Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

0t:peter gabriel-scratch my back
Date: March 19, 2010 23:21

anyone heard this? i am a huge fan but the 2 songs i've heard sounded like funeral music

Re: 0t:peter gabriel-scratch my back
Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: March 19, 2010 23:43

I'll bet she never saw you scratch my back.....

Posted by: bassplayer617 ()
Date: March 19, 2010 23:56

You're not referring to this song, are you, or is there newer material available?

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: March 20, 2010 00:00

.....the cover of Heroes was awful...

Posted by: leteyer ()
Date: March 20, 2010 00:14

Some mixed reviews, but I did like it.

Going to his concert next Monday. No guitar no drums just a big symphony orchestra.

Date: March 20, 2010 00:24

Hmm--interesting that Peter is accenting the lyrics with very sparse arrangements. No beat-heavy noise that hides the words sung or spoken. I understand what he's doing, but many will not...

Date: March 20, 2010 00:25

bassplayer617
You're not referring to this song, are you, or is there newer material available?

yes thats on the album

Date: March 20, 2010 00:29

Ok, keefriffhard, do you understand what he's saying? Peter is simply accenting the lyrics and the singing of them. I understand what he is doing. As for "Book of Love", I enjoy this arrangement of it.

Date: March 20, 2010 00:49

bassplayer617
Ok, keefriffhard, do you understand what he's saying? Peter is simply accenting the lyrics and the singing of them. I understand what he is doing. As for "Book of Love", I enjoy this arrangement of it.

but every song is arranged just like that and thats the problem. it all sounds the same

Posted by: baxlap ()
Date: March 20, 2010 15:20

Scratch My Back is not for everyone. It's relentlessly slow and somber. While I enjoy it in LP side-sized listening units, I can't get through the entire thing in a sitting. I can't imagine sitting through an entire evening of these arrangements.

Posted by: KeefintheNight82 ()
Date: March 20, 2010 18:45

I'm the biggest Peter Gabriel fan there is but this new album is a real dissapointment to me.

I know I'm accused of not understanding it and not getting it. I hear that same thing whenever someone tries to defend something they like that is rubbish. So fine, it's over my head. I don't want to hear an album that sounds like it was recorded on Xanax.

Anyway, I love PG but Scratch my Back is pretenious, self-indulgant, boring, and as said above all songs sound alike. 'Flume' is the only song on it that sounds like he could be bothered actually singing it. Most of the songs he actually ruined.

Date: March 20, 2010 21:35

at this point in his career a covers album was a bad move anyways

Posted by: leteyer ()
Date: March 23, 2010 09:31

Just arrived from Bercy where he played one of the best concerts I've ever attended. He played with the Radio France Philarmonic Orchestra and it was really GREAT. he palyed "Scratch my back" in its entirety and then after a short break he played an incredible setlist.

Heroes
The Boy in the Bubble
Mirrorball
Flume
Listening Wind
The Power of the Heart
My Body Is a Cage
The Book of Love
I think it's going to...
Après moi
Philadelphia
Street Spirit

Intermission

San Jacinto
Downside up
Digging in the dirt
Wallflower
Signal to noise
Washing of the water (Melanie Gabriel)
Blood of Eden
Rhythm of the heat
Darkness
Salisbury Hill

Encore

In your eyes (with Youssou N'dour)
Don't give up
The nest that sailed the Sky

Date: March 23, 2010 12:36

ok i bought the album. its better than i thought it would be. when gabriel is wailing and the orchestra has a lot to do its a great album. when gabriel is whispering/talking and the orchestration is minimal its boring. i could see this making the bottom of my list for top 10 albums of 2010

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: March 23, 2010 17:18

Loved the man when he was in Genesis and also his first 5 solo albums but doing an album of covers - especially mournful ones - is always the nadir in an artists' career. Creative bankruptcy, I think it's called.

Date: March 23, 2010 18:20

Silver Dagger
Loved the man when he was in Genesis and also his first 5 solo albums but doing an album of covers - especially mournful ones - is always the nadir in an artists' career. Creative bankruptcy, I think it's called.

he stated in an interview this project was done to pass the time while he narrowed down the 30+ tunes he has for his next solo album. if you listen to the album you can hear he isn't out of creativity. hell the stones released at least 2 albums in the 60's with only a few originals and the rest covers. were they out of creativity in 1965?

Posted by: KeefintheNight82 ()
Date: March 23, 2010 19:10

leteyer
Just arrived from Bercy where he played one of the best concerts I've ever attended. He played with the Radio France Philarmonic Orchestra and it was really GREAT. he palyed "Scratch my back" in its entirety and then after a short break he played an incredible setlist.

Heroes
The Boy in the Bubble
Mirrorball
Flume
Listening Wind
The Power of the Heart
My Body Is a Cage
The Book of Love
I think it's going to...
Après moi
Philadelphia
Street Spirit

Intermission

San Jacinto
Downside up
Digging in the dirt
Wallflower
Signal to noise
Blood of Eden
Rhythm of the heat
Darkness
Salisbury Hill

Encore

Don't give up

Was the entire show with orchastra only, even the songs after the intermission?

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: March 23, 2010 19:20

keefriffhard4life
Silver Dagger

hell the stones released at least 2 albums in the 60's with only a few originals and the rest covers. were they out of creativity in 1965?

Those were different times then and outside of The Beatles - from 64 - and Dylan not that many people were writing original album filling pop songs.

Date: March 23, 2010 20:20

KeefintheNight82
leteyer

Heroes
The Boy in the Bubble
Mirrorball
Flume
Listening Wind
The Power of the Heart
My Body Is a Cage
The Book of Love
I think it's going to...
Après moi
Philadelphia
Street Spirit

Intermission

San Jacinto
Downside up
Digging in the dirt
Wallflower
Signal to noise
Blood of Eden
Rhythm of the heat
Darkness
Salisbury Hill

Encore

Don't give up

Was the entire show with orchastra only, even the songs after the intermission?

yes his entire show is with the orchestra right now

Date: March 26, 2010 12:42

can anyone explain why most of peter's catalog is out of print in the united states? only scratch my back, up and hits seem to be available

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: March 26, 2010 15:11

I missed the RnR HOF induction ceremony, did the other members of Genesis have anything interesting to say about him not being there?

Posted by: Massimo68 ()
Date: March 26, 2010 16:36

IMHO, this CD is the first big mistake of Peter's brilliant story.
Unlistenable after 2 or 3 tracks.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1591
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home