by soulsurvivor1.

Posted by: barbabang ()
Date: March 29, 2010 22:58

I'm very happy with the ya ya box, but I have to agree with you soulsirvivort.
I'm slightly more optimistic regarding ABKCO in the future, now we have Jodi Klein at the helm. But yeah, the last 20 years have been a lot of wasted opportunities for ABCKO.

Re: After Exile re-heat excitement dies down... what next?
Date: March 29, 2010 23:08

schillid

Everyone knows that re-heating Goats Head Soup is not good for food hygene.

Posted by: alimente ()
Date: March 29, 2010 23:22

As much as I understand all this frustration with ABKCO here, it must be noted that ABKCO is way more restricted than you are possibly aware of. They are not allowed to plunder the vaults and release them as they want. It all comes down to the Stones agreement if it comes to previously unreleased material.

Metamorphosis was a different thing because this was part of a settlement between the Stones and ABKCO to end pending lawsuits. And this album clearly shows that ABKCO puts out stuff when they are allowed to. To accuse ABKCO of sitting on a goldmine and not doing anything with it just because being lazy or to piss off fans is an all too simple view.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-03-29 23:24 by alimente.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: March 29, 2010 23:44

I'll keep talking about how crapy the late 70's and 80's were.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: March 30, 2010 00:44

Doing something like the Exile deluxe edition means work for the band....especially Jagger, but also overdubs and such
It's a lot easier to release live DVDs or live CDs, for future years.....Brussels 73, Aux Abattoirs DVD, Leeds 71....etc...those things are ready to be pressed
So - in case Jagger doesn't bother to do any more 'vault & studio'-time for retrospective releases, I'd bet we would still get some live material coming out

Re: After Exile re-heat excitement dies down... what next?
Date: March 30, 2010 00:46

schillid

Thats certainly been a rumour.

Posted by: JuanTCB ()
Date: March 30, 2010 00:58

On the solo(ish) front, I've heard that Keith has a follow-up to Wingless Angels in the queue.

Posted by: Beelyboy ()
Date: March 30, 2010 01:06

Sir Craven of Cottage
The hype concerning Exile masks a paucity of ideas.

nope it don't. uh uh. this genuinely super important rock and roll event w release of vault stuff from this era and this cast...

if they have paucity of ideas (or just lack genuine concern...OR just waiting for suspense to build in market and do one more rob u blind tour when mick confident he can break records etc...

paucity, so to spea, about performing or recording as rolling stones in the twenty tens...well, mebbe probably.... but the re-heat itself, as far as re-mastering (NOT remixing as far as i know) not that exciting for me cause i have wonderful versions of eoms already..suspicious but hopeful about any re-mastering in these loudness wars days of technical blight.......

where next? u ask... hopefully ron and kat get back together for katz album!! whoa dat keep us bizzy for two weeks!!!! :-0

come on ronnie...do NOT stop drinking now...

but the outake frm vault thing? r u kidding? IMPOSSIabLE to hype it enuff. this is the best rock and roll band ever playing mostly live rhythm tracks together in a period where they were writing super duper even holy moly rock and roll for the ages.....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-03-30 01:20 by Beelyboy.

Date: March 30, 2010 02:36

JuanTCB
On the solo(ish) front, I've heard that Keith has a follow-up to Wingless Angels in the queue.

I'd love that, although I'd remain cautious in my excitment as there's an interview on the Old Grey Whistle Test from 1974 where he was talking about that project - and it finally came out in 1997.

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: March 30, 2010 02:52

Year after year we all hope and guess that "the next tour" will be something different from past tours i.e. no more stadiums, more arenas/theatres or different set lists etc etc. Not sure why at this stage of their career (and lives) why Mick or Keith would make big enough waves to change their routines.

If they do go on tour, it'll be the same game. I personally feel that Mick recognized Keith's problems at the tail end of the last tour and wonders if another go would be a bad move. To have to worry about a bandmate who struggles through certain parts of the show is not an easy thing to bear.

If Mick is confident that Keith can pull it off then my own predictions:

A new album sometime in the next year
A stadium tour (world wide) but with fewer dates
15-18 song sets (warhorse heavy)

Realistic? Maybe not. Pessimistic? Definitely.

Posted by: JuanTCB ()
Date: March 30, 2010 04:51

Gazza
JuanTCB

I'd love that, although I'd remain cautious in my excitment as there's an interview on the Old Grey Whistle Test from 1974 where he was talking about that project - and it finally came out in 1997.

It might not be 23 years this time around... a PR firm was just hired to work the project. Though given the current state of the music biz... who knows?

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: March 30, 2010 13:19

First they will see how Exile will be received by the public.

Will there be big sales, will there be lots of publicity?

If the sales and publicity will be poor or soso then that's it.

If the sales will be good and it will regain strenght among the Stones fans or stimulate more new fans to buy Stones music then there will be a follow up.

That we will know after summer.

Posted by: The GR ()
Date: March 30, 2010 13:48

Most of the Exile publicity was in last months music press so the timing is not great for a CD out in May.

ABKCO might own the rights but they give permission for the use of songs in Shindig etc. If, for example, they wanted to release Ready, Steady, Go they'd have to negotiate with Dave Clark who owns the rights.

Posted by: Hansel ()
Date: March 30, 2010 13:51

A new album and tour are on the cards.They have a new deal with Universal.They have one more big tour left in them,then a small scale tour(s) from there on.Remember London 2012 will be on the cards for them.There isn't much difference between them now and 2002.Charlie is still playing well.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1885
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home