Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

The Rolling Stones Clothes Designers
Posted by: colonial ()
Date: March 19, 2010 09:47

Do the Stones have their own designers and makers of their clothes because they look to be especially made for them.They seem to change their clothes quite a bit which is good while on stage more often than any other band.

Re: The Rolling Stones clothes designers
Posted by: KeithNacho ()
Date: March 19, 2010 10:14

They sweat a lot

Posted by: nkt44 ()
Date: March 19, 2010 14:06

Is it my impression, or there seems to be more men on IORR than women? Posts about clothes don't seem to take off... grinning smiley

I read somewhere that Mick's girlfriend did his wardrobe.

Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: March 19, 2010 14:19

nkt44
Is it my impression, or there seems to be more men on IORR than women?

90% of men I guess.

I can't remember on which DVD Jagger shows his wardrobe to the journalist ,trousers,shirts and coats he weras on stage.

Posted by: Marhsall ()
Date: March 19, 2010 16:57

L'Wren Scott Mick's girl designed his A.B.B. outfit

"Well my heavy throbbers itchin' just to lay a solid rhythm down"

Posted by: Beelyboy ()
Date: March 19, 2010 22:50

elvis jump suit in 1792 certainly dynamic on mick. like ballet dancer and little hawd rock poof but also masculine somehow as he worked it out out out. kinda like when they get ONE outfit, no diva stuff...come out sweat like hell for seventy minutes...throw rose petals and get outta there....
:-)
tho mick likes to promote the tees on stage and does his peacock thang stripping jacket then shirt then change shirt etc...to keep things visually moving...me not much care about that one wahy or the other i guess...LOVED the superbowl outfits...yeah. black leather boys...haww they pulled it off beautifully....

mick goes on and on about fabrrics and such...how nice. yawwwnnnn...spinal tap probably got the cuke down the pants look from mick during this era...codpiece rock??? dohhhh

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: March 20, 2010 00:15

......the majority of his recent looks from the ABB tour were from Hedi Slimane who was the head designer at Dior men's at the time...

Posted by: swiss ()
Date: March 20, 2010 02:32

There's a lot scattered around about the Stones and fashion, including who "dresses" them, favorite designers, etc. Here are a couple of little items:

1. Charlie has always been know for his Saville Row suits, and for being a very natty dresser. Someone recently posted an interview here of Charlie, where he expressedly discusses his 2 tailors in London, how he can look at and talk about fabrics for hours --- as well as his long-time love of clothes. In the case of Charlie, it is clearly he who "dresses" himself, with the advice of tailors.

2. I recall seeing on "Ask Keith" on keithrichards.com a question about who dresses him, shops for him, picks out his clothes. Sorry not to be more helpful, but it's still on the site. I remember Keith saying basically "WHO?? I do - no one else!" and a bunch of other stuff.

3. An anecdote you might enjoy....

I met Charlie Watts when I was 15 and the Stones were on tour in 1965. I was working as a stockboy at Curlee Clothing company in St. Louis when Brian Jones and Charlie Watts came to the company's "Sample Room" to buy suits, sports coats, and slacks. Brian Jones got bored quickly and went back to the limo (and girls), but Watts spent over an hour with us buying several thousand dollars worth of Trad style, very ivy league looking clothes. I still have his autograph: to Greg love Charlie and the stones. Has a little bird at the bottom of his signature. I think I was called in to help by the Sample Room staff as they knew I was going to the concert and they hoped I could help clarilfy what he was mumbling about in the cockney accent he has! Still has great style some 42 years later... source

4. Keith Richards: my life in fashion

At 64, Keith Richards hasn't mellowed. With Shine A Light, Martin Scorsese's documentary on the Rolling Stones, recently released, he could focus on the autobiography he is co-writing with James Fox, the author of White Mischief. Or he could begin cataloguing his 3,000 guitars. Either way, he won't worry much about the planet, despite starring in the recent Louis Vuitton ad, for which service Vuitton donated a fee to Al Gore's Foundation.

I've been invented by the media. I'm just a minstrel. I didn't want to be a rock star, just play music. I realised that to do that, you had to be famous. It has nothing to do with wanting to be a star.

The Stones weren't competitive about what they wore. The tailor Andrew Oldham had worked with the Beatles - he gave them those suits with no collars. We got uniforms to begin with. We threw them out in a week.

Bill Wyman is the biggest dandy. But Charlie Watts is the most stylish member. He spends his time on the beauty and the cut of clothing. There he is on Savile Row, and I'm the fashion icon? When I got older I wore my old lady's clothes. If you notice, all the buttons are the other side.

I wore whatever my mother put me in when I was little. Boring shorts and wee T-shirts. I wore school uniforms. I hated brown shoes. I started dressing up when I had to find what fitted. Fashion thinks more about me than what I think about it. I just wore what I wore and people noticed. The sexiest thing a woman could wear? Being stark f***ing naked.

Show me a woman who is faithful, and I won't believe you.

I don't do underwear. I never do the washing. How would I know whether my clothes stink? I throw them away.

I love books ... a well-dressed mind! Patrick O'Brian, Milton and Shakespeare are my favourite writers. And then the Bible. King Lear is my favourite character who isn't insane. It's only people who are insane who think they're not.

How did I discover the blues? When I first heard Robert Johnson.

Skulls remind us that underneath it all, we are all the same. Beauty is only skin-deep.

I can't say I'm bothered about the fate of the planet. I got a guitar case out of Louis Vuitton. They paid me a lot of money and it's all going to charity. I'm going to charity.

Posted by: Bimmelzerbott ()
Date: March 20, 2010 10:13

Read in "Zoo Magazine" that Mick wears a lot of stuff (on and off stage) by Raf Simons, Ann Demeulemester and Dries van Noeten. Seems like he has a soft spot for belgian fashion designers. All three are pretty big names in the fashion world.

Posted by: KeithNacho ()
Date: March 20, 2010 10:23

On the 81-82 tour MJ wore clothes from Decathlon

Date: March 20, 2010 10:32

Its quite often Mick and Keith might wear 2 shirts and a tee shirt at the same time or 2 tee shirts and a shirt. I dont think ive seen other musicans do that

Posted by: Bliss ()
Date: March 20, 2010 13:48

I'd love to know who did the Voodoo Lounge costumes. They were my favourite. Loved the long frock coats.

Very funny interview with Keith there, as usual.

Posted by: Harm ()
Date: March 20, 2010 16:40

Olivier Strelli, another belgian designer, dressed the stones during Bridges to Babylon

Posted by: Lady Jayne ()
Date: March 20, 2010 19:49

Mick is extremely interested in and well informed about fashion - not surprisingly given the amount of time he spends with models! A friend of mine sat next to him at a dinner and he named the designer of her dress (then an up and coming name) straight off as he admired it. My friend is gay and not a Stones fan but she said she understood something of Mick's charm as she had never come across a straight man who talked as much like a woman!

Date: March 20, 2010 20:48

Good one Lady Jayne...I like it

Posted by: RollingStonesFan ()
Date: March 20, 2010 21:11

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1649
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home