Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Philosophical question on Exile re-release
Posted by: hbwriter ()
Date: March 21, 2010 16:51

This may have been covered recently but if it was, I missed it.

Exile is my favorite record of all time, so of course it's exciting to have the upcoming package release. But, given how the many charms of Exile lie in the recording environment, sloppiness, mystery of the basement, mistakes, mis-credits, offhanded warts-and-all open-mic magic and spontaneity, is it weird to have it get such a high-gloss treatment with re-polished, re-finished versions? Does that strip away what made it so good in the first place? For instance, if they reverse-engineered say, GYYYO to include the untreated versions (Baltimore, Boston, etc) as opposed to adding gloss, would that not be more interesting? Or Sticky Fingers, Goats Head, whatever - those records it might be fun to hear "enhanced." But Exile? It just seems like too much info on Exile, too many overdubs and recuts might surgically remove all that gives it the voodoo mystery so many of us spark to.

Again--apologies if this was covered before. If so - just ignore me.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-03-21 16:52 by hbwriter.

Re: Philosophical question on Exile re-release
Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: March 21, 2010 17:07

What ever they release .......we still got our Original LP...and they can't change that one

Posted by: stoneswashed77 ()
Date: March 21, 2010 17:12

you will not get a glossy exile.
this is just a way to sell a record again because the new record company needs to make some money. if they want that they have to bring it out, don´t they??
it´s not out right now from their point of view.

it will not sound or be glossy for sure.

and the outtakes are outtakes, different story.

Date: March 21, 2010 17:21

well, when you start remixing and recutting and adding new parts and vocals - i dunno that sounds like a certain amount of clarity and content is being added - i guess i just feel that Exile is perfect as it - I admit I'm not totally rational about it - I think it's a masterpiece that is its own category of record - for me it almost should just be left alone because it is such a rarity - a genuine, spontaneous, near-perfect work of art - how often do we get one of those?

Posted by: bernardanderson ()
Date: March 21, 2010 17:30

from what i understand, the only songs that have added new parts are on the second disc of outtakes and unreleased tunes, not the original LP.

Date: March 21, 2010 17:31

Bernard--I didn't know that - okay, that's good - so the original LP remains intact? No cleanups?

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: March 21, 2010 17:43

hbwriter
Bernard--I didn't know that - okay, that's good - so the original LP remains intact? No cleanups?

Original LP is only being remastered, mixes not tampered with at all...

Date: March 21, 2010 17:46

Thanks - 71
and for the record--this is what i would like from my family on father's day - smiling smiley

I *need* to have it - I just don't want the original formula messed with smiling smiley

Posted by: cc ()
Date: March 21, 2010 18:01

I suspect, as some others do, that the newly discovered tracks are actually entirely new Jagger solo tracks that they figure they can't sell as a new Stones album.

Posted by: stoneswashed77 ()
Date: March 21, 2010 18:05

cc
I suspect, as some others do, that the newly discovered tracks are actually entirely new Jagger solo tracks that they figure they can't sell as a new Stones album.

what?? i hear that for the first time and don´t believe it.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: March 21, 2010 20:02

71Tele
hbwriter

Original LP is only being remastered, mixes not tampered with at all...

You need to hear the remastering before you decide whether anything's been tampered with or not. If it's anything like the Sticky Fingers remastering, the brickwalled compression could render it almost unlistenable.

Date: March 21, 2010 20:41

hopefully EOMS hasn't entered the so-called "loudness war".

Date: March 21, 2010 20:42

stoneswashed77
cc

what?? i hear that for the first time and don´t believe it.
I think you're right in not believing it.

Posted by: swiss ()
Date: March 21, 2010 20:49

hbwriter

I posted the following twice but there's so much swirl it's easy to miss posts.

Mick in Rolling Stone
Question: What sort of bits and pieces did you add?
I added some percussion. I added some vocals. Keith put guitar on one or two. I added some acoustic
guitar and some other things. Charlie [Watts] didn't need to come in. The drums were all perfect.
"Pass the Wine," for example, was very, very long, so I edited it down. In the spirit of Exile we added
some girl background vocals on "Tumbling Dice" and "Shine a Light."
We had some nice background
vocals on the originals. But I think in the end it's very much sounding like it was in those days, so to speak.
[my emphasis]

Keith in same article in Rolling Stone
Question: And you and Mick added new parts to some of them?
There wasn't much to be done and I really didn't want to get in the way of what was there. It was missing a bit of body
here and there, and I stroked something on acoustic here and there. But otherwise, I really wanted to leave them
pretty much as they were. Mick wanted to sort of fix some vocal things, but otherwise, basically they are as
we left them 39 years ago.

We don't know it's going to sound slick --- hope not!!!

Just fyi, this thread touches on your question: [www.iorr.org]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2010-03-21 21:02 by swiss.

Posted by: slew ()
Date: March 21, 2010 21:01

I for one can not wait to hear what they have done.

Posted by: ajc68 ()
Date: March 21, 2010 21:22

They are only talking about touching up the outtakes since they are unfinished tracks. Mick has already stated the original album was only remastered (not remixed or overdubbed) in one of the many Exile interviews.

Date: March 22, 2010 02:21

then what does he mean by

In the spirit of Exile we added

---

(the kind of crap i worry about)

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: March 22, 2010 02:34

hbwriter
then what does he mean by

In the spirit of Exile we added

---

(the kind of crap i worry about)

he means that on some Exile songs there were 'soulful' girl backing vocals so they did the same thing on a couple of the outtakes

He means the 'Good time women' version of Tumbling Dice and (probably) the alternate 'Loving cup'. I think he made a mistake when he said 'shine a light' and got them mixed up, and it wasnt corrected.

the original album hasnt been retouched at all. Its been remastered, the same as all the other post-1970 albums have been - its part of the same series.

(You wouldnt add backing vocals to the 2 songs he mentioned as they're already on them)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-03-22 02:35 by Gazza.

Posted by: flilflam ()
Date: March 22, 2010 02:39

I have said this before, and I say it again. EOMS was a great album but it is severely overrated. To call it a masterpiece is being too generous. I will buy the new cuts, as I am sure there are a few gems on it, but EOMS is in fact sloppy and undisciplined.

Sticky Fingers, now, is a masterpiece.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: March 22, 2010 03:22

flilflam
I have said this before, and I say it again. EOMS was a great album but it is severely overrated. To call it a masterpiece is being too generous. I will buy the new cuts, as I am sure there are a few gems on it, but EOMS is in fact sloppy and undisciplined.

Sticky Fingers, now, is a masterpiece.

You can say it as many times as you want, but repetition doesn't make it true. There is nothing "sloppy" about EOMS. And what kind of "discipline" do you think it lacks? And it has been duly recognized as a masterpiece (to the extent that term can be used for a mere rock & roll record). This judgment has congealed over time, which is the best way to make these kinds of assessments. You are free to disagree, but history has already rendered its verdict.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-03-22 03:22 by 71Tele.

Date: March 22, 2010 05:40

fliflam - why not just add the words "in my opinion" - that's all it is - no facts at all, just opinion

Posted by: Beelyboy ()
Date: March 22, 2010 06:09

hmmm, what would Socrates have to say i wonder...
i think it's gonna be a pure gift however the 'new' stuff comes to play...and glad they listened to all that stuff!!! thought it out, WANTED to work on it etc... man that's great.

they will probably boost the volume wars up to today's radio standards with the remastering...hopefully tastefully carefully, and keith seems to be be very aware of this...unless he's just talkin' shit to press...i take him at his quoted word here...

"Philosophy will clip an angels wings"
John Keats

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: March 22, 2010 12:30

bernardanderson
hopefully EOMS hasn't entered the so-called "loudness war".

I'm much less optimistic than you are...

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: March 22, 2010 16:31

cc

Obvious sarcasm. And funny.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: March 22, 2010 16:37

Sloppy and undisciplined? It may sound dingy but it's certainly not sloppy. Sloppy is better used for the 1975-76 and 1981-82 tours. Undisciplined? There is some incredible arranging on the album. You don't achieve that without discipline. There's incredible discipline on the album. If you actually listen, as in single out, certain things in some songs you can hear the dedication and discipline involved. Rocks Off is a good example. There's A LOT going on in that song.

Posted by: bigtyke66 ()
Date: March 22, 2010 16:47

Its anything but undisciplined. I think that as an album, EOMS flows better than almost any other I know. The whole thing has a rhythm of its own. The juxtaposition of tracks, the sequence of the 4 different sides is masterful. I recently digitized my vinyl and left a 7 second gap between each side to help keep that rhythm and flow. Somehow the whole thing just works.

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: March 22, 2010 21:53

bigtyke66
Its anything but undisciplined. I think that as an album, EOMS flows better than almost any other I know. The whole thing has a rhythm of its own. The juxtaposition of tracks, the sequence of the 4 different sides is masterful. I recently digitized my vinyl and left a 7 second gap between each side to help keep that rhythm and flow. Somehow the whole thing just works.

it typically takes me 9 seconds to flip my vinyl records; 11-13 seconds on weekends....

Posted by: bigtyke66 ()
Date: March 23, 2010 05:02

... 9 secs! Wow! You should practice more often. My "record" time is 4.5secs. smileys with beer

Date: March 23, 2010 05:09

anyone can flip a record and put the needle at the beginning. but the beginning of a song on the middle of the record? that takes talent.

Posted by: FreeBird ()
Date: March 23, 2010 13:26

Am I ever glad I have CDs...

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1797
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home