Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12345Next
Current Page: 1 of 5
Before They Make Me Run- The Stones Worst Vocal Ever?
Posted by: mitchflorida ()
Date: March 25, 2010 04:35

I would nominate Before They Make Me Run as the Rolling Stones most unlistenable vocal. Are there any worse than this that I haven't heard before? This really HURTS my ears. Yuk. As Randy Jackson would say, "Yo Dawg, that was kind of pitchy." I think he is way flat, out of tune. No?

Re: Before They Make Me Run- The Stones Worst Vocal Ever?
Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: March 25, 2010 04:49

I think what gets it so funny is that Keith sings it almost as a country song, at least to my ears. Country punk, if that works.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: March 25, 2010 04:51

You're certifiably nuts, Mitch...

Posted by: slew ()
Date: March 25, 2010 04:57

One of Keef's finest moments!

Posted by: Turd On The Run ()
Date: March 25, 2010 05:02

mitchflorida
I would nominate Before They Make Me Run as the Rolling Stones most unlistenable vocal. Are there any worse than this that I haven't heard before? This really HURTS my ears. Yuk. As Randy Jackson would say, "Yo Dawg, that was kind of pitchy." I think he is way flat, out of tune. No?

No.

Date: March 25, 2010 05:07

71Tele
You're certifiably nuts, Mitch...

I knew it would happen at some point, someone pointing it out!

Date: March 25, 2010 05:08

Do you think he sounds good? If he were on American Idol, he wouldn't get into the Top 12. Maybe he had a cold that day.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2010-03-25 05:10 by mitchflorida.

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: March 25, 2010 05:11

It's a great rockin' song,sung by a great rocker with rockin' vocals.

Date: March 25, 2010 05:12

mitchflorida
If he were on American Idol

Oh come on. How old are you? What a stoopid point. That is just total bullshit. What are you, worried about the Stones? It's just bad TV. What about all the other acts that have been covered? You think they worry? Go listen to The Beatles or The Beach Boys or someone perfect then.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-03-25 05:29 by skipstone.

Date: March 25, 2010 05:25

mitchflorida
Do you think he sounds good? If he were on American Idol, he wouldn't get into the Top 12. Maybe he had a cold that day.

Is this your standard for judging good singing? American Idol? Are you freaking kidding me? Would Bob Dylan singing "Idiot Wind" or Neil Young singing 'Cortez The Killer' finish "into the Top 12" of this televised excretion? What the fukc are you thinking, man?

I think Keef sounds PHENOMENAL on this track...pure, distilled rock and roll.

Mentioning Keith Richards and American Idol in the same sentence is like lumping Toscana truffles and Styrofoam marshmallows together on a plate...Jesus Christ.

Date: March 25, 2010 05:32

Would love to hear Mick sing that song, same arrangement. That would be a great idea for his new Exile albume

Date: March 25, 2010 05:32

Mitchflorida has jumped the shark.

Date: March 25, 2010 05:41

mitchflorida
Would love to hear Mick sing that song, same arrangement. That would be a great idea for his new Exile albume

I'm absolutely sure that Celine Dion would do a lovely, perfect-pitch version for her new War Pigs album.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: March 25, 2010 05:41

For the most part, I love Keith's voice, especially Before The Make Me Run.

But this one admittedly is atrocious and horrifying.

Posted by: filstan ()
Date: March 25, 2010 06:04

This thread is just pulling our chain, if it refers to the released studio version. WTF?

Posted by: CindyC ()
Date: March 25, 2010 06:12

I insist this thread be deleted!!!! Worst vocals???! - This guy is out of his mind!

and with that, I PROUDLY add my signature

Wasn't looking too good, but I was feeling real well.

Date: March 25, 2010 06:13

Date: March 25, 2010 06:16

I think Keith sounds okay on Little T&A . At least he is trying his best there and doing it with a good attitude.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2010-03-25 06:28 by mitchflorida.

Date: March 25, 2010 07:04

mitchflorida
I think Keith sounds okay on Little T&A . At least he is trying his best there and doing it with a good attitude.

Is he really "trying his best"? For someone that can hardly read a teleprompter yet alone sing the words he's actually reading on top of not playing the guitar yet alone no real motivation to even "try" yet alone "try" "his best"...

The bar has been set - very low. Hilarious!

Posted by: saltoftheearth ()
Date: March 25, 2010 09:36

I find Jagger's vocals on Prodigal son from the 1979 CNIB benefit horrendous. Most probably he ha a cold, and eprhaps it was not that bad live but you can hardly listen to the recording.

Posted by: swiss ()
Date: March 25, 2010 09:39

mitchflorida
I think he is way flat, out of tune. No?

No. Keith is not "way flat" or "out of tune."

You might not like his tone or timbre, but that's a subjective preference, not an objective statement about his pitch.

Are people writing this drivel because they're bored? antsy about exile coming out?

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: March 25, 2010 09:44

It's never bothered me and I've never really thought it's a bad vocal. If you want perfection go listen to opera. This is rock'n'roll for gawdsake.

Posted by: studiorambo ()
Date: March 25, 2010 10:16

The only way any of the American Idol judges get to sit in front of The Rolling Stones is in the crowd in the next tour. BTMMR is one of the best. The vocals fit the story of the song.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: March 25, 2010 10:17

I kind of like Keith's vocal delivery in that BIGGER BANG "Little T&A". He puts some real interpretation and passion into it. Instaed back in 1981/82 he just delivered it with the the attitude of "let get this done as quick as we can" and his vocals turned to be quite nervous - for some reason he couldn't really handle the spot of attention for his singing by then yet.

As far "Before They Make me run" goes: I love his vocals there but I agree with the observation that there is something shakey and "out of tunity" in its whole setting there - but that is quite usual for the Stones in their chaotic, messy brilliance. I have some friends who have so pure, trained ears that they honestly cannot listen the Stones due their sloppiness in being in tune (it is not the vocals but the whole orchestration - it usual that at least soemone screws up in tuning.) Fvck 'em (and let them listen to The Beatles) but it is true that especially Mick and Keith always struggle for being in tune - it doesn't seem to deliver from them naturally. But like said that is part of their charm. They make great noise... Some of it is probably done with purpose; the effect of American black music and its tendency to break up teh harmonical puriness of European classical music tradition rules. To get the right "feeling" will look bad if accurately written down.

- Doxa

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: March 25, 2010 10:28

Silver Dagger
It's never bothered me and I've never really thought it's a bad vocal. If you want perfection go listen to opera. This is rock'n'roll for gawdsake.

It being rock n' roll doesn't excuse atrocious vocals, and KR offers up no shortage of atrocious vocals. Sorry to add fuel to the fire, but to not acknowledge that Keith's vocal ability is poor in general, and on occasions downright awful, is completely absurd. Whether it bothers you or not is a different issue, but you'd have to be completely tone deaf and belligerent into the bargain not to at the least acknowledge that vocals ain't our heros's strongest point. How many threads on IORR do you think there are on the subject ? Dozens, hundreds I shouldn't be surprised. A minority view therefore ? I don't think so !

The studio version of BTMMR works, but with all due respect, I don't think he's been able to pull it off live for a long time now. Not credibly anyway.

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Posted by: ghostryder13 ()
Date: March 25, 2010 11:39

before they make me run is one of my favorite vocal performances by keith. the heck with american idol it's all synthetic crap with no heart or soul in it.

Posted by: Father Ted ()
Date: March 25, 2010 11:51

I'm a huge KR fan but when I first heard BTMMR, I thought the whole song sounded odd. The intro guitar sequence seemed a bit awkward and the vocal was, shall we say, an acquired taste! It's grown on me since then.

I did love KR's Learning The Game on The Biggest Bang. Awesomeness!

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: March 25, 2010 11:56

Fantastic song, great performance by the band, superb singing and stunning guitarwork by Keith. If you suspect that I like Run a lot, you are right!

C

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: March 25, 2010 12:47

Keith on (the studio version) of Before They Make Me Run is a little weak and shaky, but not out of pitch (at least not my, and most people's, ears). First time I heard it I kinda cracked up. But before they song was over I just loved it, for all the reasons you all pointed out.

Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: March 25, 2010 12:57

Doxa
back in 1981/82 he just delivered it with the the attitude of "let get this done as quick as we can" and his vocals turned to be quite nervous - for some reason he couldn't really handle the spot of attention for his singing by then yet

Not from what I've seen here (Seattle):

or here (East Rutherford):

nor here (Hampton):

Goto Page: 12345Next
Current Page: 1 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1434
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home